• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego City Undercover Switch cover mentions 13GB download [Up3: Full game on card]

Nah, I'm that crazy person who has both the Wii U and 3DS versions.

I think I'm gonna wait for a price drop on this one though. If they had added some content in I would have gladly bought it at full price but when it's practically the same game I already own I'm good with waiting it out.

It's been years since I played it, and I enjoyed it enough to pick up the 3DS version... so a portable version of this game has always kind of appealed to me.

So... yeah.

I won't deny that there's no way I'd be buying it if I didn't feel like I needed more software for my Switch, but I'll get my money's worth playing this all the way through again.

arimanius

Oh sorry I may have been confused as to who/what you were referring to about the patch. Since IGN got their statement from WB we've known there was a patch, just not the what/when/why of it, so that's what I was talking about. Sorry for the confusion!

hehe no worries I'm a little confused myself. See below

Lol you realize I'm Glix, right!

I thought you meant that some guy from TT or WB said there was no patch.

I actually had no clue lol

Glix

Weird, I downloaded the patch and it shut of music and rumble in my options. Also seems to have added an option to scale the UI, unless I just missed in the pre-patched version.

Also, just like snake pass the patch downloaded to my SD card and now the loading times are BRUTAL.

I'm starting to think the Samsung 128gb EVO SD does not get along well with the switch at all.

NateDrake

Wow, so it's in 1080p after all.

Where did that 720p docked info from a couple of days ago came from?

The 720p info was just speculation based on the previewers playing the game. It was never confirmed, but they assumed it was 720p at the time. Eyewitness accounts of resolution isn't always accurate if the person is just guessing.

guek

Banned
Got the game on Switch, captured a bit of docked gameplay, I can confirm it's in 1080p, some drops in the open world but did not notice something dramatic.

I tried a bit of portable mode, seems a bit less stable, but 720p.

I'm encoding some videos for Gamersyde (docked obviously), I might do a short framerate one.

EDIT: BTW, it's a digital one, 8.7GB including 450MB of patch, it got at least English and French voices, I did not notice some heavy audio compression.

1080p? That's a welcome surprise.

Screenshots in this thread (the switch ps4p comparison ones) look very clean, so I'm not surprised.

The AA looked better in the Switch screenshot (although obviously there are other issues here like lack of DOF effect / distance haze and presumably the PS4P isn't exhibiting the frame drops the Switch version does).

I'm picking up the Switch version in a couple of hours, so I'll see for myself soon enough.

Yes I already played this and am now paying $10 more to play it again on the Switch, but whatever.

Who else here played this on Wii U and 3DS? Just me then?

Okay.

Hope I didn't get you upset. I just was commenting on how there's some ambiguity with this title.

Jeffrey

Yup, and none of those options worked - they simply weren't selectable.

I think it's deliberate, because they haven't disabled those options in-game. However, if you do change the graphics settings, then it crashes...

(I'm on an Nvidia graphics card (980? I think?) and have never had any issues with any of the other Lego games)

Ah well, it's not like I don't have other games to play at the moment; maybe there'll be a patch at some point.

So they default to on at least or does the game start at 480p lol.

Weird, I downloaded the patch and it shut of music and rumble in my options. Also seems to have added an option to scale the UI, unless I just missed in the pre-patched version.

Also, just like snake pass the patch downloaded to my SD card and now the loading times are BRUTAL.

I'm starting to think the Samsung 128gb EVO SD does not get along well with the switch at all.

Could you delete the download, remove the SD card and download it again and tell us how it runs? Curious to see if there is any improvement.

LordKano

Got the game on Switch, captured a bit of docked gameplay, I can confirm it's in 1080p, some drops in the open world but did not notice something dramatic.

I'm encoding some videos for Gamersyde (docked obviously), I might do a short framerate one.

EDIT: BTW, it's a digital one, 8.7GB including 450MB of patch, it got at least English and French voices, I did not notice some heavy audio compression.

Please post link to your videos once you've uploaded them, I'm interested to see how it holds up. 1080/720 is good news, I hope the framerate isn't too shabby in portable mode, if I ever pick it up that's how I'll mostly play.

Anything about load times ?

Vitacat

So basically we've gone from rumors and panic about the Switch version being an incomplete game on cartridge that needed a 13 GB download to play and ran at 720p docked, to the reality being a complete game on cartridge that has a 500MB update and runs at 1080p docked.

Nice. Very nice.

Cru Jones

Really, I was hoping the patch would speed up load times :(

Mega

Banned

It's native 1080p? Captured output will always be 1080p since the Switch upscales it from whatever the actual res may be (BOTW's 900p).

Hope I didn't get you upset. I just was commenting on how there's some ambiguity with this title.

What? No, I was basically agreeing with you.

I trust gamersyde on these kind of matters (and I don't trust many people beyond my own eyes on stuff like this). All the same I'm looking forwards to seeing it for myself and watching someone giving it a deeper dive measuring performance etc.

It's native 1080p? Captured output will always be 1080p since the Switch upscales it from whatever the actual res may be (BOTW's 900p).

gamersyde capture gameplay footage all the time. they know of what they speak.

plus you've got this:

NS vs WiiU. The NS resolution is better than the Wii U version.

kYrodla.png

if that isn't native 1080p with decent AA they're doing some incredible upscaling tricks.

What? No, I was basically agreeing with you.

I trust gamersyde on these kind of matters (and I don't trust many people beyond my own eyes on stuff like this). All the same I'm looking forwards to seeing it for myself and watching someone giving it a deeper dive measuring performance etc.

Ah, okay. I didn't know if my post was interpreted as a drive-by crap post. Sorry for the confusion!

Glix

Could you delete the download, remove the SD card and download it again and tell us how it runs? Curious to see if there is any improvement.

Thats what I did for snake pass and it made a HUGE difference.

Then I deleted it again and downloaded it to the sd card again and the load times were worse then internal memory but much better than the first time I downloaded to the card. (sort of off topic note - Even if a game is installed to internal memory, patches will download to the SD card if it is inserted. I have to imagine this has a negative effect on the game)

I had to download the patch today with a tether and it took forever, but when I get home I will test and post the results here.

Really, I was hoping the patch would speed up load times :(

I'm 99% sure its an issue with my SD and not with the game or the patch.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member

Switch is 1080p?

Are you sure

I did some screens there : http://imgur.com/a/dFsLz

Note that the last two are in the same place, the "portable" one is a screenshot taken with the consoles built-in feature, then shown in docked mode (that's why it's a 1080p file).
But on screen in portable mode, pixels look 1 for 1 like the screen, 720p.
Note also that the distant blur is different in portable mode.

Some screens :
NYbIMVs.png

Docked :
siE8oZh.png

Portable :
(screenshot taken with the consoles built-in feature, then shown in docked mode)
bVoNreb.png

About load times, it's installed on a Sandisk 128 GB, about 1min to get to the city, 30-45sec to the police interior.
It's very approximate, I did not time it.

Nice that it is 1080p. I assume it's comparable to the Xbox 1 and PS4 versions than, with only minor differences and some framerate drops?

Xbox as well.

You probably paid full-price for Lego City unless you got lucky. It never had an official price cut until it was reprinted as a Nintendo Selects title, and I don't think it had many sales. Especially since it got pretty rare after a while.

I know it wasn't an official price drop but I remember KMart had LCU for $10-$15 when they were clearancing out some Wii U games and again later when they clearanced out all of their gaming section.

It's definitely 1080p. There also seems to be DoF if you look at the background.

There is, it's just way less aggressive. I actually prefer it to the PS4 version even if what's there is technically more demanding. Definitely better than Wii U, difference is obvious.

wowzors

How bad are we talking for the frame rate in portable? I can deal with some drops but if its pretty much 25fps when in the city. I'm going to have to pass

Vitacat

Note that the last two are in the same place, the "portable" one is a screenshot taken with the consoles built-in feature, then shown in docked mode (that's why it's a 1080p file).

Some screens :

About load times, it's installed on a Sandisk 128 GB, about 1min to get to the city, 30-45sec to the police interior.

Thanks for those screens. I'm pretty happy with that. And I actually prefer it without the DOF effect, but I guess it's cool they included it when docked if only to show the Switch can do it.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
How bad are we talking for the frame rate in portable? I can deal with some drops but if its pretty much 25fps when in the city. I'm going to have to pass

I did not play enough yet, only did some camera pan in some spots to see the difference with docked mode.

I'm still editing and encoding videos, I won't play again until it's done.

Plum

Some screens :

Thanks for the screens, looks good.

How does it look in handheld mode? It's hard to tell with blown up screenshots like that.

Jeffrey

Default settings were 720p, no V-sync, high detail textures. All I did was change to 1080p and V-sync.

I could investigate further, but like I say - other things to do.
Did you try running the game? I assume a 980 should handle 60fps at 1080p easy enough.

Might be some frame pacing issues.

Glix

Its weird. The thing that really seems to get it is camera movement. I was just doing the very early mission where you are chasing a clown on foot and when I swung the camera around while I was running after him on a busy street it dropped a bunch of frames.

There is something about the horizontal camera movement thats really weird. I can't put my finger on it but I hate it. It acts differently if you are trying to swing it around you depending on if you are moving or standing still.

Seik

Banned
So basically we've gone from rumors and panic about the Switch version being an incomplete game on cartridge that needed a 13 GB download to play and ran at 720p docked, to the reality being a complete game on cartridge that has a 500MB update and runs at 1080p docked.

Nice. Very nice.

While it was initially infuriating, the outcome is the best.

We've been giving shit to WB for nothing, but the issues we misunderstood were important enough to validate people getting upset.

This thread is tempting me to pick this up...I've been looking for another giant game to play portably and I sunk 30 some hours into the Wii U version a few years ago and loved everything I played.

Buy this now, or wait for Disgaea 5. Decisions.

Plum

It looks really good, as it matches the screen's resolution, it's really sharp.

Ah, that's great. Thanks! Only thing that'll stop me from getting the Switch version now is how severe the performance is in the open world. Hopefully DF gets a video out.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Some screens :

Wow, I'm back on getting it for Switch. Nice.

Mega

Banned

Some screens :

Thanks. Those look pretty good. I'll probably pick it up and take some captures of my own alongside the Wii U version.

The built-in app is such a shitshow. Wish Nintendo offered an uncompressed PNG option.

if that isn't native 1080p with decent AA they're doing some incredible upscaling tricks.

Good point. I didn't know the source for that so wasn't sure how accurate it was.

While it was initially infuriating, the outcome is the best.

We've been giving shit to WB for nothing, but the issues we misunderstood were important enough to validate people getting upset.

Agreed to a degree, but it definitely shined a light on how obnoxious folks can be. It wouldn't hurt for many of us to stop jumping the gun on certain issues. Even after getting clarification, folks were acting like WB was lying.

Bought it today because the Switch thirst for games is real, but I still game on Persona 5
I've read the load times are substantially improved from the Wii U version ?

Glix

Agreed to a degree, but it definitely shined a light on how obnoxious folks can be. It wouldn't hurt for many of us to stop jumping the gun on certain issues. Even after getting clarification, folks were acting like WB was lying.

In fairness, retail copies of the game (including mine) say INTERNET REQUIRED right on the freaking front of the box.

I think ppl can be excused for thinking the publisher might be mixed up, or lying, as it would certainly not be an unprecedented thing to happen.

Glix

So are we 100% certain the game doesn't have local communication coop with two switches?

Yes. There is no multiplayer option from the menu. When you are playing, another player can hit start on another joycon/pro controller to jump in.

In fairness, retail copies of the game (including mine) say INTERNET REQUIRED right on the freaking front of the box.

I think ppl can be excused for thinking the publisher might be mixed up, or lying, as it would certainly not be an unprecedented thing to happen.

That's your opinion. I think the reaction was ridiculous and yeah, I can understand people being concerned initially, but even after two statements about it, people were still crying foul. No excuse for it at that point.

BluWacky

Did you try running the game? I assume a 980 should handle 60fps at 1080p easy enough.

Might be some frame pacing issues.

Restarting the game fixed it (you can't set any graphics options until you're in game, anyway). You still can't make any changes to graphical options from the main menu, but at least it's displaying properly now.

Seik

Banned

Well, before WB explained, I can understand, though people telling they were lying after that, I agree that it was too much.

That misprint did stir a lot of shit, but hey, at least we're not getting semi-games because of the carts!

Honestly what I feared the most, in this whole issue, wasn't specifically for this game, but more like it would have set a precedent for other devs to take as an example of what they could do. If that was to be true, a lot of the Switch's physical library would've turned to shit the moment I'd hear that X game used this 'strategy' as a bypass to buy cheaper carts.

Pinky

Banned

Nice. Very nice.

Very nice, indeed! I never played this on Wii U, but the Switch version looks crisp and clean. Looks like the perfect time to dive in.

Top Bottom