• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT12| No more Lyte, just darkness.

hurry up and spam your shitty fan art so Dob has to post it

tumblr_okow5ynp4Y1s0adc8o1_1280.jpg

Yuck Fasuo

giphy.gif

Never seen that Illaoi one before. Love it. That's the look of a woman who would grind your hips down to dust while sacrificing your soul to the her god.

I need some sage advice, as usual. I've had an issue with Illaoi's W not going off properly. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened enough that it is really starting to annoy me. I took a highlight from my previous game, and you can see me activate my W, launch at Lee Sin, then it stops before I hit. Thus, my tentacles don't go pound town. Is this a bug?

Leezard

One step closer to getting back to my good old dia 3.

Never seen that Illaoi one before. Love it. That's the look of a woman who would grind your hips down to dust while sacrificing your soul to the her god.

I need some sage advice, as usual. I've had an issue with Illaoi's W not going off properly. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened enough that it is really starting to annoy me. I took a highlight from my previous game, and you can see me activate my W, launch at Lee Sin, then it stops before I hit. Thus, my tentacles don't go pound town. Is this a bug?

Seems to me that you are cancelling your autos. It's really easy to mistakenly cancel your W attack will Illaoi. If you did not mistakenly cancel it I have no idea what happened.

JulianImp

I'm still really bad at knowing when to teleport in as a top laner. I find myself hardly using it, and so I've pondered if I should just stop bringing it and switch for something else? I'm sure I'm missing a lot of opportunities, but it'd sure help if bot lane put out more wards, or I got wards down in dragon bit when a fight was breaking out. I feel like my TP is going to waste.

Yeah, I'd agree that it takes lots of map awareness and some planning ahead in order to actually know when to TP back to lane and when to save it for later. So far, my rules of thumb as a newbie to top lane are:
  • TPing back to lane early on is okay to avoid losing farm, but later on it's only adviseable if enemy minions are about to get to your tower with champions helping them push (creeps pushing by themselves are OK unless the tower's about to fall)
  • Tell your team to ward if they can, since that's what gives you TP options, and flanking to cut off an opponent's escape is way better at times than just joining your team in a chase
  • Adding to the previous point, try to anticipate your teammates going "gg top never TPs" and preemptively tell them to ward to maximize the chances of your TPs leading to good plays (still, people in bronze never ward even when I ask them to, and god forbid they spend 75 gold to get a control ward...)
  • Remember you can get interrupted out of TP with hard CC, and try to do it to the enemy top if you can. Even burning your ult as Malph or Naut will be a net gain since your cooldown will be much lower than theirs
  • If a turret's about to fall and three seconds of minion invulnerability would make the difference between getting it and having to retreat, then you could try to TP into a minion as it tanks turret aggro
  • Try to keep track of back timers. Someone backing means they'll be back in lane in around 30 seconds at best, so use that information to know whether it'd make sense to TP back in or just walk instead

Jarsonot

Been playing Tahm recently and really liking him. Being a tank is pretty refreshing after being so squishy on other champs. And saving people is amazing.

Don't use his ult much because I'd messed it up and don't really understand the mechanics of it completely. Use it to return to lane quicker, and to get ahead of people we're chasing.

Is this right: I hit R once on the place I want to warp to, and start channeling. If someone clicks me they come along for the ride. If I let the channeling finish it cancels; I have to hit R again to actually warp. It's the first R that determines the location. Right?

TheFlow

Banned
One step closer to getting back to my good old dia 3.

Seems to me that you are cancelling your autos. It's really easy to mistakenly cancel your W attack will Illaoi. If you did not mistakenly cancel it I have no idea what happened.

how are you getting so far as a support main?

Newt

ADC's start getting semi-competent around Plat+
Has nothing to do with that. Gold supports are trash, and they just sit back and expect the ADCs to do everything.

When they play like that, they're putting more pressure on the ADC, since the ADC has to worry about harassing, farming and zoning when in the ideal case they should only have to worry about farming.

Out of the roles, I see the biggest difference between low elo support and high elo supports. The big issue with support though, is that there's lots of braindead champs where this distinction doesn't matter. Three out of the top 5 for winrate are like this.

Leezard

how are you getting so far as a support main?

It's a bit of what Newt is saying. It's important to play aggressive and zone the enemy. Usually it's the support that dictates bot lane in early game rather than the adc. Adc absolutely matters, but if there's a passive support on one side (hide in brush and do nothing else), that side has a huge disadvantage. I like to play supports that can play aggressive but also play safer if it's absolutely necessary, like Lulu/Nami. Zyra is nice too though. I pick blitz to not hate the game if the enemies pick Soraka.

If your adc is not very good you identify someone else on your team you need to enable.

Also, vision control is huge and determines games. Putting up the right wards and clearing the right spots from enemy vision is key.

You do have a fair bit of influence on the game as support.

ADC's start getting semi-competent around Plat+
This helps as well. Champs that are more teammate-enabling are stronger when your teammates start to get somewhat competent. This just means champs like Janna/Lulu get more useful.

TheFlow

Banned
It's a bit of what Newt is saying. It's important to play aggressive and zone the enemy. Usually it's the support that dictates bot lane in early game rather than the adc. Adc absolutely matters, but if there's a passive support on one side (hide in brush and do nothing else), that side has a huge disadvantage. I like to play supports that can play aggressive but also play safer if it's absolutely necessary, like Lulu/Nami. Zyra is nice too though. I pick blitz to not hate the game if the enemies pick Soraka.

If your adc is not very good you identify someone else on your team you need to enable.

Also, vision control is huge and determines games. Putting up the right wards and clearing the right spots from enemy vision is key.

You do have a fair bit of influence on the game as support.

This helps as well. Champs that are more teammate-enabling are stronger when your teammates start to get somewhat competent. This just means champs like Janna/Lulu get more useful.

ah I gotcha fam. I started to go back to one trick nami support.

https://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=7flow

I also take athenes time to time now.

JulianImp

Played Morg support for the first time since forever earlier today, and man I had forgotten how much I don't actually like her kit. We still won after a pretty drawn-out game, but I felt like I could've helped a lot more as good old Nami.

Regarding support picks, I mostly go with Nami, with Thresh on the side. Lulu really doesn't work all that well at bronze, since my team is often badly coordinated and her disruption ends up either being win-more or useless, as some teammates start thinking they can dive 1v5 because Lulu's got their back or something. I had a decent game as MF support when the other team picked Zyra as well (gotta love her mobility boost and zoning ability).

On the other hand, Singed top is still a blast to play. I won lane against a Fiora with lots of farm and kills more than her because she kept chasing me when I used ult and/or ghost, but then went on to lose the game because my teammates were all squishy and kept looking for fights without me around, and would often go in alone as well. I was often big enough a threat to get four people to come against me, but even then my teammates were often too far behind to actually go and take advantage of the enemy team being stuck fighting me on the other end of the map. Even then, it was fun since I got to learn a bit more about when to keep harassing and when I should just gtfo.

Newt

Been playing Tahm recently and really liking him. Being a tank is pretty refreshing after being so squishy on other champs. And saving people is amazing.

Don't use his ult much because I'd messed it up and don't really understand the mechanics of it completely. Use it to return to lane quicker, and to get ahead of people we're chasing.

Is this right: I hit R once on the place I want to warp to, and start channeling. If someone clicks me they come along for the ride. If I let the channeling finish it cancels; I have to hit R again to actually warp. It's the first R that determines the location. Right?
I really like Tahm, he's one the highest skillcap supports. Yes, it's the first R that determines the location. His R is mostly used to roam and flank, using it to get somewhere faster is a waste.

Also, even if these lethality changes break the game, I'm really loving it.

drawkcaB

There's a bug that let's Tahm Kench Devourer (W) blue and red buff monsters. I managed to do a couple of practice clears where I used it on both buff monsters.

And then I cried. Why Riot? Why won't you let me do this for real??? Unclog the jungle frog! It's a perfect buff! Gives him a bit more punch to his kit without really impacting his laning, top or supp.

(For those wondering, you pull the buff monster into a bush and purposefully lose vision of it. Then, you hammer on the W key like a madman where the monster will appear. If you click on W at the exact moment, you get to gobble him up.)

Feels good to get carried. Noc actually seems like a good pick atm.

He is...when built as an assassin. That was true even before the lethality changes but now it's a no-brainer. The more popular blood razor/bortk build is more common but should actually be situational to the opposing comp.

zkylon

zkylewd
seems like the post-nerf syndra build has been e max second again

will have to try it myself, i was still maxing w second because i enjoy the poke and dps, but e max makes sense

killatopak

Haven't bothered to change my in long time haha. I'll change it later once I'm not on mobile.

Nice fan art though. I really like chibi designs.

JulianImp

So, I just lost two ranked games at 0LP, so of course I'm demoted back to B5. The struggle is real...

Latest game was really vexing, since after the game was done I checked and realized that our adc-jg-mid were a premade... and of course the adc went 0/7 against Yasuo and the jungler did nothing and complained about bad internet until disconnecting for like half the game. Then Sej came back and was like "not my problem".

The best part is I didn't know about my demotion at first (maybe the old client is bugged or something?), so I was talking to zky and he was like "don't worry, I've lost many games at 0LP without getting demoted", but then I logged back in after checking my profile online because it said B5 and lo and behold, I was really back at bronze 5!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
So, I just lost two ranked games at 0LP, so of course I'm demoted back to B5. The struggle is real...

Latest game was really vexing, since after the game was done I checked and realized that our adc-jg-mid were a premade... and of course the adc went 0/7 against Yasuo and the jungler did nothing and complained about bad internet until disconnecting for like half the game. Then Sej came back and was like "not my problem".

The best part is I didn't know about my demotion at first (maybe the old client is bugged or something?), so I was talking to zky and he was like "don't worry, I've lost many games at 0LP without getting demoted", but then I logged back in after checking my profile online because it said B5 and lo and behold, I was really back at bronze 5!

are you flexing?

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Hoping to finish the thread tomorrow. I'm slow and I have to do like daily essays for the next 3 weeks but it's coming along nicely.

JulianImp

are you flexing?

Yeah. I just didn't feel like going soloq since I'm still not playing for real. Like, my toplane champion pool is awfully shallow for now, and that won't change for quite a while since IP takes forever to grind and I don't think just spamming Singed and the occasional Yorick will actually help against ranged top laners.

I guess it'd be a nice way to avoid duos/trios, but even then that awful trio match everyone was either lv30 or bronze5-4, so it wasn't like flex went nuts and matched us up against plats like that one time.

I think I lose about 3 or 4 and didnt get demoted to B5

JulianImp

I think I lose about 3 or 4 and didnt get demoted to B5

Well the facts are that after getting promoted I kept going one-and-one, gaining 17-18 LP on each win and losing them all after each loss, but earlier today I lost two games and am now back in B5 with 75 LP.

The weirdest part was that the legacy client somehow failed to inform me this, so I only got to see "oh well, welcome back to B5!" message after I logged back in.

I know the demotion process is probably meant ot be a black box to avoid it being gamed by players, but I kind of don't feel all that encouraged to keep trying to play ranked if two bad games in a row are what it takes to set me back about four wins (two to get back to 100 LP, and then two more to get promoted back into B4).

zkylon

zkylewd
if u get demoted that quick that's the system assessing you belong in b5

idea is that you prove the system wrong by winning a bunch so that it corrects itself if it had underestimated u

if you go 1-1 a lot and then lose a few in a row the system is probably like "ok he was just lucky, back to the pits with ya!"

in the end if you're b5 the climb is gonna be steep no matter how transparent the system. you can't climb going 1-1 or 2-1, you have to go 5-1 or whatever to climb, and that means taking those losses as learning experiences and getting better

it's a struggle alright

Talents

Banned
9 hours till Faker streams on Twitch. He's probably gonna end up pulling like 120k viewers or some shit. Wish it was easier to watch Dopa but the website he streams on is so laggy for me. RIP

Newt

For you guys in Bronze 5, don't worry about champ pools, ideal itemization and timing summoners etc.

Play 1-2 champs, focus on doing well on those champs. That's more than enough.

zkylon

zkylewd
generation_ahri_2017_by_goomrrat-day1ycg.jpg

noot hurry the fuck up with the thread

and riot hurry the fuck up with the chroma ip sales

For you guys in Bronze 5, don't worry about champ pools, ideal itemization and timing summoners etc.

yeah

having a small champion pool allows you to focus on getting better at the things you're bound to be super sucky at, like map awareness, warding, when to take baron, positioning, not tilting, all that crap

also make sure those 1-2 champions aren't yasuo and lee sin lol

Newt

also make sure those 1-2 champions aren't yasuo and lee sin lol

I was shocked to see how good Envelaap was at Lee Sin. I'm like, "This guy could even make it to plat playing like that".

Then I was even more shocked to see how bad he was at Yasuo. "How did this guy make it out of bronze"?

Envelaap is a weird player.

Does that mean I can play nothing but Yasuo
If you were to play Yasuo in solo q and get a good amount of games in, you would probably get better at Yasuo yeah.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think it's less of a mechanics thing and more of a "what does this champion demand from me" thing

like lux requires u to land skillshots which is a mechanics thing but you're not asked to snowball your lane or roam or contribute a lot of consistent teamfight damage or land a crazy ult like leblanc, tf, ryze or ori

you just have to fish for snares and you land one and press all the buttons and rinse and repeat

yasuo and lee are champions that require you to snowball early game and that's tricky when you don't have the bestest of game sense

Well the facts are that after getting promoted I kept going one-and-one, gaining 17-18 LP on each win and losing them all after each loss, but earlier today I lost two games and am now back in B5 with 75 LP.

The weirdest part was that the legacy client somehow failed to inform me this, so I only got to see "oh well, welcome back to B5!" message after I logged back in.

I know the demotion process is probably meant ot be a black box to avoid it being gamed by players, but I kind of don't feel all that encouraged to keep trying to play ranked if two bad games in a row are what it takes to set me back about four wins (two to get back to 100 LP, and then two more to get promoted back into B4).

Your LP gainings are telling you a clue, you are getting pretty low points.

For top Imma recommend playing Susan.

bronze JGs suck and wont always invest time into camping him. Kinda like Garen he's mechanically an easy champ to understand which allows you the time and energy to focus on learning things like proper farming and how to manage waves. Also people at low elo don't kite well.

And given his rep you may get the team to FF just by acing them in a TF and showing that none of them can fight you. Even a 16 kill Kat will go "Oh fuck, we let Susan farm. GG" after getting popped by a Q and doing very lil to him.

Really, playing him in normals and people don't know what to do once you scale up.
Actually, wonder what type of Juggernaut Riot will make next. Wonder if Galio will be reworded into one.... I mean, a "Tank Battle Mage" seems like a prefect fit for an AP Juggernaut.

Still trying to find some carry Tops to add to my list though. Starting to think WW might be one ... people sleeping on him TOP imo.

JulianImp

Your LP gainings are telling you a clue, you are getting pretty low points.

Being new to all this ranked stuff I still don't know how that's supposed to work. Could you explain to me what kind of clue it is? I know I'm getting low points, but does that mean my wins are against people with comparatively lower ELO or something? What should I take out of this and how could I try to make things better if possible?

For top Imma recommend playing Susan.

bronze JGs suck and wont always invest time into camping him. Kinda like Garen he's mechanically an easy champ to understand which allows you the time and energy to focus on learning things like proper farming and how to manage waves. Also people at low elo don't kite well.

And given his rep you may get the team to FF just by acing them in a TF and showing that none of them can fight you. Even a 16 kill Kat will go "Oh fuck, we let Susan farm. GG" after getting popped by a Q and doing very lil to him.

Really, playing him in normals and people don't know what to do once you scale up.

Yeah, I guess farming diligently as Nasus really pays off late-game compared to Yorick, but then again how should I respond if another lane feeds early on? Would I stop farming to try and help even though I'm still relatively underpowered, or tell them "tough luck" and hope things don't snowball into every enemy eventually getting fed before I manage to reach raid boss status?

After playing Singed for a while, I'd say that he's amazing at disrupting and pestering the enemy team, and I can get pretty far ahead in Bronze since people are often ill-equipped to deal with proxying, but on the other hand he never reaches quite raid boss status compared to Susan, so if my team does badly then I'm often unable to actually pose enough of a threat to turn things around no matter how long the game goes.

To elaborate, the whole reason I'm kind of happy with Singed is that his playstyle lends itself to watching the map a lot more (since I'm often walking rather than engaged in combat while proxying), warding to avoid untimely ganks and proper usage of my kit and summoners to prevent stupid deaths and knowing when to keep fighting and when I should just run away. But the downside is that it looks like, unless my proxying goes really well (to the point it demands two or three people coming to my lane to try and stop me), I end up becoming just a mild annoyance while a fed Yasuo or Master Yi just rape my whole team.

Calvero

Banned
I was shocked to see how good Envelaap was at Lee Sin. I'm like, "This guy could even make it to plat playing like that".

Then I was even more shocked to see how bad he was at Yasuo. "How did this guy make it out of bronze"?

Envelaap is a weird player.

If you were to play Yasuo in solo q and get a good amount of games in, you would probably get better at Yasuo yeah.

envalaap is a god. an extremely tiltable god.

Top Bottom