• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Milano is finished! It was indeed a very interesting build with neat chunks being built and then bolted together. The final thing is very swooshable and a bit easier to handle than the Quinjet. I'm not really decided on the looks of it yet, it really does look like a parrot. Next up will be a tilted stand to put it in a suitable hover position.

The figures are ace too. I'm not very fond of Ronan who was a terrible design and the generic badguy is generic (as is the ship, much like the Loki chariot or the useless Super Secret Police craft in Spaceship^3), but the heroes are great. There's so many viable looks for Star-Lord - with or without helmet, with guns, with the super booster thing, piloting the ship...

Also, I now have two Chris Pratts and two Lee Paces to go with my two Christopher Lees. I need to figure out something fun with this.

The Milano is finished! It was indeed a very interesting build with neat chunks being built and then bolted together. The final thing is very swooshable and a bit easier to handle than the Quinjet. I'm not really decided on the looks of it yet, it really does look like a parrot. Next up will be a tilted stand to put it in a suitable hover position.

The figures are ace too. I'm not very fond of Ronan who was a terrible design and the generic badguy is generic (as is the ship, much like the Loki chariot or the useless Super Secret Police craft in Spaceship^3), but the heroes are great. There's so many viable looks for Star-Lord - with or without helmet, with guns, with the super booster thing, piloting the ship...

Also, I now have two Chris Pratts and two Lee Paces to go with my two Christopher Lees. I need to figure out something fun with this.
When I get home I will find the pics of my Milano stand if you are curious.

And I love the posable wings on the ship. Adds character.

ghostmind

Hoth Echo Base is scheduled for an October 11th release date.

Now whether they stick to that date, or it slides back like Slave I did...

taoofjord

Temple of Arijitzu looks soooooooo good. I'm not into any of the Ninjago sets as I generally don't like the line's aesthetic, but this one is gorgeous. Not sure if I can spend $200 on it though. I suppose I'll pick up Wall-E instead while I mull it over (and convince my wife).

Temple of Arijitzu looks soooooooo good. I'm not into any of the Ninjago sets as I generally don't like the line's aesthetic, but this one is gorgeous. Not sure if I can spend $200 on it though. I suppose I'll pick up Wall-E instead while I mull it over (and convince my wife).

An important factor to convincing a significant other is the resale value. It's very likely the after market value of that set once out of production will be around MSRP or more likely higher even if used! Just make sure to keep box and instructions in good shape.

taoofjord

An important factor to convincing a significant other is the resale value. It's very likely the after market value of that set once out of production will be around MSRP or more likely higher even if used! Just make sure to keep box and instructions in good shape.

I like the way you think!

Hoth Echo Base is scheduled for an October 11th release date.

Now whether they stick to that date, or it slides back like Slave I did...
My money is on sliding. They will move to Jan and May for UCS now. I am fine with that. Makes the holidays hurt less.

Make Jan 1st UCS Star Wars and new modular day. :)

Rootbeer

Banned
I like having them on Jan 1st. Just as long as they don't do two huge D2C SW sets between now and Jan 1st... One is enough when I'm already gunning for the Winter D2C set and the next Modular Building.

I like having them on Jan 1st. Just as long as they don't do two huge D2C SW sets between now and Jan 1st... One is enough when I'm already gunning for the Winter D2C set and the next Modular Building.
Crap. Forgot about Winter Village. I tell myself I am stopping that theme, but I am weak. Oh so weak.

Jimbro72

I am not having good luck with LEGO the past week. First, I come up missing 2 pieces from the UCS Slave I last weekend and today my order arrived that I placed earlier this week (to get the free SW poster), and it's missing one of the sets I ordered. It's a small $10 set, so not something that couldn't fit in the box and it's not backordered or showing up later to my knowledge. Just not in the box. Weird. 2nd time in the past year they have messed up my order like this. The other time I received a set I did not order but did not get one I did order.

TheFuzz

Friends, what are your thoughts on Changing Seasons (Creator set). I've been itching to pick that up, think it would work nicely with the smaller $10 seasonal sets. Thoughts?

Friends, what are your thoughts on Changing Seasons (Creator set). I've been itching to pick that up, think it would work nicely with the smaller $10 seasonal sets. Thoughts?

Don't have it, but it is tempting me so. It looks great. But I am a sucker for Creator houses.

And Siegfried, if you and others wanted it, here is my old post about the Milano stand I made earlier this year:

Finally finished my Milano stand. I prettied it up, and added figure stands on the front. I could make it a bit smoother, but I happy with it.

The stand from multiple angles to give others an idea of parts that I used and the angles needed for it. The trick is for the technic beams jutting out of it to rest against the inverted slopes on the underside of the ship.

It should rest on the front of the two most front ones on the underside, but it still works on the back two, but is not as stable and the ship isn't as high.

The full display.

I can easily add an extension behind Drax to give Groot a space, but I need to get the set with him still.

ruxtpin

Banned
<sarcasm>
I assume they are just going to release an "updated" Cafe Corner.
</sarcasm>

wV8pRci.gif

lol - This thread is just gonna' turn into gif responses with the occasional Lego pic.

All threads eventually do at some point.

And now that we have about 50 pages to go (for us cool 100 post per page people), or 3/4ths of the thread done, it is time I start plotting and setting up the next OT.

I know there are a few months to go, but the OPs are quite time consuming, even when just doing edit jobs to previous entries.

So now, I ask of LEGO GAF, what sets should go in the recommended sets for the next OT?

Please, keep in mind the OT will probably go up at the end of this year or early next year if we keep pace like old threads, so please keep recommendations in line with what will be easily found at the beginning of 2016 for those that join us late.

Also, I will try and not post the next OT until this one officially reaches its demise. No necro bumping here. We need the thread to truly die!

ruxtpin

Banned
All I know is we gotta throw mentions and pics at the start of the new OT for Wet and Ryu's work. Bonafide Lego celebs.

As far as sets, I haven't had much space or time to build; my backlog is bananas at this point. I did enjoy the Sandcrawler and Slave 1 tho.

All I know is we gotta throw mentions and pics at the start of the new OT for Wet and Ryu's work. Bonafide Lego celebs.

Oh, that is a given. I mentioned Wetwired's works in this OP, so obviously that trend will continue. Same with Ryu's phenomenal Orthanc work. And I would never have been here if it were not for Wetwired making the first LEGO OT all those years ago. This is ALL his fault in the end. Anyone blaming me or anyone else on here for being enablers can blame him since he made the original OT.

Yes, Wetwired, I am using you as a scapegoat.

And as usual, anyone that wants their MOCs posted, please let me know. The more love spread the better.
And anyone wanting to show off their display spaces or organization options. Organization seems to be a topic that pops up frequently, and that is something that could use a little beefing up in the OP. I am still striving to make the OP a one stop shop for anyone that joins our lovely little community.

Fishlake

I got a lot more Legos organized this week. I have found that clipping any similar bricks together helps me find what goes where. I could not stand all the piles I had but 1 large block of each type is easier to deal with. I'm clipping them together in such a way that they can be taken apart easily.

I'm ignoring color and the amount of different functions the parts have really amazes me when you see them all separate.

ruxtpin

Banned
I've still got my old castle MOC that I'm proud of. Pics aren't the best, but I've been in an almost continual move process over the last 2-3 years. Hopefully will be buying first house next year and my primary requirement is a basement/man cave. I'm going full lord business once I have the space.

11474072814_57eedd4785_z.jpg

11474151086_cce5b02e1f_z.jpg

11474052335_2c9ca8ae5a_z.jpg

I've still got my old castle MOC that I'm proud of. Pics aren't the best, but I've been in an almost continual move process over the last 2-3 years. Hopefully will be buying first house next year and my primary requirement is a basement/man cave. I'm going full lord business once I have the space.

11474072814_57eedd4785_z.jpg

11474151086_cce5b02e1f_z.jpg

11474052335_2c9ca8ae5a_z.jpg

The brick texture and curve on that tower is so awesome. Just magnificent work.

Fishlake

That looks amazing you should be proud. I'm hoping that after I'm done organizing I can actually try to make MOCs that look half as good.

ruxtpin

Banned
Thanks ya'll. I started on another build using a 48 stud baseplate and was going to use a bunch of burps with layering to make something really vertical. But that's been put on hold until I can get everything out of storage.

After marveling over the MOC, my eyes immediately went to the Dreamcast in the pic.
*sniff* Poor lil guy left us too soon. Still the best launch lineup ever.

Thanks ya'll. I started on another build using a 48 stud baseplate and was going to use a bunch of burps with layering to make something really vertical. But that's been put on hold until I can get everything out of storage.

I feel your pain. I hope things look up soon, and I look forward to seeing more of your work. The more you build, the better you get.

Ponn

Banned
So now, I ask of LEGO GAF, what sets should go in the recommended sets for the next OT?

What excellent timing. I scored a Morro Dragon from AWD for $53 and it was just delivered this morning. I already have a huge backlog and halloween moc to work on but seeing the box I just had to put it together.

Wow.

*ahem* Let me repeat that. Wow.

I have never been into Ninjago or even interested in any of those sets and then like alot of others I saw the new sets and they got my attention. The pics and videos just doesn't do this set justice. Every single aspect of this set is just aces. The minifigures are awesome. The fig parts, the ghost parts, the trans green fig pieces. ALL OF THE WEAPONS, a metric $!#T%$ of them. Glow in the dark pieces? Why the hell not. Great price per piece ratio with many unique pieces, unique and awesome colors. Awesome dragon wings that many will want. An awesome ratio of being a playset for kids that will enjoy it but the focus still being on the dragon and not alot of wasted pieces on extra stuff. Even though those pieces are just as good and useful plus the ninja air ski's are kind of cool looking with the ninjas riding them. On top of the awesome ghost figs, ninja figs and ghost ninja fig you get the two slimer looking things which are just cool and psychotic looking. Especially the one with the hatchet. It's late and I just can't gush enough over this set. It was a fun build with lots of neat techniques for building animal or dragon mocs. Awesome usage of weapons and other parts to build features.

Rawwwwrr!!

Look at my wingspan! I said look at it!

The body was the main build and it just came together so elegantly, I don't know how else to put it. It looked good and you just want to follow the wavy body all the way to the tail. And then you add the outside features to just emphasize wavy look of the body and then it just pops. So much movement possible, they didn't cheap out on anything. Just stop reading and go buy this set. I vow to shove this set down everyone's throat Phon/Galaxy Squad style till everyone experiences the pure unadulterated bliss of building and staring at this set and the figs. Posing and flying this dragon is a whole other level of swoosh, it GAWOOSH!

peely

Neo Member

I liked it. I'm a sucker for houses as my childhood years were mainly filled with vehicles. My daughter forced me to do all three builds and the main one is definitely the best. I'm pretty sure there is furniture of some sort in all of them (as compared to the old beach house which on at least one build was empty), but I think it misses the nuances of the mountain hut - that it could be snapped open or shut.

Surprised they didn't put in a few more pieces to make a car on each build, I think there was nearly enough pieces left over to do something, but missing some key parts to make it good/strong. Was my first light brick so I'm now wondering what can be done technic wise to toggle it on/off.

So yeah, good builds and wasn't disappointed with the price (can't remember how much I got it for). All the builds feel that it would be easy to mod into something more to place in your city/etc. No complaints from me or the kid (who played with it for a bit before moving onto nagging me to build the Super Secret Police Dropship).

Don't know how it would fit in with other seasonal kits, but I don't think the Xmas build would look too out of place with Winter Village, but I'm going to be breaking the seal on that theme this year ....

Hope that helps :)

ghostmind

The 2007 is straight up garbage. It's so small compared to all the other ones. Has Jang done other comparison videos like this?

He's done Halo comparisons before, but nothing like this.

Hope he does more - the Star Wars theme is a goldmine for these types of videos.

ghostmind

Proud owner of the 2015! The maul minifig isn't the best I have the 2011 version anyway.

I still have to pick up the 2015 version - been holding off on getting the summer sets in case LEGO puts up some promos that I want to take advantage of. The Holiday Train will be one of those.

willp2003

Apparently Wall-e has been delayed until mid September, presumably to fix the weak neck.
Amazon have sent mine out. So it will be interesting to see the changes

Rootbeer

Banned
yeah people have been finding these in stores a ton the last week or so. I don't see how it could be delayed. It's possible they stopped shipping them to correct the set and will release fixed versions I guess?

Toxi

Banned
JANG compares the 4 iterations of the Sith Infiltrator, from 1999 to 2015:

http://youtu.be/0yQtlBUeQ-c

Fascinating video.
Man, I have no clue what they were thinking with the price on the new one. It's not just the price per part rate; the Sith Infiltrator doesn't feel like a 90 dollar ship to me. It's a ship that appeared on-screen very briefly and seats one person. Throwing down nearly 100 dollars is generally reserved for the vehicles like giant walkers or boats that are practically mobile command centers. Add on the fact that there are new Star Wars sets coming out for a new movie and the whole thing feels awkward.

Still, I do admit the design has grown on me.

Thanks for the pictures of the stand. I'll see if I can make anything similar.

As for the next OT, some set suggestions would be Wall-E (most likely) and 41073 Naida's Epic Adventure Ship. The latter was such a nice surprise.

Rootbeer

Banned
Man, I have no clue what they were thinking with the price on the new one. It's not just the price per part rate; the Sith Infiltrator doesn't feel like a 90 dollar ship to me. It's a ship that appeared on-screen very briefly and seats one person. Throwing down nearly 100 dollars is generally reserved for the vehicles like giant walkers or boats that are practically mobile command centers. Add on the fact that there are new Star Wars sets coming out for a new movie and the whole thing feels awkward.

Still, I do admit the design has grown on me.

It's not a set for everyone. But if you'e watched JANG's videos on these ships, you'll see how he outlines that the 2015 version is the best constructed (for durability/play/swoosh), best looking and most compelling build experience of the four. Also, it is the second cheapest when you consider Price Per Part ratio adjusted for inflation. Those are pretty compelling bullet points for someone like me who didn't own any of the previous LEGO iterations of the ship. If you already own the 2011 version, it's probably an easy skip since it's not a big improvement over it. This is probably more for people just getting on board.

I didn't want to keep on collecting LEGO SW and not have this ship in my collection, as I really like how it looks. I have a real soft spot for Dark Side ships (though I'm still on the fence over Kylo's -- buying it anyway of course :p). Sith Infiltrator was worth it for me!

Toxi

Banned
It's not a set for everyone. But if you'e watched JANG's videos on these ships, you'll see how he outlines that the 2015 version is the best constructed (for durability/play/swoosh), best looking and most compelling build experience of the four. Also, it is the second cheapest when you consider Price Per Part ratio adjusted for inflation. Those are pretty compelling bullet points for someone like me who didn't own any of the previous LEGO iterations of the ship. If you already own the 2011 version, it's probably an easy skip since it's not a big improvement over it. This is probably more for people just getting on board.
Yeah, the new one is definitely the best one for fans of the ship.

The 1999 one is just LOL. Reminds me of the "shadow fighter" I built when I was 12.
He's done Halo comparisons before, but nothing like this.

Hope he does more - the Star Wars theme is a goldmine for these types of videos.
The one vehicle that really could use this sort of comparison is the AT-ST; it has, what, four different versions not including the mini and ultimate collector's series ones?

Rootbeer

Banned
Speaking of Dark Side ships, i've been looking over my brickset database at all the sets I own and don't own.

While there's clearly TONS of LEGO SW I do not own -- a huge percentage of it are sets that have newer versions that I do own, so I can overlook a lot of the earlier stuff.

But one ship I do not own and probably never will as I doubt it will ever be remade...

7672-1.jpg

Curious if anyone here owns it?

I can probably bricklink it easily enough due to the sets age and somewhat outdated design which relies on older parts and simpler building principles. haven't decided if I will or not yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom