• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

zkylon

zkylewd
apparently the my shop thing wasn't showing on my account cos i have the locales switched to english and whatnot

had to switch to latin american to use it, bought ssg talon

that's a cool skin

Leezard

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/featured/preseason-update
There's the whole rune system.

@zyklon is this enough to get feedback from you now? :3

Very nice! I have to read a bit to digest this properly. How long does it take to return Aerie to you? Can you force return Aerie to yourself by casting something on yourself?
For example, say you cast a single Nami W that bounces on Enemy->Nami->Enemy. Will you be able to get Aerie on both enemies or do you have to wait on a cooldown?

Jarsonot

I'm worried that getting blue essence from leveling up will be significantly slower than getting IP after a game.

Right now a player would have to play x games to earn enough for a new champ. Will it be be about the same?

The new runes being free is awesome, I wonder how many rune pages we'll have for free. Trying to put together an appropriate page during champ select will be tough (for me).

drawkcaB

Disssapointed that grasp won't work on large monsters as was the case when it was revealed, although that would def make it must pick for the vast majority of junglers.

The runes are nice in general but nothing really pops out as allowing champs to take on new roles (what I'm trying to say is that there's nothing here that let's Tahm
Jungle more easily #letmedevourbuffsS8)

Nev

Banned
Seems the fotm game at Riot is Paragon instead of Overwatch now.

Effectively dumbing down and at the same time breaking the game with these gems. I mean runes.

Seems the fotm game at Riot is Paragon instead of Overwatch now.

Effectively dumbing down and at the same time breaking the game with these gems. I mean runes.

Dont you mean Heroes of the Storm

Because these are much closer to Talents then Gems

(maybe paragon ripped got 'inspired' by HotS itself)

Xin can actually do something useful in teamfights now (split off a frontline member and brawl him, if the squishies want to hurt him they need to walk into dangerous space). That's good. But if he can't clear the jungle well with the lowered base damage he won't see play.

I'm liking the idea of going a heavy scaling runeset on Maokai with:

Resolve: Grasp + Perseverance (or Font) + Conditioning + Overgrowth (if it's bad, Second Wind)
Inspiration: Magical Footwear + Celestial Body

Lot of juicy free stats there to take advantage of if you're in a reasonably passive lane.

Jarsonot

So reading up on it, looks like no worries regarding taking longer to unlock champs.

I really like Riot's pay model, and I'm glad they make enough to keep doing what they're doing. I prefer to spend my money on skins, since I can't get those with IP, so it's good to see I'll still keep getting champs at about the same rate.

Also, with getting random champ shards, that might get me to try champs I wasn't previously considering. And help me stop agonizing over what to spend my precious IP on. =)

Bacon

That keystone that lets you switch summoner spells midgame is pretty wild. Not sure how useful it'll be in practice but it's definitely a neat idea.

Nev

Banned
Dont you mean Heroes of the Storm
Because these are much closer to Talents then Gems

T6PClpY.jpg

Choose 2 affinities. Choose 5 main path gems (4 runes in LoL) and 1 secondary path gem (2 in LoL).

So basically they made a colorful mishmash out of Paragon's decks then added some Hots talents flavor to it, removed the freedom from old runes and they were good to go.

The originality and innovation at Riot's headquarters is through the roof.

Imagine a game where ADCs need to actually aim, therefore making bad players useless because there's no autoattack. Imagine too that you control your ADC character with WASD + Mouse.

Now wake up and realize you're stuck with the right click stats battles and clunky and unreliable attack + move control scheme of LoL.

GLHF m8.

Hots sucks tho I'll give you that.

Choose 2 affinities. Choose 5 main path gems (4 runes in LoL) and 1 secondary path gem (2 in LoL).

Create a colorful mishmash out of Paragon's decks then add some Hots talents flavor to it, remove the freedom of choice from old runes and you're good to go.

The originality and innovation at Riot's headquarters is through the roof.

Imagine a game where ADCs need to actually aim, therefore making bad players useless because there's no autoattack. Imagine too that you control your ADC character with WASD + Mouse.

Now wake up and realize you're stuck with the right click stats battles and clunky and unreliable attack + move control scheme of LoL.

GLHF m8.

"Freedom of Choice" from the old rune system.

Well thats just not true. There was never a freedom of choice.

Ill give you the "choose your path" part, but many of the runes add effects that are more akin to talents from HotS.

Also Paragon is trash.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to miss having 9 damage, 8 armor and 15% attack speed or whatever it was. Nev is on to something here.

Newt

GLHF m8.

Bad ADC players are already worthless.

Jarsonot

That keystone that lets you switch summoner spells midgame is pretty wild. Not sure how useful it'll be in practice but it's definitely a neat idea.

Maybe a jungler getting rid of smite mid/late game?

But at the cost of a possibly better rune that could fill that spot...

oh dear.

edit: I'll have you know, to my bronze mind, it seems like a legit tactic. I don't really NEED smite later on in game, do I?

(now must think why i'm so very very wrong...)

heheheh

yeah, Smite is a thing all junglers need to have. you need it to secure dragons, rift, and baron, and smite is also needed to buy (and I'm assuming keep) your jungle item and the warrior, cinderhulk, or bloodrazor enchantment you got for it.

Brewster123

Neo Member
Looking at the new runes, Glacial Augment definitely looks strong. Grasp will also likely be the keystone to go for on tanks. I do think Aftershock, if it stacks when multiple champs are stunned, could be fun on Mega Gnar though (Stun 2-3 champs with your ult, then become a mega tank and use the shock-wave to end it).

Also, I was looking through the recent patch-notes and saw Ornn got a few buffs. Is he actually decent now or is he still underwhelming?

zkylon

zkylewd
zkylon

Oh no I've been mispronouncing your name in my internal monologue this whole time sorry senpai
no need to call me senpai but i do appreciate you having internal monologues with me as the subject

rune stuff is pretty fun, been toying around a bit with different builds for champions like ori, syndra, lizzy, talon and cassiopeia. they're more or less the same (well, not talon) core with some changes, but that's ok, it would actually be kind of annoying if you had to switch up all your runes every game

i think having the statistics at the end of the game is gonna be really important, some stuff i can just translate to gold in a way that makes it easier to compare, but some stuff i'm just gonna need to test it out. i also find it's difficult to go through all the trees this way, i think either the icons should more quickly convey what the runes do (maybe using something like the UI shown in the last devblog) or maybe having descriptions next to them or something

thoughts on sorcery since that's the tree i'm gonna be using 90% of the time:
- familiar sounds really bad on most mids, i kind of wish it didn't take a sorcery slot since i feel it doesn't really fit anyone except like lulu or karma and those are not played very often midlane anyways. the rest of the tree seems a lot more suited for midlaners with lots of scaling and damage, so idk, i feel familiar guy feels weird, like it traps you to pick that if you're going for support lulu and then you have a bunch of mildly useful stuff but not as support oriented as some of the braum stuff you see in the resolve tree. also it takes a spot for cool midlaner keystones so i'd rather have that

- i liked thunderlords better than comet, comet feels really uninteractive in comparison since there's not that back and forth of trying to get three hits while not letting the other mid get theirs. this just feels kinda lame tbh, like just a bit of extra dmg

- new stormraiders i'm not sure, it's not too much to ask to auto once with cassi while chasing someone but i did enjoy fanging ppl until i got that boost and then getting the hell out. this won't change that much, but not sure if that mastery needed changing

- group A is kind of cool, the ultimate hat just sounds awesome, so it's gonna be hard letting go of that one if you're playing lux vs leblanc or something, but the mini hexdrinker is pretty neat and will probably save your life. the mana rune feels kind of lame in comparison to the other two, but this group is more about the one you want to get (ultimate hat) vs the ones you need to take (hexdrinker/mana), so it's about how greedy you are and if you can get away with it. i think i'm probably gonna take the greedy route cos that's one of the most fun sounding masteries of the entire thing

- group B also has good choices, but i think every mid is gonna take the free cdr to replace cdr/lvl blues. celerity might be interesting for like aurelion sol or something who doesn't care so much for the cdr and gets boots 3. absolute focus sounds like a lux/xerath thing for super high range champions, tho i still feel like having spells more often is better

- group C feels like the weakest, the river ability is kinda neat but i get the same ap with gathering storm in the whole map. scorch i don't like, feels like a mini version of comet which is pretty boring and also doesn't lead to fun laning patterns or anything, it's just more damage

overall i think the tree is fine, i mostly find comet disappointing compared to the more interactive thunderlords and i think the rest is alright

i think most mids will go into precision tree for secondary to get dangerous game and merciless, those two feel like really good all-around abilities to have. i could see domination happening with like ghost poro + cheap shot on someone with a lot of cc like lizzy or something? inspiration also might be useful on certain situations, miniflash sounds pretty good for lizzy, stopwatch is good against zed, things like that. but 9/10, it's gonna be dangerous game + merciless

not looking super hard into numbers cos that's all gonna change and hard to appraise atm

(btw requiring 80% for a rune called "last stand" feels a bit dramatic lol... like, you're, c'mon, not even that hurt... that's like one health potion away from full hp)

------------------------------------------

as for the rest, i don't like compulsive elements in games, even as an improvement over the current system, i think the best thing is to play the game for the game, which is already great and kept me playing for 5 years without the need of loot, leveling, missions or anything, just regular updates by a loving developer and the strength of its design

i also really appreciate simplicity in design, and i think all the metadesign in league has been anything but simple in the past few years and that's really unfortunate cos it's often overwhelming, confusing and exhausting to parse

How is Karthus supposed to use Ultimate Hat with his horrendously long CD?

I did a little bit of math because I have some time at the start of my day. If you assume Karthus ults within a minute or two of his ult coming off CD every time (which obviously isn't optimal, so bear with me) you could probably have this fully stacked by 30~35 minutes without much trouble. I think this would make the rune choice a late-game choice for karthus.

So taking his ult which has CD of

200/180/160

And assuming he builds no other CDR or has no CDR from other runes (I have no idea)

Assume he hits level 6 around 6 minutes?

[Lvl 1 Ult] Ult 1 (6:00) -> CD = 200 * 0.93 (5% base + 2% when it goes on CD) = 186s

[Lvl 1 Ult] Ult 2 (9:30) -> CD = 200 * 0.91 = 182s

[Lvl 2 Ult] Ult 3 (13:00) -> CD = 180 * 0.89 = 160.2s

[Lvl 2 Ult] Ult 4 (16:00) -> CD = 180 * 0.87 = 156.6s

[Lvl 2 Ult] Ult 5 (21:00) -> CD = 180 * 0.85 = 153s

[Lvl 3 Ult] Ult 6 (26:00) -> CD = 160 * 0.85 = 136s

So obviously Karthus isn't going to ult almost immediately after it comes off cooldown. But if you're a bit liberal with your ult and assuming I was being super aggressive in my guesstimates I think fully-stacking this ability with Karthus takes you about 30-35 minutes. Like I said earlier, this also assumes Karthus doesn't buy an extra CDR himself which could speed up the processes. I honestly don't know if Karthus buys CDR I don't think I've ever played him.

zkylon

zkylewd
I did a little bit of math because I have some time at the start of my day. If you assume Karthus ults within a minute or two of his ult coming off CD every time (which obviously isn't optimal, so bear with me) you could probably have this fully stacked by 30~35 minutes without much trouble. I think this would make the rune choice a late-game choice for karthus.

So taking his ult which has CD of

200/180/160

And assuming he builds no other CDR or has no CDR from other runes (I have no idea)

Assume he hits level 6 around 6 minutes?

[Lvl 1 Ult] Ult 1 (6:00) -> CD = 200 * 0.93 (5% base + 2% when it goes on CD) = 186s

[Lvl 1 Ult] Ult 2 (9:30) -> CD = 200 * 0.91 = 182s

[Lvl 2 Ult] Ult 3 (13:00) -> CD = 180 * 0.89 = 160.2s

[Lvl 2 Ult] Ult 4 (16:00) -> CD = 180 * 0.87 = 156.6s

[Lvl 2 Ult] Ult 5 (21:00) -> CD = 180 * 0.85 = 153s

[Lvl 3 Ult] Ult 6 (26:00) -> CD = 160 * 0.85 = 136s

So obviously Karthus isn't going to ult almost immediately after it comes off cooldown. But if you're a bit liberal with your ult and assuming I was being super aggressive in my guesstimates I think fully-stacking this ability with Karthus takes you about 30-35 minutes. Like I said earlier, this also assumes Karthus doesn't buy an extra CDR himself which could speed up the processes. I honestly don't know if Karthus buys CDR I don't think I've ever played him.

he'll get the 10% cdr rune and zhonyas and blue buff

i think he might prefer the free hexdrinker to get out of lane easier tho, idk

drawkcaB

So Evelyn only gets stealth (camouflage) post 6 now. She doesn't seem to have much go for her early game, but those post 6 ganks with her new charm are going to be potent as hell.

Top Bottom