• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yup no Balrog is inexcusable. Would have been a big seller.

And all signs point to no new LotR/Hobbit. Anything can happen though? Especially if fans are loud enough... do your part and buy all the Hobbit sets that interest you to show the line still has some life left in it.

or you can buy Orthanc!

before it's gone.

Ponn

Banned
Is this the final wave of Hobbit/LOTR sets or do we think there'll be more? Would defo kill for a Balrog.

There is a Balrog set coming, and a Fell Beast w/ Witch King set with Eowyn and a UCS Minas Tirith set as well. Also a Prancing Pony with pint glasses.

Then I woke up and was sad.

Pick this up yesterday to meet the $75.00 for Bricktober. The set itself is pretty much another Lotr/Hobbits throw away. I don't care much for the elves hairpieces either but the Witch-King makes up for the lackluster set.

Galadriel's cape is the winner here for me. Put it together yesterday.

Still surprised it links up with the older Dol Guldor sets of last year.

ghostmind

788NMFf.png

http://youtu.be/v7ncFQTXi6s

Rootbeer

Banned
Evwrywhere I see it, its $20. I keep thinking of picking it up, but it looks like such a biring build and set as a whole.
along with The Phantom...Yeah, I said it.

Ghost is the $89.99 set though. Phantom is the $24.99 set. Yes, it's a mistake in the ad and apparently some people are getting WM to honor it.

You may have some difficulty but if you are willing to work for your discounts... why not.

No WM near me though.

Caladrius

Finally saw some CM series 12 packs at my Target (which had them at 3 bucks for some reason) a few days ago. I managed to snag 2 Gamers and a Ozzy Osborne Guitarist (felt out, of course). All I need is a lifeguard or 5 and I'm set.

The guitarist's chest is discolored like the Swashbuckler's is. : [

I'm happy I managed to get 2 gamers though. Hopefully the minigifugres sell slowly enough that I can get the lifeguard in the next week or two.

I dunno i mean I got The Ghost as a b-day gift and I think it it's fine for what it is. At least, everybody looks like they'd fit in with the other Star Wars minifigs (minus the stupid Stormtrooper) than had they been Clone Wars styled.

Took some time but I was able to score that set for 25 bucks, not bad I say. Though the WM I went to is already making sure to correct that error.

R-User!

Yes, same thing a lot of the superhero sets suffer from.

I agree that these are probably not real. I can see a bartender happening. It's not like they haven't had alcohol related figures before. I would like to see a 1920s style bartender. I would also love to see some other 1920's style figures. Hopefully the detective agency does that. Also we need a Jules Verne theme.

1920's style bartender?!...

The Shining MOC's incoming...

Syriel

Took some time but I was able to score that set for 25 bucks, not bad I say. Though the WM I went to is already making sure to correct that error.

Yeah, WM has already corrected the website, but if you find a store that has it in stock (and hasn't had anyone try to buy it yet) you shouldn't have any problem with WM honoring the ad as printed.

By tomorrow, all the stores will have either pulled the Ghost from store shelves or will have a sign up noting the misprint.

Random thought:

Do you think the LEGO designers that worked on the movie sets were competing for certain sets to design? Like, were they treating SPACESHIP! like the Glengarry leads?

I dunno i mean I got The Ghost as a b-day gift and I think it it's fine for what it is. At least, everybody looks like they'd fit in with the other Star Wars minifigs (minus the stupid Stormtrooper) than had they been Clone Wars styled.

Can someone explain the lack of love for the rebels stormtroopers?

I'm planning to pick up a bunch of the upcoming battle packs as it's tough to find older ones at a reasonable price.

ghostmind

Can someone explain the lack of love for the rebels stormtroopers?

I'm planning to pick up a bunch of the upcoming battle packs as it's tough to find older ones at a reasonable price.

Mdmsk8l.jpg
sBbObN2.jpg

Left is OT, right is Rebels.

Some folks don't like the "frown-ier face" on the Rebels trooper.

Considering how many Stormtrooper variations we have had over the years, I'm not bothered by the differences.

Mdmsk8l.jpg
sBbObN2.jpg

Considering how many Stormtrooper variations we have had over the years, I'm not bothered by the differences.

Thanks for this. It looks like his head was smoothed in the Death Star trash compactor!

I'll still get a bunch.

Ryuuroden

My newest list of bricks to order from bricklink:

Brick:

1x1 Black Brick (200)
1x2 Black Brick (100)
1x3 Black Brick (50)
1x4 Black Brick (maybe)

BRICK ARCH

-Brick, Arch 1x3 - Black (30)
-Brick, Arch 1x4x2 - Black (20)
-Brick, Arch 1x5x4 - Continuous Bow - Black (60)
-Brick, Arch 1x6x2 - Thick top with Reinforced Underside - Black (10)

BRICK MODIFIED:

-Brick, Modified 1x1 with Headlight - Black (100)
-Brick, Modified 1x1 with Stud on 1 Side - Black (40)
-Brick Modified 1x2 Log - Reddish Brown (40)

SLOPE

-Cheese Slope 1x1 - White (50)
-Cheese Slope 1x1 - Black (50)

SLOPE, INVERTED

-Slope, Inverted 45 2x2 Double Convex (20)

PLATE

-Plate 1x1 - Black (200-300)
-Plate 1x3 - Black (50)
-Plate 1x8 - Black (40)
-Plate 1x10 - Black (30)
-Plate 2x2 Corner - Black - (30)
-Plate 2x3 - Black (20)
-Plate 2x4 - Black (15)
-Plate 2x6 - Black (15)
-Plate 2x8 - Black (15)
-Plate 6x8 - Black (20)
-Plate 6x10 - Black (10)

TILE:

-Tile 2x2 with Groove - Reddish Brown (40)
-Tile 2x4 with Groove - Reddish Brown (30)
-Tile 2x2 with Groove - Dark Bluish Grey (100)
-Tile 1x2 with Groove - Light Bluish Grey (50)
-Tile 1x4 with Groove - Black (50)
-Tile 1x4 with Groove - Dark Bluish Grey (30)

FLAG:

-Flag 7x3 with Rod - Dark Green (10)
-Flag 7x3 with Rod - Dark Blue (10)

TECHNIC, BRICK

-Technic, Brick 1x1 with Hole (200) (cheaper way to replace 1x1 bricks where 2 opposite sides are not visible so I can hide the hole and it will look like a regular brick.)

MINIFIG, WEAPON

-Minifig, Weapon Pike/Spear - Black (20)

WEDGE, PLATE

-Wedge, Plate 3x2 Left (20)
-Wedge, Plate 3x2 Right (20)
-Wedge, Plate 8x8 Cut Corner (20)

CONE:

-Cone 1x1 with Top Groove (40)
-Cone 2x2 x 1 2/3 Octagonal (12)

STAIRS:

-Stairs Spiral Step - Dark Bluish Gray (100)

SLOPE, CURVED

-Slope, Curved 4x1 No Studs (20)

MINIFIG, HEADGEAR ACCESSORY

-Minifig, Plume Feather Triple Compact/Flame/Water - Trans-Orange (100)

List isn't finished yet, I am still doing a count of stuff that I need to resupply. Fun stuff man, fun stuff, now you know why I need to raise war funds.

Mdmsk8l.jpg
sBbObN2.jpg

I like the new one better, I cant unsee a mustache on that old one.

Curious as to what your opinion will be on the Dropship...

Just finished it. Really, really great set. I don't think it beats out SPACESHIP! in my book, but it is still really great. A lot of cool things going on in it, and I like the details throughout like the multitude of lights and guns everywhere. It is like an over the top police car from a sci fi movie, and in all the right ways.

I was a bit disappointed in the thrusters not always lining up, the latch to stop the rappel line is so loose, so the line is always slack, and it does look a bit plain without all of the giant stickers. It still looks good, but not as good as it could. SPACESHIP! would have looked better with the stickers as well, but it still had enough flourishes and printed pieces throughout though.

Overall, worth every penny, but I don't think it would wind up in my top 5 for the year. Top 10 easily though.

Fowler

Mdmsk8l.jpg
sBbObN2.jpg

The blue bit on the helmet bothers me more, to be honest.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well... (from the slickdeals thread above)

This is why we can't have nice things... i bet most of those are going straight to ebay. I hate people.

And the comments...

"Just say its none of your god damn business. Seriously people who ask questions like why did you buy 7 of them make me want to punch them in the face. F-off."

I think I know who needs a punch in the face, and it's not the people he thinks!

This is why we can't have nice things... i bet most of those are going straight to ebay. I hate people.

I was better off not knowing that. I meant to go by WalMart after work but forgot. I bet before work tomorrow all of them will be gone, and not to people that want to build them.

Ugh.

ghostmind

And the comments...

"Just say its none of your god damn business. Seriously people who ask questions like why did you buy 7 of them make me want to punch them in the face. F-off."

I think I know who needs a punch in the face, and it's not the people he thinks!

My response to the scalper:

N4QtBsG.gif

I was buy reorganising parts of my backlog over the weekend... -.-

Also recently someone added a LEGO mural near our work canteen. :D

That is a shocking amount of awesome that you need to build there. What order are you planning? I say start strong with the Sex Wing, then take it up a notch with Quinjet. Then taper off with a Dino set, just for starters. And do a modular every few sets. Spread that love out.

The hardest thing would be which set to end with? Just keep in mind that VW Camper, Tower Bridge, and Imperial Shuttle do not have numbered bags. Those are all or nothing.

EDIT:

And to the guy who bought all those Ghost sets. If he said he was buying them to build a fleet or to make some inane MOC, that might be different. MIGHT. But judging by his reaction I don't think that is the case.

Mdmsk8l.jpg
sBbObN2.jpg

I prefer the OT left one more. I can't unsee the "frown-ier face" after you mentioned it. Also, the right one looks like he needs some sleep with the bags under the eyes. :) I like the sharper look of the eyes on the OT left one too.

I like the new one better, I cant unsee a mustache on that old one.

Dude, the guy on the right has an even funkier mustache!

And the comments...

Most will be speculators/resellers, but with the holidays a few months far off I'd like to think some people buying huge amounts like that are doing it for under-privileged kids, some charity, or being an awesome gift giver at xmas.

My local Walmart said they reserved the right to not honor any errors on the ads. It is actually in the fine print on the flyer. The toy manager was going to honor it for me but the store manager said nope.

Rootbeer

Banned
Most will be speculators/resellers, but with the holidays a few months far off I'd like to think some people buying huge amounts like that are doing it for under-privileged kids, some charity, or being an awesome gift giver at xmas.
You think much better of your fellow man than I do. :p Anyway yeah it was bound to happen. It always does. There have been lots of situations like this mentioned in the LEGO threads since I started following along. It bothers me, but people are going to take advantage of any little error or loophole they can. A part of me feels "It's wal-mart... one of the shadiest retailers there is when it comes to employee rights and fair pay, why should I care?" but anything that could have an impact on LEGO pricing or availability does impact me as well as lots of other well-meaing people so... :/

If I had wal-mart nearby i'd definitely have tried for one. I'd be tempted to get two I suppose given the super low price, but it's unlikely. But clearing them out is just wrong. This wasn't a clearance situation it was a misprint ad.

I might have bought at least one more for someone in the thread but I figured I was pushing it with one, especially when they managers seemed to be so adamant about making sure no one else got in that deal after I bought mine...><

Rootbeer

Banned
I might have bought at least one more for someone in the thread but I figured I was pushing it with one, especially when they managers seemed to be so adamant about making sure no one else got in that deal after I bought mine...><

Congrats to you! The entire reason I posted the link was hoping some people here on GAF could get in on the action and i'm glad some were able to.

That reaction of that store's management does not surprise me, you're lucky you got what you got.

You guys remember the walmart.com pricing debacle from many months ago (almost exactly one year ago, actually)? People were getting tons of expensive items for next to nothing. We're talking HDTVs, monitors, graphics cards... you name it. I think they really cracked down on things like that and probably made some alterations to their protocols to help prevent against it... though clearly it isn't a total blockage as we are seeing in this instance.

ghostmind

Congrats on getting one though!

The only time I buy more than one of a set is if there is an expandability feature by using more than one set (like the Black Gate).

I also tend to buy 2 of each polybag. Not to sell one - no I have this weird quirk with polybags where I buy one to open and one to keep (for what I dunno). If I end up getting more than 2 (often happens with promo sets) then I find opportunities to give them away to friends and family, or for GAF building contests.

Ponn

Banned
It says there are some Ghosts available at my local walmart. I feel like Shikamaru though and just don't want to bother. I don't want to argue with a Walmart manager, they have been known to not price match ads or even their own online website, I would have to bother a friend to take me right up there in the morning and i'm just plain not interested in the set. Even though I do really like the show, the set itself isn't even that interesting to me.

Rootbeer

Banned
So I'm thinking about gift ideas for some family members and I know exactly what will work for a friend of mine's kids

LEGO Minecraft of course!

And i'd be remiss if I didn't buy a set for myself too, not going to miss out on some of the cool new elements they are adding to these.

Found this video which shows off the sets nicely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XWITYt8g1c

JANG is going to be all over these.

But do we actually have a release date? Is it Nov 1st or is it later in Nov?

ElyrionX

Bought the girlfriend the Palace Cinema set for her birthday. It's our first serious Lego purchase. And so it begins......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom