• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Left 4 Dead 3" is found on Steam (yet another leak?)

JustinBB7

After Greenlight turned into a mess and some of the questionably exploitive stuff Valve has been doing with DOTA / steam I was hoping the next game would be a return to form. Here is hoping this is just a working title because the reaction to that would be pretty dumb. Heck the reaction to 2 was already sort of messed up.

What exploitive stuff have they done with dota?

wrowa

Left 4 Dead 3 is the third Valve game I want the least.

Like everyone else I'm going back waiting patiently for the announcement of Portal 3.
Half-Life 3? Why would I care about that.

KarmaCow

I mostly just play custom map in L4D2 so I await the craziness game types and maps if the stuff they're implementing in the beta at the moment is the basis for L4D3.

What exploitive stuff have they done with dota?

The crate/key dynamic is only a few steps removed from slot machines. The word exploitive has a lot of baggage, maybe sketchy is better.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The real news is that Turbo Tax is coming to Steam.

Salsa

nothing exploitable about what valve's done with games specifically

steam itself is where it's a bit weird. Allowing users to sell beta invites and getting a cut, etc.

Valve's clearly experimenting but some of the new Steam stuff is about where I draw the line. Would have 0 issues with L4D3 implementing all of what Dota2 does tho.

Angry Fork

Hope not. I have no friends so this series means nothing to me. It's really boring playing alone and the community is full of shitheads who rush through everything + yell at you for not sitting in a corner for 10 minutes.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I can expect concept to be for that long but not game development. Source Engine 2 has been in development since 2010 so that's when we can assume game development started.

Source?

Also, I expect HL3 to be pretty far removed from HL2. Just like HL2 was to HL1.

But there will be closer ties, like HL2: EP2 set up.

They have to be doing something over there.

They "waste" (depending on your perspective) a lot of time on gimmicky side-projects that are either shelved or integrated into larger projects. They could be working non-stop for 5 years and still not produce anything notable, from the consumer's point of view.

here's a Controversial opinion

L4D was better than L4D2. more doesn't always means better. the new orleans schtick is old and tired. too many weapons. the new infected aren't as creative. Everytime you came across a room there was always some random new item meaning the concept of item conservation strategy went out the window. the sense of urgency was gone. and it was too damn bright. too many open areas.

I actually think that the only way to bring back to its L4D greatness is to cut back on content (crazy i know) and introduce some more limiting gameplay concepts to promote more teamwork and tension.

i doubt this will happen in L4D3

Fantastical

Death Prophet

L4D was better than L4D2. more doesn't always means better. the new orleans schtick is old and tired. too many weapons. the new infected aren't as creative. Everytime you came across a room there was always some random new item meaning the concept of item conservation strategy went out the window. the sense of urgency was gone. and it was too damn bright. too many open areas.

I actually think that the only way to bring back to its L4D greatness is to cut back on content (crazy i know) and introduce some more limiting gameplay concepts to promote more teamwork and tension.

That's a controversial opinion? I thought a lot of people felt that way. I know I did.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sorry but if you dont like the new SI, you legitimately are a fool. L4D was closet camping central. Fuck that noise.

meppi

Oh, I was thinking about this the other day actually. Wondering if we'd see a sequel anytime soon. Happy we'll probably won't have to wait too long.

My main complaint about L4D2 was the loss of atmosphere. The protagonists were weaker as characters. The general tone veered too close to slapstick, with people running about swatting zombies with frying pans & comedy sound effects, zombie clowns with squeaky shoes etc. I understood the rationale behind the new weapons and special infected, but they made the whole experience feel less coherent, almost like a theme park of ideas.

KarmaCow

I never found L4D scary or really all that tense due to the atmosphere so I'm fine with it going toward more craziness.

Also, how is New Orleans a tired and old setting?

Sorry but if you dont like the new SI, you legitimately are a fool. L4D was closet camping central. Fuck that noise.

Okay so I'm not insane. Thank you.

The first L4D to appear on the Playstation? I'm thinking it's revealed at the Sony conference.

I don't think so. At this point, I think Valve is done with consoles.

They still haven't updated Counter Strike Global Offensive even once and the game still isn't out in Europe (at least not the PS3 version).

I love Valve and their games should be on consoles, but they probably make too much money off Steam to even care anymore.

kuYuri

I don't think so. At this point, I think Valve is done with consoles.

They still haven't updated Counter Strike Global Offensive even once and the game still isn't out in Europe (at least not the PS3 version).

I love Valve and their games should be on consoles, but they probably make too much money off Steam to even care anymore.

Seriously? They never did Steamworks integration with CS:GO on PS3 like they did with Portal 2?

Salsa

I hope they remove melee weapons.

N7KJLub.gif

Top Bottom