• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Dimensions |OT| Not Lost Dimensions

JoeM86

Just wish I could bring in a second Doctor for some awesome multi-Doctor screenshots :p

A question, though. What's the level on the level circle that is after "The Final Dimension?"

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
I just got copy of the PS4 version and I already want to go out and buy the Portal 2 pack.

...I've made a huge mistake.

Same here, I purchased the game in Amazon.de and the Portal 2 adventure pack the next day in Gamestop (never again). Really amazing, I was a bit tired of the Lego gameplay but it iterates just enough to feel new.

A question, though. What's the level on the level circle that is after "The Final Dimension?"

The bonus level. It's the gold portal in the hub section to the right.

A gold brick is available each time you unlock a new Hub area to play in. You've just got to go into the bonus level, fight three rounds, and then you get a gold brick.

Stanng243

Can anyone help me with the Doctor Who add on level? I can't get past the hacking part. Some of the floor just isn't there.

So I know this was probably discussed already but I can't find a good consolidation of a topic for this. Simple question:

Why do you enjoy Lego Dimensions more than Disney Infinity and/or Skylanders?

Pros and Cons for Lego Dimensions would be helpful...I'm trying to decide whether or not I should get Lego Dimensions. A little background about myself:

1. I played Disney Infinity 1.0. I didn't like it much because it was too limited. You can't mix and match characters in playsets.
2. I have not played Skylanders since it came out.

I've stopped with the "toys to life" games after Disney Infinity 1.0.

timewyrm

So I know this was probably discussed already but I can't find a good consolidation of a topic for this. Simple question:

I don't know about more, but the only reason I bought Lego Dimensions was Doctor Who.

JonnyKong

I haven't played the game yet so I can't answer your question, but I'm interested in playing Lego because I like the idea of all the franchises mixing together, and I never really played with or collected Lego in my youth so I want to make up for lost time.

I've played Skylanders cos I heard it was meant to be a good game, and it was. I enjoyed the novelty of buying different figures and vehicles for it. I've passed them on down to my nephew now.

mantis23

Do we know if the actual base is platform specific? I have the Wii U version of the game but I have an opportunity to pick up the PS4 disc for a decent price. I'd do it if I knew I could use the same portal.

I like it more than Disney Infinity because it lets you mix-and-match characters. You can use any character in any world, unlike the straightjackets Disney makes you wear.

I like it more than Skylanders because the toys are actual toys. I'm a Lego fan, so having actual Lego I can use separately instead of just having a bunch of figures appeals to me.

If I had to only have two of the three, I'd pick Lego Dimensions and Skylanders.

If I could only have one of the three, I'd have to think about it. Skylanders gives me a new game each year, whereas we don't know what the content plans are for Lego Dimensions.

I like it more than Disney Infinity because it lets you mix-and-match characters. You can use any character in any world, unlike the straightjackets Disney makes you wear.

I like it more than Skylanders because the toys are actual toys. I'm a Lego fan, so having actual Lego I can use separately instead of just having a bunch of figures appeals to me.

If I had to only have two of the three, I'd pick Lego Dimensions and Skylanders.

If I could only have one of the three, I'd have to think about it. Skylanders gives me a new game each year, whereas we don't know what the content plans are for Lego Dimensions.

Thanks a lot. I'll see if I can hear more feedback as well. I'm leaning towards Lego Dimensions but it's pretty expensive.

JonnyKong

The supposed three year plan does intrigue me.

I can only assume that means new level packs, and possibly new franchises, I wonder what else they'll bring in. Can anybody think what films TV shows they have the rights to they could still use?

I don't know about more, but the only reason I bought Lego Dimensions was Doctor Who.

I've been a big Skylanders fan since the first game, but this year I just can't get into Superchargers. Even my 6 year old son whom I play these with hasn't even asked to play this. I'm not sure if its franchise fatigue or the way some of the game is setup, not too sure. To me it feels like its lacking something. The DI games, I've played them all and I always end up not feeling satisfied by the end with this franchise.

I still have not tried Lego Dimensions, but I am tempted to as it looks like the more fun game plus the licenses that Lego has is huge IMO.

CorwinB

Pros and Cons for Lego Dimensions would be helpful...I'm trying to decide whether or not I should get Lego Dimensions. A little background about myself:

1. I played Disney Infinity 1.0. I didn't like it much because it was too limited. You can't mix and match characters in playsets.
2. I have not played Skylanders since it came out.

I've stopped with the "toys to life" games after Disney Infinity 1.0.

I played the first two iterations of Skylanders (was on 3DS, and the game is a lot different) and no Disney Infinity, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I like Lego Dimensions for several reasons.

First, it's a Lego game, and I like those a lot (especially for the humor and the various puzzles). The variety of worlds in Dimensions, and how you can mix characters from different universes is for me a big part of the appeal (driving the Batmobile with Gandalf on the Yellow Brick Road was an incredible moment early in the game, and it only gets better from there).

Second, I like how the game uses the portal as a tool for many puzzles, unlike Skylanders in which it is only used to load a character (this may have changed with later Skylanders releases, I don't know). I suspect this is a love it or hate it feature, though, and I can definitely see how someone could find it "gimmicky" and list it as a negative.

And last, I love the Legos. The models are pretty well done, and it's nice that each vehicle has 3 different modes (I would have loved having the building instructions outside of the game, though).

The only negative point I have with the game is how expensive (and space-consuming !) it will be to get 100%. In the first Skylander, having a creature of each element was enough to 100% the game. In Lego, there are a lot of different abilities and several zones and abilities being exclusive to a single model (which then becomes a mandatory purchase).

JonnyKong

That's a very good point about the space consuming part. I've no idea where I'm going to put all my Lego once I start buying it.

Wow, great point. How much space does it take for the Lego Portal device compared to the original Skylanders portal? Disney's wasn't that big, which was nice.

A big draw for me with Lego Dimensions is Scooby Doo and Simpsons. Those look awesome from the Youtube videos.

Hobbun

This is not a question dealing directly with LEGO Dimensions, but it is one dealing with LEGO video games.

I am playing LEGO Lord of the Rings and what do the save statues do for you? I don't have an option load my game up at the statue, it always loads at Minas Tirith. So what do the save statues do for you? And it's not like you can even die and have to reload at a last save.

Sorry this is not related to Dimensions, but wasn't sure where to ask this at.

This is not a question dealing directly with LEGO Dimensions, but it is one dealing with LEGO video games.

I am playing LEGO Lord of the Rings and what do the save statues do for you? I don't have an option load my game up at the statue, it always loads at Minas Tirith. So what do the save statues do for you? And it's not like you can even die and have to reload at a last save.

Sorry this is not related to Dimensions, but wasn't sure where to ask this at.

They just reveal stuff on the map from what I recall, plus once you find one you can fast travel to it.

zigg

Am I going to regret getting just the starter pack for my wife for Christmas?

She's a big fan of LEGO games—she usually beats them, then comes back later and slowly works on completing them—but she was kinda down on the $$$ investment needed to get value out of this one. After I bought it, of course.

No, not the location statues in each area on the world map, I meant the save statues located in the levels.

If you quit the level part way through you should restart at that save statue. Weird that you start in the overworld though...maybe you have to return to that level marker and then you can restart the level midway through?

Hobbun

If you quit the level part way through you should restart at that save statue. Weird that you start in the overworld though...maybe you have to return to that level marker and then you can restart the level midway through?

Will need to test it again, but I don't remember ever restarting at the save statue if I quit the level (and I saved at the statue).

CorwinB

Wow, great point. How much space does it take for the Lego Portal device compared to the original Skylanders portal? Disney's wasn't that big, which was nice.

A big draw for me with Lego Dimensions is Scooby Doo and Simpsons. Those look awesome from the Youtube videos.

The Portal base is 20cm x 15cm. When built it's 15 cm tall, but you can remove the tall portion to store it separately. It's a lot bigger than the Skylanders portal, but it's justified by its use in game.

The really space-consuming part is how to store all the minis. I've been using the plastic storage boxes I use for other miniature games, and I've already one box and a half filled... And I don't even have the full wave 1 and 2.

If space is really a concern, and you really want to get 100% completion, I suspect the game is not for you. If you are fine with leaving some stuff unfinished or have enough space for storage, then you are in for a treat.

The Portal base is 20cm x 15cm. When built it's 15 cm tall, but you can remove the tall portion to store it separately. It's a lot bigger than the Skylanders portal, but it's justified by its use in game.

The really space-consuming part is how to store all the minis. I've been using the plastic storage boxes I use for other miniature games, and I've already one box and a half filled... And I don't even have the full wave 1 and 2.

If space is really a concern, and you really want to get 100% completion, I suspect the game is not for you. If you are fine with leaving some stuff unfinished or have enough space for storage, then you are in for a treat.

I got the game last night for PS4 for my family. I hope we will enjoy it. I think I'm fine without everyone. Simpsons and Scooby Doo tipped the scales. Thank you for the help!

Craft

Emmet is also £5, grabbed Bad Cop as I already had the other 2, but crazy price drop regardless...
Yeah, must have just came back into stock after I posted, grabbed Bad Cop and Emmet.

I've got a feeling that the LOTR & DC packs will have a similar price drop at some point soon too. They all must be a hard sell as their hub worlds are already unlocked with the base game.

JoeM86

Ooh, I'll have to keep an eye on that. There are some packs I'd like but can't justify, but if I can get them for that cheap, I'm in.

I already asked this but am still not sure,

Is co-op a thing at all in this game or is better to play this one in SP? Are there multiple save spots or do you have to change accounts if you got more than 1 person playing this?

webrunner

I already asked this but am still not sure,

Is co-op a thing at all in this game or is better to play this one in SP? Are there multiple save spots or do you have to change accounts if you got more than 1 person playing this?

2 player local co-op with dynamic split screen (or off-screen on wii u)
4 save spots but you can just go to old levels or whatever whenever you want.

Ponn

Banned
These hub worlds are no joke. Just when I thought there was so much to do and see in Wizard of Oz I suddenly find out you can go to freaking Kansas. The wicked witch is so good too, she is like Gandalf on steroids. I barely have him on the portal anymore since I got her.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeah the Witch is an excellent character to pick up. Not only is it the only way to get into the Kansas hub world, but she has a nice ability selection.

Craft

Anybody after a cheap Scooby Doo team pack? I picked one up the other day from Amazon and got another one for my birthday. Just looking to get back what I paid for it so £16 inc delivery.

mantis23

Do we know if the actual base is platform specific? I have the Wii U version of the game but I have an opportunity to pick up the PS4 disc for a decent price. I'd do it if I knew I could use the same portal.

On the off chance this question comes up again, I can confirm the Wii U portal works on the PS4 with that version of the game.

What about if you play with 2 different accounts? Well on one system i mean, do you need to buy the different packs etc. multiple times or does it somehow "tie" to just the system?

Rootbeer

Banned
So i somehow managed to lose my batman minifigure (still have the base). What's the best way to replace it?

By finding it. :) Seriously just where could it have gone. Search your place high and low man!

if I lost any of my LEGO i would lose my mind.

Puggles

By finding it. :) Seriously just where could it have gone. Search your place high and low man!

if I lost any of my LEGO i would lose my mind.

I searched everywhere for probably 10 hours over this weekend...it's gone. It must have fallen into something I threw away. :(

Craft

I searched everywhere for probably 10 hours over this weekend...it's gone. It must have fallen into something I threw away. :(

I've compared the Homer & Nya to other figures I had and they were the same (not 100% sure on the head thinking about it now) so I imagine that Batman will be fairly standard too, so worst case you can just buy a cheap set or just get one off of Ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGO-Batm...892739?hash=item2a5acb3303:g:5swAAOSwYHxWK5FA

People appear to just be selling the dimensions figures without the bases too.

I picked this up after a few trade-ins this past weekend. I've played DI3.0 and Sky Superchargers this year, to me Lego D is far and away the better game out of the three. It feels more refined and not as boring as the other two. I think Skylanders has totally lost its way with what they did this year. I've always bought all the games in the series and enjoyed them a lot, but this year its just off IMO. Lego D feels so refreshing even after playing almost all of the Lego games released to this point. The comedy and mixture of characters really adds that special little touch.

Which is better, the Scooby or Simpsons level pack?

Top Bottom