• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layoffs hit ID Software Today

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
No, that is not true with their past games. It is only true with Rage, and look where there that sort of mentality has left them.

their past games were present on all platforms. Carmack just liked developing for PC because it allowed freedom and was commercially viable. Now it allows freedom only.

their past games were present on all platforms. Carmack just liked developing for PC because it allowed freedom and was commercially viable. Now it allows freedom only.

I think Rage would have probably gotten more buzz and success if it was touted as a big balls out PC exclusive shooter like when Crysis came out. At least then it would have had something special about it...

subversus

I think Rage would have probably gotten more buzz and success if it was touted as a big balls out PC exclusive shooter like when Crysis came out. At least then it would have had something special about it...

I agree but it would do the same numbers. Extra sales from hype but no other platforms = ok sales.

It would gain much more traction if it used PC as a lead platform and was also ported to consoles.

padlock

I think this is a fine example of how sometimes it's best to be the big fish in a small pond (PC games) as opposed to a small fish in the ocean.

My bet is that Rage would have sold quite a bit better if they had decided to make it an an event game (i.e. graphical powerhouse) for the PC, rather then another me too multi platform release.

StuBurns

Banned
A real shame, but when you do spend such a long amount of time making a middling game there is always a cost.

There was lots of talk from id about wanting to roll straight into Rage 2, but I guess this means it wasn't greenlit? No chance D4 is canned.

TommyT

Sad to hear this. One of my buddies was affected by it. With the state that Doom was in just after RAGE was released I figured it would have been all hands to bring it up to speed. :\

[Nintex]

Sad to hear this. One of my buddies was affected by it. With the state that Doom was in just after RAGE was released I figured it would have been all hands to bring it up to speed. :\

Sorry to hear about your friend but that about Doom... yikes.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think the big problem here isn't the fact that it was first developed for console. It's that the game just wasn't very good. It's not like it did gangbusters on console.

I agree but it would do the same numbers. Extra sales from hype but no other platforms = ok sales.

It would gain much more traction if it used PC as a lead platform and was also ported to consoles.

In his saddingly down to earth tech talks about rage he talks about how they wasted like 2 years trying to get around the engine limitations for consoles. (he didn't say two years but he did say they kept having to go back over and over and over to get things to work and because he couldn't just work with 8k textures and a bunch of other stuff that he could do with PC ram it took way way way longer than they had expected).

Someone still have a link to the interview I cant remember the details.

If he had stuck to a pc only game he probably would have finished a long time ago with making rage.
If the dev time is shortened by loads then it doesn't have to sell more to be more profitable.
Maybe they'd even have time to actually make a decent second half for the game and finish their levels and release it less buggy and it would have been received better.

Alxjn

That's a shame.

Rage wasn't perfect, but they got what matters the most close to perfect: The gunplay.
Thoroughly enjoyed it for that reason and the amazing visual style.

I get the impression from this thread that releasing Rage as PC exclusive would've been better, both critically and financially? Just because they stayed true to their core audience?

That's a shame.

Rage wasn't perfect, but they got what matters the most close to perfect: The gunplay.
Thoroughly enjoyed it for that reason and the amazing visual style.

Your first shot had diceroll spread (before recoil kicks in) , unlike in any other arena or oldschool shooter ever made.
That alone completely killed the game for me, you get in he groove and twitch headshot people left and right but get denied by the game.
It made the hit detection feel like SHIT.

I think the big problem here isn't the fact that it was first developed for console. It's that the game just wasn't very good. It's not like it did gangbusters on console.

This was an INSANELY competitive holiday season. The game was very solid. I loved it on Xbox 360. What didn't work - the reason that it didn't have legs - is the multiplayer. When you consider what the game was up against, RAGE would've been better served being released in a far less crowded window. Possibly Feb-march 2012. Considering the window, the game didn't have a chance.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

They did say at QuakeCon that they intend to put everyone on the game for a "couple of years".

That sounded really odd to me at the time given how long it was in development, but this comment makes that make a lot more sense.

Raw64life

Sorry to hear. Got Rage on Steam for $15 a couple of weeks ago and loving every minute of it, although I don't play FPS games very often.

daedalius

Your first shot had diceroll spread (before recoil kicks in) , unlike in any other arena or oldschool shooter ever made.
That alone completely killed the game for me, you get in he groove and twitch headshot people left and right but get denied by the game.
It made the hit detection feel like SHIT.

I think this is one of the things that pushed me away from it. That assault rifle recoil is just garbage, not sure how you're supposed to hit much of anything.

padlock

I get the impression from this thread that releasing Rage as PC exclusive would've been better, both critically and financially? Just because they stayed true to their core audience?

No. Because they could have made a more exiting game.

Id games used to be a huge event to PC gamers. Think Blizzard or Valve levels of hype.

Unlike Blizzard or Valve however, that hype was heavily based not on gameplay, but on the incrdible graphical inovations their games introduced. Going multiplatform prevented that, causing Id to really only on it's game design prowess to attract attention. Obviously, it didn't work out to well.

MDSLKTR

ID typical development cycle with consoles was a recipe for disaster.
Hopefully they learn from that and go back to making graphical engines that are defining benchmarks at the time of their release and not adapt it to platforms that become technologically obsolete once their game is done.

Deadbeat

Banned
Doom 3 has shown they dont have the talent to compete with the big boys anymore regardless if its PC exclusive or not.

I hope the people that made the music for Rage get picked up right away. Only thing I liked about the game.

Maybe im too much of a communist and not enough of a capitalist but it's insane to me that a company that has raked in as much money as id over the years has to lay people off because of one game that didn't even bomb, per se, it just wasn't HUGE.

Retool, figure out what went wrong and move on. Cutting people to create a better bottom line when you are all millionaires just makes me sick.

subversus

No. Because they could have made a more exiting game.

Id games used to be a huge event to PC gamers. Think Blizzard or Valve levels of hype.

Unlike Blizzard or Valve however, that hype was heavily based not on gameplay, but on the incrdible graphical inovations their games introduced. Going multiplatform prevented that, causing Id to really only on it's game design prowess to attract attention. Obviously, it didn't work out to well.

I totally don't agree with you. D1-2, Q1-3 had outstanding gameplay AND outstanding graphics. When only graphics left we got Doom III. Then they decided to ditch graphics too.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This was an INSANELY competitive holiday season. The game was very solid. I loved it on Xbox 360. What didn't work - the reason that it didn't have legs - is the multiplayer. When you consider what the game was up against, RAGE would've been better served being released in a far less crowded window. Possibly Feb-march 2012. Considering the window, the game didn't have a chance.

Feb-March 2012. Another 4-5 months of salaries and dev time. And the game still would've been mediocre. I mean, good games come out in Feb-March... and mediocre games flop in that time period too. I don't think the calendar was ever going to save this one.

It's entirely possible that Betheseda felt that a game from id, with all this dev time, was going to be one of this year's star games, which is why they positioned it when they did.

disco

Are you happy the pressures you put on the industry graphics whores?

Hope they're all alright. I can imagine how depressing it must be. :(

padlock

I totally don't agree with you. D1-2, Q1-3 had outstanding gameplay AND outstanding graphics. When only graphics left we got Doom III. Then they decided to ditch graphics too.

I never said Id games weren't fun also. But to deny that a huge amount of the appeal of Id games was due to their graphical prowess is dishonest I think.

Also, Doom 3 sold extremely well and was a huge money maker for them. Way better then Rage will ever be, I'm willing to bet.

VVIS

Neo Member
Maybe im too much of a communist and not enough of a capitalist but it's insane to me that a company that has raked in as much money as id over the years has to lay people off because of one game that didn't even bomb, per se, it just wasn't HUGE.

Retool, figure out what went wrong and move on. Cutting people to create a better bottom line when you are all millionaires just makes me sick.

id is owned by ...Zenimax now, so it's slightly more complicated simple than that.

Top Bottom