• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego City Undercover |OT| - This city has 4 ports

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I like that the discussion is over a word I never actually said.

I said 'barely playable'. And it is. It's hovering around 20-25 which is terrible. Yet it's still technically playable. It's just not up to modern standards.

Honest question: which is your opinion on Souls' games?

wartama

Neo Member
My Switch copy arrived yesterday and I played for about 3 hours in undocked mode. The framerates were rough, especially when there's water on screen or there are moving vehicles around. I enjoyed the cutscene and I love the setting, but the gameplay is very simplistic. Get to the right spot and press A to perform the action, press Y to break pieces, drive around the city following the green line (I want to turn that feature off, but I don't know how). I hope it picks up in the gameplay department.

bumpkin

My Switch copy arrived yesterday and I played for about 3 hours in undocked mode. The framerates were rough, especially when there's water on screen or there are moving vehicles around. I enjoyed the cutscene and I love the setting, but the gameplay is very simplistic. Get to the right spot and press A to perform the action, press Y to break pieces, drive around the city following the green line (I want to turn that feature off, but I don't know how). I hope it picks up in the gameplay department.
That's LEGO games in a nutshell. Their charm comes from the story telling and humor. I wish I could say it amps up the variety, but it does get very same-ey after a while. It was still a very enjoyable little romp (on the Wii U).

Lucifon

That's LEGO games in a nutshell. Their charm comes from the story telling and humor. I wish I could say it amps up the variety, but it does get very same-ey after a while. It was still a very enjoyable little romp (on the Wii U).
One thing I wish they added was difficulty options. The games are too easy which really damage my enjoyment. Skylanders for example is clearly aimed primarily towards kids but also offers difficulty options for those who want a bit more of a challenge rather than a cake walk.

BigEmil

Honest question: which is your opinion on Souls' games?
Not comparable. Souls games were made for that gen and the remasters were good solid.

LEGO City Undercover is a last gen Wii U game. Ported to current gen platforms. Still runs like shit. Ridiculous

Seik

Banned
So me and a friend had a pretty awesome setup yesterday on Switch.

We were at another friend's place and he has a 3D HDTV that has the option to play multiplayer split screen, but displays the entire screen for both players when you have the glasses on. So we played like that for hours and had a fucking blast!

I'd recommend doing this for anyone playing co-op with a 3D TV that has this option.

So me and a friend had a pretty awesome setup yesterday on Switch.

We were at another friend's place and he has a 3D HDTV that has the option to play multiplayer split screen, but displays the entire screen for both players when you have the glasses on. So we played like that for hours and had a fucking blast!

I'd recommend doing this for anyone playing co-op with a 3D TV that has this option.

That is awesome.

I'm expecting my copy to arrive tomorrow. Will pick up a Pro Controller on my way home. Looking forward to playing it with wifey.

correojon

A question for those playing in spanish (from Spain): I've never played a Lego game before but have heard they all have awesome humour, how's it in spanish? Is the translation well done? Thanks!

Mudo

Anyone else have fairly bad performance docked in single player mode? I'm having a blast with the game but damn, driving around in the city and it hitches for a second a lot and stutters. The forest area is constant stutter and choppiness. The area between the police station and train station is stuttery when turning the camera while walking around. I had heard Undocked and co-op had issues but was expecting it to perform better docked :/

Glix

I like that the discussion is over a word I never actually said.

I said 'barely playable'. And it is. It's hovering around 20-25 which is terrible. Yet it's still technically playable. It's just not up to modern standards.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Games have pushed hardware and not had smooth framerates since polygons became a thing. Before that we had slowdown.

You literally don't know what you are talking about.

DrDerekDrs

Neo Member
A question for those playing in spanish (from Spain): I've never played a Lego game before but have heard they all have awesome humour, how's it in spanish? Is the translation well done? Thanks!

I don't speak Spanish, however the translation for this particular LEGO game was handled by Nintendo, so I would imagine it'd be of a pretty good standard.

EDarkness

Anyone else have fairly bad performance docked in single player mode? I'm having a blast with the game but damn, driving around in the city and it hitches for a second a lot and stutters. The forest area is constant stutter and choppiness. The area between the police station and train station is stuttery when turning the camera while walking around. I had heard Undocked and co-op had issues but was expecting it to perform better docked :/

I've put in many hours in docked mode/single player and have not had those issues at all. It hasn't been 100% smooth (some frame drops here and there), but overall no problems. Been all over the map, too.

Mudo

I've put in many hours in docked mode/single player and have not had those issues at all. It hasn't been 100% smooth (some frame drops here and there), but overall no problems. Been all over the map, too.

Yeah that's what i thought i had read also. What in the world could be happening to me? Zelda, Fast RMX etc all run exactly how they are supposed to - i'm really confused

EDarkness

Yeah that's what i thought i had read also. What in the world could be happening to me? Zelda, Fast RMX etc all run exactly how they are supposed to - i'm really confused

There's gotta be something going on with your NS or something. I have yet to experience anything like that. No hitching at all.

Mudo

There's gotta be something going on with your NS or something. I have yet to experience anything like that. No hitching at all.

Well, I bought it digitally and installed it to Swirch internal memory since e that supposedly improves load times. Maybe i should reinstall onto my SD card? So frustrating I just have no idea what the problem could even be ugh

Well, I bought it digitally and installed it to Swirch internal memory since e that supposedly improves load times. Maybe i should reinstall onto my SD card? So frustrating I just have no idea what the problem could even be ugh

I have a retail version and it is not very smooth at all even docked. I also have Wii U version and while this is better in most areas, overall it isn't nearly as good as I hoped. Actually Wii U has a stable bad frame rate and this is all over the place in some places. I don't know which is worse. Really wish for a patch.

Mudo

I have a retail version and it is not very smooth at all even docked. I also have Wii U version and while this is better in most areas, overall it isn't nearly as good as I hoped. Actually Wii U has a stable bad frame rate and this is all over the place in some places. I don't know which is worse. Really wish for a patch.

Someone at work said i should try swapping out the HDMI cable so i'll try that and hope

Glix

If you don't already love Frank Honey you soon will.

I love him so much. The loading screen about "Lego City's worst criminals" destroyed me.

Additionally, I just saw the idle animations for the Gorilla suit and they are amazing. I never even realized certain suits have their own idles.

Glix

I have had some weird issues with games after downloading. Especially on a shoddy connection. Twice I downloaded a game from a phone tether on a shit cellular connection. Both times I had weird issues with massive load times and strange performance issues. I deleted and redownloaded and it was fine.

Unless you are on a strict bandwidth limit that is the first thing I would check.

Additionally, if the game installed to the internal, but the patch installed to an SD card, I would rectify that as well. (delete entire game, take out SD, download game AND patch, and only then, re-insert the SD)

leng jai

Returned my PS4 version for the Switch one. The performance is garbage out in the open world, it's almost as bad as it gets without being "unplayable". An absolute joke compared to how BOTW runs in portable mode.

Phoenixus

Loved that last level on WiiU, loved playing it again on Switch. Might actually explore the whole city casually now thanks to portable play. :)

F34R

I'm only about a half hour in (on the switch) and so far it's been pretty good. Visually, I can't complain. Framerate hasn't been bad at all.

Robin64

Finishing the game and unlocking all the abilities (remember to alter your Robber costume to
Rex Fury
so you can open boxes) makes exploring the city so relaxing. I just turn this on in the evening, pick a zone, and wander. Being able to deal with everything I come across is a joy, especially with infinite dynamite and the super color gun.

Phoenixus

Finishing the game and unlocking all the abilities (remember to alter your Robber costume to
Rex Fury
so you can open boxes) makes exploring the city so relaxing. I just turn this on in the evening, pick a zone, and wander. Being able to deal with everything I come across is a joy, especially with infinite dynamite and the super color gun.

Ooh, where do you get the red bricks for those upgrades? That'd make things so much easier.

Robin64

Ooh, where do you get the red bricks for those upgrades? That'd make things so much easier.

You get the Super Color Gun from
behind a wall on top of the Toy Store in Uptown
and Unlimited Dynamite from
Special Assignment 3, using the chicken to glide to a platform near the end.
They are definitely game changers.

Phoenixus

You get the Super Color Gun from
behind a wall on top of the Toy Store in Uptown
and Unlimited Dynamite from
Special Assignment 3, using the chicken to glide to a platform near the end.
They are definitely game changers.

Thanks! Going to grab them now.

Played 2 hours with the wife in co-op before we had to go to bed.

1. She loves it. Doesn't play games outside of Mario but this one clicked with her. Her first "open world" game and she enjoys exploring the city.
2. The framerate thing is overblown, IMO. It didn't bother us one bit.

It's been a great experience so far. Our first Lego game.

faridmon

The pre-order arrived

Played about 4 hours, man this game move. From one mission to another and all of the sudden I am in Chapter 4.

But man, is it painful on the Switch (playing exclusively on handheld ode), the framerate is rough and the game just hitches constantly, especially in the forest area. Man this is a dodgy port and wish I cancelled my pre-order and got it for cheap.

The game itself is fine, albeit too simplistic. Is the whole game run to point A, press 1 button and continue to point B just to press another button? The game is incredibly simplistic and hope it gets harder late in the game

The cutscenes and the constant dialoug is one thing I am enjoying heavily. the game is heavy on the story and I love every single minuutte of it. Nothing is laugh out fun, but one or to scenes did get a chickle out of me

Actually kinda impressed with the switch version compared to the ps4... Seems like the team shot for parity on image quality rather than performance. 1080 docked / 720 docked 30 fpsish experience.

Wondering why they thought it was a good idea on the ps4 to run at 60 fps in some less demanding areas and then 30fps for most of the game... kinda odd

I thought only 1 player could be in a vehicle at any single time. Just realized it depends on the vehicle type and size. We were able to get into a police van together.

LordKano

Digital Foundry Comparison is up!

Watching now. Gonna be interesting to see their analysis.

How interesting, the PS4 version is capped at 60fps in indoor environments and get back to 30 once you're outside, while the Switch version (and the original Wii U game) keeps 30fps everywhere. Very strange, since as the Digital Foundry guy, it offers some inconsistencies when you switch from indoor to outside environments quickly.

The Xbox One version runs at a lower resolution than Switch oO

How interesting, the PS4 version is capped at 60fps in indoor environments and get back to 30 once you're outside, while the Switch version (and the original Wii U game) keeps 30fps everywhere. Very strange, since as the Digital Foundry guy, it offers some inconsistencies when you switch from indoor to outside environments quickly.

I am wondering if the ps4 just couldnt hold a locked 60 in this game so they went for a staggered locked framerate to keep visuals high?

The Xbox One version runs at a lower resolution than Switch oO
I'm impressed that the Switch version holds up so well actually. Better resolution over XBox One is very surprising.

Top Bottom