• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Ryuuroden

Somehow, "$30 later" is a recurring theme on Bricklink. "I only need these few things for this... oh, he has a couple of those? Wait, I could use that for this... then I could also use these... I wonder if he has any chrome gold stuff..."

Yuuuus, I totally do this. Like hmmm I know I am working on Orthanc right now but hey these would be excellent for this and that and this that I won't get to for a long time but hey, get it now :D

Having some time to look at the finished SD I really like it way more than the older version, especially the emperor mini-mini fig vs the emperor sticker they used in the older one.

So I went to the Walmart and they sadly didn't have the new mixels, but then I saw the metal beard set and had awesome images of metalbeard battling the exo suit and I just couldn't resist. Not to mention it has a pretty good price (412 pieces, only $34 bucks).

I just finished building it and wow, its amazing! There are so many details on him that I never noticed in the movie. Apparently its slightly inaccurate though, but I don't really care. It looks so awesome.

Ryuuroden

Ok, time for an orthanc update. It will seem like not much progress has been made since last time but that's not really true. I finished 2 more exterior walls and partially finished all the other ones so that now at least the full size of the base is on display. I just need to fill in 4 of the 7 walls still with black in between each buttress. That would be the areas you see grey plates visible in. They will also be buttressed but not nearly as far out and will be very recessed. I could probably get away with just putting black plates in there and call it a day but I want ultimate detail. Same reason I will probably end up tiling the interior with black and dark grey 2x2 or dark grey and light grey 2x2 or some variation to add more color and make it even more sleek. As you can see, my version is much more to scale with Treebeard.

The interior will probably stay the same for the dungeons level below the entrance as in I will leave it with a 16 brick tall area and make 2 levels of dungeon cells. I plan to add lego torture devices and orc overseers and such and try to add some color to it. That may mean I change the dungeon cells to dark bley but I am not sure yet. I ordered arches and such in dark bley just in case but if I don't use them I'll find uses for them in other MOC's I want to add a bunch. The staircase down to the dungeons will stay in the location it is at as the step off on top and bottom will work perfect with the entry level into Orthanc. That staircase will continue to the 2nd level in the same spot as well. I am planning on making the main entry also have tall ceilings, probably also at least 16 bricks high with large black decorative columns reaching to the ceiling and vaulted arches spanning from them. I am going to end up with a ton of interior space to work with so I will need to come up with a lot of ideas for what sort of rooms might be in Orthanc. There will obviously be the Palantir room, Sarumans Study, A library, maybe multiple libraries, living quarters. But if you have ideas, let me know, I may implement them.

15002592846_cc12c85615_k.jpg

14839042117_a3a1a16af5_k.jpg

15025247012_f85563d587_k.jpg

Ponn

Banned
SDCC left me unsatiated in regards to Lego reveals. When should we expect these Superhero set reveals, wasn't last year Toyfair? That's to far from now.

Eklipsis

So I went to the Walmart and they sadly didn't have the new mixels, but then I saw the metal beard set and had awesome images of metalbeard battling the exo suit and I just couldn't resist. Not to mention it has a pretty good price (412 pieces, only $34 bucks).

I just finished building it and wow, its amazing! There are so many details on him that I never noticed in the movie. Apparently its slightly inaccurate though, but I don't really care. It looks so awesome.

So where are the images? ;)

ghostmind

SDCC left me unsatiated in regards to Lego reveals. When should we expect these Superhero set reveals, wasn't last year Toyfair? That's to far from now.

I wouldn't expect to see the Avengers sets until Toy Fair. I think the DC sets will leak out well before then however.

It's reeeeeeeally easy to make him movie-accurate. All the parts are in the box. It's like, remove one of the round ends from his thumb, change the placement of the lock on his treasure chest, add the left-over chain to his arm.

I wouldn't expect to see the Avengers sets until Toy Fair. I think the DC sets will leak out well before then however.
Pretty sure at SDCC they said the Green Lantern set (and I assume with it, the other DC sets) will be available in January? (supposedly the same time for the new Lego Movie sets as well iirc?) If so I'd imagine we'll see them pretty soon.

wetwired

Ok, time for an orthanc update. It will seem like not much progress has been made since last time but that's not really true. I finished 2 more exterior walls and partially finished all the other ones so that now at least the full size of the base is on display. I just need to fill in 4 of the 7 walls still with black in between each buttress. That would be the areas you see grey plates visible in. They will also be buttressed but not nearly as far out and will be very recessed. I could probably get away with just putting black plates in there and call it a day but I want ultimate detail. Same reason I will probably end up tiling the interior with black and dark grey 2x2 or dark grey and light grey 2x2 or some variation to add more color and make it even more sleek. As you can see, my version is much more to scale with Treebeard.

The interior will probably stay the same for the dungeons level below the entrance as in I will leave it with a 16 brick tall area and make 2 levels of dungeon cells. I plan to add lego torture devices and orc overseers and such and try to add some color to it. That may mean I change the dungeon cells to dark bley but I am not sure yet. I ordered arches and such in dark bley just in case but if I don't use them I'll find uses for them in other MOC's I want to add a bunch. The staircase down to the dungeons will stay in the location it is at as the step off on top and bottom will work perfect with the entry level into Orthanc. That staircase will continue to the 2nd level in the same spot as well. I am planning on making the main entry also have tall ceilings, probably also at least 16 bricks high with large black decorative columns reaching to the ceiling and vaulted arches spanning from them. I am going to end up with a ton of interior space to work with so I will need to come up with a lot of ideas for what sort of rooms might be in Orthanc. There will obviously be the Palantir room, Sarumans Study, A library, maybe multiple libraries, living quarters. But if you have ideas, let me know, I may implement them.

I hate to think of what this is costing you, it's gonna be epic

EDIT:

So want a Slimer.

LittleSpud_B by amaro_joe, on Flickr

I've been talking to joe for a while now, I'm gonna get at least 3 off of him :)

Could someone who can read french give me a hand please. I managed to find the e mail about the Ghostbusters arms (PayPal is link to my old e mail address, for some reason, d'oh). I found the e mail and there is a link to track the post but it's in French. I think think it says it's gone back to France but would someone be able to read this and confirm for me please?

vZ7oOaO.jpg

Oh and the translating to English thing doesn't work, for some reason.

Zerojul

That's what I'm thinking but I'd like the full picture before I e mail them about it.
It says that delivery failed and that it has been sent back to France. It doesn't say why, but it does say that it has been "delivered successfully", which I assume means the sender got the package back. I hope this helps a little...

iuuk

That are a lot of sloped black bricks, the front looks great.

Is that an Ikea display cabinet by the way? I've been wondering if those fit a Robie House, or if the house is just a little bit to wide, do you know if that'll fit?

Ryuuroden

That are a lot of sloped black bricks, the front looks great.

Is that an Ikea display cabinet by the way? I've been wondering if those fit a Robie House, or if the house is just a little bit to wide, do you know if that'll fit?

The Robie House is 2 studs too wide.

Unrelated to the latest, but how was the Opera House received? I don't see nearly as much talk on it as I did Tower Bridge and Best Star.

Also, finally finished the new Technical Crane. Took me a while due to dog and family stuff. Build was awesome, finished product is awesome, but I wish it were controlled via remote and not switches and HoG steering.

I own and have built both the Opera House and the Tower Bridge. I may be a dissenting opinion regarding the Tower Bridge, but building the towers was monotonous and were really flimsy until you have the two beams hold them together (Had to rebuild them multiple times since they kept coming apart near the bottom).

I loved building the Opera House though; there's a lot of cool techniques to make the shells; it was just more fun than the Tower Bridge.

The Tower Bridge has a bigger footprint than the Opera House, and once you find a spot for it, it's not easy to relocate. After I was done building the Opera House, I carried it around with me to find the perfect spot for it and that wasn't a problem.

hmmblah

I own and have built both the Opera House and the Tower Bridge. I may be a dissenting opinion regarding the Tower Bridge, but building the towers was monotonous and were really flimsy until you have the two beams hold them together (Had to rebuild them multiple times since they kept coming apart near the bottom).

I loved building the Opera House though; there's a lot of cool techniques to make the shells; it was just more fun than the Tower Bridge.

The Tower Bridge has a bigger footprint than the Opera House, and once you find a spot for it, it's not easy to relocate. After I was done building the Opera House, I carried it around with me to find the perfect spot for it and that wasn't a problem.

I haven't built the Opera House, but Tower Bridge has been ongoing for months now. It looks really good, but is easily the most boring/monotonous build I have done. I had a friend work on the other tower and he's had enough as well. We had the same issue about it being fragile too. It's definitely not something I'm going to disassemble when finished.

leng jai

I haven't built the Opera House, but Tower Bridge has been ongoing for months now. It looks really good, but is easily the most boring/monotonous build I have done. I had a friend work on the other tower and he's had enough as well. We had the same issue about it being fragile too. It's definitely not something I'm going to disassemble when finished.

I think you're supposed to do both towers at once to mitigate the repetition to an extent. The main problem I have with it is the ridiculous amount of space required to actually display it.

wetwired

Batcave Update #7, finally some photos from something other than a potato...

WIP7A.jpg

Brand new water treatment, updated water fall, sealed in behind waterfall, added foilage creeping in around the edges, put some transblue pieces in front of the LED lighting to give it a slight blue tinge.

WIP7B.jpg

Began rock sculpting (awaiting more pieces so I can finish), locked down most of the lighting fixtures so they don't move and they highlight what I want it to, minimising light spillage. (still have to do the archway light though)

first attempt at scree (the loose rocks at the base of a cliff) on the right, thoughts? not sure if I like it, perhaps I should add some loose dark grey in amongst it all?

WIP7C.jpg

Tumbler in it's spot in front of the waterfall (needs dusting/washing :p)

hmmblah

I think you're supposed to do both towers at once to mitigate the repetition to an extent. The main problem I have with it is the ridiculous amount of space required to actually display it.

I only did one of the towers, a friend did most of the other one. I really don't think I could do both of them without losing my mind. My fingers probably wouldn't survive either (soooo many cheese slopes!)

WIP7A.jpg

Brand new water treatment, updated water fall, sealed in behind waterfall, added foilage creeping in around the edges, put some transblue pieces in front of the LED lighting to give it a slight blue tinge.

WIP7B.jpg

Began rock sculpting (awaiting more pieces so I can finish), locked down most of the lighting fixtures so they don't move and they highlight what I want it to, minimising light spillage. (still have to do the archway light though)

first attempt at scree (the loose rocks at the base of a cliff) on the right, thoughts? not sure if I like it, perhaps I should add some loose dark grey in amongst it all?

WIP7C.jpg

That is turning out absolutely amazing.

I disagree with some of the design choices they implemented on the tower bridge; I couldn't get over how flimsy it was to build. I did both towers at once, and was really excited to build this, but by the end of it, I just wanted it to be over with. Hunting for parts was also a chore; I left the pieces in the bags since there were multiples of the same bags, but that ended up working against me. In hindsight, this set is definitely one that you want to sort beforehand.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Lot of interesting feedback on the Opera House and Tower Bridge. I owned the Tower Bridge at one point - I found the design and display to be awesome, but the space requirements were just out of hand. I'm seeing that again with some of these flagship Technic designs, but I'm also researching some display options.

Opera House, however, is just humongous. I think if I had the space, I'd be somewhat interested...But as it stands, I can't think of anywhere it would go outside of the table in our front room, but that's sort of NOT a LEGO table, haha.

theaface

Just picked up all of the Series 3 Mixels from the Lego store in Watford. They have plenty of stock.

Can't wait to start MOCing them!

dalin80

Banned
Re: Batcave waterfall, if the base is one solid piece then you could get creative with a fish tank water pump and have an actual waterfall and water base.

ruxtpin

Banned
Batcave looks great Wet. I cannot wait until the missus and I can buy a house and I have the room to do something like that (not specifically a batcave, but some giant build).

It says that delivery failed and that it has been sent back to France. It doesn't say why, but it does say that it has been "delivered successfully", which I assume means the sender got the package back. I hope this helps a little...

Thank you. I didn't get a card through the post. Very annoying. I will e mail the sender. Thanks for your help.

WIP7A.jpg

WIP7C.jpg

Pretty weak attempt at the waterfall. No motor to have the water moving down to simulate water falling. Shame.
Just kidding, look amazing!

I love the details of loose rock rubble at the bottom.

Thanks for showing the progress. I loved seeing how it came together and seeing the before BURP and after BURP with sculpting applied.

This must take place during Dark Knight Rises since the tumbler collected dust while Batman was "retired". :)

I walked into the Lego store with $300 to spend and walked out empty handed. I wasn't feeling any of the sets in the store. I need more super heroes and a modular announcement. I can always put together my Galaxy Squad backlog if I get the Lego itch until then.

Instead I hit the board game store!

I walked into the Lego store with $300 to spend and walked out empty handed. I wasn't feeling any of the sets in the store. I need more super heroes and a modular announcement. I can always put together my Galaxy Squad backlog if I get the Lego itch until then.

Instead I hit the board game store!

Not waiting until Sept 1st?

I did a drive-by today as well to check out PAB wall. I noticed this is the 2nd week the old Speedorz wave they are 20% on sale even after the weekend sale ended. That makes 2 weeks continuously. I'm waiting for 50% off as they obviously aren't moving much.

I also noticed Mixels series 2 is still in LEGO store. Series 1 was sold out well before series 2 came out, but now I see a full rack of all of series 2 and series 3 on the shelves. I think Mixels will continue for a few more waves, but we could be seeing smaller runs of later series.

wetwired

Re: Batcave waterfall, if the base is one solid piece then you could get creative with a fish tank water pump and have an actual waterfall and water base.

Ha!, this was my original plan, I wanted to do an epic big feature with a pump and real water at the base pumped up, I don't have time this year though, perhaps next year. I'd need to line the bottom with plastic first I reckon.

Batcave looks great Wet. I cannot wait until the missus and I can buy a house and I have the room to do something like that (not specifically a batcave, but some giant build).

Yeah I was thinking the other day this is the biggest single MOC I've built so far.

Pretty weak attempt at the waterfall. No motor to have the water moving down to simulate water falling. Shame.
Just kidding, look amazing!

I love the details of loose rock rubble at the bottom.

Thanks for showing the progress. I loved seeing how it came together and seeing the before BURP and after BURP with sculpting applied.

This must take place during Dark Knight Rises since the tumbler collected dust while Batman was "retired". :)

yeah I'm doing it as "DKR Extended" as if he continued on as batman afterwards, Now that you mention it though I need to rebuild my batpod to have somewhere in the scene.

Batpod by Brent Waller, on Flickr

When is the release date for Series 12 of CMFs?

Usually they are on 4 month release cycles if there are 3 series in a year so that would mean Sept? Also, I noticed after the initial demand for Simpsons CMFs the LEGO store has no issue keeping them in stock now and the after-market prices aren't too high. I'm hoping to see some good clearances on them to pick up more; otherwise, I have plenty. $4 a pop is too much to get lots of multiples.

s12.jpg

EDIT: On side note, Mixels have been on 3 month release cycle. I hope they continue with Mixels, but reduce it to 6 month or yearly cycle as interest wanes in them.

Top Bottom