• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real Clear Politics (political tracking site) declares Texas a Toss-Up state

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...xas-becomes-tossup-realclearpolitics-declares

The political tracking site RealClearPolitics, which collects and averages polls in every state, declared Sunday that Texas is now a tossup in the presidential election.

The site previously classified the traditionally red state as leaning toward GOP nominee Donald Trump. But with the release of CBS tracking poll Sunday showing Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton down just 3 points in the Lone Star State.

The RCP average of polls showed Trump ahead of Clinton by 4.8 points on Sunday.

mEkak4P.gif

Will most likely be red but I imagine Trump led a lot of more liberal ppl to register and vote in Texas which will only benefit the Democrats going forward. I think we'll see a blue Texas in the next 2 elections or so unless GOP changes themselves in the national stage.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The thing to flip Texas over to Blue is if Hillary has a nice firm handshake.

Mully

It's interesting to see Texas become a swing state this election, but it's likely to be a solid red state in 2020.

That said, if Texas were to go blue this election, a good indicator of it heading that way (besides Texas polls) would be a Clinton lead greater than 3-4 points in Ohio. Recent polls have shown that Clinton and Trump are now tied in Ohio. A Clinton increase of 3-4 points in Ohio could show a 1-2 point Clinton shift in Texas.

Amir0x

Banned
I know it won't happen, but I want to see the GOP doomsday march as they witness Texas fall. To Clinton of all people. It would be too magical to not hope for.

Iksenpets

Banned
RealClearPolitics also classifies Minnesota as a tossup state.

This is a weird statistical anomaly because of the fact that no one has polled Minnesota since before the first debate. Texas is moving because of polling data showing it pretty consistently at a ~3 point race.

Iksenpets

Banned
are there any congressional seats the democrats might be able to flip there?

There's one in South Texas. That's about it. That's why Hillary is focusing her long-shot efforts on Indiana and Missouri, where there's more downballot upside, even though the polls actually show those states less competitive presidentially than Texas. Texas is also much more expensive to campaign in, due to its size.

kswiston

Texas will turn blue eventually. (non-Hispanic) White people are already under 50% of the population in the state, and the GOP continues to go hard at that anti-immigrant racist demographic. They can't blame everything on Trump.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I feel like Hank Hill would probably vote for Hillary. He's conservative, but he's far from insane. He may go third party, but I think he'd shallow his pride on this and just say, 'That other candidate just ain't right.'
He may have voted against bush just because he had a limp handshake. He just leans GOP.

Demy

I feel like Hank Hill would probably vote for Hillary. He's conservative, but he's far from insane. He may go third party, but I think he'd shallow his pride on this and just say, 'That other candidate just ain't right.'

Depends on Trump's handshake grip.

120v

538 has TX at 80% Trump. yeah... it's not flipping

and as a texan, the thought of it flipping for hillary, LOL

tokkun

This is a weird statistical anomaly because of the fact that no one has polled Minnesota since before the first debate. Texas is moving because of polling data showing it pretty consistently at a ~3 point race.

There may also be a statistical anomaly in the polls that RCP counts for Texas. Compare it to 538's:
http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/texas/

Can someone edit this picture to have Georgia instead of a Wii U?

RCP also lists Georgia as a tossup state.

Will do my part, GAF. Moved to Austin three years ago from NY (grew up in Los Angeles though). Registered, and got a new TX state ID waiting for me in the mail when I return home on 11/05.

JordanN

Banned
I know I said this before but Texas has nothing to gain under Trump. When Trump starts building his wall, guess which state will be the first to incur Mexico's wrath?

Oh, and imagine having to deal with the immigrant crisis at the border.

Even if it goes to Trump in the end, it doesn't matter. This year and election cycle is damning enough when the best thing the GOP has to say by the end of it all is "at least we still have Texas"

If it isn't immediately called for Trump when the state's polls close, it's going to be a long rough night for them, and I'm looking forward to it

Madness

Texas is now heavily hispanic dominated in areas now so it stands to reason a candidate that is advocating mass deportation, jail time and border walls would not be popular.

The real crazy thing is how Republicans don't see the demographic changes or do anything about it. They want to blame Democrats for everything but they could have built border walls, deported illegal immigrants in the past, done a number of things but they didn't. If Trump didn't latch on to the border wall idea this election, it was a complete non factor early on.

CrazyDude

Texas is now heavily hispanic dominated in areas now so it stands to reason a candidate that is advocating mass deportation, jail time and border walls would not be popular.

The real crazy thing is how Republicans don't see the demographic changes or do anything about it. They want to blame Democrats for everything but they could have built border walls, deported illegal immigrants in the past, done a number of things but they didn't. If Trump didn't latch on to the border wall idea this election, it was a complete non factor early on.

They know the have a demographic problem, but their core supporter won't let them shift.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Texas is about the only thing I can think of that would make the GOP actually address the shit it has done to itself and the country.

Problem is that I don't know what a good Republican philosophy looks like with the Democratic party this right-centrist. Their economic policy is disproven bullshit at the arithmetic level and their social policies are literally evil. When anti abortion is your most reasonable ethical position then you done slowly goofed.

Racism, environmental destruction and homophobia aren't enough.

robochimp

They don't need to do anything about it, the house is all they need to halt progress while they try to keep pushing the message of their corporate masters.

BasicMath

Texas will turn blue eventually. (non-Hispanic) White people are already under 50% of the population in the state, and the GOP continues to go hard at that anti-immigrant racist demographic. They can't blame everything on Trump.
I see it differently. It's crazy how even with a terrible candidate like Trump, the dems can't take Texas.

And I doubt it'll go blue. The party will change before it does.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Texas going blue is fun to talk about and appears to be a clear eventuality, but for this election Texas will go red.
Says who? Weeks ago our own Republican governor sent out an email to his supporters expressing concern that their own internal polling was showing Clinton only trailing 1-2 points. All these polls showing her trailing by 3 are all well within the margin of error.

Zoe

People keep saying this, but minority conservatives do exist in sizable numbers in Texas.

Been spending the past week arguing with quite a few on Nextdoor :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom