• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, I think I have the LEGO bug. All because someone posted about LEGO in the off-topic forum a week ago and I was directed here. I haven't even received a set yet (I've ordered the Ecto-1 and Pirates Chess) and I already have these grand plans for future builds.

I eventually want to do a pirate ship MOC. I'm thinking of buying the Sea Cow for parts and building experience/techniques, but I will have to supplement this with more parts. LEGO pick-a-brick will meet some of these requirements, but is there a good site that sells unique parts not offered there. I saw a lot of stuff through third-party vendors on Amazon, but I wondered if there was a better option.

I think I am already in too deep. Thanks for any tips.

Welcome, and kiss your money goodbye!

And as ChezzyMann said, Bricklink is a great resource for stuff like that. Or just go buy more and more sets to get parts and learn new techniques as you go.

And I cannot recommend Sea Cow enough. Just monstrous and beautiful.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Stopped for now, finished bag 2.

CNq-RMHUAAAp3g2.jpg:large

Really enjoyed building this so far, and unlike the older builds I did (volkwagen, cooper, tumbler) it really feels solid without that fear that something will snap off.

With that said laying out the floor was kinda annoying.

Ponn

Banned
This is such a storm in a tea-cup :lol

The head definitely spins too freely at certain angles but honestly, it's not going to affect your enjoyment of it at all because you wouldn't display it at those angles - he has to be looking up for the weight to be distributed wrong and it's just not a natural position to display him at. And even then he still looks forward unless you push his head to the side to unbalance it!

I can see why Lego want to "fix" it, but it's definitely a fine model even as it is.

Ah i'm sorry if that came off whiny that wasn't what I meant. I was talking about the availability if its not going to come out in Sept. on S@H because I was originally going to get that and a bunch of CMF's. The promo is I think just a tractor or something so for me it's probably best I just save my money for a couple orders in Oct. instead.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
UK folk - John Lewis will let you order the Wall-E set to store over the phone, product code 78644605. I did it out of curiosity.

neonglow

Oh man, I think I have the LEGO bug. All because someone posted about LEGO in the off-topic forum a week ago and I was directed here. I haven't even received a set yet (I've ordered the Ecto-1 and Pirates Chess) and I already have these grand plans for future builds.

I eventually want to do a pirate ship MOC. I'm thinking of buying the Sea Cow for parts and building experience/techniques, but I will have to supplement this with more parts. LEGO pick-a-brick will meet some of these requirements, but is there a good site that sells unique parts not offered there. I saw a lot of stuff through third-party vendors on Amazon, but I wondered if there was a better option.

I think I am already in too deep. Thanks for any tips.

I would get the Sea Cow quickly. It was sold out at LEGO S@H earlier but seems like it's back in stock. Probably just a matter of time before it actually retires.

Small PAB cup haul from yesterday. 894 pcs total. 98 eyes, and 296 chrome 1x1 round titles being the highlights.
It was cool to get a lot of green bow pieces as well.

I came oh so very close to having it be $.01 a brick with this. Damn.

I would get the Sea Cow quickly. It's already sold out at LEGO S@H but available still elsewhere. Probably just a matter of time before it retires.

Quickly, there's no time!

IHaveIce

Banned
Marvel 2016 info.

Avengers Space Mission: Captain America Spacesuit Variant, Captain Marvel, Hyperion, Iron Man Spacesuit Variant, and Thanos Big-fig.

Iron Skull Submarine Attack: Red Skull, a Hydra goon, a Scuba Iron Man, and Cap, who is captured in a cage, the sub itself is kinda of like a scaled down version of the Force Awakens landing craft.

Racers: Red Skull vs Cap, Spidey vs Goblin (which looks to be a different one then in the juniors set) and Hulk vs Ultron.

At least three "Civil War" sets.

OH my fricking god.

ghostmind

A little off-topic:

I'm worried about our friend Stu from Atamaii. How could he not know about Force Friday, unless he's just taking the piss?

http://youtu.be/_HXvK1qdVrg

Or maybe he is actually as smart as a fox, and he will get to see product that won't be releasing until closer to the Force Awakens release date?

Vyer

Is there some sort of master list for what's happening Force Friday? I see everyone talking about hitting up stores but I'm not clear on what everyone is hunting for to make it worth going out. Is it just sales?

ghostmind

Is there some sort of master list for what's happening Force Friday? I see everyone talking about hitting up stores but I'm not clear on what everyone is hunting for to make it worth going out. Is it just sales?

For me, it's not about the sales, and more about getting stuff before it gets sold out for a while.

I'm less worried about LEGO (though I am curious how much reserve stock they have built up) than I am about some of the other items that I will be chasing.

Then there is just being part of the experience itself, plus the freebies, giveaways, etc.

There is no master list that I am aware of, but a lot of Star Wars fan sites have been tracking product that gets mistakenly put on shelves, or catalogs that leak, so I think we have a fair idea.

There will be an 18 hour global Star Wars live stream on YouTube on the 3rd, where a lot of product will be revealed.

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-force-awakens-around-the-world-star-wars-fans-invited-to-join-global-event-on-youtube

Rootbeer

Banned

Target flier this week has $25 off $100 star wars purchase starting force friday. does NOT work on LEGO. The participating stores will also be giving away a chewbacca I think it's like 4 foot tall or something, through some kind of raffle. you have to be there for midnight madness I think.

Toys R Us will be giving out a special lego brick (it's not known what it is exactly... i wish it were a minifigure but we should expect something much smaller like a single brick perhaps), free poster and not sure what else. Those are the two main things.

Walmart is giving away some kind of trading disc... no discounts.

TRU will probably have better toy stock, but Target has the best discount. Choose your poison. You can only be in one line! I'm gonna try to hit both but if the crowds are bad then it is going to make a huge dent on my score. Traditionally, TRU would have the longest line but with Target's amazing discount this year anything could happen.

Yup as ghostmind said, watch the 18 hour livestream (or get the highlights from it) to find out the most current details. it's a shame they are doing it so very close to force friday... but it's better than nothing.

P.S. I was at Target today... I found the new Force Friday flier with the $25 discount coupon. You must have the coupon to get the discount. You can get it on your phone but the TXT msg doesn't work yet

ForceFridayTARGETAd.JPG

Vyer

Interesting. Thanks guys. Trying to figure out if there's enough reason for a midnight trip or jus wait til I can get my son when I pick him up from school.

TRU seems like a good LEGO bet.

Otherwise...I wonder if I'll be able to get a BB-8 of my own. :)

Target flier this week has $25 off $100 star wars purchase starting force friday. does NOT work on LEGO. The participating stores will also be giving away a chewbacca I think it's like 4 foot tall or something, through some kind of raffle. you have to be there for midnight madness I think.

Toys R Us will be giving out a special lego brick (it's not known what it is exactly... i wish it were a minifigure but we should expect something much smaller like a single brick perhaps), free poster and not sure what else. Those are the two main things.

Walmart is giving away some kind of trading disc... no discounts.

TRU will probably have better toy stock, but Target has the best discount. Choose your poison. You can only be in one line! I'm gonna try to hit both but if the crowds are bad then it is going to make a huge dent on my score. Traditionally, TRU would have the longest line but with Target's amazing discount this year anything could happen.

Yup as ghostmind said, watch the 18 hour livestream (or get the highlights from it) to find out the most current details. it's a shame they are doing it so very close to force friday... but it's better than nothing.

P.S. I was at Target today... I found the new Force Friday flier with the $25 discount coupon. You must have the coupon to get the discount. You can get it on your phone but the TXT msg doesn't work yet

ForceFridayTARGETAd.JPG

Did you not read the coupon?

EXCLUDES LEGO AND CLEARANCE

Fishlake

Just ordered the Mystery Mansion on the Lego website. I'm getting it more for the haunted house than I am for the Scooby Doo aspect. Everything I've seen about this set looks fun to me.

Didn't see it.

Just saw it and figured why bother posting it on a Lego thread, where it wouldn't be eligible to use in the first place.
Too many Star Wars fans in here. Many probably grabbing more than just LEGO that day. :)
People just trying to spread the love.

On a different note, about to start bag 7 of Temple of Airjitzu. This is everything I wanted from Ninjago so far. Just glorious and beautiful.

TheFuzz

Too many Star Wars fans in here. Many probably grabbing more than just LEGO that day. :)
People just trying to spread the love.

On a different note, about to start bag 7 of Temple of Airjitzu. This is everything I wanted from Ninjago so far. Just glorious and beautiful.

Phon, I wanna hear your impressions when you're done. I have no desire to own anything from that theme but I saw it at Lego this weekend and it was glorious. My wife even commented on how good it looked.

Phon, I wanna hear your impressions when you're done. I have no desire to own anything from that theme but I saw it at Lego this weekend and it was glorious. My wife even commented on how good it looked.
The only Ninjago stuff I ever got was clearance stuff or tiny sets like the fire mech. Everything with tanks and jets just kinda left me cold. I wanted classic Japanese architecture or cliched ninja and ghost lore stuff. The summer stuff is finally hitting all those notes. All the stuff just looks like old legends brought to life, and the temple finally scratched the itch for Classical Japanese architecture.

About to begin bag 8. Unless the set craps the bed in the last 6 or so bags, I am in love. Everything I wanted from the theme in one glorious set.

ghostmind

The only Ninjago stuff I ever got was clearance stuff or tiny sets like the fire mech. Everything with tanks and jets just kinda left me cold. I wanted classic Japanese architecture or cliched ninja and ghost lore stuff. The summer stuff is finally hitting all those notes. All the stuff just looks like old legends brought to life, and the temple finally scratched the itch for Classical Japanese architecture.

About to begin bag 8. Unless the set craps the bed in the last 6 or so bags, I am in love. Everything I wanted from the theme in one glorious set.

Phon, my favorite set from Ninjago is the Fire Temple, from the first year of the theme. The buildings and dragons are what always interested me, but the heavy usage of vehicles is what eventually turned me off to the theme. The Temple of Airjitzu blows away the Fire Temple on every level (except for no included dragon).

I may have to pick this one up sometime.

My, god. It's beautiful.

Finally, a place to stage ninja battles, and plenty of ninjas to pose!

Wait, why is Hulk there?

I have no idea what the story is behind any of the characters, and honestly it doesn't affect my feelings on the set at all. I kind of like having a blank slate and just having a bunch of ninjas fighting each other.

When Ninjago first came out, I was in the dark ages. I had been tempted by stuff, and upon seeing LEGO ninjas, I was immediately drawn to it. But almost all the sets left me cold. Even after coming back into the LEGO fold in 2012, almost all the Ninjago stuff just looked like a disappointment to me. It was all mechs or tanks, or some other stuff that I personally never wanted when I thought of ninjas. I wanted awesome temples or ships, maybe throw in some mystical stuff to play up some cliches. Sure, some sets here and there tempted me, and some of the dragons looked decent, but nothing screamed out to me to buy immediately.

Well, it seems that Ninjago finally achieved black belt rank. The summer sets all are calling to me hard. Creepy zombie ninjas? Awesome! Wait, a zombie dragon with ninjas riding it? Sign me up! I need to get all of them.

But this temple is what the theme should have always been in my opinion. Just enough touches to hit some silly stuff and cliches, but enough class to it to look like classical Japanese architecture.

The build is wonderful and there are some really cool techniques that I am going to steal (like the way the leaves are attached to the trees), and a few "duh!" moments. The stairs in particular are one of the "duh!" moments. There is nothing fancy to it at all, but it is done using some parts that were new last year and it is so obvious that this is what they should have been used for instead of angled walls.

Just a magnificent set from beginning to end. Lots of playability, lots of great figures, and it looks awesome on display. And yes, I played with the light brick theater quite a few times while building it.

I cannot recommend this set enough. I am just beaming after building it, as I finally have a ninja set that I always wanted.

giphy.gif

Yeah, I'm going to have to get this.

The garage doors for the roof were awesome, but we knew about those. But the spire on top of the temple? Those are train wheels. Just one of the many things used in the set that I would never have thought of using in that fashion.

Oh, and I want more rice paper windows now.

I feel like that set would feel a lot more 'full' with a blue base plate. Its a shame they pretty much stopped using them outside of the modulars.

As nice as the Temple looks in pictures that's nothing compared to seeing it in person. It is truly incredible. SUCH a beautiful piece of art.

In other news our waiting period ended on the Sept 1st sets so HOORAY I got myself a Mystery Machine! Weeee!! Can't wait to build it and stick it next to my Haunted House and Vampyre Castle.

eh i was sold on Airjitsu temple with the very first glance i got at a pic of it...knew right away that it looked fucking AWESOME which is exactly what i want from my display sets.

THIS is what Lego is all about for me, classy, intricate, and sort of clever/funny looking sets with plenty of spots to stage your own action scenes and figures.

My one complaint about [Airjitsu Temple] is the shadow theater. If you have the set on display there is no way anyone will ever know it has that incredible feature because it's in the bottom back of the main tower.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Whew, finished it!

CNvE_rlU8AAMxzV.jpg:large

Easily my favorite build out of all my four:

CNvE_bZUkAYTNun.jpg:large

Are all modulars like this? They have this solid structure feel.

Osahi

Whew, finished it!

CNvE_rlU8AAMxzV.jpg:large

CNvE_bZUkAYTNun.jpg:large

I only have this one and Palace Cinema and Detective's Office. But yeah, the readily available modulars are similar. Older versions don't have interiours though, or have minimalistic ones (Palace Cinema for instance, Pet Shop too)

I liked Parisian Restaurant and Detectives Office the best. Those are easily on par with each other. Palace cinema looks awesome and is solid, but I was disapointed in the interiour, which could have been so much more with just a little more bricks.

I would say; grab the DO. It is magnificent. And if you can't hold yourself, in the end the PC is great too.

Just got back from a store where surprisingly, they had Constraction for sale already!

Thought they were only due for Sept. sometime? Anyway all they had left was a Luke Skywalker, the one i LEAST wanted of course :(

So i ended up not getting him and waiting.. still looks creepy to me.

Yes, they're all solid and have a certain heft to them. Of what's available now, I'd recommend getting the Pet Shop. You're in trouble, you have no idea how far this rabbit hole goes.

It only goes 10 buildings deep. Out of which four can be bought for less than $200 and the rest, well...

I'd still say that the only really essential older modular is Green Grocer. If you somehow get that and then Pet Shop, Parisian Restaurant and Detective's Office, you're doing fine.

It only goes 10 buildings deep. Out of which four can be bought for less than $200 and the rest, well...

I'd still say that the only really essential older modular is Green Grocer. If you somehow get that and then Pet Shop, Parisian Restaurant and Detective's Office, you're doing fine.

Fire brigade am cry.

MXRider

Just got back from a store where surprisingly, they had Constraction for sale already!

Thought they were only due for Sept. sometime? Anyway all they had left was a Luke Skywalker, the one i LEAST wanted of course :(

What store?

ghostmind

Yeah, I knew I shouldn't trust my LEGO store guy when he said late September.

Hearing other reports of them starting to show up shelves.

Looks like another addition to my Force Friday list, unless they show up on S@H tonight.

TheFuzz

Went by a Walgreens just now. They had CMF series 14. When I went to the register, they didn't have a price in the scanner but they rang them as .99 a piece. They had 6 in stock and I bought them all when I was told the price. I believe someone on CAG reported a similar case, so I'd check Walgreens if you're near one.

ghostmind

Whew, finished it!

My top set for 2014, and for good reason.

You cannot go wrong with picking up the rest of the available modulars, though some are not as spectacular as this one. If you've got the cash (and the room), I would recommend picking up the OOP Town Hall, Fire Brigade, and Grand Emporium, in that order.

Osahi

Does the online lego shop update at midnight? Curious if wall e will be available tomorrow. The page still sais 1 september...

Debating on whether I should get wall E now or wait until they released the revised version. Do we know when the new version is gonna be out? I don't want to be waiting months
Yeah, I knew I shouldn't trust my LEGO store guy when he said late September.

Hearing other reports of them starting to show up shelves.

Looks like another addition to my Force Friday list, unless they show up on S@H tonight.

Huh, interesting. I might just skip wall E for now and get darth Vader if that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom