• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego City Undercover Switch cover mentions 13GB download [Up3: Full game on card]

Get this on Switch when the price drops and try to convince my gf to get it too and play in local coop, being able to play in both my and her home. Full screen for each player, but 30 FPS

or

Get it on PC and play splitscreen with her, only on my home, no "full screen for each player options", but 60 FPS

Zefdm61.gif

the struggle is real

So no 13gb update?

So now that the game is actually out, do we know what came of this?

We know there IS a patch but

1) how big is it?

2) what is in it?

Sorry if this has been discussed, went back several pages but didn't see anything.

Really glad that it's apparently all on the cart, that means I'll actually buy it once the price drops down a bit and I'm not trying to move and pay taxes at the same time >__<

Glix

Okay, thanks. How does it run in portable mode? The off-screen footage from Nintendo World Report made it look a bit rough, though that could have been the camera.

Seems like its 30 with drops. Its not awful or anything but if you spin the camera around while you are running, its gets framey.

Game looks great tho, huge draw distance and tons of other cars/pedestrians running around.

Some crappy stuff left over from the old version. Behind the gas station there is a red bush made up of two 2d assets that looks janky as fuck.

Got a download code for review, game runs really well docked on internal storage - looks like 1080 to me. Far less aliasing, looks colourful and clean.

Load times are really short, will time in a sec.

Game data is 479 MB, which I assume is 99% patch if anyone is curious. Game is definitely much higher res than the Wii U version, assuming 1080P. Frame rate looks the same as that version to me, which is 30(ish) FPS but somebody would have to throw a frame counter on it to compare.

DoF is less aggressive but still there.

Canadian packaging with all the French nonsense also says up to 13gb required for game download, packaging is completely different, so their "mistake" was not limited to one region.

Paid $27 for it from Amazon with release day delivery, thanks Amazon.

Zedark

1) how big is it?

2) what is in it?

Sorry if this has been discussed, went back several pages but didn't see anything.

Really glad that it's apparently all on the cart, that means I'll actually buy it once the price drops down a bit and I'm not trying to move and pay taxes at the same time >__<

There is indeed a patch, but it is a regular day one patch with performance optimisations and minor tweaks to menus and other things. I found one source that says it is 481 MB rather than 13 GB. I got this from this source (a Dutch one): http://www.dailynintendo.nl/2017/04...eeft-wel-day-one-patch-maar-die-is-geen-13gb/

They have downloaded the game patch and reported on their findings.

arimanius

1) how big is it?

2) what is in it?

I tried to manually update, and there was no update at all, so I'm not sure what the 13gb and the "internet required" on the box are really about..

He said there's no patch.

styl3s

I wish this was $20
I don't really feel like buying this again for the same price I paid on Wii U

tempted though
I plan on just picking it up in summer when BB has it has for $15-20 w/ GCU or black friday. Disappointed with the load times but i can live with that but i can't live with spending $60 (or $47.99+tax) on it on any platform period.

The DOF stuff i actually prefer to not have it there the blur always distracts me and 30fps is fine with me.

Got a download code for review, game runs really well docked on internal storage - looks like 1080 to me. Far less aliasing, looks colourful and clean.

wait I thought people commented there were bad load times?

switch version would be cool

Glix

He said there's no patch.

Who did?

The poster a few posts up just said there is a patch in Europe.

wait I thought people commented there were bad load times?

I think the load times are being judged against the WIIU 17 hour load times, so it seems good even if its long.

Also, as has been noted in other threads, and I saw myself with Snake Pass, there is a pretty big difference in load times from system memory and from SD.

NMFried

Started the game a bit ago. It's fun, definitely offers more than most LEGO games, but I'm def gonna need the Star Wars Complete Saga on Switch.

Aonuma

Waiting to see if the supposed patch/update WB mentioned will do anything for loading times. If not, that'd be a disappointment but not a deal breaker. This was one of the Wii U's hidden gems, will very likely double dip at some point down the road.

I installed the day one patch and it didn't seem to affect load times at all. My load times on average were a couple seconds faster than were measured in this video even before the patch, and they are indeed better than on the Wii U, but are still far longer than they should be.

Peterthumpa

Yeah 1080p minimum for PS4 Pro.

Is this seriously $60 on the PSN store?

Why not? It's a full fledged Lego game, in fact, considered by many one of the best in the series, that never came out to Playstation platforms before. Is the question just because this is a 3-year old game? The Wii U wasn't a phenomenon in sales, you know.

Ridley327

Well now, this is interesting. I wonder if this has anything to do with the patch they talked about.

Richie

I installed the day one patch and it didn't seem to affect load times at all. My load times on average were a couple seconds faster than were measured in this video even before the patch, and they are indeed better than on the Wii U, but are still far longer than they should be.

Thanks for your impressions good friend (a big fan of your latest game btw :p). Time to see how other aspects hold up, so far it seems to be the Wii U game but prettier. Which, yeah, would be enough to entice me to check anew (sold my copy years ago, the shame).

Zedark

500MB is hella lot for a day one patch. I wonder what it changes, load times ?

Really? On PS4, having a day one patch of 500 MB or less is a veritable achievement. Plenty are around 5 GB or even more.
Is a full game.. what you expected?
It's "just" a remaster, though, right? Expected it to be &#8364;40 myself, &#8364;60 seems pushing it considering the upgrades aren't that impressive.

Lol are they seriously gonna charge full price for this game across all platforms... god damn!
It'll tank in price by the end of the year though, so there's that.

Really though, never pay full price for a Lego game. They hold their price worse than any other major IP out there and often have crazy low sale prices.

500MB is hella lot for a day one patch. I wonder what it changes, load times ?

I'm pretty sure I've seen bigger day one patches and downloads. 500 MB isn't much.

DOOM had like a 5-6 GB patch on it day one if I remember correctly. The patches only got bigger afterward.

Halo: Master Chief Collection had a day one patch of like 15-20 GB if I remember that right too. Edit: The 15 GB was a content update for the multiplayer since they used up the disk.

holygeesus

Banned
Why not? It's a full fledged Lego game, in fact, considered by many one of the best in the series, that never came out to Playstation platforms before. Is the question just because this is a 3-year old game? The Wii U wasn't a phenomenon in sales, you know.

It's a full fledged game, but I can get fully fledged games for less than a tenner. More recent games than that, and original titles that are not multi-platform. There can't have been a great deal of effort put into these ports surely?

shiyrley

Banned
Guys when can we expect the price to drop? What's the precedent with WB and/or Lego games?
EDIT: remember the Wii U game was distributed by Nintendo so that doesn't count

Vitacat

Lol are they seriously gonna charge full price for this game across all platforms... god damn!

It's a really good game, and possibly the best Lego game ever made. I've played a few hours of the WiiU version and it was fun as all get out. It's a good thing that it's now available on multiple platforms. Price is high perhaps, but this is probably a better game than many other games at the same price. And if the price is a problem, then wait for sales.

I snagged the Switch version for $36 via Bestbuy GCU and Visa Checkout. Look forward to picking up my copy later.

Plum

Guys when can we expect the price to drop? What's the precedent with WB and/or Lego games?

PS4, X1 and PC? By Fall it'll most likely be in the $20-$30 range, especially if you're fine getting it used.
Switch? No clue, no precedent's been set and the cart prices may get in the way of major price drops. Wait

Gamezone

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure I've seen bigger day one patches and downloads. 500 MB isn't much.

DOOM had like a 5-6 GB patch on it day one if I remember correctly. The patches only got bigger afterward.

Halo: Master Chief Collection had a day one patch of like 20 GB if I remember that right too.

It wasn`t a patch, but the entire multiplayer content.

shiyrley

Banned
I wouldn't say no chance. Possible with a sale. Being a delayed port of a 4-year-old game makes it somewhat unique though. I imagine it will sell less than say, Lego Force Awakens, so it may drop faster.
Welp, I'll probably get it when I can get the Switch version for 30€ (I don't mind second hand), whenever that is.

LordKano

Actually... 500MB is rather small for today standards.

That's actually pretty small lol.

actually no

Really? On PS4, having a day one patch of 500 MB or less is a veritable achievement. Plenty are around 5 GB or even more.

It's "just" a remaster, though, right? Expected it to be €40 myself, €60 seems pushing it considering the upgrades aren't that impressive.

Don't run Doom. You'll get a heart attack.

Halo: Master Chief Collection had a day one patch of like 20 GB if I remember that right too.

Damn. To be fair, I don't quite recall the last AAA western third-party game I played, so that may be why I thought it was quite big. I stand corrected then, haha.

Top Bottom