• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

TURNING MENTALITY INTO VICTORY
Taking a positive mentality into your games can help you get that LP.
by Riot Costy

Edit: NVM. Reading now.

Yes, having a bad mentality before queue is nuts, like you already lose the match before even started.

I left the game because I became toxic and blamed my teammates , anyway I just play flex sometimes and have fun.

yeah what kind of person has a bad mentality before queuing

i always wait till after i op.gg the enemy team :^)

Christ, I remember the days of furiously checking lolnexus(?). Then shitting on your team mates as soon as the map loaded because you could see their ping and the fact the opposite team had 1 less no-border than you.

zkylon

zkylewd
ok lux gets buffed and literally every champion i play gets nerfed the following patch...

nerfs are mostly ok but dang

i wonder if ori will still be able to qw casters now

maybe she won't be able to get second item liandrys anymore, that'd be kind of fair

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i appreciate all the insight, guys.

this is a chart of some characters i own and what i believe are their corresponding groups. i think i'm just gonna bounce around this list depending on what role i want to play at the moment.

i'm pretty low level right now so i don't think tiers matter, but if anyone is irredeemably bad or if you think there's something i should know please let me know:

nfT0LpY.png

Sivir got almost immediatly hotfixed lmao

i was enjoying her - what changed?

Newt

this is a chart of some characters i own and what i believe are their corresponding groups. i think i'm just gonna bounce around this list depending on what role i want to play at the moment.

i'm pretty low level right now so i don't think tiers matter, but if anyone is irredeemably bad or if you think there's something i should know please let me know:
Since you're just starting out, don't worry too much about "roles" too much. Most super early level games don't even have junglers.

If you have questions feel free to join our server, https://discord.gg/NUHT44Y, though please introduce yourself so we know who you are.

zkylon

zkylewd
hope that ori nerf isn't too much, i still think the problem with ori is the cdr meta but w/e, riot seems to have made up their minds about wanting to have everything be up all the freaking time

Also I wrote this article, about taking a positive mentality in games and how it can have a meaningful effect on how you play.

You're going to see a lot more articles on similar subjects from me going forward, but more on that in the future. Would also appreciate your feedback on this!
cool article, i just didn't like it being right aligned tho, that made it really hard to read and i'd rather have that be centered than freaking zed splash taking up half the screen lol

New runes stuff

That Poro ward sounds amazing lol
poro sounds cool, you can like keep both sides of mid warded at all times that way

hope that ori nerf isn't too much, i still think the problem with ori is the cdr meta but w/e, riot seems to have made up their minds about wanting to have everything be up all the freaking time

Had a fun "his ult's CD is WHAT?" moment yesterday. Die to Yasuo. Revive, TP back to lane and clear wave. He TPs back and clears his wave. I go in for a trade immediately. He has ult and I barely escape alive. Check his ult CD and find it's 55 seconds at level 2 before CDR, and he uses it to engage the fight, not to end it. Lesson learned.

drawkcaB

I don't really get why Riot hasn't reverted Zac's buff where landing an E effectively guarantees his ultimate. That's the exact moment Zac popped off post-rework, and they're fucking around with W's base damage, as if his fast clear is the main problem. If there's one facet of Riot's balancing philosophy I utterly despise it's a general unwillingness to undo recent nerfs/buffs.

zkylon

zkylewd
iVqzHIh.png

got this skin in a chest, figured i'd try jinx since maybe jhin is not so good after the duskblade nerfs?

she's alright, a lot less fun to play than jhin tho

also i really hate this getting a key when you connect, that's the worst thing ever, who came up with that shit lol

Had a fun "his ult's CD is WHAT?" moment yesterday. Die to Yasuo. Revive, TP back to lane and clear wave. He TPs back and clears his wave. I go in for a trade immediately. He has ult and I barely escape alive. Check his ult CD and find it's 55 seconds at level 2 before CDR, and he uses it to engage the fight, not to end it. Lesson learned.
yeah i basically assume it has no cd

same with zed, if he ults me i have like 15s max to play easy and then it's just waveclear from a distance

he already chose to build hexdrinker so he's the one that made the lane boring

I don't really get why Riot hasn't reverted Zac's buff where landing an E effectively guarantees his ultimate. That's the exact moment Zac popped off post-rework, and they're fucking around with W's base damage, as if his fast clear is the main problem. If there's one facet of Riot's balancing philosophy I utterly despise it's a general unwillingness to undo recent nerfs/buffs.
they probably don't undo much cos they probably haven't changed their mind, i don't think balance changes come out without riot feeling strongly about them

that being said, i agree about zac, i think directly changing a champion so he has less counterplay is not good

faridmon

Also I wrote this article, about taking a positive mentality in games and how it can have a meaningful effect on how you play.

You're going to see a lot more articles on similar subjects from me going forward, but more on that in the future. Would also appreciate your feedback on this!

This is such a great read. Thanks for sharing!

nfT0LpY.png

i was enjoying her - what changed?

The good thing about some of the champions you listed is that each n of them teaches you, and improves certain aspects of your plays which contribute a whole lot more when thinking about winning lanes and thus winning the match

Ashe = Kite, Zoning, Utility
Sivir = Farming, wave control, lane pressure
Janna = disengage, peel, utility
Soraka = Positioning, sustain, map awareness
Morgana = Skill shots, active item usage (Zhonia), peel
Ekko = trading, Wave clearance, play-making, engage
Jax = Split Pushing, engage, hard focus
Kayle = When to use your ult, managing difficult early game

Etc

If you manage to be OK at those champions, you will go far. Great choice. The only hink thats missing is Tank that soaks up damage with good, hard CC. Get Maokai next

jon bones

thats kind of insight js exactly what im looking for.

thanks, i will keep that in mind as i play morning game with my coffee before work

jon bones

I can duo with you anytime, if you are playing it on EUW server

appreciate it, but i am in NA

just played my first game w/ Kayle and loved it. went 12/6/3 - love the combination of wave clear with E, buffs with R and W and a nice debuff w/ Q

feels like a nice combo of utility and some solid damage output

zkylon

zkylewd
VKPPBc9.png

sometimes i get the feeling kayn was an inside joke that someone took too far...

i wonder if he's had a generally positive response, i know it's fine to have some divisive and/or niche champions, but kayn looks too lame

like i don't find yasuo cool, but i can totally see why you would

i can't see why anyone would find kayn cool

on the other hand, the commando (or whatever) skins ad is super rad

i liked this video better than most of the super cg ones, at least it has a story...

Newt

I actually feel kinda the opposite of Costy suggests.

My games tend to go much better when I take control in champ select.

Newt

I was d3 a few months ago lol. Anyways, the correct solo q mindset definitely isn't one where you want to be showing trust to team-mates. The correct way to play solo q is to just analyze the game, and show levels of trust based on performance and stats, not on good will.

If you see someone going first time Vayne, you don't just accept that garbage and put your trust into them. You look for ways that you can win the game regardless of their help, you make sure to put zero resources into them.

There's no point flaming or raging at bad players in game, I can totally agree with that, but being a good solo q player is all about being logical to a fault and that can seen "negative or toxic".

For example, if there's a like an 0/5 toplane or something, you might tell your jungle "hey don't gank top, focus on the competent lanes". Something like that would come off as toxic of course, but you have to make the right call even if you're gonna hurt someone's feelings.

I think there's very little correlation to positivity and success, at least in solo q. I don't doubt that muting your entire team actually provides more benefit than loss.

Newt

Yeah but the ideal mindset for solo q is probably a cynical one more than anything. From reading that article I immediately get the impression that Costy hardly plays any solo q.

zkylon

zkylewd
or maybe he has information you don't because you're basing your opinion on your personal experience vs the wealth of metrics, player feedback, professional input and access to varied and unique points of view he has access to at riot

maybe your style works for you (not sure if it does since you haven't really made much progress in a while tho idk how hard you're trying), but that doesn't mean it's good advice

Jarsonot

hey all. I was looking for a new champ earlier and was allllllmost talked into going gnar (he may be my next pick) but went for zac instead.

A lot of fun.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
If riot wanted to put a damper on toxicity then honestly just take out all chat, it has no place in the game other than for people to plead for pity points when they win lane/lose game.

I also really liked this segment on toxicity from day9

Newt

If riot wanted to put a damper on toxicity then honestly just take out all chat, it has no place in the game other than for people to plead for pity points when they win lane/lose game.

Honestly, if Riot implemented a kick option in champ select, toxicity would drastically be reduced.

drawkcaB

And yet he's right.

Also, I really hope that Riot is basing their belief in teamwork with all their analytical data...'cause they ain't using that shit for balance.

zkylon

zkylewd
what do you think they base shit on? certainly not (exclusively) salty opinions lol

and outside of some outliers (there will always be outliers), the game feels really fun, varied and balanced atm

sheesh people

Yeah. HotS more or less has very minor toxicity because the lack of all chat in all ways. It'd be better for the community. And not the optional button that Riot has.

And yet he's right.

Also, I really hope that Riot is basing their belief in teamwork with all their analytical data...'cause they ain't using that shit for balance.

Nah

Having a kick option in champ select would increase the amount of toxicity. "Wow he's lost his last 5 matches, kick him. Wow he's only played X champion 2 times. Kick. Wow he picked the champion we told him not to pick. Kick him. Wow this guy is D5 when we're all D4, kick him."

It would make champ select ALOT worse.

Top Bottom