• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

I really had hoped that Elsa's castle would be bigger than a $35 set. That's disappointing.

My kids will be thrilled to have an Elsa mini doll but still....was hoping for a Cinderella-sized set.

Some of those price estimates are a bit off. I expect Elsa's Castle to be $40, the same as the 2014 Rapunzel set.

Apparently these are the rumored 2015 Bionicle sets. I hope "Master of fire" isn't a thing and its just a translation artifact.
Toa is best.
LEGO Bionicle 2015

70778 – Defender of Jungle
70779 – Defender of Stones
70780 – Defender of Water
70781 – Defender of Land
70782 – Defender of Ice
70783 – Defender of Fire
70784 – Lewa Master of Jungle
70785 – Pohatu Master of Stones
70786 – Gali Master of Water
70787 – Tahu Master of Fire
70788 – Kopaka Master of Ice
70789 – Onua Master of Land
70790 – Lord of Skull Spiders

Apparently these are the rumored 2015 Bionicle sets. I hope "Master of fire" isn't a thing and its just a translation artifact.
Toa is best.
LEGO Bionicle 2015

70781 – Defender of Land
70782 – Defender of Ice
70783 – Defender of Fire

Excite!

Even if I don't like em, I'll be all over Onua... love him so much!

Ravek

Banned
Toa is best.
LEGO Bionicle 2015

70781 – Defender of Land
70782 – Defender of Ice
70783 – Defender of Fire

Excited!

ruxtpin

Banned
Batcave looking great Wet!

And all this news about the new sets... Do we have any rumors to go on for the next modular (i.e. what it might be)?

Ryuuroden

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, Orthanc money sink, another 6 bricklink orders ~_~ lol, I am enjoying it though, its been years since I've had this much fun. I am pretty sure I am closed to being finished with most major orders though as I've been getting a lot of extra stuff looking to the later parts of the build during these bricklink orders. Dark Bley and Dark Grey tile prices are killer !_!

ghostmind

Saw a new LEGO sticker book at the book store.

oDcIsYHl.jpg

Yeah. Way to rub salt in the wound that Monster Fighters is no more by putting out a new sticker book for the Halloween season about them and other awesome spooky sets.

They really should have a Halloween Village series like they do Winter Village.

I REALLY like that idea... annual Halloween Village sets need to happen!!!

Turns out 100 Bats didn't go as far as I had hoped :/

WIP8A.jpg

I also put some orange pieces over the light in the arch to make the light warmer and built a smaller tunnel underneath the arches in the door way with a red light (bit hard to tell from this photo)

main things left are the rock sculpting, more loose rocks on the ground and the bat computer.

I'm thinking I need to light The Bat up a bit too somehow.

Where's all the bat droppings? Details, details details!

chimster

I have failed you lego-gaf

Fan-expo opened at 4:00PM today, I managed to get in at 4:30 after being mislead by the volunteers outside who kept telling me to go to a different entrance.

When I got to the lego booth they were already sold out of the exclusive set. Only 100 sets allocated for today.

Major disappointment :(

I have failed you lego-gaf

Fan-expo opened at 4:00PM today, I managed to get in at 4:30 after being mislead by the volunteers outside who kept telling me to go to a different entrance.

When I got to the lego booth they were already sold out of the exclusive set. Only 100 sets allocated for today.

Major disappointment :(

While I'm disappointed that you didn't get one, I'm pleased with my decision not to go! I never even considered it would be so limited at the show.

chimster

While I'm disappointed that you didn't get one, I'm pleased with my decision not to go! I never even considered it would be so limited at the show.

Supposedly 250 sets allocated tomorrow. I want the set, but not enough to pay another $50 entrance fee to get in for a chance to buy a tiny set for $45.00. With that money I can put it towards the tumbler.

They had the tumbler and a small star wars set on display.

neonglow

Supposedly 250 sets allocated tomorrow. I want the set, but not enough to pay another $50 entrance fee to get in for a chance to buy a tiny set for $45.00. With that money I can put it towards the tumbler.

You should just pay the eBay price if it's gonna cost $95 to get it at the show. I think the SDCC version goes for around $100 now. It's not very sought after compared to the Batmobile.

Thanks man-appreciate the feedback. I thought entrance was $20 for some reason. Not making the trek from Oakville just to hope I can spend $100 on a tiny set.

Eklipsis

Turns out 100 Bats didn't go as far as I had hoped :/

WIP8A.jpg

I also put some orange pieces over the light in the arch to make the light warmer and built a smaller tunnel underneath the arches in the door way with a red light (bit hard to tell from this photo)

main things left are the rock sculpting, more loose rocks on the ground and the bat computer.

I'm thinking I need to light The Bat up a bit too somehow.

Looks awesome! What's up with the ski lol

Saw a new LEGO sticker book at the book store.

oDcIsYHl.jpg

Yeah. Way to rub salt in the wound that Monster Fighters is no more by putting out a new sticker book for the Halloween season about them and other awesome spooky sets.

They really should have a Halloween Village series like they do Winter Village.

Yes!!

Rootbeer

Banned
was looking around ebay and stumbled on some forestmen... siiigh

It's so tempting to try to snatch up a lot of the sets I used to own as a kid :( I can't go down that path... it's darker than the dark side.

And yet here I am looking at some of the prices on bricklink... some are actually pretty affordable

Ryuuroden

was looking around ebay and stumbled on some forestmen... siiigh

It's so tempting to try to snatch up a lot of the sets I used to own as a kid :( I can't go down that path... it's darker than the dark side.

And yet here I am looking at some of the prices on bricklink... some are actually pretty affordable

DOooooooont dooo it......who am I kidding, DDOOOO IT, DOOO IT NOWW, Fufill your desires!

Rootbeer

Banned
DOooooooont dooo it......who am I kidding, DDOOOO IT, DOOO IT NOWW, Fufill your desires!

:( maybe someday...

but right now I just bought 10236 Ewok Village on AWD for $202... wow... umm I hope it has all the contents

BTW all... i recommend you use the keepa.com browser add-on, when you are browsing amazon listings it will show a chart underneath with 60 days worth of pricing data INCLUDING amazon warehouse deals prices, though since those sets sell ridiculously fast they usually only show up as tiny black dots on the chart (just mouse over them to see what they sold for)

Sooo... in a way I did just buy some forest men, just of a different kind.

Rootbeer

Banned
Wow, seems like an awesome deal, congrats :) Hope it's complete.

I know! Well, i'll say this... I've ordered maybe 50 or 60 sets off there to-date and only one had missing figs... and it was a star wars set with a big fig (Jabba's Palace).

So the odds have been kind to me.

maybe luck will be on my side since none of the minifigs are particularly rare or interesting for most people (ewoks, etc.)

Yes I knocked on wood just now

There have even been times where the set looked 100% new... not sure why, maybe they could not find the damaged/returned one and had to sub in a new set? Or maybe it was simply a returned set. I don't really know how their system works.

now watch they'll announce UCS Slave I and I'll be wishing I'd spent it on that instead.

I'll have to make more money. Time to take up prostitution.

Scored an Emmet's Mech for $41 >.< AWD... don't fail me now.

And... Awwwwww yeah. Animal mechs!

Bunny by Yatkuu, on Flickr

Alfred cleans those up. He should also do something about those spider webs. Bats are okay but spiders? Hell no.

Animals in animal mechs?! That is a series I can get behind. Awesome.

I know! Well, i'll say this... I've ordered maybe 50 or 60 sets off there to-date and only one had missing figs... and it was a star wars set with a big fig (Jabba's Palace).

So the odds have been kind to me.

maybe luck will be on my side since none of the minifigs are particularly rare or interesting for most people (ewoks, etc.)

Yes I knocked on wood just now

There have even been times where the set looked 100% new... not sure why, maybe they could not find the damaged/returned one and had to sub in a new set? Or maybe it was simply a returned set. I don't really know how their system works.

now watch they'll announce UCS Slave I and I'll be wishing I'd spent it on that instead.

I'll have to make more money. Time to take up prostitution.
Ewok Village was the best set of last year. You will not be disappointed.

And no need to resort to prostitution, many sperm banks will pay you to make a deposit.

Rootbeer

Banned
Animals in animal mechs?! That is a series I can get behind. Awesome.

Ewok Village was the best set of last year. You will not be disappointed.

And no need to resort to prostitution, many sperm banks will pay you to make a deposit.

Does LEGO addict look good on a sperm donor profile?

And I can't wait to get Ewok Village. I've studied people's opinions of the set very carefully here over the last year.

I have so many ships it's time to have the best SW playset ever made to compliment them.

ruxtpin

Banned
I mean... I guess they're good sets for basic bricks?

Edit: lol at the Nether set - "Here's a bunch of flat beige plates and boring black towers kid"

I like the mentions for "Build your own creations" on the box. Obviously, yes, it's Lego so you can, but it's quite fun with the boring criticism that branded things aren't about creativity. Good fit for Minecraft to push that too I guess.

I mean... I guess they're good sets for basic bricks?

Edit: lol at the Nether set - "Here's a bunch of flat beige plates and boring black towers kid"

It's the End, not the Nether ;) Kind of strange there is no Nether set, actually.

I feel like I'm one of the few who kind of like these. The house and the minecart one look to be the best, with the cave third and the farm and End being worst. Interested in the crafting box and what all's in there, hard to tell now though. I probably won't actually get any unless they end up being really surprising, but they LOOK just like how a non-microscale Minecraft Lego set should, really. Other than the minifig bodies. Dammit Lego, why can't you just make new body molds.

The Minecraft aesthetic is really simple so I can see how lots won't like it, but... It was a big part of my life even if I don't play it now!

Edit: Just realized the End set has diamond armor on Steve, that actually looks kind of cool and makes the minifig look better. Shame it comes in such an otherwise boring looking set. The mine one does have iron armor though! Maybe I will get one, or two, or a few...

Rootbeer

Banned
Is it odd that I think those don't even look like Lego? Just like some cheap imitator?

I've been vocal about my feelings on LEGO Minecraft, particularly these newer ones they've been previewing for a while now.

Not a minecraft hater, in fact I think the game is brilliant for what it is. I just don't think the LEGO and Minecraft aesthetics mix very well. But LEGO is certainly giving it their very best shot.

This is probably close to the best way they could adapt it. So it's good in that respect.

It's going to be a huge seller for sure. But not sure it's for me. I may cave and snatch one set just to test it out. But given how PACKED 2015 is... it may not happen.

I think the Minecraft sets are fine. I do have some issues with them, but I think with the limitations of new moulds they did a decent job. I think the square heads are the only new moulds...oh, and maybe the diamond armor.

They could have added a LOT more printed blocks in the 8 in 1 Crafting Box set. I'd buy a ton of those for my kids if they did.

IMO, the mobs look good. How well they hold together with play is another story.

That's not all the sets though, right? There's at least one more, the castle/fortress, isn't there? They even made a video with three different versions asking people to vote.

As for new moulds, it looks to me like

minifig heads
MOB heads
armor
weapons/items

Also, that mine set looks enormous. Gonna fit perfectly with the "underground" themed shelf I'm making.

Friggin' Lego stickin in exclusive MOBs into the parts box. Unless there's another set or two with it that looks to be the only way to get a Mooshroom and at least one other MOB that I don't immediately recognize.

Kinda odd there isn't a villager minifig. Or a Nether set. Guess they gotta save some stuff for Wave 2 right?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The square heads are good, but I just think they could've done much, much more to give it a more Minecraft-y feel. Maybe the dissimilarities are just too much and Minecraft is better served with its own unique brand of bricks rather than LEGO.

* Minifigure body doesn't work.
* The non-pixellated bricks just makes the sets look very basic.

I'll probably still get these if they're not horribly overpriced, but mostly for a handful of unique parts and the mobs.

Fowler

I just feel that these are aimed solely at younger builders; the sort for whom all the 1x1 tiles in the Cuusoo Minecraft sets might find way too fiddly. It's not great, the scale seems off and there are elements that seem super weird to me (like regular minifig bodies with square heads), but I feel like they were all compromises to get Minecraft at a more manageable scale for kids.

Yeah we get a lot of people looking for the Minecraft Lego for their kids/grandkids/whatever and they're instantly put off by both the size and the price of the current sets. I imagine these will sell reeeeaaaally well.

Rootbeer

Banned
Okay guys I need your feedback :)

Anytime you are dealing with bootlegs there is a bit of risk involved. And a bit of acceptance that they won't be up to the perfect standards of LEGO. I totally am behind this.

Well, I received a set of 4 FF minifigs today. 3 were in very good shape I'd say. Very pleased. But one of the 4 came in the bag like this:

The face misalignment is very bad. No way this would pass any level of QC. But the body is also bad. You can't make it out in the photo but the print extends onto the side of the minifig's body. Not good by any standard.

So here is my dilemma, which I'll admit, is really not major any way you slice it:

This bundle, including shipping, was only $6. Very reasonable.

So, what would you do? Contact the seller and try to get a replacement sent even knowing how little the order cost me to begin with? Or maybe chalk it up to, "Eh, it was only $6, the other 3 are good, I'll just accept it as a very minor loss and move on."

I am tempted to just overlook it, but I am still going to contact the seller and see if they'll send me a replacement. I am willing to pay a small shipping fee, at most.

Now the real question: would you give negative feedback on an auction if this happened to you and they refused to send a replacement? That is where I'm at right now. Waiting on their reply.

That's not all the sets though, right? There's at least one more, the castle/fortress, isn't there? They even made a video with three different versions asking people to vote.

As for new moulds, it looks to me like

minifig heads
MOB heads
armor
weapons/items

Also, that mine set looks enormous. Gonna fit perfectly with the "underground" themed shelf I'm making.

Friggin' Lego stickin in exclusive MOBs into the parts box. Unless there's another set or two with it that looks to be the only way to get a Mooshroom and at least one other MOB that I don't immediately recognize.

Kinda odd there isn't a villager minifig. Or a Nether set. Guess they gotta save some stuff for Wave 2 right?

Duh. I completely overlooked the tools and weapons.

Anytime you are dealing with bootlegs there is a bit of risk involved. And a bit of acceptance that they won't be up to the perfect standards of LEGO. I totally am behind this.

Well, I received a set of 4 FF minifigs today. 3 were in very good shape I'd say. Very pleased. But one of the 4 came in the bag like this:

The face misalignment is very bad. No way this would pass any level of QC. But the body is also bad. You can't make it out in the photo but the print extends onto the side of the minifig's body. Not good by any standard.

So here is my dilemma, which I'll admit, is really not major any way you slice it:

So, what would you do? Contact the seller and try to get a replacement sent even knowing how little the order cost me to begin with? Or maybe chalk it up to, "Eh, it was only $6, the other 3 are good, I'll just accept it as a very minor loss and move on."

I am tempted to just overlook it, but I am still going to contact the seller and see if they'll send me a replacement. I am willing to pay a small shipping fee, at most.

Now the real question: would you give negative feedback on an auction if this happened to you and they refused to send a replacement? That is where I'm at right now. Waiting on their reply.

That's what happens when you put on makeup when invisible.

Contacting seller wouldn't hurt. Ask if can add it to a future purchase or give discount for another purchase. If no go, just but another set or see if some seller sells them individually.

IMO, at the super cheap prices, you won't get much customer service.

At that price, I sometimes buy 2 sets for that exact reason. If shipping is included and it's super cheap I take the risk and just order another set if printing is horrible. Luckily I haven't had any as bad as yours.

Sure give negative feedback, but only after you have communicated to the seller. Oh, was the item sealed in a box? If so, can't blame seller. If open like in photo, seller is responsible as that's extremely obvious.

Rootbeer

Banned
Nope all figures were in individual clear baggies, removed from boxes (if they even had them to begin with)! But I would not be blaming the seller if they had came in boxes. I agree with your thinking.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

A $1.50 refund perhaps?

Top Bottom