• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Ryuuroden

I only just got it last week. I had to snag it now before it disappeared. I will build it closer to Black Friday. Same with Santa's Workshop

I am waiting for Black Friday to pick up Santa's Workshop. With the money I have to save for starting up the new business I am just cutting back to getting that, picking up parts for my Orthanc and probably a few small random sets I think may disappear during the holidays never to come back. Probably also some sets from Amazon if there are some good sales but no more exclusives for the rest of the year. I picked up all the ones that are in danger of disappearing aka anything from early 2013 and earlier. That's not to say that some of those sets will disappear, I just always buy within the two year window in order to be safe. I actually want to get myself to a 6 month-one year window which hopefully I will be able to do next year. I was supposed to do that this year but things happened.

I am waiting for Black Friday to pick up Santa's Workshop. With the money I have to save for starting up the new business I am just cutting back to getting that, picking up parts for my Orthanc and probably a few small random sets I think may disappear during the holidays never to come back. Probably also some sets from Amazon if there are some good sales but no more exclusives for the rest of the year. I picked up all the ones that are in danger of disappearing aka anything from early 2013 and earlier. That's not to say that some of those sets will disappear, I just always buy within the two year window in order to be safe. I actually want to get myself to a 6 month-one year window which hopefully I will be able to do next year. I was supposed to do that this year but things happened.

Ooooh, what kind of business, if you dont mind me asking?

And I am trying to save up to get Sandcrawler on Black Friday now. Maybe Fairground Mixer too if I can swing it. That will cap me off for major sets in 2014. I still want Star Destroyer and AT-AT, but those can wait and can be had for discounted price occasionally.
And getting Sandcrawler during potential triple VIP will put me up to about $150 or so in VIP points, which means Slave I will be very affordable in January. ;)

Ryuuroden

Ooooh, what kind of business, if you dont mind me asking?

And I am trying to save up to get Sandcrawler on Black Friday now. Maybe Fairground Mixer too if I can swing it. That will cap me off for major sets in 2014. I still want Star Destroyer and AT-AT, but those can wait and can be had for discounted price occasionally.
And getting Sandcrawler during potential triple VIP will put me up to about $150 or so in VIP points, which means Slave I will be very affordable in January. ;)

Well, A co-worker and I install labs for colleges and manufacturing plants, chemical plants, etc. Wood cabinets, metal cabinets, epoxy counter tops, fume hoods, bio-safety cabinets, clean rooms, etc. Our boss is retiring at the end of the year so we are going into business together. Our boss has offered to help us/teach us for the first 5 years for a cut on job bids we win. We both have a lot of experience doing the work just not on the bidding process plus we have lots of contacts that will help us win bids and neither of us wants to go back to working for someone else. Our boss compensated us way more than any other company out there so working for someone else would mean a major pay cut plus we are overqualified now for other companies due to all the extra stuff we already were trained to do since we are a small company. It only made sense to actually take over our own futures by being owners.

A layperson looking at my basement would think I am a hoarder, but really I just buy more sets than I can keep up with. My available time (and occasional laziness) is also an issue.

However, I am going to go on a major unboxing spree soon, and transfer unbuilt sets to bins, so that I can reclaim some space.

I have resorted to assembling bricks when storing. I have a medium sized plastic contain I call "the brick" because the contents look like one giant brick.

UyBPti1.jpg

Okay that was painful lol. It's okay, I'm not buying Lego to make a few bucks. Will try to post some pics later.

Think of it this way. You'll be able to enjoy it and still be able to sell it later on close to your purchase price or more.

Fantastic set.

Now get the Winter Market before it disappears!

I was all ready to buy it during double points today and my LEGO store was wiped clear of both Creator X-Mas sets and just sold out of Star Wars calendar as I walked in. I will stop by tomorrow to see if they get any more winter sets.

PSA:
LEGO stores are on holiday shipping schedules. This means they get 2 shipments a week instead of 1. My store's (LA area) shipment days are Tues and Thurs.

Tumblers, Research Institute, and Exo-Suits are coming in tomorrow (Tues) at my store too. I'll stop by around lunch (doubt there will be any left). I heard lines for Tumbler started around 8 AM the last shipment they got. Store doesn't open until 10 AM.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Put three of my excess sets up on bricklink yesterday and already sold one :) I suppose it helps that I've put them on at the low end of the price spectrum.

ghostmind

One of the Minecraft YouTube'rs that were sent promo sets published a nice summary review of all the Minecraft sets:

http://youtu.be/7XWITYt8g1c

EDIT: They all look better than I expected...

21114 The Farm & 21115 The First Night are my favorites, especially since they easily combine together.
21116 Crafting Box wins for pure creativity, with 9 model suggestions and tons of parts.
21113 The Cave & 21118 The Mine are also strong, and would be a great supplement to the above.
21117 The Ender Dragon is the weakest set in this wave IMO, though the Ender Dragon action is cool.

Prediction: these sets will sell like crazy.
Prediction 2: despite my initial resistance, I will buy all of them.

Ponn

Banned
My room is a work in progress, but here's some of the sets I've got out:

Nice. Unexpected Gathering is such a nice set. If you can find it cheap like on AWD Gandalf Arrives set looks really good with Unexpected Gathering. You can recreate two different scenes.

One of the Minecraft YouTube'rs that were sent promo sets published a nice summary review of all the Minecraft sets:

http://youtu.be/7XWITYt8g1c

EDIT: They all look better than I expected...

21114 The Farm & 21115 The First Night are my favorites, especially since they easily combine together.
21116 Crafting Box wins for pure creativity, with 9 model suggestions and tons of parts.
21113 The Cave & 21118 The Mine are also strong, and would be a great supplement to the above.
21117 The Ender Dragon is the weakest set in this wave IMO, though the Ender Dragon action is cool.

Prediction: these sets will sell like crazy.
Prediction 2: despite my initial resistance, I will buy all of them.

I agree 100%. Kids will flip over the sets. I do wonder if Minecraft fatigue is setting in though. My kids still play, but their interest in Minecraft merchandise is definitely lower.

It looks like LEGO was a bit nicer with their minifig distribution. The biggest set, The Mine, doesn't have the diamond armor which I think will be the one kids want the most. Still, LEGO does entice the must have all collector with The Mine being the only set to have the iron armor and helmet.

The spider, skeleton, creeper, and dynamite blocks can all be found in other cheaper sets. There are no animals in the mine, so if I had to pick between sets, I'd skip The Mine (even though it does look like a fun playset and looks nice).

Ryuuroden

Last Orthanc update on the old thread:

The third floor interior isn't finished yet but I started on the 4th floor anyways. Since each floor is removable I can finish it off later. Just have to add all the stuff thats going on the shelves and some furniture plus tile floor. Already wired the 4th floor (Palantir floor) as well. I have a built in space for putting my mosaic cheese slope floor around the palantir. You can see I did my own lighting effects for the Palantir. similar setup to the official one but I am not using a lightbrick, using an led threaded through a 1x1 round trans-red brick with another on top and then caped with a 1x1 trans-red round plate and then covered with the pedestal.

The third floor interior isn't finished yet but I started on the 4th floor anyways. Since each floor is removable I can finish it off later. Just have to add all the stuff thats going on the shelves and some furniture plus tile floor. Already wired the 4th floor (Palantir floor) as well. I have a built in space for putting my mosaic cheese slope floor around the palantir.
Jesus. That is nuts. I love it.

Will it reach your ceiling?

wetwired

The third floor interior isn't finished yet but I started on the 4th floor anyways. Since each floor is removable I can finish it off later. Just have to add all the stuff thats going on the shelves and some furniture plus tile floor. Already wired the 4th floor (Palantir floor) as well. I have a built in space for putting my mosaic cheese slope floor around the palantir. You can see I did my own lighting effects for the Palantir. similar setup to the official one but I am not using a lightbrick, using an led threaded through a 1x1 round trans-red brick with another on top and then caped with a 1x1 trans-red round plate and then covered with the pedestal.

Oooo, chandoliers

Ravek

Banned

Impressive so far. Do you have any sort of timeline as to when you want it to be completed?

So I didn't realize that Barnes & Noble coupon is working for Lego again. I was at the checkout buying boardgames when I noticed it. Oh well I need to get Lego from TRU anyway for bonus Bricktober set.

So I didn't realize that Barnes & Noble coupon is working for Lego again. I was at the checkout buying boardgames when I noticed it. Oh well I need to get Lego from TRU anyway for bonus Bricktober set.

Coupon I got said it doesn't work on LEGO. Which is lame. Look up sets on the website and it shows "not eligible for coupons or discounts" or some lame thing like that. LAME! It used to work.

Still wanting a TRU discount coupon so I can go snag and AT-AT or Star Destroyer there since they are MSRP there for some unknown reason.

On a different note, finished bag 7 of 9 for Sea Cow. All that is left is the mast and steam piping. So far this thing is insane. It is absurd and over the top in design, and in all the best ways. Truly magnificent so far, and I have no doubt the final touches will be delightful as well.

Ponn

Banned
I can post now if people want me too. Or I can wait until morning and post before work. It is GAFs call. I am ready either way.

I am going to need you to post it at exactly 3:45 am EST ok. Thanks.

And since Dino's are so hot right now saw this popped up on AWD. Weird set Dino Attack Mutant Lizards. Quick get it before Zulithe!! JK, You have a couple weeks of first picks on AWD before me since all my Amazon credit is tapped now. Going to try to save up all the rest i have coming for Black Friday deals.

I am going to need you to post it at exactly 3:45 am EST ok. Thanks.

And since Dino's are so hot right now saw this popped up on AWD. Weird set Dino Attack Mutant Lizards. Quick get it before Zulithe!! JK, You have a couple weeks of first picks on AWD before me since all my Amazon credit is tapped now. Going to try to save up all the rest i have coming for Black Friday deals.

My god. Looking at what they are selling Dino Defense HQ for it is making me seriously think of selling mine. Sure, it is open and the pieces are everywhere, but over $300 for it? Wow. Of course, the T Rex alone is most of that price it seems.

Checking the other LEGO OTs, starting back with Wetwired's original one, we have never actually gotten to 20k posts in one of them. In fact, you can still post in all of them.

We should get this one over the 20k mark. Just to do it.

Anyways, off to bed with me. If we are at 20k when I wake up at 7am, then I will post OT 4. :)

ghostmind

The Dino sets are going crazy in the aftermarket, which is weird since they couldn't give them away when they were in print. Seems to be the theme that most everyone slept on - glad I got my Dino Defense HQ for $60 two summers ago when Walmart was doing deep discounts on the theme.

I'm curious to see what Jurassic World does to the prices of this theme.

The Dino sets are going crazy in the aftermarket, which is weird since they couldn't give them away when they were in print. Seems to be the theme that most everyone slept on - glad I got my Dino Defense HQ for $60 two summers ago when Walmart was doing deep discounts on the theme.

I'm curious to see what Jurassic World does to the prices of this theme.

Got my Dino Defense for $70, and that felt like a steal. Only set in the theme I got, but I only wanted the T Rex and a raptor anyways.

Checking the other LEGO OTs, starting back with Wetwired's original one, we have never actually gotten to 20k posts in one of them. In fact, you can still post in all of them.

We should get this one over the 20k mark. Just to do it.

Anyways, off to bed with me. If we are at 20k when I wake up at 7am, then I will post OT 4. :)

Can you post a link (or PM me) to the 1st Lego OT. I can't find it by searching.

Vyer

Reading through that thread is a trip.

I was so LEGO naive. Then you monsters encouraged me to get Fire Brigade and my fall was complete.

That first LegoGAF thread was also the reason I got back into Lego. The X-Wing from 2012 was the first new set I had in about 15 years. Glad to be back. Bring on OT 4

Coupon I got said it doesn't work on LEGO. Which is lame. Look up sets on the website and it shows "not eligible for coupons or discounts" or some lame thing like that. LAME! It used to work.

Still wanting a TRU discount coupon so I can go snag and AT-AT or Star Destroyer there since they are MSRP there for some unknown reason.

On a different note, finished bag 7 of 9 for Sea Cow. All that is left is the mast and steam piping. So far this thing is insane. It is absurd and over the top in design, and in all the best ways. Truly magnificent so far, and I have no doubt the final touches will be delightful as well.
Nevermind I was a moron, it is still excluded I read it incorrectly. I don't think I will be renewing their membership next year.

Seeing all the Friends Jungle sets assembled at my local store, I think they did a great job on most of them. Which means I'm gonna buy most of them...ouch

Top Bottom