• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Law & Order To Air An Episode Inspired By #Gamergate February 11

Denton

Never seen this show but I just watched first 10 minutes, hilarious

....it is supposed to be a comedy, right ?

The developer in question ends up getting gang raped by the people that kidnapped her. They force her to read a message saying that women don't belong in gaming. SVU eventually finds her duct taped to a shotgun. The end scene has her turn to the camera and say "Women in gaming, what was I expecting?". One of officers tells her that she previously said that if she gave up then they'd win. The developer turns around and says "The already have.". It ends up with a stunned look by the officer.
Idj2H.gif

Nightbird

The developer in question ends up getting gang raped by the people that kidnapped her. They force her to read a message saying that women don't belong in gaming. SVU eventually finds her duct taped to a shotgun. The end scene has her turn to the camera and say "Women in gaming, what was I expecting?". One of officers tells her that she previously said that if she gave up then they'd win. The developer turns around and says "The already have.". It ends up with a stunned look by the officer.

Fucking hell, i thought that i shouldn't click on that Spoiler (for obvious reasons), but now i really regret that i clicked on it.

Is Law and Order always like this?

Nairume

Banned
Oh wow, that's crazy.
To also illustrate where their priorities actually lie. Felicia Day and Chris Kluwe both made statements concerning GamerGate within hours of each other.

1) Day's statement was pretty non-confrontational and amounted to "I hate how this gamergate situation has me afraid of talking to other gamers because I don't know who is going to blow up on me or not for saying the wrong thing." She was doxxed within minutes.

2) Kluwe openly attacked GG, ripped apart all their arguments, called them the most amazing string of insults, and then specifically called them out on how they largely focus their attacks on women. He wasn't doxed.

Denton

I...uh...were the dialogues and acting on this show always so terrible? And the production values? And dammit Ice-T looks completely out of place...he as a cop is one of the more hilarious thing I witnessed this week. And apparently he has been at this for 15 years, WTF?!

Alienous

david_laffin...gif

These wouldn't happen to be the same blokes that had a police pursuit occur within Second Life?

I...uh...were the dialogues and acting on this show always so terrible? And the production values? And dammit Ice-T looks completely out of place...he as a cop is one of the more hilarious thing I witnessed this week. And apparently he has been at this for 15 years, WTF?!

I saw Ice-T perform with Body Count this summer. It was pretty interesting seeing him perform Cop Killer. Best part was when he said "I play one on TV... fuck 'em"

lyrick

The episode got my wife to turn to me and say, "How do we keep our son from becoming like that?"

Which I didn't have a great response, beyond involvement and communication.

I have recognized the general toxicity of sects within the Gaming Community for years... The Gaming population in general spends a lot of time spewing hate over a lot of shit: Consoles they don't prefer, genres they don't prefer, shifts in targeted marketing, fuck even prime time dramas that don't do things they way they would have done them.

I just kinda skimmed through, so not sure if this was mentioned but I was informed by a friend that a writer for Law & Order supposedly went on reddit proclaiming these video game sections are purposely like this because they know it'll make actual gamers mad?

..is this true?

lyrick

So your wife essentially asked 'how do we keep our son from becoming a kidnapper and rapist'? Tough question for sure.

No, she was much more concerned about the general sexist overtone and gaming boys only club attitude. She's seen my younger brother play games in our house and his behavior was not too removed from that of a stereotypical COD player. My brother and I were both raised by the same parents and in very similar environments, but our online and gaming behaviors in general are quite a contrast (I was regularly taken aback by his exhibited behaviors and I play MOBAs). He's also pro GG, but that may be just a youthful misinterpretation of how morality actually works.

The point is that the show gave a very high level (and dramatized) exposure to some of the social issues that do plague gaming communities. It also got a person whose gaming predominantly exists between coop Wii U games and hidden objects games to ask questions about the gaming community and how it may effect our child.

I just kinda skimmed through, so not sure if this was mentioned but I was informed by a friend that a writer for Law & Order supposedly went on reddit proclaiming these video game sections are purposely like this because they know it'll make actual gamers mad?

..is this true?
I have a feeling I know where that friend got his info from. If I'm correct, these were people who believe that someone claiming to be an Intel employee posting on an anonymous message board is telling the truth, as well as people who think anything in the media portraying gamers as bad is because of corruption and collusion.

So I wouldn't believe those claims about SVU if I were you

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
No, she was much more concerned about the general sexist overtone and gaming boys only club attitude. She's seen my younger brother play games in our house and his behavior was not too removed from that of a stereotypical COD player. My brother and I were both raised by the same parents and in very similar environments, but our online and gaming behaviors in general are quite a contrast (I was regularly taken aback by his exhibited behaviors and I play MOBAs). He's also pro GG, but that may be just a youthful misinterpretation of how morality actually works.

The point is that the show gave a very high level (and dramatized) exposure to some of the social issues that do plague gaming communities. It also got a person whose gaming predominantly exists between coop Wii U games and hidden objects games to ask questions about the gaming community and how it may effect our child.

Some people get excited when playing games. It has been known to increase adrenaline and trigger the pleasure centers of the brain. That doesn't, however, mean that someone who enjoys playing a game, or experiences above average levels of intensity will somehow become a murderer or rapist.

For as much as GAFers will make fun of this episode, it should actually piss everyone off. Just as women in games don't want to be generalized, there are a ton of normal guys who enjoy playing video games that aren't like the perps on SVU. Unfortunately there could now a bunch of older people (SVU's target demo) who believe something that's "ripped from the headlines" to be fact, and now worry that their family members are turning into psychos due to a pastime.

lyrick

Some people get excited when playing games. It has been known to increase adrenaline and trigger the pleasure centers of the brain. That doesn't, however, mean that someone who enjoys playing a game, or experiences above average levels of intensity will somehow become a murderer or rapist.

For as much as GAFers will make fun of this episode, it should actually piss everyone off. Just as women in games don't want to be generalized, there are a ton of normal guys who enjoy playing video games that aren't like the perps on SVU. Unfortunately there could now a bunch of older people (SVU's target demo) who believe something that's "ripped from the headlines" to be fact, and now worry that their family members are turning into psychos due to a pastime.

There were supposedly hundreds of people at that SVU game convention and two displayed violent and/or sociopathic behavior. The SVU Amazonian game release party was described as 500 or so people and seven or eight of the attendees were jerks or engaged in criminal activity.

Why are you pretending that the 10 or so people portrayed negatively in the show represent all of the gaming community shown on the episode?

Who cares if the show exposed some of the darker issues plaguing the gaming community? It's not as if these problems don't actually exist.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
There were supposedly hundreds of people at that SVU game convention and two displayed violent and/or sociopathic behavior. The SVU Amazonian game release party was described as 500 or so people and seven or eight of the attendees were jerks or engaged in criminal activity.

Why are you pretending that the 10 or so people portrayed negatively in the show represent all of the gaming community shown on the episode?

Who cares if the show exposed some of the darker issues plaguing the gaming community? It's not as if these problems don't actually exist.

Because your wife saw a tv show and is worried about your son.

squall211

The people who notice how awful it is aren't exactly the show's target audience. All this procedural crime drama are for people who don't know.

There is a reason why prosecutors hate shows like CSI.

My brother is a prosecutor. He absolutely hates it when I compare his job to something I saw on a L&O episode. Like, he almost starts frothing at the mouth when I do it lol.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, as I haven't watched the episode in question, but I'm wondering if my interpretation of the ending posted could be correct:

Seems to me instead of endorsing women quitting gaming they're portraying the worst possible outcome of GG, and in so doing, trying to highlight what a problem it is. Sure, it ends on a dark note, but shouldn't that make the average person sit up and take note of the injustice? Most SVU eps end in dark ways like that.

Denton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7faUHdlh9g

Waiting for highlight clips was worth the wait. I can't believe that ending. Please tell me they really didn't use that CS reference.

The video description made me laugh

"Women in gaming... what did I expect?"

I started this cut before watching it, thinking it'd be funny. While it's funny, it's also disturbing how the writers have cooked up this dystopian nightmare misogyny fantasy. At Night, the Dick Wolf comes.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, as I haven't watched the episode in question, but I'm wondering if my interpretation of the ending posted could be correct:

Seems to me instead of endorsing women quitting gaming they're portraying the worst possible outcome of GG, and in so doing, trying to highlight what a problem it is. Sure, it ends on a dark note, but shouldn't that make the average person sit up and take note of the injustice? Most SVU eps end in dark ways like that.

Everyone loses in the end.

I liked the ending. I'd imagine it'd make most viewers mad at the situation and maybe take what's going on in real life more seriously.

This may shock some of you, but "They leveled up" and "Level complete" is not far-fetched at all when it comes to #GG

Case in point:
It's not just about ethics, it never was, it was about protecting our hobby. Then it grew into a lot more.

I think we can still win, but we have to level up.
Congrats. You picked a fight with the group that is PROVEN to produce or even CREATE exploiters; the ones who survive through cleverness. Gamers are the people who will tear down your whole defenses while you're left wondering what the hell just happened. You picked a fight with some of the smartest, most clever, most CRITICAL thinkers on the planet. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT. The people who survive and thrive are the ones that say, "Why did I mess up? How can I improve? How can I WIN?" THAT is a gamer.
Gamers INTENTIONALLY put themselves under hardship & high pressure situations. It's simulated toughness, fortitude, and resilience training. #gamergate matters because this is one time where ALL that mental training is being applied in the real world. You see, these folks have taken losses and defeats. But the difference between them and you? Loss INVIGORATES them. You just crumble.
*Actual Reddit/Twitter posts*

obonicus

I liked the ending. I'd imagine it'd make most viewers mad at the situation and maybe take what's going on in real life more seriously.

I'm not sure that presenting gamergate as an organized, sophisticated terrorist cell is very useful at helping people understand gamergate.

Also, what would taking gamergate more seriously entail?

I'm not sure that presenting gamergate as an organized, sophisticated terrorist cell is very useful at helping people understand gamergate.

Also, what would taking gamergate more seriously entail?

And it's a Law and Order episode. Most people accept it as fiction. Unless they opened the show with 'Based on true events'.

Ok, I need to hear this.
What does being a stereotypical COD player entail and why is it worrying?

C'mon, son. You know exactly what he's talking about. Don't try to be obtuse. And I can't believe you're even poking at this guy because him and his wife want to make sure their kid doesn't turn into a shit spewing fuck stain on the internet.

RawNuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7faUHdlh9g

Waiting for highlight clips was worth the wait. I can't believe that ending. Please tell me they really didn't use that CS reference.
Holy crap that was amazing. If someone told me that Tommy Wiseau wrote this episode, I wouldn't have even questioned them.

"Redchanit" was pretty damn funny as well, though I feel like they missed an opportunity to reference something like "NeoFAQs" as a forum.

ElNarez

Banned

This is literally saying to Gamergate "Yo, if you keep escalating, you will get exactly what you want". How the fuck was anyone at NBC okay with being this goddamn irresponsible? How the fuck is this helping anyone? Like, fuck the ridiculous lines about Kotaku, whatever, but this is fucking reprehensible.

Top Bottom