• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #5- MIXELS A GO-GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Won't get a chance to post this over the weekend otherwise, so I hope this is ok, Phonciple.

On behalf of my fiancée Shoshana, this is THE SHNUFFALO.

He's part pig, part billy goat, part buffalo and most importantly, part Eugene Levy (of Jim's Dad in American Pie fame). His upper and lower jaws also open and close slightly.

Bonus view from the side...

And a cheeky peek at the underside...
Haha, this one is so adorable. The eyebrows give him personality. I feel like he is a character from a cartoon.

Everybody is going with a max so I figured I would give a mix a try.

So here you go the fusion of Flain and Seismo, I picked them at random, and well this is the result

I call it Dunkly as it was inspired by a Dunkleosteus. Who knew when you combined a rock elemental with a fire elemental you get a fish.

I forgot how hard it is to work with a limited number of elements.

I used a cheat piece for a couple of the poses (the clear strut), I hope that is alright, and sorry about the smart phone quality pictures.
The fangs on this guy are awesome. Looking at that link, I can see the inspiration, though Dunkly is way cuter.

I made another one, probably will use this one instead of the squirrel as my actual entry.
It will be hard to beat the squirrel for me (currently one of my favorites) but I like your rocket powered bird too. Cool how you made him look like he's flying.

Ironmask

I already had Vulk, and just picked up Flain nad Zorch. BOy, Zorch is a terrible mixel.

That said, I was wondering where you got those eye pieces from. I haven't got any of those single circular 1x1 tile eye pieces in any of my fire mixels.

man you're damn right! It must be spare parts from the yellow mixels that got in the mix bowl. I'm so embarassed...
Better destroy it and rebuild it from scratch

happypup

man you're damn right! It must be spare parts from the yellow mixels that got in the mix bowl. I'm so embarassed...
Better destroy it and rebuild it from scratch

That's a shame it was one of my favorites (To be fair I haven't seen a model yet I don't want to vote for), I have no doubt your next model will be equally as good.

theaface

Just sharing this one for fun, as I've already submitted my entry. It's made up of the leftovers from my fiancée's 'Shnuffalo'.

This is the SHOCK LOBSTER.

I actually think I'd have been able to make something pretty good out of all of the complete yellow mixels set, but I'm still pretty happy with him as a mish mash of spare parts!

KTKA0uk.jpg

Just sharing this one for fun, as I've already submitted my entry. It's made up of the leftovers from my fiancée's 'Shnuffalo'.

I actually think I'd have been able to make something pretty good out of all of the complete yellow mixels set, but I'm still pretty happy with him as a mish mash of spare parts!
Awesome. Now all I can hear is the B-52s

Ironmask

Hmm I guess I'll keep the squirrel as my main entry and the bird will just be a for fun thing

That squirrel is so adorable, it has that classic building look that i really dig

I've checked every single piece even on brickset it was really only the eyes :/

Please welcome.. ..Vulktron the Second!

a lateral view

and a more poseable view

that's all folks, now Vulktron II can go back to his planet

happypup

Very nice. Now the Shock Lobster and Shnuffalo can fight for Rockodile's affection.

mrkgoo

This is so awesome.

The piece mix and particularly the eyes just make nearly every model turn out awesome.

My criteria for voting is typically cool, 'good' builds over straight originality, but all of these are good builds!

Not sure what I will make. I have all the fire mixels now so I just need to find some time and play.

The mixels are generally pretty cool so I can see myself picking up all of them eventually.

Did anyone else get a 1x2 spare plate with Vulk, the one-eyed fire mixel?

And while I'm here, which is your single favourite mixel set so far? Mine is easily Vulk. Has 4 ball joints, a moving mouth and articulated fingers and a nixel!

happypup

This is so awesome.

The piece mix and particularly the eyes just make nearly every model turn out awesome.

My criteria for voting is typically cool, 'good' builds over straight originality, but all of these are good builds!

Not sure what I will make. I have all the fire mixels now so I just need to find some time and play.

The mixels are generally pretty cool so I can see myself picking up all of them eventually.

Did anyone else get a 1x2 spare plate with Vulk, the one-eyed fire mixel?

And while I'm here, which is your single favourite mixel set so far? Mine is easily Vulk. Has 4 ball joints, a moving mouth and articulated fingers and a nixel!

I like Flain's head.

I got all nine, but I haven't even looked at the instruction manuals yet. I went straight to my build. Right now I am playing with the teeth parts and making realistic jaws.

The lower jaw isn't done, and I need to rework the upper jaw a bit, but if this works out I will build this head a body using all nine mixels.

mrkgoo

That squirrel is so adorable, it has that classic building look that i really dig

I've checked every single piece even on brickset it was really only the eyes :/

Please welcome.. ..Vulktron the Second!

a lateral view

and a more poseable view

that's all folks, now Vulktron II can go back to his planet

The funny thing is, I actually had difficulty, because when using just the fire mixels, you ONLY really have those googly round eyes, which can be limiting if you want something SLIGHTLY less goofy. It comes with one large round 2x2 tile, but it's only one...

happypup

Ok, my first attempt:

Phoemix, a fire Mixel Max (from Vulk, Zorch, and Flain)

I love everything about this guy, the fiery wings, the shape of the body, the long tail. This is a great first attempt.

The funny thing is, I actually had difficulty, because when using just the fire mixels, you ONLY really have those googly round eyes, which can be limiting if you want something SLIGHTLY less goofy. It comes with one large round 2x2 tile, but it's only one...

I had the same problem, I might go back and remove them and use color to denote the eyes in mine, but I already broke down my original model so I don't know if it will be worth it.

Ironmask

Yeah when i build my first model it was my building instinct to use the smaller eyes for character expression. When they told me about my error and i've tried to use the round eyes it was a pain. They take a whole 3x3 space around them and it's difficult to stuff bricks in that space.

yukonrye

I'm working on an entry. My oldest son is excited watching me build and I think he'll want to make an entry too. I'll either break down my model when I'm done and give him the pieces or buy him his own sets. My 2nd oldest son will probably have to try too since his brother is. I'm gonna wind up buying all 9 Mixels by the end of this! I didn't care for the sets at first but now I kind of like them. I wish they'd try and include each eye type in each group. The rock ones don't come with a 1x1 eye piece either. The eye ball joints are a pain to work with.

So far I'm loving that Shnuffalo.

Ironmask

I'm working on an entry. My oldest son is excited watching me build and I think he'll want to make an entry too. I'll either break down my model when I'm done and give him the pieces or buy him his own sets. My 2nd oldest son will probably have to try too since his brother is. I'm gonna wind up buying all 9 Mixels by the end of this! I didn't care for the sets at first but now I kind of like them. I wish they'd try and include each eye type in each group. The rock ones don't come with a 1x1 eye piece either. The eye ball joints are a pain to work with.

So far I'm loving that Shnuffalo.

Enjoy everything about it, the sorting, the peoject, the building and the problems you'll have to solve. The final product will be more than meets the eyes

Oh man, suddenly, I can't find the Mixels in my local stores anymore. I'll try to get the 3 stone ones.

The entries so far are fantastic; the cute shnuffalo, phoenix and squirrel are top notch. the others as well. Will be tough!

yukonrye

All done. I'm pleased with it. He's very posable and expressive which is what I was going for. Plus he has sweet mullet swingin action! I'm not sure what to call him. King Boulder Fists? I threw together a smaller guy with the leftovers. He's not part of my entry though. His name was easier Sir Remy Ainingpartes. They're both French.

Remaining parts

Extra guy!

Mullet action!

All done. I'm pleased with it. He's very posable and expressive which is what I was going for. Plus he has sweet mullet swingin action! I'm not sure what to call him. King Boulder Fists? I threw together a smaller guy with the leftovers. He's not part of my entry though. His name was easier Sir Remy Ainingpartes. They're both French.

Remaining parts

Extra guy!

Mullet action!
Oh man. Might be my favorite one yet.

theaface

^ Very nice job, yukonrye!

I made one more as it seemed wrong to leave the fire set out after my Rockodile and my SO's Shnuffalo. So yeah, this one isn't a competition entry, it's just for fun.

He's a horn-nosed dragon with stumpy arms and a chubby belly. I'll call him VISHARYEN - the first part as the wings remind me of the arms of the Hindu God Vishnu, and the latter part for House Targaryen.

OxkbUS9.jpg

e1iswzK.jpg

FzfN3rv.jpg

raca9Jf.jpg

I must say, the more I play with these Mixels, the more I love them. As the entries here and on other forums have proven, there's almost no limit to what you can do with them with a bit of imagination!

Can't see any other outcome than me buying all of Waves 2 and 3!

Zerojul

Remaining parts

Extra guy!

Mullet action!
Stunning work. Bravo !

mrkgoo

Remaining parts

Extra guy!

Mullet action!

This... Is so great. Makes me want to get the other mixels now.

I made one more as it seemed wrong to leave the fire set out after my Rockodile and my SO's Shnuffalo. So yeah, this one isn't a competition entry, it's just for fun.

He's a horn-nosed dragon with stumpy arms and a chubby belly. I'll call him VISHARYEN - the first part as the wings remind me of the arms of the Hindu God Vishnu, and the latter part for House Targaryen.

OxkbUS9.jpg

e1iswzK.jpg

FzfN3rv.jpg

raca9Jf.jpg

I must say, the more I play with these Mixels, the more I love them. As the entries here and on other forums have proven, there's almost no limit to what you can do with them with a bit of imagination!

Can't see any other outcome than me buying all of Waves 2 and 3!

Haha, cool! This feels close to my current submission. I originally was trying to build fiery wings with the small flames as part of it, but decided I really wanted those for the tail and head. Other details like the scarlet tail, head design and use of the maroon cheese slopes also remind me.

Especially love the use of the white tooth for horns. Man, now this makes me want to go through an animal encyclopaedia and make every animal...

It's a very cool model though. If this were a submission I wouldn't know what to vote for!

yukonrye

Thanks! I'm glad you all like it. This is the first custom LEGO model I've attempted in probably 20+ years. I've been getting sucked back into them now that I'm constantly buying sets for my kids. I'm taking them to the TRU and LEGO store free build events this weekend and I'll probably pick up more Mixel sets then.

OxkbUS9.jpg
This is great! I'd be an awesome challenge to take each Mixel group and make something that reflects the Houses in GoT. 9 groups, 9 houses.

I hope more people submit things. By my count we're up to 12 entries.

mrkgoo

Thanks! I'm glad you all like it. This is the first custom LEGO model I've attempted in probably 20+ years. I've been getting sucked back into them now that I'm constantly buying sets for my kids. I'm taking them to the TRU and LEGO store free build events this weekend and I'll probably pick up more Mixel sets then.

This is great! I'd be an awesome challenge to take each Mixel group and make something that reflects the Houses in GoT. 9 groups, 9 houses.

I hope more people submit things. By my count we're up to 12 entries.

Curiously, is there an explanation for the current Lego resurgence in popularity?

For sure, The Lego Group has done an astounding job at remaining relevant in this age of video games and internet by embracing other media, what with licensing (both ways) and a push into different areas, but it's hard to argue that the base toys are at a fever pitch.

People who were casual fans are now hardcore, and so on.

yukonrye

Love that ROCKBIRD! I modified him a bit into a ROCK(A-DOODLE)BIRD. It's a good build. I like how you did the torso.

Ironmask

Late entry, was in hospital for concussion but back with vengeance and I bring with me

MOTHER F'N GENERATION 2 SHOCKWAVE!!!

This sleek new model has turbo handling!

Eye see you!

Shockwave Wins! It's the only logical outcome.

Leftover parts

That's an awesome entry, one of my fav so far, good job!

mrkgoo

Late entry, was in hospital for concussion but back with vengeance and I bring with me

MOTHER F'N GENERATION 2 SHOCKWAVE!!!

This sleek new model has turbo handling!

Eye see you!

Shockwave Wins! It's the only logical outcome.

Leftover parts

That is frigging awesome.

Man. I was always against having tons of votes for this contest, but it sure does make life a little easier...

Best thing about this is that it's absolutely a mixel as well. Has hat cute sort of charm.

Ah man. Going to you around with my pieces some more. I just rebuilt the original mixels. They really are pretty cool.

mrkgoo

Not an entry, just playing more with these things. I had ideas, but they didn't pan out as I had wanted.

13940571137_5039704f28_z.jpg

13940570927_4ebefbe0cf_z.jpg

Ponn

Banned
Those are cool, remind me of like DreamWorks animated movie creatures. Getting lots of ideas for a Mixel Halloween.

I really want to get in on this, but I can't seem to find Mixels here anywhere in Perth Australia, kicking myself as I just got back from Singapore and saw heaps there :/

frogg609

I may not have time to make an entry, but I wanted to donate a prize to the winner pool.

I picked this up:

krnukH2l.jpg

Good luck to whoever wins!

Do we want the deadline extended? We have less than 20 entries so far. I know some had trouble finding the sets before, and would a deadline extension help? Or are the Mixels just not that appealing?

But the entries so far have been fantastic.

happypup

I am fine with that too. If more time means more entries, and every entry so far is great, then more time means more great.

Ponn

Banned
Do we want the deadline extended? We have less than 20 entries so far. I know some had trouble finding the sets before, and would a deadline extension help? Or are the Mixels just not that appealing?

But the entries so far have been fantastic.

I've only ever seen empty Mixel boxes in the stores around me and I think they are getting harder to find. That and there just is something about initially seeing Mixels that turns some people off. Great freaking sets for MOC but you have to get people over that initial hump into diving into them to give them a chance. Maybe give it another weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom