• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego City Undercover Switch cover mentions 13GB download [Up3: Full game on card]

Vitacat

That's your opinion. I think the reaction was ridiculous and yeah, I can understand people being concerned initially, but even after two statements about it, people were still crying foul. No excuse for it at that point.

I tend to agree.

There seems to be an omnipresent contingent that thrives on negativity, to the point of seeing negative things that aren't even there. I'm thinking of the recent BOTW patch for example, where some of those types claimed they saw lower res textures, lower draw distance etc.when it was pretty obvious the game looked the same but just had been optimized to run smoother. Thankfully that was confirmed by DF, so that nonsense has been shut down.

NateDrake

I tend to agree.

There seems to be an omnipresent contingent that thrives on negativity, to the point of seeing negative things that aren't even there. I'm thinking of the recent BOTW patch for example, where some of those types swore up and down they saw lower res textures, lower draw distance etc.when it was pretty obvious the game looked the same but just had been optimized to run smoother. Thankfully that was confirmed by DF, so that nonsense has been shut down.

The real issue is how many people only see the negative and never see the "good" news. People flocked to the thread when it was bad, but once it was all clarified things slowed down. One could make the argument that negative news just draws attention from all sides.

Glix

I tend to agree.

There seems to be an omnipresent contingent that thrives on negativity, to the point of seeing negative things that aren't even there. I'm thinking of the recent BOTW patch for example, where some of those types claimed they saw lower res textures, lower draw distance etc.when it was pretty obvious the game looked the same but just had been optimized to run smoother. Thankfully that was confirmed by DF, so that nonsense has been shut down.

You have to remember as well that some % of these people are console warriors who are delighted to shit on anything Switch related and have no interest in ever buying the system or the game in question.

Its a sad truth.

Well, before WB explained, I can understand, though people telling they were lying after that, I agree that it was too much.

That misprint did stir a lot of shit, but hey, at least we're not getting semi-games because of the carts!

Honestly what I feared the most, in this whole issue, wasn't specifically for this game, but more like it would have set a precedent for other devs to take as an example of what they could do. If that was to be true, a lot of the Switch's physical library would've turned to shit the moment I'd hear that X game used this 'strategy' as a bypass to buy cheaper carts.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, the box was certainly an issue. I just couldn't believe how folks still implied they were lying after the statements lol. At least this story had a somewhat happy ending.

I tend to agree.

I was actually thinking of that too. Folks were swearing up and down that it was downgraded. I'm as passionate about games as the next guy, but the negativity does get to be a bit much. That goes for most issues around here.

Crazy how barren the DF thread about the patch is atm lol.

I bought this full price when it came on the Wii U and i got my money's worth.

Everyone in the house finished this game and had a blast (Me, wife, son and daughter)

I logged near 100 hours trying to get everything.

Totally worth it guys.

Dynheart

Banned
What I find funny is how realism and negativity always has to be synonymous with each other. I want to know when those two outlooks became attached at the hip. The reason I bring this up is because I see so frequently:

Example: "This Lego game is going to be 720p on the Switch."
" How do you know? Nothing is confirmed."
"The Switch is hardly more powerful than the Wii U, I'm just being realistic."

There were a few examples of that in this thread. Setting up a negative expectation, shutting down any reasonable argument, and countering it by being "realistic."

I guess there's no such thing as positive realism around here. eh?

Plum

The real issue is how many people only see the negative and never see the "good" news. People flocked to the thread when it was bad, but once it was all clarified things slowed down. One could make the argument that negative news just draws attention from all sides.

Yeah, to be honest a new thread should be made for all the new news that's come out. Most people would have just come into the thread, posted their hot take and left. Though, as Richi said about the DF BotW patch video, it'll likely get much less attention than this one did.

Having to explain multiple times that compression can do wonders to a game's file size was frustrating.

What I find funny is how realism and negativity always has to be synonymous with each other. I want to know when those two outlooks became attached at the hip. The reason I bring this up is because I see so frequently:

There were a few examples of that in this thread. Setting up a negative expectation, shutting down any reasonable argument, and countering it by being "realistic."

Agree, is a shame that the game being confirmed as a native 1080p is a bad news for some people. If it was 720p or sub 720p, you could bet that somebody was going to create a thread only for that.. Also... where is the OT of this game?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ugh, I caved. I knew I would. Now to figure out how to justify the purchase...

Play the game and enjoy the entire thing. It's fantastic.

Actually, most of the 720p stuff came from a Nintendo World Report (or something similar) video where the man giving the preview specifically said it would be 720p.

shiyrley

Banned
I think that the lack of local communication coop on Switch convinced me to just get the game on PC:

Now: can anyone confirms these points?
- Does it support Steam Cloud?
- Does it support 1440p?
- Does it run well?

Rodin

Surprised at how good the Switch version looks, from the comparison screens posted it seems really close to the PS4 one and vastly improved vs Wii U. Maybe i'll get it when it drops in price.

Does anybody know if the load times are better on the Switch than on the Wii U?

Yes. Up to 20 seconds faster, but still pretty long (around 50 seconds for the initial load iirc vs 70-80 for Wii U).

EDIT: here

I tend to agree.

It's extremely sad how much people love their negativity. The Super Bomberman R free DLC thread was also extremely barren in comparison to all the negative threads about the game. It makes me a sad puppy. There are several people here who do nothing but say negative things about the Switch, I'm surprised they still have their member statuses.

It's extremely sad how much people love their negativity. The Super Bomberman R free DLC thread was also extremely barren in comparison to all the negative threads about the game. It makes me a sad puppy. There are several people here who do nothing but say negative things about the Switch, I'm surprised they still have their member statuses.

I mean...this is a forum where every time that game is brought up, a select group of people chime in to say that "it's not selling". When every bit of evidence we have (sell-through numbers as well) show otherwise.

Stick to the narrative, dammit.

So basically we've gone from rumors and panic about the Switch version being an incomplete game on cartridge that needed a 13 GB download to play and ran at 720p docked, to the reality being a complete game on cartridge that has a 500MB update and runs at 1080p docked.

Nice. Very nice.
Yeah! All things considered we went from like "worst possible outcome" to "best(?) possible outcome" so that is pretty nice.

Agreed to a degree, but it definitely shined a light on how obnoxious folks can be. It wouldn't hurt for many of us to stop jumping the gun on certain issues. Even after getting clarification, folks were acting like WB was lying.

Their wording for "clarification" didn't clear very many things up.

Here's how it went down, as a memory refresher (didn't mean to target this specifically at you initially):

- Box art for LUC is posted. Internet Required and 13GB space needed stickers on the box.
- People freak out. WTF? Why??
- Looking at all available evidence, every version of LCU is around ~20GB, Switch is ~7GB, box says ~13GB required. 7+13=20, putting it in line with the size of the other games. Reasonable assumption made: the whole game's not on the card?
- People continue to freak out. What's on the card? What's in the mandatory install?
- First PR statement comes out. Game is on the card. Download not required.
- Ok then what's with the 13GB install? Why is Internet Required?
- IGN contacts WB. WB says game is playable start to finish off card. IGN and WB cite "small" content patch on Day 1. Box art was a misprint.
- Most people settle down. Things still don't add up though. Misprint of what? How "small" is "small" by WB's metric? What exactly is in the download?
- Game releases. Full game, all side quests, audio, cutscenes, etc on the card. Patch is ~500MB.
- People finally settle down.

In retrospect, it's really, really easy to say people were overreacting, because in the end, everything actually (surprisingly/alarmingly?) worked out just fine. But the box art, then the weird response from WB, nobody being able to answer the question of how big the patch actually was or what's in it despite reviewers having copies, those are perfectly valid reasons for concern. It wouldn't be the first time a developer or publisher has used vague language to mislead. "The main game is playable from start to finish" ok MAIN game, do we have to download side quests, or the co-op mode? People are asking because they've been burnt before.

If the box art hadn't leaked online, people would be walking into stores blind today to see Internet Required and 13GB Install Needed stickers on the box, and then riots really would have started. As it is, we're still only finally finding out all the information after release from people biting the bullet and buying it to check. That's ridiculous.

I think that the lack of local communication coop on Switch convinced me to just get the game on PC:

Now: can anyone confirms these points?
- Does it support Steam Cloud?
- Does it support 1440p?
- Does it run well?
You should look at the steam forums for the game. The port seems to have issues right now to put it lightly. Hopefully they will sort it out

Persona7

Banned
Anyone know if this game has the 2.0.0 firmware patch on it? My friend lives in the middle of nowhere and has limited internet and limited cell phone connectivity and can't update easily.

shiyrley

Banned
Anyone know if this game has the 2.0.0 firmware patch on it? My friend lives in the middle of nowhere and has limited internet and limited cell phone connectivity and can't update easily.
I don't know if it has the 2.0.0 update, but it will have whatever firmware update it needs to run, if that's the issue

Persona7

Banned
I don't know if it has the 2.0.0 update, but it will have whatever firmware update it needs to run, if that's the issue

Yeah, I am assuming it works in a way similar to the 3DS where it includes the needed firmware for the game to run. It's probably still too early and most games don't need updated firmware to run correctly.

Glix

I wonder if they will let us pull firmware from another switch once they patch in the ability to get game updates from another switch

You should look at the steam forums for the game. The port seems to have issues right now to put it lightly. Hopefully they will sort it out

That's disappointing. :(

But on the up-side, I have at least 4 LEGO games in my Steam library I haven't even touched yet (and LEGO Dimensions on PS4), so I don't exactly need more, haha.

Yeah! All things considered we went from like "worst possible outcome" to "best(?) possible outcome" so that is pretty nice.

Here's how it went down, as a memory refresher (didn't mean to target this specifically at you initially):

- Box art for LUC is posted. Internet Required and 13GB space needed stickers on the box.
- Looking at all available evidence, every version of LCU is around ~20GB, Switch is ~7GB, box says ~13GB required. 7+13=20, putting it in line with the size of the other games. Reasonable assumption made: the whole game's not on the card?
- People continue to freak out. What's on the card? What's in the mandatory install?
- IGN contacts WB. WB says game is playable start to finish off card. IGN and WB cite "small" content patch on Day 1. Box art was a misprint.
- Most people settle down. Things still don't add up though. Misprint of what? How "small" is "small" by WB's metric? What exactly is in the download?
- Game releases. Full game, all side quests, audio, cutscenes, etc on the card. Patch is ~500MB.

In retrospect, it's really, really easy to say people were overreacting, because in the end, everything actually (surprisingly/alarmingly?) worked out just fine. But the box art, then the weird response from WB, nobody being able to answer the question of how big the patch actually was or what's in it despite reviewers having copies, those are perfectly valid reasons for concern. It wouldn't be the first time a developer or publisher has used vague language to mislead. "The main game is playable from start to finish" ok MAIN game, do we have to download side quests, or the co-op mode? People are asking because they've been burnt before.

If the box art hadn't leaked online, people would be walking into stores blind today to see Internet Required and 13GB Install Needed stickers on the box, and then riots really would have started. As it is, we're still only finally finding out all the information after release from people biting the bullet and buying it to check. That's ridiculous.

Sorry, you can't justify it to me. It was obnoxious and silly. We're just going to have to agree to disagree and move on.

Mega

Banned
Think I'll pick this up after work. Does Best Buy GCU apply the discount if I buy in-store/bring directly to the register? I've only used GCU to preorder online and pick up in store.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Think I'll pick this up after work. Does Best Buy GCU apply the discount if I buy in-store/bring directly to the register? I've only used GCU to preorder online and pick up in store.

Yeah, GCU works in-store as well, you'll just need to give them your phone number to pull up your GCU membership.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
How bad are we talking for the frame rate in portable? I can deal with some drops but if its pretty much 25fps when in the city. I'm going to have to pass

So I played about 45 min in portable mode, I did the chapter 2 mission, there was some countryside and city driving, it's not that bad, there's more drops than in docked mode, it's not unplayable but can add some latency while driving.

Platform sequences runs well so it's not affected.

BTW, battery went from 100% to 77% in about 45min of gameplay.

Videos still uploading, should be up in 1 hour, I hope.

So I played about 45 min in portable mode, I did the chapter 2 mission, there was some countryside and city driving, it's not that bad, there's more drops than in docked mode, it's not unplayable but can add some latency while driving.

Platform sequences runs well so it's not affected.

BTW, battery went from 100% to 77% in about 45min of gameplay.

Videos still uploading, should be up in 1 hour, I hope.

So, overall, this is a decent port?

Mega

Banned
Yeah, GCU works in-store as well, you'll just need to give them your phone number to pull up your GCU membership.

Cool, thanks. Well, off I go! Optimistic that Switch handheld convenience will have me putting serious hours into this like BOTW. All my Steam Lego games are practically untouched.

Calm Mind

Pretty good synopsis.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Probably considering this game wasn't on 3DS as far as the rest of us know...

Pretty sure he's referencing "The Chase Begins" which is actually a pretty decent spin-off of the Wii U game. (Especially considering the state of most 3DS Lego game ports.)

arimanius

Picked this up in the way home. Played the Wii U version but never finished it. Think the game looks pretty good on the switch. I also picked up a pro controller. Never wanted one but broke down and got it. It's a pretty damn nice controller.

Edit* yup. Load times just as bad as I remember lol

-shadow-

Pretty sure he's referencing "The Chase Begins" which is actually a pretty decent spin-off of the Wii U game. (Especially considering the state of most 3DS Lego game ports.)

I still wish they actually included this as a packin game with the new release. It's not terrible, but it's really poor because of the 3DS limitations.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I did some screens there : http://imgur.com/a/dFsLz

Note that the last two are in the same place, the "portable" one is a screenshot taken with the consoles built-in feature, then shown in docked mode (that's why it's a 1080p file).
But on screen in portable mode, pixels look 1 for 1 like the screen, 720p.
Note also that the distant blur is different in portable mode.

Some screens :

About load times, it's installed on a Sandisk 128 GB, about 1min to get to the city, 30-45sec to the police interior.
It's very approximate, I did not time it.

Nice. If I wouldn't have completed it 100% on Wii U already I would have been tempted to pick it up on Switch.

Top Bottom