• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego City Undercover Switch cover mentions 13GB download [Up3: Full game on card]

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
No DOF effect in the NS version... other than that looks pretty similar. I am goint to try a pixel count.
ZU4xQ1i.png

Maybe it was the videos I was watching, but the PS4Pro looked noticeably cleaner.

Peterthumpa

It's a full fledged game, but I can get fully fledged games for less than a tenner. More recent games than that, and original titles that are not multi-platform. There can't have been a great deal of effort put into these ports surely?

You do have a point, but the Lego brand itself is strong enough to justify the asking price, I think.

He said there's no patch.

He said there's no 13 GB patch. We've known for a while now thanks to IGN and WB that there IS a patch, but we have not known the size of it or its contents.

There is indeed a patch, but it is a regular day one patch with performance optimisations and minor tweaks to menus and other things. I found one source that says it is 481 MB rather than 13 GB. I got this from this source (a Dutch one): http://www.dailynintendo.nl/2017/04...eeft-wel-day-one-patch-maar-die-is-geen-13gb/

They have downloaded the game patch and reported on their findings.
Ah excellent, thank you!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Lol are they seriously gonna charge full price for this game across all platforms... god damn!

Why would the game be any less than full price? It's a pretty long game from what I remember, at least 20 hours for the main campaign. That stretches out even farther if you're the type that likes to track down all the collectibles.

Damn. To be fair, I don't quite recall the last AAA western third-party game I played, so that may be why I thought it was quite big. I stand corrected then, haha.

Well, Halo was a content update, not a patch. My bad.

I've had some day one downloads that are about a GB or 2 like NieR: Automata recently. Zelda had a mandatory download of 3 GB on Wii U in order to play the game at launch. So, about 500 MB isn't that big for me. Those previous ones aren't that big to me either considering game sizes. It's especially different to the 13 GBs that the cover said that was misprinted for this game. This is really true with Switch's limited internal storage.

It's a port of a 4-year-old game. Co-op is a great alteration, but not enough to justify a tripling in price over the previous version.
Well.. the game was only available on the Wii U. Is a new game for Sony, Microsoft and PC. Also.. totally worth the price, is one of the best Lego games.

Jeffrey

$60 on switch is.... Well kinda expected out of launch window game.

$60 on other consoles I'm generally fine with. Maybe it just feels less bs when it's on a console that the og version isn't related too?

Were people mad about gta5 and tlou being full priced on ps4? Was tlou full price?

tebunker

Banned
I wish this was $20
I don't really feel like buying this again for the same price I paid on Wii U

tempted though
Hey I bought it twice on WiiU first @$50, remember it wasn't a full $60 at launch, then sold it for $35 once the wife beat it, and then I bought it again for like $25 a couple months before they announced the Nintendo Selects version. So $50+$25-$35= $40 or so spent on it.

And I really would double dip but $60 is pricey for a port that will be $30 before you know it.

Why would the game be any less than full price? It's a pretty long game from what I remember, at least 20 hours for the main campaign. That stretches out even farther if you're the type that likes to track down all the collectibles.

The reasoning is the game is 4 years old and goes for $20 brand new on the Wii U. So it's a little weird that they're charging $60 for it 4 years later, a price that's actually $10 more than it was when it launched, despite the fact that it's hella old and they didn't really add or optimize much.

It'd be like if Sony sold Uncharted for $50 when the PS3 came out, and then years later when the PS4 launched they ported (not even remastered, just ported) Uncharted to the PS4 and then charged $60 for it. I don't expect them to sell it for $20 but asking more than the original MSRP four years later for a straight port is, well, hard to swallow for some. Understandably, IMO.

Vitacat

The reasoning is the game is 4 years old and goes for $20 brand new on the Wii U. So it's a little weird that they're charging $60 for it 4 years later, a price that's actually $10 more than it was when it launched, despite the fact that it's hella old and they didn't really add or optimize much.

It'd be like if Sony sold Uncharted for $50 when the PS3 came out, and then years later when the PS4 launched they ported (not even remastered, just ported) Uncharted to the PS4 and then charged $60 for it. I don't expect them to sell it for $20 but asking more than the original MSRP four years later for a straight port is, well, hard to swallow for some. Understandably, IMO.

They should have added some new content. I'm still looking forward to it, though, since I never actually owned the WiiU version.

Zedark

Damn. To be fair, I don't quite recall the last AAA western third-party game I played, so that may be why I thought it was quite big. I stand corrected then, haha.

Yeah, there is a reason why people were worried about Switch' internal memory even with games stored on cards instead of on the internal storage ;)

Get this on Switch when the price drops and try to convince my gf to get it too and play in local coop, being able to play in both my and her home. Full screen for each player, but 30 FPS

or

Get it on PC and play splitscreen with her, only on my home, no "full screen for each player options", but 60 FPS

Zefdm61.gif

Local Switch coop isn't system link, you can't get your own screen for local coop.

Glix

$60 on switch is.... Well kinda expected out of launch window game.

$60 on other consoles I'm generally fine with. Maybe it just feels less bs when it's on a console that the og version isn't related too?

Were people mad about gta5 and tlou being full priced on ps4? Was tlou full price?

In fairness, and coincidentally the game also came out today, but people were NOT okay with Bulletstorm being full price when it was announced.

They should have added some new content. I'm still looking forward to it, though, since I never actually owned the WiiU version.

Usually it feels like games go two ways:

1) Game is released, DLC happens

2a) A year later, "Complete Edition" is released. Standard game's price is dropped, new game, including all DLC, replaces it at original MSRP, sometimes even slightly less.

2b) Years later a remaster happens. All DLC included, plus optimizations, maybe gameplay tweaks, nicer graphics etc. Remaster is original MSRP, again sometimes even less than original MSRP!

But I can't think of a time where a game came out, sold for X price, then years later was ported to another platform (with little to no additions) with a higher price tag. It's probably happened, sure, I just can't think of any.

I mean there are even some cases on PC where a remaster will come out and you'll either get a discount for owning the original or it'll be a free upgrade (Bioshock) but again, not familiar with a publisher actually charging MORE than the original MSRP for a port.

Glix

My pot addled brain may just be faulty but the game seems much busier than the WIIU version. In addition to more cars and pedestrians, it seems like there are more people in the police station just milling around, etc.

tebunker

Banned

And you are kind of the grouo they are banking on buying it in the first couple of weeks.

This game will be sub $30 in a month. It was always meant to be a $30 port, a lot of ports are, but it makes sense monetarily to charge the full $60 at first to get as much as you can from folks unwilling to wait for the corrected price.

Vitacat

And you are kind of the grouo they are banking on buying it in the first couple of weeks.

This game will be sub $30 in a month. It was always meant to be a $30 port, a lot of ports are, but it makes sense monetarily to charge the full $60 at first to get as much as you can from folks unwilling to wait for the corrected price.

Well, except I'm only paying $36 for the Switch cart.

Every lego game on PS4 is eventually 5 dollars on PSN.

Same with Steam!

I think the only Lego game I've ever paid full price for was Lego Batman 3, because I really wanted the Plastic Man minifig preorder bonus. MAYBE Lego City Undercover when it came out on Wii U, can't remember when I got it actually but I didn't get the Chase McCain figure so it wasn't at launch. Every other Lego game I've gotten on crazy discount - even Dimensions *cackles*

Same with Steam!

I think the only Lego game I've ever paid full price for was Lego Batman 3, because I really wanted the Plastic Man minifig preorder bonus. MAYBE Lego City Undercover when it came out on Wii U, can't remember when I got it actually but I didn't get the Chase McCain figure so it wasn't at launch. Every other Lego game I've gotten on crazy discount - even Dimensions *cackles*
Xbox as well.

You probably paid full-price for Lego City unless you got lucky. It never had an official price cut until it was reprinted as a Nintendo Selects title, and I don't think it had many sales. Especially since it got pretty rare after a while.

BluWacky

Hmmm. Just bought this on Steam.

Although I can access the graphics options menu, I can't actually change any of them. You can toggle options to different resolutions etc. (I'm not talking all your fancy graphics options that mean nothing to me), but you can't move the cursor down to highlight the "Accept" button - nor the "restore defaults" one - so you can't actually change anything.

How bizarre! Maybe it's different in game rather than on the main menu...

arimanius

Who did?

The poster a few posts up just said there is a patch in Europe.

Glix said there was no patch when he tried to manual update. Looks like maybe he had the game before the update was ready to be downloaded.

He said there's no 13 GB patch. We've known for a while now thanks to IGN and WB that there IS a patch, but we have not known the size of it or its contents.

No he didn't he said there was no patch period when he tried to manually update. Now it looks like he may have gotten the game before that patch was ready to download maybe.

I tried to manually update, and there was no update at all, so I'm not sure what the 13gb and the "internet required" on the box are really about.

Jeffrey

Hmmm. Just bought this on Steam.

Although I can access the graphics options menu, I can't actually change any of them. You can toggle options to different resolutions etc. (I'm not talking all your fancy graphics options that mean nothing to me), but you can't move the cursor down to highlight the "Accept" button - nor the "restore defaults" one - so you can't actually change anything.

How bizarre! Maybe it's different in game rather than on the main menu...

Have you try using keyboard or mouse or gamepad?

BluWacky

Have you try using keyboard or mouse or gamepad?

Yup, and none of those options worked - they simply weren't selectable.

I think it's deliberate, because they haven't disabled those options in-game. However, if you do change the graphics settings, then it crashes...

(I'm on an Nvidia graphics card (980? I think?) and have never had any issues with any of the other Lego games)

Ah well, it's not like I don't have other games to play at the moment; maybe there'll be a patch at some point.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Got the game on Switch, captured a bit of docked gameplay, I can confirm it's in 1080p, some drops in the open world but did not notice something dramatic.

I tried a bit of portable mode, seems a bit less stable, but 720p.

I'm encoding some videos for Gamersyde (docked obviously), I might do a short framerate one.

EDIT: BTW, it's a digital one, 8.7GB including 450MB of patch, it got at least English and French voices, I did not notice some heavy audio compression.

EDarkness

Got the game on Switch, captured a bit of docked gameplay, I can confirm it's in 1080p, some drops in the open world but did not notice something dramatic.

I'm encoding some videos for Gamersyde (docked obviously), I might do a short framerate one.

Getting my game tomorrow. Can't wait to play it again. Thanks for the information.

Seik

Banned

Wow, so it's in 1080p after all.

Where did that 720p docked info from a couple of days ago came from?

Plot thickens.

Xbox as well.

You probably paid full-price for Lego City unless you got lucky. It never had an official price cut until it was reprinted as a Nintendo Selects title, and I don't think it had many sales. Especially since it got pretty rare after a while.
I wonder if I can find it somewhere in my Amazon/Best Buy purchase history. I probably did pay full price for it but I feel like I might have gotten some kind of discount on it from BestBuy somehow? Maybe it was just Best Buy Rewards Bux, but even then still under MSRP :D

No he didn't he said there was no patch period when he tried to manually update. Now it looks like he may have gotten the game before that patch was ready to download maybe.
Oh sorry I may have been confused as to who/what you were referring to about the patch. Since IGN got their statement from WB we've known there was a patch, just not the what/when/why of it, so that's what I was talking about. Sorry for the confusion!

EDIT: BTW, it's a digital one, 8.7GB including 450MB of patch, it got at least English and French voices, I did not notice some heavy audio compression.
Thanks for the info.

Glix

Glix said there was no patch when he tried to manual update. Looks like maybe he had the game before the update was ready to be downloaded.

Lol you realize I'm Glix, right!

I thought you meant that some guy from TT or WB said there was no patch.

Plot thickens.

Screenshots in this thread (the switch ps4p comparison ones) look very clean, so I'm not surprised.

The AA looked better in the Switch screenshot (although obviously there are other issues here like lack of DOF effect / distance haze and presumably the PS4P isn't exhibiting the frame drops the Switch version does).

I'm picking up the Switch version in a couple of hours, so I'll see for myself soon enough.

Yes I already played this and am now paying $10 more to play it again on the Switch, but whatever.

Who else here played this on Wii U and 3DS? Just me then?

Okay.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Okay.

Nah, I'm that crazy person who has both the Wii U and 3DS versions.

I think I'm gonna wait for a price drop on this one though. If they had added some content in I would have gladly bought it at full price but when it's practically the same game I already own I'm good with waiting it out.

Glix

Screenshots in this thread (the switch ps4p comparison ones) look very clean, so I'm not surprised.

The AA looked better in the Switch screenshot (although obviously there are other issues here like lack of DOF effect / distance haze and presumably the PS4P isn't exhibiting the frame drops the Switch version does).

I'm picking up the Switch version in a couple of hours, so I'll see for myself soon enough.

Yes I already played this and am now paying $10 more to play it again on the Switch, but whatever.

Okay.

I played it on both! But didn't beat it on either, hence the triple dip.

Top Bottom