• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how is Palace Cinema? Obviously Parisian Cafe is stunning.

I love it, though I love movies and was always going to love it. It looks fantastic.

I haven't built mine, but people said it's an ordinary build since it was designed by Astrid.

Anyone else going to sign up for the GAF Secret Santa? I'll be doing for the first time this year.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=911450

I joined up for the first time too. I'm interested to see how it goes.

Wait... you're telling me that it's worse than the town hall?!
Town Hall had that awesome roof and imposing structure to tie it all together.

Sure, Palace Cinema looks nice when done, but as a build it is lacking. Well, compared to other modulars it is. If it were a regular set it would stand out more, but in the company of the other buildings it is not as good.

NeoZylom

Helps if we know a little more about you. What's you SSN, birthdate, CC number, etc?
Just kidding about that, but your interests and which themes you don't like would help narrow down recommendations.

I don't hate/like a particular theme. I just love when it's recognizable set. So I am not that much into Chima or Ninjago stuff.

ghostmind

d30ojkP.jpg

Ryuuroden

What modular is the best that is currently still in production?

Parisian Restaurant wins that award hands down. In my opinion, its the best modular in the entire series retired or still in production.

EDIT: Comment on Orthanc; spent the entire day when I had free time, messing around trying to get the cheese slope mosaic right for my Palantir room. I actually had to dismantle and rebuild some stuff. Finally actually working them into the actual floor after building many test builds on separate plates. Easily spent around 6-7 hours on it today. We shall see if I get far enough to take a picture of it tomorrow.

Oh wow, yeah. Parisian restaurant is great! Totally begging my mom to get me that for Christmas. (Yes, I'm 19. But whatever)

Are there really that many shades of grey in Lego?

It's probably the poor color quality control. That gives at least 2 if not more shades for every color LEGO makes. Can you tell it annoys me that LEGO is a premium product with a premium price, yet they can't keep the colors more consistent?

Joking aside, I'd like to know about the colors too. If they are using older bricks with older color palettes they may have that many color variations.

It's probably the poor color quality control. That gives at least 2 if not more shades for every color LEGO makes. Can you tell it annoys me that LEGO is a premium product with a premium price, yet they can't keep the colors more consistent?

Joking aside, I'd like to know about the colors too. If they are using older bricks with older color palettes they may have that many color variations.

I have a Lego Mosaic set. It has three distinct shades of grey in addition to black and white. Not really sure how they compare to modern LBG and DBG.

Rootbeer

Banned
1980s Something Falcon ordered... in black!

I gave serious thought into getting it in blue, or simply getting both. I hope the quality of their Ts will withstand years of conventions because it's going to get plenty of use.

rataven

Wow, OT4 already! AMAZING OP, and I'm not just saying that. I had to pull out of LEGO for a couple months while going through a home purchase, and now that that's all settled, I'm playing catch up. The OP is HUGELY helpful, so thanks a ton Phon.

So far, I'm two orders in with SaH, and waiting on a few more things from Amazon. Santa's Workshop arrived today and I'm tempted to start in with rebuilding my Winter Village but don't want to jump the gun too much and knock out the wintery fun just yet. So might work on a Monster Fighters display instead. I've still never build the Haunted House.

Only just got caught up on the new thread. Great job Mr Bone. Hopefully it brings in some new people. The more the merrier.

So I've put my double VIP month order in. I picked up the palace cinema and the Parisian restaurant. I now have all the street modular starting from the fire brigade. It gives me a warm glow inside to know I'm up to date (well as much as I ever will be).

I also picked up the winter post office for £123, including postage, which I was pretty Damn happy with. I'm now only needing to pick the winter toy shop and Santa's workshop. The latter I'll pick up next month so I can pick up the second limited edition set.

I decided to leave the Tumbler till next year's double VIP as I've already spent more than I should.

I'm currently trying to build the iron man 3 malibu mansion and then the hall of Armour. It's my first moc though and I must admit it's seems quite fidly trying to find out which spare bricks I have and which I need to buy.

I'm also moving all my minifigs to one blu ray cabinet and rearranging my vehicles and buildings to create some more space. I'm also going to go through the pain of dismantle some of the sets which aren't my favorites. There will be tears haha

scilego

Neo Member
Hey guys. I've been lurking since OT2. Finally got a question for ya.

We live in Boston, so space is precious. I've been keeping the sets I've built in a semi broken down state in their original boxes - but with the SD, Parisian, Spaceship x3, Falcon, UCS Xwing and Bwing, plus countless smaller sets - I'm now out of room. I already have a 20gal tub stuffed with loose bricks, and two more with disassembled sets in ziplock bags, with the boxes broken down and stored flat.

I think that's the way I'll go, but I figured I'd ask you guys - how do you store your collection?
(Plus I'll have sets I haven't opened, and likely won't, that I'll have to deal with)

Zerojul

I also picked up the winter post office for £123, including postage, which I was pretty Damn happy with. I'm now only needing to pick the winter toy shop and Santa's workshop. The latter I'll pick up next month so I can pick up the second limited edition set.
Don't wait too long to get that toy shop, man. The lowest european price on BL for it at the moment is already 20€ more expensive than when I got mine, and it was like less than a month ago... I don't think it will get any cheaper... In fact I have the feeling that those Winter sets are getting more expensive by the minute as Christmas is nearing (obviously).
But it's a damn fine theme and I'm really happy I got them all :)

R-User!

Hey guys. I've been lurking since OT2. Finally got a question for ya.

We live in Boston, so space is precious. I've been keeping the sets I've built in a semi broken down state in their original boxes - but with the SD, Parisian, Spaceship x3, Falcon, UCS Xwing and Bwing, plus countless smaller sets - I'm now out of room. I already have a 20gal tub stuffed with loose bricks, and two more with disassembled sets in ziplock bags, with the boxes broken down and stored flat.

I think that's the way I'll go, but I figured I'd ask you guys - how do you store your collection?
(Plus I'll have sets I haven't opened, and likely won't, that I'll have to deal with)

I use a little of everything to store my LEGO:

Shoebox bins with ziploc bags

Briefcase Sortmasters

39 Pull-out drawers cases

Big 54 quart Tubs with built sets for seasonal display.

The Works.

Just got back from a trip to New York.

Of course they were sold out of the Ghostbusters set I had intended on picking up.

I did get the Snowman x 2, the Reindeer and the Empire State Building Architecture set though, so it was still a good visit. Still looking for the CMF Series 12 Wizard, but no luck.

I did find the Batwing poly bag and a Statue of Liberty poly bag at FAO Schwartz. Which was a nice surprise.

Still no sign of my Amaro Slimer fig but hopefully it shows up before Halloween.

Ponn

Banned
AWD has a SSD for $670 if anyone is interested. i love how they pull that shit and mark something as damaged on oop items just so they can mark the shit up instead of charging msrp.

i saw something on Troy Baker's twitter about a Lego Batman special on CN on the 27th

Don't wait too long to get that toy shop, man. The lowest european price on BL for it at the moment is already 20€ more expensive than when I got mine, and it was like less than a month ago... I don't think it will get any cheaper... In fact I have the feeling that those Winter sets are getting more expensive by the minute as Christmas is nearing (obviously).
But it's a damn fine theme and I'm really happy I got them all :)

I know. I'm wondering whether I should chance my arm and wait until the middle of next year when the Christmas sets seem to be at their cheapest. Then again with Lego's rise in popularity and the age of the set it might not happen. £140 plus postage is the cheapest at the moment but it has gone cheaper on eBay.

I won't actually be building the sets until me and my girlfriend move into a house in a few years. Crazy I know!

Ponn

Banned
I know the Quinjet's got a lot of love her, but which ship is better, it or the Milano?

Love both franchises!

That's a tough one for me because I love GoTG more than Avengers. Technically Quinjet is probably the better set plus its going oop and getting hard to find so if you are looking to buy one or the other Quinjet should be priority. I would overall have to go with LegoGAF's motto though...

Why not both?!

theaface

I'm building the Parisian Restaurant at the moment (just the last book to go), and I can confirm that it's a stunning set. The attention to detail on the interior really elevates it above other modulars.

Finished with the Quinjet, took me a bit longer than the movie, Overall a pretty cool build with lots of neat details, and it looks really good when completed. However, after building Benny's SSS, this is very much less impressive.

Also, rewatching the movie reminded me that the Quinjet was kind of useless. They bring it into battle and boom, shot down. It actually had a more prominent role in Winter Soldier, but again, brought down by a puny human.

I guess that's the main problem with a movie about people with super powers. It makes for rather silly builds.

Oh well, I will make it fit into my city somehow. It will probably be a staging ground for tons of figures.

Finished with the Quinjet, took me a bit longer than the movie, Overall a pretty cool build with lots of neat details, and it looks really good when completed. However, after building Benny's SSS, this is very much less impressive.

Also, rewatching the movie reminded me that the Quinjet was kind of useless. They bring it into battle and boom, shot down. It actually had a more prominent role in Winter Soldier, but again, brought down by a puny human.

I guess that's the main problem with a movie about people with super powers. It makes for rather silly builds.

Oh well, I will make it fit into my city somehow. It will probably be a staging ground for tons of figures.

Brought down by a super soldier is what you mean. Cap is much more than a puny human.

He's obviously not anywhere near the big three, at least in the MCU. He's better than Black Widow and Hawkeye, obviously. It's like the Metal Gear Ray - here's this super cool military weapon... oh, someone scrapped it.

Either way, I'm looking at Hulk and he's terribly overprized, as I expected. I'm fine with the purple pants version, but it seems that everyone buys that set to sell off the figures separately for much more. And I'm not really interested in Falcon/Taskmaster/MODOK/ comic Thor). Oh, and local price = $100 as it's one of those crazy mid-size ones.

Might have to crack and buy him alone for about $20. I'm just not sure that I need him that much.

He's obviously not anywhere near the big three, at least in the MCU. He's better than Black Widow and Hawkeye, obviously. It's like the Metal Gear Ray - here's this super cool military weapon... oh, someone scrapped it.

Either way, I'm looking at Hulk and he's terribly overprized, as I expected. I'm fine with the purple pants version, but it seems that everyone buys that set to sell off the figures separately for much more. And I'm not really interested in Falcon/Taskmaster/MODOK/ comic Thor). Oh, and local price = $100 as it's one of those crazy mid-size ones.

Might have to crack and buy him alone for about $20. I'm just not sure that I need him that much.

Just wait for Age of Ultron. He will be in another set next year most likely.

Ryuuroden

Yeah, watching Winter Soldier always makes me regret never picking up the Quinjet.

Yeah, I wish I had gotten this set but I was pretty steadfast at the time that I was going to stay out of the superhero theme. I wish I had gotten that set because it looks pretty cool and I would of liked those minifigs. I wouldn't mind having some superhero minfigs for scene building in my city.

I'm building the Parisian Restaurant at the moment (just the last book to go), and I can confirm that it's a stunning set. The attention to detail on the interior really elevates it above other modulars.

Yay, another person infected by the Parisian Restaurant. The exterior is nothing to sneeze at either. It has a lot of colorful details.

Swung by the Lego store last night. Been close to 3/4 a year since I've been able to and half a year since I've been able to start buying Lego sets again.

Picked up the Witch King set that I have yet to open. I noticed it's built to connect to the other Dol Guldor sets of last year (Dol Guldor + Bjeorn sets). Pretty glad it does as I have both those sets. Cool also to see later releases that are built for older sets :D

I also got a tall PAB cup mostly full of brown 2x4, 2x3, and 2x1 bricks as well as loading up on clear white and blue trans circular 1x1 studs for water. I'm building a cabin for my figs freehand without much thought but might do a rehaul with my new parts. It looks like it may turn into a two floor unit.

Got CMF video game guy, wizard, and space driller.

It's also the first time I've earned VIP credit :D pretty excited about it since I'm one of the few here with a smaller set budget mindset.

Next set on the list to get is the mos eisley cantina. Mostly grabbing it for Sandtrooper, Dewback <3, and greedo.

ghostmind

Three more Star Wars sets from the 2015 1H line-up:

7PBCrpi.jpg

u7N4e72.jpg

UW3iFJZ.jpg

First, I love that they are doing the Clone Wars figures with the standard LEGO faces, but on the other hand WHY COULDN"T THEY HAVE DONE THIS FOR THE LAST 7 YEARS?!?

Ok, rant over.

My god. It was my most anticipated set of the year, and it exceeded my expectations.

I had a stupid grin on my face the entire time, and swooshed it multiple times throughout the build. Once complete, I had to swoosh more.

So many classic touches that filled me with childhood nostalgia. This set better be selling gangbusters and telling LEGO we need MORE!

I still have a stupid grin on my face from building it.

What set? What else?

tumblr_n1p68eOfYx1rqokqso1_500.gif

My god. It was my most anticipated set of the year, and it exceeded my expectations.

I had a stupid grin on my face the entire time, and swooshed it multiple times throughout the build. Once complete, I had to swoosh more.

So many classic touches that filled me with childhood nostalgia. This set better be selling gangbusters and telling LEGO we need MORE!

I still have a stupid grin on my face from building it.

What set? What else?

tumblr_n1p68eOfYx1rqokqso1_500.gif

So, do you agree that it blows the Quinjet out of the water?

Grabbed the Ghostbusters set today and felt up two series 12 figs. Grabbed the Wizard and Pizza Guy. The two i was going for. It was easier than I thought.

My LEGO shop is nice. They let you open figs there and then you can trade from their trade bin or leave the one you bought in the trade bin and open another. Wish i had known that a long time ago.

Mastermind is running a promo this weekend that offers a free "fig" with a $25 LEGO purchase.

The figs on offer are either a Simpsons CMF or....TC4. Just FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom