• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked email reveals Texas Gov. Greg Abbot fears his state will go blue in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanN

Banned
Texas going blue makes sense.

They would be on the front lines when Mexico sends their army to blow up the wall.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
If Texas goes blue, please, for the love all that is good and decent, record the reactions to local radio talk nutters, somebody.

I blame Austin

It's probably because of all the hispanics Trump pissed off. Not to mention there are already movements trying to get more of them to register and vote, which could drastically change the political landscape as FAR fewer of them vote compared to whites in Texas (I forget the source, but it was like 30% vs 66%)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I hope the GAFers that think they are in a red state and their vote doesn't matter read this.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Austin is blue, I assume inner cities areas of Houston, Dallas and SA are blue, but everything else is deep red. How could they realistically go blue?

Because the majority of people live in cities. Look at Oregon:

sy1noUl.png

The majority of people live in the blue areas.

Aurongel

Austin is blue, I assume inner cities areas of Houston, Dallas and SA are blue, but everything else is deep red. How could they realistically go blue?
Voters in population centers going out to vote. Stalwart evangelicals being apathetic towards Trump. Any number of ways, really.

Trump being poorly perceived among the rapidly growing Hispanic population would be my real guess.

Texas will not be blue come November, that much I'm fairly certain. Texas has a way of mobilizing rural conservatives like nobody else.

I say it a lot here on gaf, but the 2020 census is important, and we need to get the congress back so we can redistrict in a way that SHOWS the increase in liberal/progressive ideas.If they keep congress, they will minimize the shit out of the population change regardless if we vote Dem for president.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Houston and DFW inner cities (well Fort Worth more than Dallas probably) might be a lot more red than other cities if I had to guess. I know from experience that a lot of those young professionals living in the inner loop of Houston work in oil and gas and tend to skew Republican mostly because of taxes. The outer suburbs are largely Republican also.

However the entire Rio Grande Valley area is like 85%+ or more Hispanic and there's a little over a million people living there so I think that offsets it.

edit: jmdajr confirms my observations more or less! it's shocking to me that Galveston went Republican.

rjinaz

I'm glad the fear is there. I seriously doubt it though. There are other states though where the repubs should be worried.

Iksenpets

Banned
Texas seems like it would skew towards the libertarian side of the Republican party rather than what Trump is offering.

This is anecdotal, but here in Dallas I've seen a grand total of one Trump sign out in the wild, and a lot of houses with signs out for their local Republican representatives but no corresponding presidential sign. I've seen more stuff for both Hillary and Bernie than Trump, by a pretty wide margin. Hell, I've seen more people who still haven't gotten the Cruz or Carson stickers off their cars from the primary than I've seen Trump. He'll probably still win just on the momentum of people voting straight Republican ticket, but whatever support he has here is not enthusiastic. Though, I would imagine that he does have enthusiastic support out in the rural areas.

This isn't much different from the fear mongering emails the DNC sends during campaigns. It's nothing.

Texas won't be blue this year or in 4 years or in 8 years.

besada

Banned
Hey fellow Texas Democrats/liberals/progressives, I know sometimes it feels like it's not worth it to go vote, given how tremendously we are outnumbered, both for federal and local elections. But this time, just pop out and drop a ballot. Let's see what happens.

We voted 40% for Obama, so it's not like there isn't a force of us out there.

jmdajr

Houston and DFW inner cities (well Fort Worth more than Dallas probably) might be a lot more red than other cities if I had to guess. I know from experience that a lot of those young professionals living in the inner loop of Houston work in oil and gas and tend to skew Republican mostly because of taxes. The outer suburbs are largely Republican also.

However the entire Rio Grande Valley area is like 85%+ or more Hispanic and there's a little over a million people living there so I think that offsets it.

edit: jmdajr confirms my observations more or less! it's shocking to me that Galveston went Republican.

Harris County, which is basically Metro Houston, is basically a swing county. Obama won by like 100 votes. Literally.

woodchuck

Live in Dallas. I registered to vote for the first time.

Only problem is the suburbs and rural areas. The major cities are blue.

Delio

It's depressing living in Fort Worth and seeing it go red. But also not surprising as well.

As someone who moved to Texas this year and registered to vote, I'm going to help make that a reality. It's going to be so good to go to work and hear people who lived here their whole life have the state flip because of people moving here 😂

rokkerkory

As someone who moved to Texas this year and registered to vote, I'm going to help make that a reality. It's going to be so good to go to work and hear people who lived here their whole life have the state flip because of people moving here 😂

good for u

where I live, (Denton county) has 2 big colleges (UNT and Texas Woman's University) but it went 65/35 in the 2012 election to romney ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wendy davis had almost 40% in her governor race in 2014, could have gotten that piece of shit abbott out of here but our state sucks

akileese

It's only a matter of time Texas becomes a solid blue state. It's going to be a battleground state in the next 10 years essily.

It'll be four. People REALLY under estimate the amount of people pouring into Texas from the coasts, most of whom are blue voters. My wife and I have been trying to tell people we didn't think Texas was deep red for a while now but no one believed me.

The districts are still gerrymandered to hell and back but the blue areas of the state are becoming significantly more dense.

You missed Houston and San Antonio. Maybe Dallas. Definitely El Paso and McAllen.

IIRC, Dallas County is pretty solidly blue. The surrounding area isn't.

Also, Texas won't turn Blue this cycle, and maybe not even the next. But the demographics are shifting in a favorable way.

NeOak

Galveston is red. Houston is blue. Have had a blue mayor for years now.

Hey fellow Texas Democrats/liberals/progressives, I know sometimes it feels like it's not worth it to go vote, given how tremendously we are outnumbered, both for federal and local elections. But this time, just pop out and drop a ballot. Let's see what happens.

o7

JP_

Banned
where I live, (Denton county) has 2 big colleges (UNT and Texas Woman's University) but it went 65/35 in the 2012 election to romney ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wendy davis had almost 40% in her governor race in 2014, could have gotten that piece of shit abbott out of here but our state sucks

I went to UNT -- when I voted, I was the only one under 60 at the polling station.

Pagusas

Elden Member

I live in the Denton county side of Frisco, lots of Trump signs in yards. Our area is basically all rich white families.

JP_

Banned

..that blue square up north is Dallas. I live in a blue congressional district. We have a dem mayor.

Iksenpets

Banned
IIRC, Dallas County is pretty solidly blue. The surrounding area isn't.

Also, Texas won't turn Blue this cycle, and maybe not even the next. But the demographics are shifting in a favorable way.

Dallas county is definitely blue. The mayor is a Dem (though elected on a nonpartisan line) and I know when I vote for local offices there are a lot of things like smaller judgeships where there isn't even a Republican candidate in the running. And then when I vote for smaller state offices, a lot of times there isn't a Dem running. It's weird.

Horns

It would bring tears of joy to see Texas go blue. At the very least the state should get rid of Abbot. He's a fool.

I live in the Denton county side of Frisco, lots of Trump signs in yards. Our area is basically all rich white families.

This. Sure, we have quite a young crowd with our young workforce and college students but there are a LOT of older people here and my entire neighborhood is Trump signs. Live north of the mid cities and there is a lot of red out here

Might be anecdotal sure, but I'm not seeing the blue love in my area.

It pisses me off that others actually don't vote. THe mayoral election in San Antonio had less than 200k people vote, which is piss poor. Sure, it's partially because of the structure, but come on.

Kite

HAqgNrL.png

Sobriquet

As someone who grew up in Texas, I would love to see it turn blue.

But this seems like your standard quarterly fundraising deadline fear-mongering email for the donors. As a supporter of a lot of Democratic candidates, I get a ton of these every day.

Yeah this sounds like they're just trying to scare up some money out of folks. I bought a Reagan t-shirt for a friend for their birthday, they haven't stopped sending me things in the mail that basically read "By not donating you agree to the liberal agenda!" which of course since I'm not for either side annoyed me. I get why they do it though, all about those dollar signs.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Galveston is red. Houston is blue. Have had a blue mayor for years now.

o7

..that blue square up north is Dallas. I live in a blue congressional district. We have a dem mayor.

Like I said, more red doesn't mean that it's actually red. Obama won Harris county by 800 votes in 2012.

http://www.politico.com/2012-election/results/president/texas/

Romney won 80% of Montgomery County. 53% of Fort Bend County. 57% of Tarrant County (Fort Worth). He also managed about 42% in Dallas County.

I'm more surprised that Romney won 47% of the vote in Bexar county.

Compare that to Obama winning 74% in Cook County in Chicago, 70% in LA, or upwards of 80% in the New York boroughs.

There are a lot more red voters living in the major cities of Texas was what I'm getting at.

edit: I'm also pretty sure that all those margins are at play this time around because of Trump's stance towards Hispanics. Clinton might actually carry up to 90-95% of the RGV and flip some of the suburbs.

Hopefully those that stay at home thinking their vote won't count for anything in a red state actually take this as an opportunity to get out and vote this time.

Even without going blue, it would (will) be extremely gratifying to see Texas be a battleground state.

It's already quite nice that Virginia basically isn't one any more (and North Carolina is).

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I used to live in Austin. I live in Dallas now. It's pretty easy for me to forget the state is so conservative.

Cerium

Even without going blue, it would (will) be extremely gratifying to see Texas be a battleground state.

It's already quite nice that Virginia basically isn't one any more (and North Carolina is).
Yeah Virginia's transformation from ruby red to battleground to safe blue is a model for other states undergoing demographic shifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom