• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Le Pen dislikes many people, but not Russians for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey English-speaking Francophones, and others, is her first name pronounced like:
  • Marine, like "Marine Fishery" or "United States Marine Corps" ("Mareen")
  • Marine, like Mar-a-nay or Mare-e-neh (almost like "marinade")
I ask because I grew up with a Franco American who's name was pronounced like "Mare-e-nay," similar to the word "marinade" ("Marinade chicken" minus the D). But I hear her name pronounce more like "Marine" or "Mareenay."

Halp me, what's right?

Jasup

Is she the female version of Trump?
It's basically the other way around

Macron, the centrist, is currently leading but everything is in flux right now because the heavy favorite from two weeks ago is caught up in a huge number of scandals and I'm not sure if Macron is scandal free considering that he's been barely visible until recently and he was a banker.

It's notable that Le Pen is also caught in similar scandal as Fillon, refusing to pay back 300 000€ of the EU money she misspent. But it's money from the European Parliament so that doesn't count, rather it's seemingly more power to her. Stick it to the man amirite?

oti

Banned

It's notable that Le Pen is also caught in similar scandal as Fillon, refusing to pay back 300 000€ of the EU money she misspent. But it's money from the European Parliament so that doesn't count, rather it's seemingly more power to her. Stick it to the man amirite?

Seriously, is that just going nowhere or what?

Morat

Banned

Apparently you can just shrug it off, RE: Farage.

Mael

Of course LePen likes Russia, she's been bankrolled by them for half a decade at least.
It's either that or stealing from the EU to finance their shitty party anyway.
Of course she also says she wants out of the EU despite being the party the most dependent on EU 'handouts' but it's pretty common for anti EU people anyway.

Hypron

Hey English-speaking Francophones, and others, is her first name pronounced like:
  • Marine, like "Marine Fishery" or "United States Marine Corps" ("Mareen")
  • Marine, like Mar-a-nay or Mare-e-neh (almost like "marinade")
I ask because I grew up with a Franco American who's name was pronounced like "Mare-e-nay," similar to the word "marinade" ("Marinade chicken" minus the D). But I hear her name pronounce more like "Marine" or "Mareenay."

Halp me, what's right?

It's Mareen - the "ee" sound is short though. "e"s at the end of French words/names are silent unless they have an acute accent (é), in which case they're pronounced roughly like "ay" without the y sound.

Edit: Actually, here's a link with Audio.

oti

Banned
Of course not, unlike with Fillon which is about alleged misuse of taxpayers money, in Le Pen's case it's about misusing taxpayers money. Totally different.

It's terrible to see that the EU apparently has no real defence mechanisms in place to battle this kind of abuse. Feels powerless.

Mael

It's terrible to see that the EU apparently has no real defence mechanisms in place to battle this kind of abuse. Feels powerless.

They're getting sued over it and will probably pay fines but as far as French politics is concerned, who cares it's the EU, amirite?

Jasup

They're getting sued over it and will probably pay fines but as far as French politics is concerned, who cares it's the EU, amirite?

Basically, with the so inclined (which is not a small amount of people) the EU is seen as "the other". It's always us vs. the EU, with no understanding what the EU really is - a multilateral agreement between sovereign nations with commonly agreed supernational institutions governing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom