• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Left 4 Dead 3" is found on Steam (yet another leak?)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I guess it is probably easier to make Left 4 Dead f2p then Half Life f2p.

After Greenlight turned into a mess and some of the questionably exploitive stuff Valve has been doing with DOTA / steam I was hoping the next game would be a return to form. Here is hoping this is just a working title because the reaction to that would be pretty dumb. Heck the reaction to 2 was already sort of messed up.

What "questionably exploitative" stuff are you talking about?

Every time I hear Left for dead, I keep thinking about the hilarious lack of distance between L4D1 launch and L4D2 launch

Yeah, I think everyone thought there would be a yearly sequel. Boy we were wrong. They integrated l4d1 in the second game, added campaigns... I feel bad for going the boycott way with it... sometimes one can be wrong.

If it does come out, I can see it being quite good.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel it's pretty likely to be a real project.

Left 4 Dead fits very well with Valve's Games as a Service model, but doesn't currently have a strong ongoing service.

A base game that can be updated for a long time at the start of next-gen would make a lot of sense, and it's one of their franchises that works best with consoles.

Valve even stated it sold more on Xbox 360 than it did on PC: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...l-2-sold-more-copies-on-pc-than-consoles.aspx

Game Informer said:
"We can never predict," Newell said. "I mean we just try to build good games and then we tend to be surprised. Portal 2 did better on the PC than it did on the consoles; Left 4 Dead did better on the consoles than it did on the PC. So you know we don't try to guess, because we're not sure what value there is to guessing."

xPaw

SteamDB developer and generally a pretty crafty guy.
Marlamin said:
There was a fault in the partner pages that would show app names even if you had no rights on them.

Devin didn't get banned for "leaking" L4D3**, he got banned for making way too many requests on the partner site for a load of AppIDs.

Valve fixed the bug yesterday afternoon.

Please note that this app is just about as dead as Halo 3 one. I personally think this was one of developer's trolling, or a valve's test.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Left 4 Dead is awesome. That said, I would only really be excited for a 3rd if it was on Source Engine 2.

And I can't imagine them showcasing Source Engine 2 and it not being at the Half-Life 3 reveal.

That said... It's Valve and who the fuck knows?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I guess it is probably easier to make Left 4 Dead f2p then Half Life f2p.

After Greenlight turned into a mess and some of the questionably exploitive stuff Valve has been doing with DOTA / steam I was hoping the next game would be a return to form. Here is hoping this is just a working title because the reaction to that would be pretty dumb. Heck the reaction to 2 was already sort of messed up.

Please, enlighten us as to Valve's exploitative nature.

Eusis

L4D2 was released in 2009.
Yeah, 4+ years is enough downtime to welcome a sequel with open arms.
this quote was always weird to me. I assume he means like first numbers they got or something?
Yeah, with Steam sales you have to assume they EVENTUALLY sell way more PC copies. But within the first few months? That's something else.

I also think this COULD be an indicator of how more and more people shifted to PC as the generation went on, at least if it's not just that Portal 2 appeals more to the traditional PC fanbase whereas L4D appeals more to the typical console gamer.

Thought the whole point of Steamworks API was that anyone could use it, whether you're on Steam or not and that you didn't even have to ask permission or give credit. It was all about Valve's initiative to make PC gaming better across the board... sure seems like a whole lot of paper work.

Is Greenlight even ruining other Valve initiatives by gating this stuff off? I appreciate that as Steamworks' feature set has grown and become more integrated into Steam Community that it would be difficult to maintain two code bases... but when Steamworks started it was simply, our matchmaking, server browser, and VOIP code for everyone whoever you are. Ugh.
Next Orange Box:
1. Half-Life 3
2. Ricochet 2
3. F-Stop

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
this quote was always weird to me. I assume he means like first numbers they got or something?

It did do pretty great on Xbox even by regular standards, but yeah, I'm not sure if it ended up higher after around four years of $5 sales.

I guess it's not impossible though.

DedValve

Banned
As great as l4d2 was it felt rushed and not finished. I still play that game to this day (just had a match the other week). A l4d3 given the full treatment on a new engine will be welcomed with open arms.

L4D is one of the very few multiplayer series that I'm interested in. Unless it's aimed at consoles first or they go overboard with the "gamification", I'm cautiously optimistic.

- I brute forced it in a way, there were lots of interesting things I found. L4D3 was the most interesting although it hasn't been updated in months so it may be dead.

Sounds like they were working on it but it's been put on hold.

Could there be a connection between that and those departures from earlier this year? Perhaps they wanted to launch L4D3 with some experimental hardware but it didn't pan out?

Salsa

Fuck yeah, Left 4 Dead 3. I'm game

yeah, worth clarifying that my lack of excitement is due to not enough proof/leak not updated for months, but if it's real then im all for it.

In the end it is realistically-speaking the next game I expected from Valve, at least in terms of their service-based experiments stuff

Salsa

also at this point I could almost see it coming out for free on Steam and having the whole valve cosmetics business thrown on top of it, although i'd have to wonder how they'd handle console versions if that was the case

Eusis

To be honest L4D ended up kind of boring me in the long run, so I AM hoping the long down time means more interesting design than essentially the equivalent of a slightly randomized FPS take on side scroller brawler gameplay.

also at this point I could almost see it coming out for free on Steam and having the whole valve cosmetics business thrown on top of it, although i'd have to wonder how they'd handle console versions if that was the case
PS4 can do free-to-play no problem. The only difficulty is Microsoft and the Xbox Live paywall.

Lots of people reading the title and not everything else... like the fact that the entry hasn't been updated in months.

That said, I hope L4D3... love the series.

Skab

Valve has been pretty quiet in general when it comes to games lately. I mean, the only official thing they have in development is Dota 2, right? (Game wise, and not counting support for already released stuff like TF2.) They have to be doing something over there.

Almost 7 years later, it better be the work of God when it arrives.

I doubt its been in development for that long.

Top Bottom