• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Fowler

ECTO-1 is a great mid-tier set, BUT I think it deserves its own special place in the OP -- we should highlight it to newcomers (and everyone really) that ECTO-1 was designed by someone residing in this very thread.

It's something that makes the set and this community special, so let's show it off.

Fowler

url=https://flic.kr/p/pCSRjX]Dark Knight Rises Batcave[/url] by Brent Waller, on Flickr

By far my favourite part of the entire build was that little chair in front of the batcomputer, It came together really quick and I really liked the result.

I'll get some decent photos of the custom minifigs hidden throughout another day but you guys have seen all those anyway.

omg. This is AWESOME. (And yeah, that chair is great.)

What are the minifigs hiding in the back? Is that Bane in the elevator shaft? Can't figure out who's in the waterfall...

wetwired

omg. This is AWESOME. (And yeah, that chair is great.)

What are the minifigs hiding in the back? Is that Bane in the elevator shaft? Can't figure out who's in the waterfall...

Yup, Bane is back there, Talia near the waterfall

Excellent work yet again, Wetwired. Can't for the life of me find Joker in that picture though.

Joker is the hardest to find, especially in these pic. I just typed out where he is but that ruins the fun.

Krilekk

Banned
I've been meaning to post the same thing to see if others had the way off color torso print on the swashbuckler CMF. This is what to expect with a 33% price hike? Happy with all the other series 12 CMFs I've gotten though. Printing on the other CMFs is excellent which is why I'm so surprised with the swashbuckler.

EDIT:
I watched part of this (not all because it's a bit longish). It's amusing.
President Obama is interviewed about being an AFOL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEzoaDrYQkU

I think it's just a general problem with yellow color printing on different color torsos. I checked a couple of older minifigs, all with yellow printing for skin parts. And all of them have a similar problem. Some look greenish, some look blueish, neither one of them has the same yellow color as the head. Except the bride from the wedding set and a tennis player. But those torsos are white and that doesn't seem to cause any color change after printing.

Ravek

Banned
I have been sick with a stomach bug most of the weekend but I finally managed to crawl out of bed and get some photos of the batcave before I have to pull it down (I may do a video first though)

I'll just post the first pic, there's a couple more on the flickr album

Dark Knight Rises Batcave by Brent Waller, on Flickr

By far my favourite part of the entire build was that little chair in front of the batcomputer, It came together really quick and I really liked the result.

I'll get some decent photos of the custom minifigs hidden throughout another day but you guys have seen all those anyway.

Awe inspiring Wetwired. My son just woke up, so I showed him and now he wants to build a Batcave.

chidrock

Tried it at a party: Seasonal Hoilday Animals for $10, LEGO Friends Animals Series 5 & 6 for $4 and Mixels for $5

Testing the waters: All LEGO City Great Vehicles line. Also any of the $20 super hero sets would be great. They all come with 3 minifigures and a vehicle.

Only on weekends: ECTO-1, Infearno Interception

Regular use: Bike Shop & Cafe, Milano, AT-AT

You're hooked: Tumbler, Parisian Restaurant

Fixed that for you. Can also label the OT: LEGO |OT4| Scratching the itch one red brick at a time

Krilekk

Banned
I just built the remaining six Mixels of series 3, now the bunch is complete. 27 Mixels guarding my DVDs. :D Still in love with this theme but they need to get more variation for the Nixels. And I still don't know how I feel about series 4. Already additions to existing tribes? There's gotta be more they can do, the colors are all there. And they need to do more with the arms. Legs are great but arms are mostly useless.

Ravek

Banned
I just built the remaining six Mixels of series 3, now the bunch is complete. 27 Mixels guarding my DVDs. :D Still in love with this theme but they need to get more variation for the Nixels. And I still don't know how I feel about series 4. Already additions to existing tribes? There's gotta be more they can do, the colors are all there. And they need to do more with the arms. Legs are great but arms are mostly useless.

They really need to increase the piece count to get something really worthy out of the arms. But I fear if they do that, the price would go up as well and the price being as low as it is, is one of Mixels best selling points.

At this time, we should give Series 4 a pass. But if S5 turns out to be the same...we revolt.

Experien

2G5LWvA.jpg

I finally made it to TRU last night to get my Bricktober Theater (big movie guy so it felt right). They said they had a lot and it was al behind the counter. Didn't see any new sets like LotR. With that little freebie, it actually made the price per brick good/even. Got Pizza Boy and Space Miner in the minifigs I opened; one should be the woman warrior (for gf) and then pig and dino tracker. Didn't want to open them all at once but I am excited!

They did also throw in this giant SW Rebels poster that pictured all the 2015 sets (not microfighters) on one side and all 2014 minifigures on the reverse. It is big and nice.

Stopped by Toys R Us this morning and got the Bricktober Pizza Place for $20 without any hassle. Much better than all the arguing I had to do last week.

I want that new LEGO Store build, but who knows when the next time they'll open a LEGO Store in my area is. :/

Ryuuroden

Recommended sets released in 2014:

-10242: Mini Cooper MK VII - $99.99
-10243: Parisian Restaurant - $159.99
-10244: Fairground Mixer - $149.99
-21108: Ghostbusters Ecto-1 - $49.99
- Mixels Line
-70162: Infearno Interception (Agents) - $29.99
-70808: Super Cycle Chase (The LEGO Movie) - $49.99
-70810: MetalBeard's Sea Cow (The LEGO Movie) - $249.99
-70816: Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! - $99.99

Haven't built yet but look awesome:

-75059: Sandcrawler - $299.99
-76023: The Tumbler - $199.99

ghostmind

I have been sick with a stomach bug most of the weekend but I finally managed to crawl out of bed and get some photos of the batcave before I have to pull it down (I may do a video first though)

Another masterpiece Brent - the lighting really sets the proper tone for this build.

If you don't mind I'll post the close-up of the chair, because it is awesome!

15513109142_c7b767134f_b.jpg

Fowler

There's a figure
to the left of the Tumbler but he looks bald so I don't think it's The Joker. Hidden by the platform the Batwing is on.

Amazing detail wetwired. Awesome job.

Pretty sure that's actually
Scarecrow.

EDIT: Found him!!! That was driving me crazy.

Caladrius

It goes without saying, but excellent work.

ghostmind

Most of the work is done for OT 4 now. All the banners are made, and updated the links and info for books. Now I just need to update the info for recommended sets and themes.

I want to know what sets you all would recommend that are still readily available that should go in the OP. Look at the OP for this thread for how I broke it down (price tiers) and please give me some ideas for what to post in the new topic.
I will update the info for all that tomorrow night, and then everything should be ready.

EDIT: And damn, it is more involved doing updates to the themes and sets than I imagined. It had been so long since I made this OT I forgot how much info went into it. But I plan on making OT 4 the best one yet.

Coming up with these recommendations has shown me how hard it will be to narrow down my "Top Sets of 2014" list.

For the budget minded consumer:
31019 Forest Animals
70162 Infearno Interception
76017 Captain America vs. Hydra

Mid Range Prices Sets:
21108 Ghostbusters ECTO-1
70815 Super Secret Police Dropship
70816 Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!
75052 Mos Eisley Cantina
76021 The Milano Spaceship Rescue

Higher Priced Sets:
10242 Mini Cooper
10243 Parisian Restaurant
10244 Fairground Mixer

For the truly insane:
70810 MetalBeard's Sea Cow
75059 UCS Sandcrawler
76023 The Tumbler

Rootbeer

Banned
It pains me that everyone's insane recommendations are not yet owned by me :p I have to do something about that... at least one of them must be mine!

Are you guys watching that Rocket Raccoon polybag auction? People are crazy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-tru-to...66305?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item2596cde6c1

Definitely crazy. It's not like eBay won't be flooded with those once they come out en masse. I guess people are comparing to the Comicon exclusive price and rationalize $100+ is a deal??? Crazy. And this is coming from someone that has spent over $20 on a minifig.

Amazing! You can't even tell parts of the walls were made from BURPs. The lighting plays such a huge part in setting the mood too.

I think it's just a general problem with yellow color printing on different color torsos. I checked a couple of older minifigs, all with yellow printing for skin parts. And all of them have a similar problem. Some look greenish, some look blueish, neither one of them has the same yellow color as the head. Except the bride from the wedding set and a tennis player. But those torsos are white and that doesn't seem to cause any color change after printing.

I know what you are talking about, but the swashbuckler is much worse that typical. They're printing on white too which shouldn't alter the color much at all. The yellow color wasn't even close.

Another masterpiece Brent - the lighting really sets the proper tone for this build.

If you don't mind I'll post the close-up of the chair, because it is awesome!

15513109142_c7b767134f_b.jpg

Chair is mentally bookmarked for "inpsiration" (which means copying). :)

The chair has very nice lumbar support. This is understandable considering what Batman puts his body through.

Bionicle looks awful.

Is there even a way to use these parts with standard LEGO?

It's not like the originals were super compatible with lego parts. It's actually easier nowadays to integrate Bionicle with the parts that are available then the stuff available during the original Bionicle line.

So I don't understand that complaint to be honest. Also go watch the NYCC panel for Bionicle. It may restore your faith in the line.

I'm mostly glad it not a 1:1 copy but a refresh.

Rootbeer

Banned
Definitely crazy. It's not like eBay won't be flooded with those once they come out en masse. I guess people are comparing to the Comicon exclusive price and rationalize $100+ is a deal??? Crazy. And this is coming from someone that has spent over $20 on a minifig.
I've bought a few at $12 a minifig. Some of those CMFs are difficult to get at good prices! Yeah, i'm very slowly, gradually buying them all so I have a full set of each. Totally doable... but i focused on getting some of the more expensive ones first before they rise too much more.

Ponn

Banned
Cheap Gateway Drug Sets:

Mixels

Captain America vs. Hydra

Creator Forest Animals

Batman Arctic Mr. Freeze set is still available

Brainiac Attacks - This is going to be next Lex Power Armor

Mid-Range You Are Going Down a Path You May Never Come Back From Sets.

Batman Riddler Chase - current way to get a Batmobile that looks like one going to be in video game. And Flash fig.

Architecture Eiffel Tower - I really like the display, something different and neat build techniquest

Hulk Lab Smash - Hulk is nice big fig and you get unique figs

Ecto-1 - no freaking brainer

Grodd Goes Banana's - Probably worth it just putting the set in there now. I mean look at the figs and Bat-Mech. Come on.

Milano - GoTG is so hot right now.

High Range Well You are in to Deep, No Turning Back Now Sets

Probably the Star Wars AT AT and Imperial Star Destroyer sets

Lonely Mountain - The price ratio is bonkers but mmmm that Smaug and the display looks really good. Next to Unexpected Gathering probably the de facto Hobbit set.

Arkham Asylum - How do I hold all these figs! Great build, great display for your DC figs

Benny Spaceship - Don't have it but popular for movie fans and nostalgia

You Have Stared Into The Abyss to Long and it Took Your Credit Card Sets

The Tumbler

Sea Cow

Slave-1

Tower of Orthanc

Experien

Cheap Gateway Drug Sets:

Mixels

Captain America vs. Hydra

Creator Forest Animals

Batman Arctic Mr. Freeze set is still available

Brainiac Attacks - This is going to be next Lex Power Armor

Mid-Range You Are Going Down a Path You May Never Come Back From Sets.

Batman Riddler Chase - current way to get a Batmobile that looks like one going to be in video game. And Flash fig.

Architecture Eiffel Tower - I really like the display, something different and neat build techniquest

Hulk Lab Smash - Hulk is nice big fig and you get unique figs

Ecto-1 - no freaking brainer

Grodd Goes Banana's - Probably worth it just putting the set in there now. I mean look at the figs and Bat-Mech. Come on.

Milano - GoTG is so hot right now.

High Range Well You are in to Deep, No Turning Back Now Sets

Probably the Star Wars AT AT and Imperial Star Destroyer sets

Lonely Mountain - The price ratio is bonkers but mmmm that Smaug and the display looks really good. Next to Unexpected Gathering probably the de facto Hobbit set.

Arkham Asylum - How do I hold all these figs! Great build, great display for your DC figs

Benny Spaceship - Don't have it but popular for movie fans and nostalgia

You Have Stared Into The Abyss to Long and it Took Your Credit Card Sets

The Tumbler

Sea Cow

Slave-1

Tower of Orthanc

No mention of Ewok Village?! :p

I admittedly am not collecting the Star Wars line so those sets slip my mind. i really don't want to fall into that black hole of collecting.

Also not sure how hard it is to find this set or going rate but I thought it was neat it popped up on AWD. Shuttle Expedition for $227

A quick eBay search showed it can be found cheaper. I always wonder where AWD finds some stuff.

Ryuuroden

It looks fantastic!

I know there were a few posts from people that missed out on Monster Fighter sets.

This is a good price of a set OOP.
$34.99 MSRP

$29.99 for 9464 The Vampyre Hearse

http://brickset.com/article/12707
"We have a Halloween theme for our October 2014 Brickset promo. $29.99 for Monster Fighters Sets: 9464 The Vampyre Hearse. All the readers need to do is enter promo code: 9464BRKSET at the checkout to get this price. "

This is the non-glow in dark sticker one.

9464-1.jpg

Ryuuroden

Started work on the palantir level of my Orthanc today. It's coming together just as I imagined in my mind and the cheese slope mosaic floor around the palantir is going to be awesome. I think I am going to get addicted to making floors with cheese slopes on their sides. Still plotting out how I want to do the exterior features for this level although I have already got the balcony built :)

I feel a trip to Target coming soon...

And OT 4 is all set and ready to go for when we hit the 20k mark on this one. Probably sometime tomorrow or Tuesday. But the file is prepped.

EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

AWESOME!!!

Can someone with experience selling on Bricklink answer this?

If I open a store, are there any penalties for removing inventory from my store that I might have sold by some other means or if I change my mind?

For example, I have some sets and minifigs I want to sell. I put on Bricklink and nothing sells for a few weeks. I want to try eBay and it sells. I now no longer have the set and need to remove it from Bricklink.

Some stuff I have multiple items and can sell on both eBay and Bricklink, but some I only have one item.

Thanks.

ghostmind

AWESOME!!!

Can someone with experience selling on Bricklink answer this?

If I open a store, are there any penalties for removing inventory from my store that I might have sold by some other means or if I change my mind?

For example, I have some sets and minifigs I want to sell. I put on Bricklink and nothing sells for a few weeks. I want to try eBay and it sells. I now no longer have the set and need to remove it from Bricklink.

Some stuff I have multiple items and can sell on both eBay and Bricklink, but some I only have one item.

Thanks.

As far as I know, there are no penalties for removing items or altering your inventory. You have much more freedom than on eBay, for example. Of course, if a buyer has already ordered a part or set, you should honor that sale. I've had some bad sellers in the past, who didn't do a good job on maintaining inventories, and listed sets that they no longer had. That's a poor business practice, and leaves a bad taste in the buyer's mouth (and can lead to bad feedback for the seller).

As far as I know, there are no penalties for removing items or altering your inventory. You have much more freedom than on eBay, for example. Of course, if a buyer has already ordered a part or set, you should honor that sale. I've had some bad sellers in the past, who didn't do a good job on maintaining inventories, and listed sets that they no longer had. That's a poor business practice, and leaves a bad taste in the buyer's mouth (and can lead to bad feedback for the seller).

Thanks. I'm gonna start looking into starting a Bricklink store more seriously. I really need to sell stuff so my wife will loosen the leash a bit more. :) If she sees I'm unloading some stuff and maybe making some extra money on it, I'll be good. :)

--------

On another note, my youngest son started building 70728: Battle for Ninjago City. It's such a nice looking set. One of the techniques I saw caught my interest.

It had a very interesting SNOT technique I haven't seen. It uses technic bricks and this piece:

Plate, Modified 2 x 2 with Pin on Bottom
2476.gif

qTeqR8K.gif

Prepping for OT 4.

And finished bag 4 of Sea Cow tonight, which was the first part of the main body of the ship. So awesome so far. Maybe I am just a sucker for awesome ships, but I have a feeling the rest of the build will be more insane when I continue tomorrow.

Top Bottom