• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked email reveals Texas Gov. Greg Abbot fears his state will go blue in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

http://www.khou.com/news/politics/g...eals-gop-fear-of-texas-turning-blue/321936503

On Monday, one of the most prominent Republicans in Texas has a warning for supporters that Texas could go blue this election.

Gov. Greg Abbott is sounding the alarm, citing recent poll numbers.

Democrats couldn't be happier, especially because the email from Abbott to supporters wasn't meant to be seen publically. It was sent to the governor's donors, and now Democrats are sensing a real opportunity to push ahead.

Anyone who knows anything about Texas politics knows Texas is a solid red. Although, polls have been showing Hillary Clinton running very close to Donald Trump in Texas.

The sobering email from Abbott is giving legitimacy to the possibility Texas could vote Democrat this year.
The governor's email cites a Washington Post-Survey Monkey poll showing Clinton one point ahead of Donald Trump in Texas.

It’s the second poll showing a Clinton lead in the Lone Star State.

“Any other Republican would be winning by at least 10 points in the state of Texas, but it's Donald Trump,” said Manuel Medina, the Bexar County Democratic Party chairman who’s optimism is fed by raw data. “We have more than 1 million voters registered in Bexar County for the first time in the history of Bexar County. And you look at where they're registering at, and they're registering from places that traditionally vote democrat. It's younger people, it's Hispanic people, it's women.”

A third poll by Texas Lyceum shows Hillary Clinton within striking distance of Donald Trump, down just one point among registered voters.

The last time Texas voted Democratic was in 1976 for Jimmy Carter.

I hope right wing radio / media doubles down and the base elects another nut in 2020 for their primary. Help Texas go blue faster

Piggus

I've been saying for a while that people should keep an eye on Texas. The demographics are changing so quickly that it's only a matter of time.

SpecX

I hope so, hopefully this would be enough to start changing the Republican mindset. This probably was leaked intentionally if it's true though to bring out voters and prevent it from happening.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's going to be so disappointing in 2018 when everything goes red again.

At least the presidency will be a lock for Democrats for the next few decades until the Republican party shifts.

59283104.jpg

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
It's only a matter of time Texas becomes a solid blue state. It's going to be a battleground state in the next 10 years essily.

Si, Trump is just doing the lord's work in making it go quicker. He probably killed off 10 years alone they could have held out as a red state.

GutsOfThor

Nope. Texas will definitely go blue in the future but no way it happens this year.

I'd LOVE to be proven wrong though!

Eusis

If Texas goes blue it'd be basically impossible for Trump to win. And it will be amazing to behold.

They'd probably flip back to hard red in 2020 and likely will be that way on a state level anyway, but that just reinforces how deplorable Trump is.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
"Sent to donors", which could mean he doesn't believe it and he's just being alarmist in order to convince people to give more money.

Would be nice if Texas ever went blue, though. Dare to dream.

NeOak

I hope so, hopefully this would be enough to start changing the Republican mindset. This probably was leaked intentionally if it's true though to bring out voters and prevent it from happening.
You do know that a lot of Republicans here don't like Trump, right?

I remember seeing a lot of signs for Romney in 2012 on front yards.

Trump? Like two houses that I've seen this year.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So what would the Republicans do if Texas went blue? I can't imagine them flipping enough battleground states red to make up the difference. They'd have to *gasp* adjust their platform to account for changing demographics. As unlikely as this is, I'd love to see it just so the GOP finally wakes up. The "autopsy report" after 2012 didn't do it. But Texas being in play for a Democrat definitely would do the job.

Holy shit. If Clinton lost Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, and Virginia but won every other state Obama won and won Texas she'd hit 270 right there.

Xe4

Banned
Texas ain't gonna go blue. Not this election, or any time soon. Maybe by 2024.
If Arizona and Georgia go blue first, then maybe, but I still don't see it.
Glad to see Abbot sweating, though.

Azerare

Could trump end up being the savior of the republican party?

By completely destroying what its become?
This was his true intentions all along!

It will be interesting to see if Texas swings blue. I wouldn't be surprised considering people moving from all over.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
So what would the Republicans do if Texas went blue? I can't imagine them flipping enough battleground states red to make up the difference. They'd have to *gasp* adjust their platform to account for changing demographics. As unlikely as this is, I'd love to see it just so the GOP finally wakes up. The "autopsy report" after 2012 didn't do it. But Texas being in play for a Democrat definitely would do the job.

It's weird because W. Bush laid down the future for the party by courting Hispanic voters and then this election was supposed to be Jeb or Rubio vs. Clinton. Trump sunk the entire party by himself.

They're going to have a hell of a time courting back those already skeptical voters (that already lean Democrat) back to the party after having a candidate that has been absolutely gross towards Hispanics the whole time.

I honestly don't know what meaningful shift that they can do in just four years that will convince anyone.

dramatis

I'm ready. Let's do it.

The turnout for the primaries was very promising in Travis county. After the polls closed, I watched intently at the results and they skewed heavily in Democrats favor with about a 70 / 30 split between Hillary and Berns.
It's good to be hopeful, but primary turnout isn't a good indicator of general election turnout.

SpecX

You do know that a lot of Republicans here don't like Trump, right?

I remember seeing a lot of signs for Romney in 2012 on front yards.

Trump? Like two houses that I've seen this year.

I figured Texans hated him especially after what he did to Cruz and Jeb!

A gentleman showing off products to our company who lives out of Austin said the city's expanding by about a thousand people every week. The tech sector is flooding Texas with liberals.

Texas seems like it would skew towards the libertarian side of the Republican party rather than what Trump is offering.

Texas was basically a democrat state up until the 80s, and even then, Ann Richards had a D by her name. Though, politics has change a whole lot of course.

But yeah, if the libertarian party was a bigger thing that more people knew about, I could see it gain a lot more strength here.

AYF 001

It could also backfire and bring out the democrats who would've stayed home if they thought their state wasn't competitive anyway.
You do realize that's what has lead to Donald's popularity in the first place, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom