• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #5- MIXELS A GO-GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest

Idea: To face off in a hardened custom creation battle where the winner takes all and everyone else gets a pat on the back.

Aim: Having fun and improving our brick building skills on the way.

Rules: One cheapish set (that is still readily available. In this case, anywhere from 2-3 sets) is chosen to give everyone a level playing field. From the parts contained in whichever sets you choose (including the spares that come with the box) a custom creation is to be built, no further theme or model limitations are placed. The custom model should however be of your own design and not blatantly copied from somewhere else, getting inspiration and ideas is of course permissible. Using parts not contained in the chosen set is not allowed.

explore_top_861x326.jpg

LEGO Mixels

What are Mixels

LEGO® Mixels are funny, creative creatures made up of the basic building blocks of LEGO matter: Fire, Rock, Electricity and more. The Mixels live in tribes spread across a vast world and love to mix and combine. By using the special cubits they will be able to mix into new characters with hilarious and surprising results. NIXELS are swarming, colorless creatures of deconstruction. Nixels tear apart everything in their path – including the mixed up Mixels.

Where do I get them? How much do they cost!?

Mixels are available at LEGO.com, and most retail stores that carry LEGO products.
Mixels are $4.99 US MSRP per set.

The Contest
To create your very own Mixel MAX or Mixel MIX.

Mixel MAX!
Combine all three characters of each tribe and they become a MAX – a giant mega-Mixel who has all their powers combined!
electroids_max.jpg

cragsters_max.jpg

infernites_max.jpg

Take all three Mixels from a tribe and combine them to make a MAX Mixel!

Mixel MIX
Combine two Mixels and get twice the power. The one Mixel will be the dominant character, while the other Mixel will give it extra powers to solve a particular problem.
zorch_volectro_mix.jpg

mixels_web_crop_41502_zorch_41505_shuff_combo_mix.jpg

Take any two Mixels from different tribes and combine them to create your own Mixel MIX.

The Rules
Entrants can create their very own Mixel MAX or Mixel MIX.
The Mixel MAX can be any creation a GAFfer creates from mixing all three sets from a tribe together. A Mixel MIX can be any creation a GAFfer creates from mixing any two Mixels together (these can be both from the same tribe, or you can mix tribes for the Mix. But only two sets are allowed for Mixes).
Also, only one entry per GAFfer, so make sure the model you submit is the one you want to be be used for the contest.

Go get some Mixels and get creating. When you make your creation, post up to three pictures of your Mixel creation. You must also put which Mixels you used to create your MOC. Remember, if you can mix any two Mixels together for your creation, but if you mix three they must be all from the same tribe.

Deadlines
Entries must be posted in this thread by 11:59pm EST on May 17th. That gives three weeks to cobble your creation together. Plenty of time to secure sets and get creating.

Timeframe:
Start Date: 04/20/2014
End Date: 05/17/2014 11:59PM EST​

Submission:
To ensure I don't miss an entry you can always drop me a PM with a link, also if you are unhappy with my choice of name for your model, don't hesitate to give me the official name of your creation.

Face-off: The winner is then chosen by popular vote. For one week after the OT has been updated with the finalised entries and the voting round is officially opened by the OP voting can commence.
Every voter has exactly 6 votes:
- one worth 3 points
- two worth 2 points
- three worth 1 point
You give your favourite Model 3 points the two runners up 2 points each and have another 3 points to distribute amongst the other entries.
By what measure you rate the entries is entirely up to you.

Previous Contest:
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #1
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #2
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #3
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #4

Prize Pool:
Do you want prizes this time? I am willing to chip in for something small if others are as well. The last contest didn’t have prizes, but we can this time if people want them.

Past Generous and Glorious Donors:
UParjGb.jpg
FliXFantatier (3)
2x8vCjO.jpg
ghostmind
xVOpcGs.jpg
MisterNoisy (2)
yWydJFD.gif
nny
xVOpcGs.jpg
PhoncipleBone (2)
xVOpcGs.jpg
R-User!
rqyu4gu.jpg
RichardAM
xVOpcGs.jpg
whatsinaname

Many parts of this OP are shamelessly stolen by the wonderful FliXFantatier, who put together all the previous Custom Model Contests.

Join the fun at LEGO GAF. Everything is awesome.

I'll have to stay out of this one, as no stores around me seem to carry Mixels, but I can't wait to see what the great LEGO-GAF members come up with!

AMUSIX

Hmmm, after seeing the last contest, my wife was really excited to enter the next one, but I'm not sure if the Mixels theme will go over well. Personally, they don't excite too much, and feel a bit confining, compared to the 'make anything you can come up with' style of previous contests.

That said, I'll definitely run it past her, and, if she's in, I'll also give it a go. Regardless, I'm always happy to see what people come up with.

Ironmask

This time i'm in. Honestly i've already built my moc for the eurobrick contest but didn't make it in time. I'll use the three weeks to improve the model.

Also i propose to have two 'winners' this time. Since a maxi mixel is a different building approach than a mix of two tribes

theaface

Ok, here goes my entry. I made him this morning once I saw the competition go live.

I call him ROCKODILE. Obviously he's a Mixel MAX made from the 3 rock-type mixels, although there were a fair few parts left over.

He has movable front and back legs (with adjustable claws on the front legs), a double-jointed tail and my favourite/main part which was the inspriation for the design - opening and closing upper/lower jaws.

This is my first ever MOC, so I'm pretty pleased with the result. :D

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Great contest idea- the Mixels sets basically scream out for fun building like this!

I'll try and get an entry in, but at the very least I will be donating a prize once I find something.

Ok, here goes my entry. I made him this morning once I saw the competition go live.

I call him ROCKODILE. Obviously he's a Mixel MAX made from the 3 rock-type mixels, although there were a fair few parts left over.

He has movable front and back legs (with adjustable claws on the front legs), a double-jointed tail and my favourite/main part which was the inspriation for the design - opening and closing upper/lower jaws.

Fantastic work. And love the name as well. This is off to a very, very good start. Thank you.

Oh snap, totally getting this tomorrow. I'm a grown ass man and I'll be playing with legos while watching the season 6 premire of Adventure Time, can't wait!

Will try and hunt down some mixels have yet to see any in stores though.

Good job on the OT phonce. :) Been kinda busy and out of LEGO love lately.

I think I am going to like the contest. The eyes make everything look cute.

I like the movable jaw on it. I can imagine me having it eat my minifigures...

My entry made from the three Fire Mixels. It's a firey samurai dude with posable arms and legs.

Will update the pictures as soon as I get my hands on a non-terrible camera.
The first thing I thought of when I saw this was Bane. He looks like he's laughing maniacally in the first pic. lol

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Throwing in some prizes. A random MISB Police minifig builder set (with dog!) and a blindbag CMF Wave 1. I'll ship em anywhere for whoever wins or chooses it as a prize - should be pretty light.

mrkgoo

So the definitions of a max mixel and a mix mixel are defined...

I assume this means you can't use the extra pieces or pieces given to build the nixels?

And do maxes and mixes have to use ALL the pieces? Or at least most of them?

So the definitions of a max mixel and a mix mixel are defined...

I assume this means you can't use the extra pieces or pieces given to build the nixels?

And do maxes and mixes have to use ALL the pieces? Or at least most of them?
If the Nixel pieces are in the bag with the set, they are fair game to use.

mrkgoo

If the Nixel pieces are in the bag with the set, they are fair game to use.
What about the official definition of a max mixel?

Extra pieces?

Is there a minimum you have to use to be able to call it a mixel max? I mean, obviously if I just rearrange one mixel you can't call it a max - it has to incorporate all three - but by how much?

What about the official definition of a max mixel?

Extra pieces?

Is there a minimum you have to use to be able to call it a mixel max? I mean, obviously if I just rearrange one mixel you can't call it a max - it has to incorporate all three - but by how much?
Think of a max being able to use all the pieces from three, but not always having to use every piece. The examples in the op are official Lego models that you can get instruction for online, and they don't use all the parts. Just parts from all three as needed.

Zerojul

Okay, here's my entry. I call this guy Pyrocculus for obvious reasons and it's a Fire Max Mixel. He's got two modes, the "normal" one :

And the "Beast" mode :

He can transform from one mode into another in a few twists.

Bonus shot : fighting fiercely against a yellow Max Mixel that didn't make the cut !

I know it's not much but I had a lot of fun doing this, and I wanna say a big thank you for this competition :)
It's my first MOC ever so don't be too harsh please ;)

Here's my submission:

Scorchum
Hmmm... sort of makes me think of a four-legged Charmander. Really cool! (Or hot? Whatever...)
Here's mine! It's a squirrel. Made from Telso, Zaptor, and Volectro.
I love this one! The fence and acorn really add to the charm. I like that you take pictures of your creations outdoors.
Okay, here's my entry. I call this guy Pyrocculus for obvious reasons and it's a Fire Max Mixel. He's got two modes, the "normal" one :

And the "Beast" mode :

He can transform from one mode into another in a few twists.

Bonus shot : fighting fiercely against a yellow Max Mixel that didn't make the cut !

I know it's not much but I had a lot of fun doing this, and I wanna say a big thank you for this competition :)
It's my first MOC ever so don't be too harsh please ;)
It took me a few seconds to realize how he "transformed". That's very creative. I like how his eyes turn into hands.

mrkgoo

These are so cool. And looks like tons if fun.

I'm going to pick up the other two fire mixels when I get back from abroad.

Ironmask

Here's my entry, of course a MAXI version for the red team

say hi to my beloved Vulktron

everyone is doing a great job so far, i love all your entries but i'm really fond of Chezzymann' squirrel

theaface

Hey hey. I know it's only one entry per person, but am I allowed to submit an entry on behalf of my fiancée? After I built Rockodile she wanted to have a go, and I think the result is really good!

Vulktron sit down!

now Vulktron stand up and let them see your stature

and a final shot for the contest #nofilters #allnatural #vulktron #redteam

everyone is doing a great job so far, i love all your entries but i'm really fond of Chezzymann' squirrel
Love the picture from the front. Also like how posable he seems to be.

(Is it just me, or is red team the most popular? Dat fire baby.)

theaface

Won't get a chance to post this over the weekend otherwise, so I hope this is ok, Phonciple.

On behalf of my fiancée Shoshana, this is THE SHNUFFALO.

He's part pig, part billy goat, part buffalo and most importantly, part Eugene Levy (of Jim's Dad in American Pie fame). His upper and lower jaws also open and close slightly.

Bonus view from the side...

And a cheeky peek at the underside...

happypup

Everybody is going with a max so I figured I would give a mix a try.

So here you go the fusion of Flain and Seismo, I picked them at random, and well this is the result

I call it Dunkly as it was inspired by a Dunkleosteus. Who knew when you combined a rock elemental with a fire elemental you get a fish.

I forgot how hard it is to work with a limited number of elements.

I used a cheat piece for a couple of the poses (the clear strut), I hope that is alright, and sorry about the smart phone quality pictures.

Won't get a chance to post this over the weekend otherwise, so I hope this is ok, Phonciple.

On behalf of my fiancée Shoshana, this is THE SHNUFFALO.

He's part pig, part billy goat, part buffalo and most importantly, part Eugene Levy (of Jim's Dad in American Pie fame). His upper and lower jaws also open and close slightly.

Bonus view from the side...

And a cheeky peek at the underside...

Love it. Especially the Martin Scorsese eyebrows.

Everybody is going with a max so I figured I would give a mix a try.

So here you go the fusion of Flain and Seismo, I picked them at random, and well this is the result

I call it Dunkly as it was inspired by a Dunkleosteus. Who knew when you combined a rock elemental with a fire elemental you get a fish.

I forgot how hard it is to work with a limited number of elements.

I used a cheat piece for a couple of the poses (the clear strut), I hope that is alright, and sorry about the smart phone quality pictures.

Awesome work. And the cheat for the pose, I will leave that up to others if they allow it or not. I am fine with it, but don't want to open up the doors to more things sneaking in. So if anyone has an issue with its use in that, speak up. Otherwise it is fine.

mrkgoo

Vulktron sit down!

now Vulktron stand up and let them see your stature

and a final shot for the contest #nofilters #allnatural #vulktron #redteam

I already had Vulk, and just picked up Flain nad Zorch. BOy, Zorch is a terrible mixel.

That said, I was wondering where you got those eye pieces from. I haven't got any of those single circular 1x1 tile eye pieces in any of my fire mixels.

I already had Vulk, and just picked up Flain nad Zorch. BOy, Zorch is a terrible mixel.

That said, I was wondering where you got those eye pieces from. I haven't got any of those single circular 1x1 tile eye pieces in any of my fire mixels.

Wait, you are right. There are none of the 1x1 round tiles with eyes in the red Mixels.

There was cross pollination going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom