• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponn

Banned
Got my Spider Helicopter. Box is kind of dinged up but not bad, really hate how they don't put instructions in cardboard, them and the sticker were all folded over and curled. I still can't get over even getting it for $10 less msrp it still feels way overpriced for one small bag and two medium bags. I know I know, Green Goblin big fig (crappy ultimate version), MJ and Powerman. I'm just debating sending it back still I guess. The only pieces besides the figs of course i would possibly use are the giant fan propellor things if I decided to do a Final Fantasy airship MOC. Gonna sleep on it.

Has anyone gotten their Lonely Mountains yet? I'm strongly considering that for my BF purchase to get the free winter set and use my vip points on it. Should help ease the sting on the price per piece ratio.

Ravek

Banned
Got my Spider Helicopter. Box is kind of dinged up but not bad, really hate how they don't put instructions in cardboard, them and the sticker were all folded over and curled. I still can't get over even getting it for $10 less msrp it still feels way overpriced for one small bag and two medium bags. I know I know, Green Goblin big fig (crappy ultimate version), MJ and Powerman. I'm just debating sending it back still I guess. The only pieces besides the figs of course i would possibly use are the giant fan propellor things if I decided to do a Final Fantasy airship MOC. Gonna sleep on it.

Has anyone gotten their Lonely Mountains yet? I'm strongly considering that for my BF purchase to get the free winter set and use my vip points on it. Should help ease the sting on the price per piece ratio.

Keep the sets for the minifigs and start building that Airship.
but which games airship is the real question here... ?

Fowler

I don't get it. But I didn't get the SeX-Wing either. The minifigure scale models 9492 and 9493 already make great display pieces. And have a pretty decent size. A UCS TIE is just gonna be three to four times the size I'd very much prefer a new UCS Falcon with interior. Or a C-3PO to go along my R2.

As someone who built the UCS X-Wing... it's really, really good. I get what you mean about the minifig-scale model being "good enough"; I've built that too and it's great. But the big one has an awesome mechanism for the S-foils that probably takes up more pieces than the entirety of the other set, and it's a great build.

The trouble with the UCS TIE is that it probably won't have anything that interesting, and indeed a good third of the build will be repetition because of the two massive wings.

But who am I kidding? I'm going to get it to put it next to the X-Wing. :)

As someone who built the UCS X-Wing... it's really, really good. I get what you mean about the minifig-scale model being "good enough"; I've built that too and it's great. But the big one has an awesome mechanism for the S-foils that probably takes up more pieces than the entirety of the other set, and it's a great build.

The trouble with the UCS TIE is that it probably won't have anything that interesting, and indeed a good third of the build will be repetition because of the two massive wings.

But who am I kidding? I'm going to get it to put it next to the X-Wing. :)
The real reason we need it now. UCS dogfight display. Maybe build some lasers shooting out of one.

Haven't seen or played the game, but this is a cool version of the Batmobile.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/82012

1626679-o_193lag0di1ivaf6r16mg0ea57c-full.jpg

Built the Ghost set...the ship is pretty darn bulky but it has a unique look to it and it seems to fit in with the post Revenge of the Sith scene. Wouldn't mind getting the Phantom to combine with it. And thank goodness the minifig head pieces are terrifying beyond belief like Clone Wars often was.

Rootbeer

Banned
tiggerkiddo, did your Ghost come with the show-accurate Kanan? If yes he should have brown hair both for his head and his beard. :) If it's black, you got the earlier version which is still boss.

After some deliberating I subbed to brickloot for 3 months. Note, you can get 10% off your sub regardless of rather you pick the 1, 3 or 6 month period. Find out how in this article. They are also holding an unboxing competition where they have a pile of really nice LEGO sets they will give away to one of the unboxers, if that interests you. I think this only applies to the first month's box.

I figured 3 months was safer in case it gets cancelled before 6 months... I hope that doesn't happen but we'll see. I really do wish them the best. Otherwise I wouldn't have given them my money! :p

You guys should check it out. Once again they confirmed every box will come with a unique LEGO build using real LEGO bricks. It will also come with other LEGO-compatible products, a t-shirt probably, and whatever else they come up with.

After being intrigued by lootcrate and similar subscription boxes but not really interested in the contents, I think I owe it to myself to try this one.

The first proper edition of Bricks magazine comes out in the UK this Thursday. You can still subscribe at the website and you get a free minifig of the editor. A bit strange but I never turn down a free minifig haha.

I hope the quality is up there with the 'zero' edition. The paper quality was top notch and really showed of the great photos. I can't imagine it will have as much content though as it will be releasing monthly. The zero edition was stuffed with stuff and going back to it now I've realised I didn't read it all.

Rootbeer

Banned
Do you mean Blocks magazine? Important distinction because Bricks magazine actually exists and it has nothing to do with LEGO

I'd like to subscribe but not at the price they are asking... this always happens with Europe mags, they are always ridiculously expensive compared to american mags for us. I look forward to reading impressions though.

If they want the mag to grow its subscriber rate they need to supplement the cost of the magazine with ads to lower the price. I actually find a lot of the ads in magazines to be pretty interesting and relative to the content (see: gaming mags especially), so it's not even much of a bother.

I would assume that a magazine focused basically on a single brand without being official has a hard time attracting ads. Lego doesn't need to, and why would any other brand bother? Maybe resellers, but is there a specific reseller big enough to do ads? It's not like other toylines where there are multiple semi-big ones.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well that's their mistake right there, if they indeed ONLY cover LEGO and none of the related brands. By simply changing the ratio of coverage to 90% LEGO and 10% other brands and compatible products they would instantly boost their ads potential by a lot.

I'm only in favor of ads to help bring down the price because it makes sense and is of low impact to the reader. I understand some people are going to prefer a mag that has little to NO ads in favor of a more premium experience. But they are cutting out a part of the market by doing so.

I would assume that a magazine focused basically on a single brand without being official has a hard time attracting ads. Lego doesn't need to, and why would any other brand bother? Maybe resellers, but is there a specific reseller big enough to do ads? It's not like other toylines where there are multiple semi-big ones.

Then can create it without ad revenue and focus 100% on Lego. Just charge a higher subscription rate. Games Workshop's Magazine "White Dwarf" has never had an outside ad. It's all 100% about GW products. It's devoted 100% to their own products. The recently went to a weekly release schedule.

I would strongly consider buying a digital Lego magazine.

Do you mean Blocks magazine? Important distinction because Bricks magazine actually exists and it has nothing to do with LEGO

I'd like to subscribe but not at the price they are asking... this always happens with Europe mags, they are always ridiculously expensive compared to american mags for us. I look forward to reading impressions though.

If they want the mag to grow its subscriber rate they need to supplement the cost of the magazine with ads to lower the price. I actually find a lot of the ads in magazines to be pretty interesting and relative to the content (see: gaming mags especially), so it's not even much of a bother.

Haha yeah I do mean blocks. Silly me.

To be honest I think £5 a month for a high quality, niche, magazine is a pretty good price. If you're in mainland Europe though it's more expensive, isn't it? I personally prefer a mag full of the content and not ads. For me it actually then just seems more like a book and just gives it more character. Just my opinion though.

You've got to remember this is just a a bunch of enthusiasts that have got together to create a magazine for people like them as there isn't one currently. They aren't a business. To run a mag on ads would mean they have to actually employ staff to go out there and find the ads and buy them, solicitors would surely then be involved and a whole lot more people who aren't Lego enthusiasms.

Who would want to deal with all that?

Then can create it without ad revenue and focus 100% on Lego. Just charge a higher subscription rate. Games Workshop's Magazine "White Dwarf" has never had an outside ad. It's all 100% about GW products. It's devoted 100% to their own products. The recently went to a weekly release schedule.

I would strongly consider buying a digital Lego magazine.

That's exactly what blocks is, 100% Lego and nothing else.

neonglow

tiggerkiddo, did your Ghost come with the show-accurate Kanan? If yes he should have brown hair both for his head and his beard. :) If it's black, you got the earlier version which is still boss.

After some deliberating I subbed to brickloot for 3 months. Note, you can get 10% off your sub regardless of rather you pick the 1, 3 or 6 month period. Find out how in this article. They are also holding an unboxing competition where they have a pile of really nice LEGO sets they will give away to one of the unboxers, if that interests you. I think this only applies to the first month's box.

I figured 3 months was safer in case it gets cancelled before 6 months... I hope that doesn't happen but we'll see. I really do wish them the best. Otherwise I wouldn't have given them my money! :p

You guys should check it out. Once again they confirmed every box will come with a unique LEGO build using real LEGO bricks. It will also come with other LEGO-compatible products, a t-shirt probably, and whatever else they come up with.

After being intrigued by lootcrate and similar subscription boxes but not really interested in the contents, I think I owe it to myself to try this one.

Reading the comments, it seems brickloot is run by a bunch of amateurs. They had used the word LEGOS so not sure they are that knowledgeable about LEGO. Seems to be a family run operation. I'll wait until unboxing videos show up before considering it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yes, I saw the 'LEGOS' snafu as well. It's an embarrassment for sure but I don't expect everyone on their team to know better. I'm trying to give them some benefit of the doubt there. I've seen plenty of LEGO fans say it. Even if they know better it could slip out sometimes, particularly in writing.

Have you looks at Brickstore? I use Ldraw and can import then convert into Bricklink XML. Worth looking as it should work for LDD too.

Sweet, that worked.

It's telling me certain parts don't exist even though they appear in the default LDD parts. I guess I'll have to manually search for those pieces.

Yes, I saw the 'LEGOS' snafu as well. It's an embarrassment for sure but I don't expect everyone on their team to know better. I'm trying to give them some benefit of the doubt there. I've seen plenty of LEGO fans say it. Even if they know better it could slip out sometimes, particularly in writing.

Or individuals could be willfully ignoring the grammar guidelines. I'm pretty sure I've done that once or twice to "legos."

Sweet, that worked.

It's telling me certain parts don't exist even though they appear in the default LDD parts. I guess I'll have to manually search for those pieces.

I get that too but you can click fix then manually find it, sometimes its when a part has been changed in some small way so a substitute should be easy.

Reading the comments, it seems brickloot is run by a bunch of amateurs. They had used the word LEGOS so not sure they are that knowledgeable about LEGO. Seems to be a family run operation. I'll wait until unboxing videos show up before considering it.

What's the other big one, Brick Journal maybe? I bought one issue and was surprised at how amateur it was. I think I posted a while back that there were even a few <insert name here> references left in the printed text.

Totally understand that it's an enthusiast magazine and all, but people should be aware as it's pretty expensive ($15 CDN)

Kyari

Build-a-fig station at my local store had glow in the dark ghosts in their headpiece section, so I have picked a handful of those for my Ghostbusters to fight :D

Also scored a couple more jester minifigures and additionally put the ghost pieces onto the old white/red jester pieces, so now my small army of Joker goons is starting to come together pretty nicely.

I dunno what's wrong with my addiction.

They got new stock of this and I didn't feel a strong need for it. I was planning on getting it. I have all of the Creator Winter Village sets before this one. I think I may pass. There's not much unique in this set except for the horse printing and cloth for the merry-go-around. I do like the dark (blue, green, red) colors they used, but I feel like I could MOC it with my existing collection.

LEGOGAF, is there something wrong with me?

10235-1.jpg

P.S. Don't worry I'm not that bad, I will get the Santa Workshop one for sure.

Whoosh! Another workshop coming, as I put in a PAB order that just barely reached the minimum, and then added a baseplate so I don't need to worry about that from a BL seller.

I feel a bit bad for Lego who will send the workshop and the baseplate separately. It would be totally fine to wait for the combined shipment.

Oh I forgot. They got some Exo-suits and Research Institutes in at my LEGO store.

Worker said there was a line when store opened. Research Institutes sold out, but there were 6 Exo-suit boxes on the shelf when I got there at lunch time. Seems like Exo-suit supply is getting closer to meeting demand.

Word is they will get under 20 in each main shipment for next few weeks (they get 2 shipments of stock during holidays - 1 during regular season). My store has Tues and Thur shipments. Take with a grain of salt.

They got new stock of this and I didn't feel a strong need for it. I was planning on getting it. I have all of the Creator Winter Village sets before this one. I think I may pass. There's not much unique in this set except for the horse printing and cloth for the merry-go-around. I do like the dark (blue, green, red) colors they used, but I feel like I could MOC it with my existing collection.

I took delivery of this last week with exactly the same mindset. I have the others, I'm not sold on this one, but I kind of need it. So now it's sitting downstairs in a closet knowing nobody loves it but that someone will feel obliged to eventually build it.

I'm kinda hoping it'll turn out to be awesome. Toy shop is my favorite, but the cottage was killer in 2012.

YMMV but at my store, Series 2 Mixels are in the Sale Bin for $3.99 each.

And yeah I heard we got some Research Institutes in today too, really hope there's one left for me when I go in right now :(

LEGO B-wing. The build was fun but the cockpit area is a bit plain looking. Also one of my annoying thing about mini-fig scale Star Wars ships is that they often lack the landing gears or stand. Love the mini-figs in this set especially Ten-num and Grey-Squadron pilot.
Oh, man. I am going to have to get that set just for the pilot aren't i?

LEGO B-wing. The build was fun but the cockpit area is a bit plain looking. Also one of my annoying thing about mini-fig scale Star Wars ships is that they often lack the landing gears or stand. Love the mini-figs in this set especially Ten-num and Grey-Squadron pilot.

The older B-wing 6208 had a nice little stand/loading platform. It's a shame they didn't keep that in the new one.

Do the round stickers on this, the previous b-wing, or the milano bug anyone else? To me they look like round pricing stickers you'd see at a garage sale.

Soooo...I joined bricklink today. This could be bad.

The part I need is only available in Europe, so I need some help with shipping estimates. The seller included a link to a Polish shipping site, but there's no option to translate. The total of my order is $5.70. Does anyone know what I might face in shipping charges? Does the seller invoice me prior and can I back out at that point?

Been re-assembling legos from storage. I opened a bag to find it contained the mirkwood spiders set, and that tiny piece of background decoration from shelob, and the tiny bit of scenery from the monster fighters swamp monster set. I actually built the mirkwood spiders set, and then used the loose pieces from the other two to augment the scenery in it. Turned out pretty crappy, but it was fun. The swamp monster is currently embedded in the wall, held in place by a vine, looking as if one of the spiders kicked his ass and sent him flying.

The CMF Black Knight was in the bag too, and now he's standing under one of the trees, wearing his best Dark Souls face as he stares down the spiders.

10235-1.jpg

You should buy one just for the thrill of shopping and have it delivered to me. All in the spirit of christmas.

Ponn

Banned
Keep the sets for the minifigs and start building that Airship.
but which games airship is the real question here... ?

Thanks, my laziness got the best of me and I just decided screw it and took the mini figs out. Don't know if I will bother assembling the copter though.

And the airship depends. If I ever get something like the Sea Cow then maybe something along the lines from FFIX but if I have like say something simpler like the LoTR Pirate Ambush then probably just a Red Wing from FF IV. No matter what it would end up having personal touches and I like the more steampunk feel.

Hell yes I just got the Ghost for $20!!! From that slickdeals thing posted earlier.

Went to the first walmart in town, they were fresh out of the things. Went to the second, took it to the cashier and she was confused and had to call a manager. Manager came down and was shaking her head and called up to her bosses and was saying there was a "big boo-boo". She personally ringed me up and said that her son doesn't even like Lego that much but at that price might as well. As I was leaving she was talking to the other employees saying how big of a mess up it is.

Absolutely awesome deal.

Also, funny story my gf has been hounding me to post. Other night we are about to go to bed, shut off the lights and all that when all of a sudden she freaks out in bed and is pointing to the far corner. I look over and see this green glowing thing. Neither of us can figure out what it is and we are both pretty spooked until I turn on the light and we see it's the darn claws from the werewolf in the monster fighters set . Seriously had us freaking out for a bit. They haven't really glowed like that before.

Ponn

Banned
Also, funny story my gf has been hounding me to post. Other night we are about to go to bed, shut off the lights and all that when all of a sudden she freaks out in bed and is pointing to the far corner. I look over and see this green glowing thing. Neither of us can figure out what it is and we are both pretty spooked until I turn on the light and we see it's the darn claws from the werewolf in the monster fighters set . Seriously had us freaking out for a bit. They haven't really glowed like that before.

Haha, thats awesome. If that spooked you then you should get the Ghost Train. That thing has alot of glow in the dark and stays lit for quite awhile. Plus that grinning face on the train looks cool. The vampyre castle also has quite a few glow in the dark pieces but if I remember right some of the later sets had the glow in the dark stickers replaced with non-glow in the dark.

You know what screw it, PSA ITS HALLOWEEN EVERYONE BUY ALL THE MONSTER FIGHTER SETS YOU CAN FIND!

Ryuuroden

Soooo...I joined bricklink today. This could be bad.

The part I need is only available in Europe, so I need some help with shipping estimates. The seller included a link to a Polish shipping site, but there's no option to translate. The total of my order is $5.70. Does anyone know what I might face in shipping charges? Does the seller invoice me prior and can I back out at that point?

No, once you submit your order you can't back out. That's just being shitty and will blackmark your account.

Haha, thats awesome. If that spooked you then you should get the Ghost Train. That thing has alot of glow in the dark and stays lit for quite awhile. Plus that grinning face on the train looks cool. The vampyre castle also has quite a few glow in the dark pieces but if I remember right some of the later sets had the glow in the dark stickers replaced with non-glow in the dark.

You know what screw it, PSA ITS HALLOWEEN EVERYONE BUY ALL THE MONSTER FIGHTER SETS YOU CAN FIND!

BUT THE ASSHOLES HAD TO LET HAUNTED HOUSE GO OUT OF PRINT TOO EARLY. I WAITED TO BUY IT FOR THE HALLOWEEN SEASON AND THEN IT DIDN'T EXIST ANY MORE.

I already have all the others besides the hearse and ghost train, neither of which I want.

No, once you submit your order you can't back out. That's just being shitty and will blackmark your account.

Yeah don't want that to happen. I messaged the seller and asked for a rough estimate. It's only 5 parts so it shouldn't be that much. I don't want to commit to blindly paying a huge shipping charge.

I took delivery of this last week with exactly the same mindset. I have the others, I'm not sold on this one, but I kind of need it. So now it's sitting downstairs in a closet knowing nobody loves it but that someone will feel obliged to eventually build it.

I'm kinda hoping it'll turn out to be awesome. Toy shop is my favorite, but the cottage was killer in 2012.

I think I can spend $100 on something better like AT-AT or Star Destroyer. Cantina is calling my name too. If they put it on sale for 20 or 30% I'll get the Winter Village Market set.

You should buy one just for the thrill of shopping and have it delivered to me. All in the spirit of christmas.

I'm not even that nice with my kids!

Hell yes I just got the Ghost for $20!!! From that slickdeals thing posted earlier.

Went to the first walmart in town, they were fresh out of the things. Went to the second, took it to the cashier and she was confused and had to call a manager. Manager came down and was shaking her head and called up to her bosses and was saying there was a "big boo-boo". She personally ringed me up and said that her son doesn't even like Lego that much but at that price might as well. As I was leaving she was talking to the other employees saying how big of a mess up it is.

Absolutely awesome deal.

Haha! You know what you have to do now. Put the glow in the dark claws with werewolf minifig in different places around the house where it can be seen when the lights are turned off. She'll like that. Attach it to the ceiling over the bed.

ghostmind

jas55Sz.gif

CANADIANS

Starting this Friday, TRU has the final week of Bricktober - with free Rocket Raccoon polybag for LEGO purchases of $30 or more!!!

iPEHkdn.jpg

I'll post a better image when one becomes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom