• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Law School & Lawyer GAF

MechaX

Thanks folks. Hell, the reality hasn't even really hit me yet; I wasn't even expecting to get an offer in the slightest.

Awesome news. What sort of government gig?

State's entry level assistant attorney general position. My position is in a field I do genuinely have an interest in, and it definitely pays a hell of a lot better than my current job. Plus, the people seem hard working and nice, so hopefully I can have some positive stories compared to friends that went the Big Law route or others that went to straight legal academia.

Just lost my job due to downsizing/force shaping. Fortunately, I've got until the end of the year to find something else, but it's still a kick in the teeth, even if it's all numbers-based.

To all the rest of you job hunters out there, godspeed. It seems like this thread's shown us that the market's not entirely too brutal out there, so let's hope that trend continues.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Sorry to hear it. The market is definitely a lot better for legal jobs than it was a few years ago. Good luck!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just lost my job due to downsizing/force shaping. Fortunately, I've got until the end of the year to find something else, but it's still a kick in the teeth, even if it's all numbers-based.

To all the rest of you job hunters out there, godspeed. It seems like this thread's shown us that the market's not entirely too brutal out there, so let's hope that trend continues.
Sorry to hear :(

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Sucks, man. :(

Sorry to hear that. Are you working until the end of the year, or just getting paid?

My solo firm is actually starting to get more clients. Been doing lots of game industry targeting through guest posts and appearances on podcasts, so it's helping to get the word out. Even had a call from a WSJ reporter and a NYT reporter (for help on a book she is writing). I'm not making a lot of money, but I am loving my life far more than I would if I had gone into a work-your-ass-off firm.

Plus, I'm able to travel around the world while doing it. Not too bad.

MechaX

Sorry to hear that man. I hope you end up landing on your feet pretty quick.

Dascu

How would I, a Belgian law graduate, go about finding a position the USA in the legal field? Not necessarily a law firm, even academic positions interest me.

I'm specialized in intellectual property law (copyright/patents) in the software and technology field (hi ZackieChan). I've got some experience already working in Brussels.

Peltz

I passed the NY Bar Exam!!!

Stephen-colbert-celebration-gif.gif

Pollux

Pollux, Esq.

Thank fucking God that's over with.

Congrats to the rest of Legal-GAF that just got their bar results back as well!

Sorry to hear that man. I hope you end up landing on your feet pretty quick.

I realize I'm LTTP here, but it's been a hectic month. And, for what it's worth, I sorta did land on my feet: I'm just looking for volunteer opportunities now as I pursue an LL.M. degree. I'm not sure if that's success or not, but it's definitely palatable, and I'm excited about transitioning.

Anyone know places in D.C. looking for externs with 6 years of experience?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dear Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals:

Thank you for giving me 10 days to draft a 25 page Appellate Brief + 10 paper copies that need to be bound and sent to the clerk's office in San Francisco, a city which is 400 miles from my office. Oh, and they have to be filed on that tenth day exactly, meaning I actually have nine days to draft and complete it plus all copies. Oh but the binder takes more than an hour to make all those copies so I actually have 8. Oh and its a simultaneous briefing on an appeal that isn't mine so I only vaguely even know what I'm briefing on.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Dear Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals:

Thank you for giving me 10 days to draft a 25 page Appellate Brief + 10 paper copies that need to be bound and sent to the clerk's office in San Francisco, a city which is 400 miles from my office. Oh, and they have to be filed on that tenth day exactly, meaning I actually have nine days to draft and complete it plus all copies. Oh but the binder takes more than an hour to make all those copies so I actually have 8. Oh and its a simultaneous briefing on an appeal that isn't mine so I only vaguely even know what I'm briefing on.
That's just a suggested deadline. Take as much time as you want!

meanspartan

I am starting to lose it....Ca bar results Friday and I came out of the test honestly feeling like it could go either way. I think I did pretty good on the essays but the MBEs killed me. I was consoled by the fact that most people seemed to think they were harder than Barbri's questions (even though Barbri themselves told us their tests are harder), but now I am seeing that passage rates are down in so many other states due to a harder MBE. I thought maybe they'd lower their standards a bit if they saw the average drop this much year over year, but apparently State Bars are fine just brushing it off and having less people pass. Fuck.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I am starting to lose it....Ca bar results Friday and I came out of the test honestly feeling like it could go either way. I think I did pretty good on the essays but the MBEs killed me. I was consoled by the fact that most people seemed to think they were harder than Barbri's questions (even though Barbri themselves told us their tests are harder), but now I am seeing that passage rates are down in so many other states due to a harder MBE. I thought maybe they'd lower their standards a bit if they saw the average drop this much year over year, but apparently State Bars are fine just brushing it off and having less people pass. Fuck.

I think everyone has doubts when they leave the bar, and those that don't probably don't know enough to know what they don't know (if that makes sense)! Have faith!

meanspartan

Well....fuck tonight. Didn't pass, or at least it isn't finding me on the pass list or whatever when I enter the proper numbers, so I guess I can pray for a miracle? lol

The worst part is that the second time pass rate in California was 14% (!). The urge to just walk away is real.

Well....fuck tonight. Didn't pass, or at least it isn't finding me on the pass list or whatever when I enter the proper numbers, so I guess I can pray for a miracle? lol

The worst part is that the second time pass rate in California was 14% (!). The urge to just walk away is real.

Even though I passed, I can sympathize 100% with you. I had many friends who did not pass last year when they took it in July. Even though the repeat taker pass rate is low, I feel that there are a lot of variables that skew that number. It's really important to just take a step back and just unwind for a bit. Really analyze where and why you went wrong in certain places.

meanspartan

Even though I passed, I can sympathize 100% with you. I had many friends who did not pass last year when they took it in July. Even though the repeat taker pass rate is low, I feel that there are a lot of variables that skew that number. It's really important to just take a step back and just unwind for a bit. Really analyze where and why you went wrong in certain places.

Thanks....I suppose I'll see what the graded results they mail out in a month or so say. Perhaps start studying around then in late December. That'll give me two months. I guess I should do more but I just don't have it in me right now to even think about this shit.

And congratulations!!!!! Hopefully, I'll be joining you in celebration, just gonna be a bit LTTP. We'll see.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

It can happen to the best of us. I say try again. Now, if you failed twice, I could understand being down on yourself. But for the first time? Cheer up. Get back on that horse, study hard, and give it another go.

meanspartan

It can happen to the best of us. I say try again. Now, if you failed twice, I could understand being down on yourself. But for the first time? Cheer up. Get back on that horse, study hard, and give it another go.

My friend sent me a link to help me feel better, it had prominent people that failed the Bar. Outside of a Dean of Stanford and FDR, the most shocking to me was Justice Cardozo, who didn't pass til his 6th attempt. So I guess I'm not disqualified from the SC until my 7th failure.

Not sure the best place to ask but maybe I can start here. For the last 2 months me and my wife have been dealing with some to put it nicely bullshit from our neighbor underneath us in our condo complex. Ever since she moved we've been hearing her yell and scream and thought she just fought with her spouse alot until we started to listen closer and realized she was insulting us. She was yelling in her apartment cursing us out and damning us almost everytime we moved an inch no matter what time of day it was even multiple times when we were laying in bed. We ignored the insulting and verbal abuse because we figured something was wrong with her and let it go.

This all changed though when about 2-3 weeks ago she started banging on our door at around 11:30 pm. I opened the door and she immediately began asking why were we harassing her and why was my wife constantly walking around banging her feet on the floor to bother her. I asked her what was she talking about since my wife had been either laying on the couch watching netflix or asleep for the past 3-4 hours. She began calling me a liar and stated that no she could hear her banging her feet on the floor and at this point I said enough is enough and slammed the door in her face and walked away. I'm guessing this set her off more as she began to yell as she walked back down to her appartment and started to bang on the ceiling making sure we could hear it. We quickly contacted our landlord and informed her of the situation and how to proceed and our landlord said she would speak with her.

The lardlord came over about two days later to talk with the lady and see what the problem was. The lady informed our landlord that we were harassing her constantly and it began as soon as she moved in even though our only interaction before her knocking on our door was a hello when she first moved in. She stated that we had kids constantly running around even though me and my wife live alone with no kids and our landlord knows this. She complained that we were always too loud even though we work a general 8-5 Mon to Friday and go to sleep around 10 each day. She even told our landlord that we were following her around and stalking her. No idea how she came to that outside of the fact that the condo complex only has one exit in which everyone has to use. She said this problem was constantly going with us and wasn't happening till we moved in even though this lady moved in about 4 months after we did. Our landlord basically listened what she had to say and told her to leave us alone and came and talked to us and told us she is going to get the condo management and the local police involved .

Everything seemed fine for the last couple of weeks although we could still hear her insulting us although in a much quieter tone now until tonight about and hour ago. We hear banging on one of the backdoors and look out the back window and see the cops are here[Two cop SUVs actually]. She begins telling the cops that we keep harassing her and that it needs to stop. The cops say she has been calling in since September and that it has to stop there is nothing they can do and she needs to talk to the condo management and to file a restraining order if she feels the we are seriously harrasing her. Honestly I'm fucking tired of that old bitch. We've tried our hardest to be as quiet as possible if we were making too much noise but saw that she would complain even on times when we weren't home all day. It's been difficult to document what she does because like a coward she only does it when only me and my wife our home although I'm sure some of the other neighbors have heard her. Does anyone have any idea on how to handle this situation exactly? I'm thinking of going down and filing a restraining order because the constant disgusting verbal abuse from her and the fact that she is trying to get the cops involved like we did something wrong is infuriating. Thanks GAF

My friend sent me a link to help me feel better, it had prominent people that failed the Bar. Outside of a Dean of Stanford and FDR, the most shocking to me was Justice Cardozo, who didn't pass til his 6th attempt. So I guess I'm not disqualified from the SC until my 7th failure.

This last CA exam was brutal. Much lower passage rate than normal according to calbar.ca.gov. Don't feel too down on yourself. My wife's friend has now tried multiple times and still keeps her head up somehow, so just know you've alwayd got a chance once you take a look at your results and look at what you need to fix.

In other somewhat related news, I finally got my second state to waive me in (fuck taking another bar exam after that CA nightmare years ago). I love the states that let you waive in like TX and WA and it also helps that my firm is encouraging me (i.e. paying for it) to get multiple licenses under my belt. Sorry, just wanted to puff my chest for a second.

Count me in as another one testing out employment options. I'm two and half years at the firm I've been at since graduating law school and I'm looking into changing states to a much larger legal market. The only problem is I have very little experience in that state although I'm barred there and went to law school there. Wish me luck!

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Hey Law-GAF

after 6 years as an associate, I just made partner. I am pretty excited about it and proud that all the hard work has paid off. So just keep in mind there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

PBY

Banned
Hey Law-GAF

after 6 years as an associate, I just made partner. I am pretty excited about it and proud that all the hard work has paid off. So just keep in mind there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Woah dude- 6 years only? Congrats man

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Woah dude- 6 years only? Congrats man

Thanks!

Its a smaller firm (total of 5 attorneys) so the 7 year rule doesn't really apply but it still feels good to accomplish.

I graduated in 2009 so I've been through the tough times and worked my way up (at 2 different firms). Its a little daunting not being on a straight salary anymore but my wife and I will adjust!

Bboy AJ

Hey Law-GAF

Congrats! Now find gafers jobs.

PBY

Banned
Thanks!

Its a smaller firm (total of 5 attorneys) so the 7 year rule doesn't really apply but it still feels good to accomplish.

I graduated in 2009 so I've been through the tough times and worked my way up (at 2 different firms). Its a little daunting not being on a straight salary anymore but my wife and I will adjust!
Ah. Makes more sense. Just started at my firm and it's around 10 years tbh. 500 attorneys tho

Still a huge accomplishment.

Top Bottom