• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just listened to an old Idle Thumbs where they were talking about Heroes of Newerth and how the community was so vile and hateful, I always wondered why that group was so much worse than the guys than the LoL community, who're apparently more supportive. Is there a story behind it for someone who knows next to nothing about it?

Ferrio

Banned
I just listened to an old Idle Thumbs where they were talking about Heroes of Newerth and how the community was so vile and hateful, I always wondered why that group was so much worse than the guys than the LoL community, who're apparently the polar opposite. Is there a story behind it for someone who knows next to nothing about it?

It's not a polar opposite, there's quite a bit of attitude in LoL. I do think there's less so since the game doesn't punish failure as badly.

Volimar

I just listened to an old Idle Thumbs where they were talking about Heroes of Newerth and how the community was so vile and hateful, I always wondered why that group was so much worse than the guys than the LoL community, who're apparently the polar opposite. Is there a story behind it for someone who knows next to nothing about it?

LoL has its share of douchebags, but I think the fact that the devs make themselves extremely available on their forums, even for punching bag purposes, helps tone down the jerks.

A bit.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I misused that phrase, I was just curious about that particular community and why they might've been so abrasive.

Gowans

I love LoL, bit of a noob tho, need more EU West friends, add Gowans007.

I'll be playing more over the next couple of months.

I can only play as Tris tho.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I just listened to an old Idle Thumbs where they were talking about Heroes of Newerth and how the community was so vile and hateful, I always wondered why that group was so much worse than the guys than the LoL community, who're apparently more supportive. Is there a story behind it for someone who knows next to nothing about it?

Simple, its easier to recover in LoL. More room for error.

2nd, I've had a pretty good time in all 3. DOTA, HON, and LOL. There will be assholes, but much of it is reaping what you sow. It is why many people say they can only play with friends, because only a friend will put up with their shit. You invest a large chuck of time into a very demanding game. If you are losing and someone turns into a bitch, it spreads.

Ferrio

Banned
Simple, its easier to recover in LoL. More room for error.

2nd, I've had a pretty good time in all 3. DOTA, HON, and LOL. There will be assholes, but much of it is reaping what you sow. It is why many people say they can only play with friends, because only a friend will put up with their shit. You invest a large chuck of time into a very demanding game. If you are losing and someone turns into a bitch, it spreads.

Bad thing is that attitude really affects the games outcome. If you can get the other team to attack each other, you've won. If you can keep your own team from going at each other's throats even though you're losing, you still have a good chance of coming back (much better than DoTa/Hon).

Ferga

Awesome OT southern, feel proud that i was watching you type that all out in google docs

and yeah, on second thought i don't think i'll be touching solo Q for this week :\

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Bad thing is that attitude really affects the games outcome. If you can get the other team to attack each other, you've won. If you can keep your own team from going at each other's throats even though you're losing, you still have a good chance of coming back (much better than DoTa/Hon).
Most rather just say stop sucking. Someone worth their salt on the other hand will assist them. Either by ganking the lane, offering to switch, or doing something. And if you want to vent. Do it on the forum or in chat. Never ingame.

Its not going to work a good amount of the time, but its basically about being constructive rather than being a whiner. And even after you had a bad game, shrugging it off and moving on to the next. Which is where some great advice comes in that I go by. NEVER PLAY ANOTHER GAME, RIGHT AFTER A BAD ONE. Exceptions do apply, but you will be going in their with a down attitude already. Consciously or not. You won't be as good.

Blizzard

Banned
Which is where some great advice comes in that I go by. NEVER PLAY ANOTHER GAME, RIGHT AFTER A BAD ONE. Exceptions do apply, but you will be going in their with a down attitude already. Consciously or not. You won't be as good.
This is ESPECIALLY true in ranked -- if you ever have a griefer or a truly terrible feeder on your team, never immediately jump into the queue again after the game, since you can end up with the same person again.

EXGN

Also, if I'm not mistaken, HON has voice chat which means you'll have randoms screaming at you for messing up. At least you don't have to deal with that in LOL because it's only text chat (unless they've added it since I've been out of the loop).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I wish I could just play the Winter Map everytime I que up. Something about that map just resonates with me. I think it's the music with the stark frozen wasteland, but whatever it is I want to play on that every game!

Mandoric

Banned
I wish I could just play the Winter Map everytime I que up. Something about that map just resonates with me. I think it's the music with the stark frozen wasteland, but whatever it is I want to play on that every game!

The winter map makes me pay more attention
because by the time I realize the quiet music is music, it's too late for me to alt-tab in after loading and drop a CV on the nemy fountain

Blizzard

Banned
The winter map makes me pay more attention
because by the time I realize the quiet music is music, it's too late for me to alt-tab in after loading and drop a CV on the nemy fountain
Oh, I thought it was wind howling. It's at the edge of hearing for me and kind of annoys me.

There may be a couple of side benefits to the map's coloring. I think I saw someone complaining that Kog's ult is virtually invisible now before it lands.

I keep thinking about diving in, but am terrified. Maybe one day...

Really, there is no need to be terrified. I'm pretty much a newbie myself and so far, the game is very enjoyable.

There is a lot to learn, but everyone is in the same boat. Games at low summoners level are full of people just as clueless as you are, which makes the games fun. You just need to practice a few champs, learn how to approximately build them and you can go from there.

In my experience, the community is quite good. I started playing PvP at level 7 (level 19 right now) and I encountered very few smurfs, almost no rage and one troll (on the other team).

SouthernDragon, nice OP!

red13th

Ooh new thread didn't see this before.

Ferrio's avatar is amazing, Riven is the coolest looking female character in this game.

I bought Maokai for the Christmas skin and he's completely awesome.

Mxrz

Not played in 2-3 weeks, looked like I missed the French-Maid Nidalee sale. /noob. I want that new LeBlanc skin even if I don't play her (or at all) much lately. But I'll need to buy another 300'ish rp.

This game, man. . .

Flare

dat sword.
and speaking of Riven, I actually never seen Crimson Elite Riven before.

It's because she doesn't look as good as redeemed Riven. All other opinions are wrong.
Ooh new thread didn't see this before.

Ferrio's avatar is amazing, Riven is the coolest looking female character in this game.

I bought Maokai for the Christmas skin and he's completely awesome.

I think Ironscale Shyvana looks pretty cool too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom