• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legendary Shipping Meltdowns (SPOILERS)

Ichihime was always going to win.

The thing that made this garbo was that Ichigo doesn't show interest for like anyone and it just suddenly happened. The same thing happens with Naruto and Hinata but to a lesser degree because at least he had Naruto show some moments of interest (note: not nearly enough, they interact like 10-20 times in the entire series when somebody counted). It's a case of "this girl REALLY likes MC-kun so much that we just have to reward her for her faithfulness even the MC-kun doesn't really seem that interested".

It's like the guy version of the those movies that have female sidekicks who get handed out as romantic interests like some kind of prize at the end. I don't mind if you're gonna make relationship stuff happen in shounen but goddamn, put the appropriate amount of development for it on both sides.

Oh I was talking about Digimon. My bad. I am very sure that people in Japan weren't happy with who Sora ended up with.

Matt/Sora is straight trash, they're right to be unhappy.

harmonize

amourshipping was completely one-sided and doesn't play a part in the show anymore, there's nothing for other shippers to get angry about.

from the misty people, i saw more outrage from her not being a part of the cast in the next movie than I did over the kiss.

tumblr_inline_nxaybsYUXa1qa7avy_540.jpg

This one leak nearly crashed sites and still brings in the salt to this day.

Don't think you can match the Naruto shipping meltdown, as the series was trending everywhere at its conclusion.

random25

The thing that made this garbo was that Ichigo doesn't show interest for like anyone and it just suddenly happened. The same thing happens with Naruto and Hinata but to a lesser degree because at least he had Naruto show some moments of interest (note: not nearly enough, they interact like 10-20 times in the entire series when somebody counted). It's a case of "this girl REALLY likes MC-kun so much that we just have to reward her for her faithfulness even the MC-kun doesn't really seem that interested".

It's like the guy version of the those movies that have female sidekicks who get handed out as romantic interests like some kind of prize at the end. I don't mind if you're gonna make relationship stuff happen in shounen but goddamn, put the appropriate amount of development for it on both sides.

There's a heavy implication that Naruto and Hinata will end up together because a lot of times they interacted, there's character development and deep bond development for both sides. As limited as their interactions are, just about everything have great impact especially when it comes to Naruto's impression of Hinata. These kinds of manga/anime just doesn't focus on romance, but Kishimoto made sure that their moments are series highlights no matter how low in quantity those are.

There's a heavy implication that Naruto and Hinata will end up together because a lot of times they interacted, there's character development and deep bond development for both sides. As limited as their interactions are, just about everything have great impact especially when it comes to Naruto's impression of Hinata. These kinds of manga/anime just doesn't focus on romance, but Kishimoto made sure that their moments are series highlights no matter how low in quantity those are.

Not to mention, if you wanted even more, Naruto The Last is essentially the romantic finale to the series. Not to mention side stories about their engagement and wedding.

I actually struggle to think of an action shonen manga with more devotion to a romantic subplot, outside of an actual romance manga of course.

tumblr_inline_nxaybsYUXa1qa7avy_540.jpg

This one leak nearly crashed sites and still brings in the salt to this day.

Don't think you can match the Naruto shipping meltdown, as the series was trending everywhere at its conclusion.
Can't get over how shit of a character Sasuke is and how that literally makes Sakura a weaker character for falling for that.

Aleh

I am so conflicted when it comes to ships... Like, I would like Harry to be with Ginny, Hermione and Luna at the same time, but I don't want Hermione to be with Ron.

But generally I was really disappointed Buffy and Angel didn't become end game, same as Sora and Tai, Ash and Misty (although I don't dislike Serena either).

Other heated ships that come to mind are from The Vampire Diaries, with the whole Stelena/Delena thing going on, or also Klaroline... Though that isn't technically off the table.

OH and while it wasn't shown in the end, Kiyomaro from Gash Bell is also a case where I want him to get with both girls at the same time because I can't decide! Mizuno is sweet but Megumi probably fits him better aaaand idk.

I mean, technically I don't pay too much attention to this kind of stuff, but it can be fun sometimes.

I haven't seen Tenchi shipping wars since the early 00s but I was always TenchixSasami(at least for the few years I gave a shit about shipping) But I guess most ships ended up being canon anyway since
In true Jarain fashion Tenchi will eventually marry all the girls
I would probably bath in the tears if they ever actually took the series to that point.

I am so conflicted when it comes to ships... Like, I would like Harry to be with Ginny, Hermione and Luna at the same time, but I don't want Hermione to be with Ron.

But generally I was really disappointed Buffy and Angel didn't become end game, same as Sora and Tai, Ash and Misty (although I don't dislike Serena either).

Other heated ships that come to mind are from The Vampire Diaries, with the whole Stelena/Delena thing going on, or also Klaroline... Though that isn't technically off the table.

OH and while it wasn't shown in the end, Kiyomaro from Gash Bell is also a case where I want him to get with both girls at the same time because I can't decide! Mizuno is sweet but Megumi probably fits him better aaaand idk.

I mean, technically I don't pay too much attention to this kind of stuff, but it can be fun sometimes.
I thought Buffy and Angel knew that not being together was the best thing for each other...well I at least think Buffy knew this, Angel...probably didn't reach this conclusion since even in season 7 I think he was still hung up on her. Buffy moved on...he did at a lethargic snails pace.
Sasuke and sakura is probably top3 worst fictional couples ever. So fucked up.
Sarada's probably the result of a drunken Genjutsu.

I thought Buffy and Angel knew that not being together was the best thing for each other...well I at least think Buffy knew this, Angel...probably didn't reach this conclusion since even in season 7 I think he was still hung up on her. Buffy moved on...he did at a lethargic snails pace.

Sarada's probably the result of a drunken Genjutsu.

That or Sakura roofied Sasuke.

The answer was mad hot sex. I've seen the doujins.

She will always be the worst because of this lol

No nothing will surpass her being a shit human being and "confessing" to Naruto to get him to stop chasing Sasuke. Never wanted Sai to run her through with that sword of his more than that moment. The sheer disappointment when Sasuke didn't actually kill and it was a genjutsu.

Fj0823

No nothing will surpass her being a shit human being and "confessing" to Naruto to get him to stop chasing Sasuke. Never wanted Sai to run her through with that sword of his more than that moment. The sheer disappointment when Sasuke didn't actually kill and it was a genjutsu.

You don't even have to go that far. She made fun of Naruto for having no parents in an attempt to praise the kid who recently lost his.

She was the worst character in the show from Day 1.

You don't even have to go that far. She made fun of Naruto for having no parents in an attempt to praise the kid who recently lost his.

Sakura had no social graces. I might tease Hinata for being shy for way too long, but at least she had a good sense of humility.

Oh no, a 12 year old girl said some mean things, to which she then tried to make up for. Some of you watching Naruto ironically miss every single major theme the show has going for it.

She did it to save his life, something even Naruto understands. Laughing at the idea of Sakura dying. You know she's a main character right haha

Fj0823

I wonder how fans will react if the new companion Ash has in the reboot falls for him in the Japanese Version.

Also, One of the most hilarious one that I just remembered was YuGiOh! Zexal ending with MC and Cardboard Cutout Girl who Screams MCs name abruptly getting together.

13380937_263186340707927_241209344_n.jpg

People were not mad because they favored it over other pairings no, they were mad because the ONLY season to ever give proper resolution to the romance subplots was the one considered to be the absolute worst YuGiOh series ever made with two characters no one liked or cared about.

All the other series to that point always ended on MC leaving the girl forever for some "cool" reason,imply it but not really or simply ignoring they ever developed it. While having entire episodes of the characters on dates or stuff like that.

tumblr_ofnilcmBu41udn9g6o3_500.gif

3860af5b0400773de649808f51c355f5.jpg

Hell, this confession
tumblr_mi19831d7M1rg55g1o1_500.png

Ends with the character flat out ignoring the girl in the last season and getting himself a harem of fans he never notices.

And the series after Zexal kinda killed some of it's pairings...literally.
That didn't help.

People are already hoping for thethe sixth series, premiering today, to finally get it right.

rackham

Banned
Lol at people arguing about naruto. You people realize that it was written by a mediocre author right? Sakura may be the worst female ever created by a man. The fact that she ends up doing all of that stupid shit and having it not be satire should be proof enough

Lol at people arguing about naruto. You people realize that it was written by a mediocre author right? Sakura may be the worst female ever created by a man. The fact that she ends up doing all of that stupid shit and having it not be satire should be proof enough
She should've ate that hit in part 1 from beast mode Gaara...

Ray Down

Banned
Sasuke and sakura is probably top3 worst fictional couples ever. So fucked up.

Couple and characters are straight trash.
Anyone defending the couple comes across as sad.

She will always be the worst because of this lol

She not even the worst girl, but she up there.

Your right it's bad, but blame Kubo for not bothering to make Ichigo more diet Yusuke/ cardboard cutout shonen main character

Ray Down

Banned
Who's the worst? I was solely talking about Naruto btw

Karin is worse.

Sakura is a close 2nd.

Hell, this confession
tumblr_mi19831d7M1rg55g1o1_500.png

Ends with the character flat out ignoring the girl in the last season and getting himself a harem of fans he never notices.

And the series after Zexal kinda killed some of it's pairings...literally.
That didn't help.

People are already hoping for thethe sixth series, premiering today, to finally get it right.

This is due to the controversy the VA had when it got out she was part of a cult.

Karin is worse.

Sakura is a close 2nd.

This is due to the controversy the VA had when it got out she was part of a cult.

ROFL you telling Fj0823 that is just hilarious because the number 1 YGO expert in this forum is him minus like 2 other people.

On another note, its hard to take you serious when your avatar is that pic Psycho Mantis. But lets agree to disagree since our opinions are very different on the character.

Ray Down

Banned
Wait what? What happened?

Carly's season one voice actress was discovered to be a member of a dangerous cult that was under investigation in Japan at the time, which led to her being fired and the production staff panicking to cover up anything that might make the series seem pro-cult. Thus, Yliaster was retconned to being founded not by mystics in the past but time travelers from the future who went back to the past, Carly's entire arc was excised and she was Demoted to Extra, and the Psychic Duelists, who were actually a cult, simply vanished without explanation, leaving poor Aki without a plot of her own for the majority of the second season.

Man Naruto really did went to shit after the Pain arc, anything romance wise was shittier after that.
Let's have Choji and this random broad shack up for...reasons. Hey this girl has a cat, give her to Kiba. At least Temari and Shikamaru was hinted at since Part 1.

Carly's season one voice actress was discovered to be a member of a dangerous cult that was under investigation in Japan at the time, which led to her being fired and the production staff panicking to cover up anything that might make the series seem pro-cult. Thus, Yliaster was retconned to being founded not by mystics in the past but time travelers from the future who went back to the past, Carly's entire arc was excised and she was Demoted to Extra, and the Psychic Duelists, who were actually a cult, simply vanished without explanation, leaving poor Aki without a plot of her own for the majority of the second season.

They should have stuck through it and used the controversy to beef up viewer count and ratings. But still 5d ended up being the best YGO regardless. Makes me wonder what could have been if a certain time traveler didn't intervene and change events.

Ray Down

Banned
Let's have Choji and this random broad shack up for...reasons. Hey this girl has a cat, give her to Kiba. At least Temari and Shikamaru was hinted at since Part 1.

I'm mainly talking about Hinata confession being entirely ignored by Naruto. Which makes it the 2nd worst confession in the series.

Sakura "confession" tops it though.

LotusHD

Banned
Is that the confession she gives him while she's getting her ass beaten in by Pain?

Yes. What's even more hilarious is the dude is pinned down to the ground, so he has no choice but to listen to it. How do you manage to forget about that lol

EDIT: Talking about Hinata

There were plenty of people salty in The World That God Only Knows because Keima actually hooked up with one of the girls. The interesting thing is that most of the dislike of it was because most people believed it was out of character for Keima to choose a real-life girl at all and preferred it end either ambiguously or with him rejecting all of the girls.

I personally thought it was fine because he ended up picking
Chihiro - the "plain" girl that turned out to have a crush on Keima the entire time, so they actually averted a ton of negative tropes - Chihiro is supposed to be a plain, normal person so it really didn't dig into any wish fulfillment bullshit - it was just a girl that happened to like him prior to any of the plot related stuff happening.

Also
Chihiro is interesting because she's technically the girl he'd never conquer in a gal game. She would be one of the background characters, so in a way, him hooking up with her also plays on the thing of him being the god of capturing girls,
as this is the one girl he'd usually never be able to get.
Also I was totally for Chihiro when she was introduced and goddamn that ending made me smile.

Pretty much shows you how writers can be lazy sometimes. "We have a new generation uhhh this person ended up with this person because we need a character that is a mix of those two characters just because". Temari and Shikamaru made sense, some of the others are a bit questionable.

Fj0823

Karin is worse.

Sakura is a close 2nd.

I know that but there are probably a million ways to handle that with more grace.

Just have Jack tell us he's going to visit her because she got a good job as a reporter with a big paper and moved out. Show them in a quick scene, say goodbyes, tournament time. There character is written out gracefully.

But what do they do? They make as if the event never happened, make Carly a dumb fangirl and Jack's yesman when her entire arc was about her standing up to him teaching him to be humble.

They also regress her assistant into a fangirl level idiot when she was never shown to be like that before. She just admired the man.

And not only that they introduce a fucking Café waitress that loves Jack too...

And it doesn't even serves the plot!!. It was mostly used in filler episodes and scenes.

ROFL you telling Fj0823 that is just hilarious because the number 1 YGO expert in this forum is him minus like 2 other people.

Aw thanks Crimson, you're awesome too!!
But I really don't consider myself an expert as I'm really ignorant on the metagame aspects of the game. I play for fun and collect the cards, I've never set foot on a big official tournament, just fun local store stuff.
And fuck Zoodiacs

Ray Down

Banned
I know that but there are probably a million ways to handle that with more grace.

Just have Jack tell us he's going to visit her because she got a good job as a reporter with a big paper and moved out. Show them in a quick scene, say goodbyes, tournament time. There character is written out gracefully.

But what do they do? They make as if the event never happened, make Carly a dumb fangirl and Jack's Yemen when her entire arc was about her standing up to him teaching him to be humble.

They also regress her assistant into a fangirl level idiot when she was never shown to be like that before she just admired the man.

And not only that they introduce a fucking Café waitress that loves Jack too...

And it doesn't even serves the plot!!. It was mostly used in filler episodes and scenes.

Yeah 5D just handle that crap weird.

Then again Yugioh has a lot of issues with settling romances.

We all agree this was cool tho right

Best romance in that series, I also do sort of love in the final chapter Termari looks older dealing with her son and husband lazy shit attitude.

Yes. What's even more hilarious is the dude is pinned down to the ground, so he has no choice but to listen to it. How do you manage to forget about that lol

EDIT: Talking about Hinata
They could bullshit it away by saying his mind was wiped of very specific things after he went 6 tails, but still, that moment had to have been traumatic...or at least traumatic for anybody not Naruto.
We all agree this was cool tho right
I actually wished they interacted more unless it's some filler I haven't seen, but the ship is good, I support it.
Pretty much shows you how writers can be lazy sometimes. "We have a new generation uhhh this person ended up with this person because we need a character that is a mix of those two characters just because". Temari and Shikamaru made sense, some of the others are a bit questionable.
Sai and Ino is some left field shit, but I don't have that much of a problem with it. They seemed to have raised a good kid...the kid looks like a fucking albino, but I have no problem with them two.
Yes, also here's a perfect thing to show Sasuke system towards Sakura in the series.

Sneer
Alienate
Stab
Undermine self-worth
Knock up
Escape
And all of that seems to be her fetish or something.

Top Bottom