• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tendo

I was able to resist the arctic sets. I only have one tiny divers set for an octupus. But dangit a volcano will break me.

I'll have to MOC it to easily pull triple duty as Mount Doom, a mad scientist HQ, and something more vampyre castle compatible. Hmm.

Wait. Isn't there also a villain volcano base in the pipeline for Nexo knights? Why is 2016 the year of volcanos?

I have no clue, but I am very OK with that!

I'm a science teacher so I have some of the more sciency bits on my desk. Space shuttle build, birds, and some of the arctic pieces. Gotta keep adding to it!

I'm a science teacher so I have some of the more sciency bits on my desk. Space shuttle build, birds, and some of the arctic pieces. Gotta keep adding to it!
Oh, man. If only you could hunt down Research Institute for a good price.

Ryuuroden

I couldn't agree more. Man, we are really on the same wavelength here. "Stop looking" with our eyes is a fantastic idea. Instead, it's time to start using our brains to get to the bottom of this mystery once and for all. Like, what year are the movie posters on the Palace Cinema imitating? Is the open top limo a crude rendition of a 1940's limo? The child star is a clue as well, since that was a thing in the 40's. Oh, and the toys in the Grand Emporium. There isn't a single "modern" toy in the bunch! Man, you've given me a lot to research and think about!

I'll continue to post about all the clues that are hidden away in each new modular as they're released. We'll crack this nut yet.

Surly the Bank is set in the 16th century because the banker is sealing a letter with a wax (granted, sealing wax is still used for ceremonial purposes even today)

In actuality, I don't place any of the sets in any period because they are full of historical anachronisms which I think is awesome.

It's too bad that disc shooter wasn't around for the TMNT theme. They could be shooting pizzas. Or was the piece around then?

Would have taken more than a disc shooter to save the TMNT theme. I blame the cartoon designs for most of the crappy sets they had. Minifigs were awesome. Anyway, you can shoot pizzas now!

I checked after that post. it's listed on brickset and IIRC their leaks of upcoming set names and numbers are pretty great.

I guess if I really am getting two volcanoes this year I'll have something of a mountain range on our lego table soon, with the volcanoes flanking silver mine shootout.

Gazunta

Subscribing as I've decided to really take on LEGO as a relaxation hobby in 2016. I spent a good chunk of the holidays assembling The Simpsons House I got for a birthday recently, and I have a quarter of the Star Wars Death Star built in the studio which desperately needs a clean before I can get back to building it. After that I have an unopened Ewok Village to put together and I can't wait :)

Good grief I know people were saying the minifigs that come with the Simpsons House were horrid but man I was not prepared for how much I hate them. What the hell is up with those lazy stoned expressions on Homer, Bart and Marge? I grabbed some random blind pack Simpsons minifigs and have replaced Bart with Bartman (I like the idea of him on a skateboard trying out tricks outside anyway) and have a couple of Maggies now, and now Ralph and Nelson are hanging out. So far all I've built of the house is the car and half of the garage. The car is surprisingly cool! That was a lot of fun to piece together.

Anyone here read Bricks magazine? I picked up a copy randomly the other week and loved it. It was funny to me how much reading a LEGO magazine was like reading a games magazine :)

Just finished The King's Mech. Damn, that was a really cool set. Different enough from the other mech builds out there, and still a lot of fun. Whomever first coined the phrase in this thread for The King's Jaeger was totally on point.

Hunt this down while it is still out there, people. $30 Walmart or LEGO Store exclusive, and worth every penny.

I guess i'll make a trip to the LEGO Store tomorrow to get the King's mech and hopefully get a Nexo intro pack if they haven't run out yet.

Fowler

Subscribing as I've decided to really take on LEGO as a relaxation hobby in 2016. I spent a good chunk of the holidays assembling The Simpsons House I got for a birthday recently, and I have a quarter of the Star Wars Death Star built in the studio which desperately needs a clean before I can get back to building it. After that I have an unopened Ewok Village to put together and I can't wait :)

Good grief I know people were saying the minifigs that come with the Simpsons House were horrid but man I was not prepared for how much I hate them. What the hell is up with those lazy stoned expressions on Homer, Bart and Marge? I grabbed some random blind pack Simpsons minifigs and have replaced Bart with Bartman (I like the idea of him on a skateboard trying out tricks outside anyway) and have a couple of Maggies now, and now Ralph and Nelson are hanging out. So far all I've built of the house is the car and half of the garage. The car is surprisingly cool! That was a lot of fun to piece together.

Anyone here read Bricks magazine? I picked up a copy randomly the other week and loved it. It was funny to me how much reading a LEGO magazine was like reading a games magazine :)

JOIN US GAZ!!

The Death Star is so good. Beast of a set.

Welcome! And it seems you are off to a great start already. Best Star and Ewok Village in particular.
Don't worry, we will do our best to convince you to buy more stuff.

My backlog has gotten a tad silly so I decided to go back to and actually build sets instead of buying them and just sticking them in my closet, it was actually quite relaxing to do. A novel idea, opening up those sets and actually building them!

Impulsor

Progress on the Helicarrier:

http://imgur.com/a/XgPDU

Not so much since I got home late yesterday from work, just built the stand and the little shield thingy for the minifigs. Will be using that for the OG Avengers team and will put Nick Fury and Maria hill in the Hydra Showdown set or whatever, in the Shield jeep, or maybe Ill fit them into the shield stand, idk, will see when I'm finished.

The Hulkbuster + Hydra Showdown sets will arrive today so yeah, by tomorrow I wanna have it all finished.

So cool.

Expected ship date of Jan 11 on LEGO Shop @ Home for all EXCEPT Walmart Exclusive Raptor Escape. My guess is all inventory when to Walmart.

You can add to bag now too! Jump on it whoever wants them!

EDIT: Indominus Rex ship date is later than 1/11.

EDIT 2: Ooops. Region was UK for above screenshot for some reason. This is US region:

This just shows how strange the pricing difference between the US and Europe is. In what world does 40$ translate to 40£? That is insane. Xe.com says 40 pounds translates to 58 dollar. Quite a markup. You would almost think that Lego was an American conpany.

That T-Rex for 70 dollar is a steal, but in my country it is 90 euro, which translates to 97 dollar. So a markup of 27 dollar. Sometimes it takes the fun out of it.

Osahi

This just shows how strange the pricing difference between the US and Europe is. In what world does 40$ translate to 40£? That is insane. Xe.com says 40 pounds translates to 58 dollar. Quite a markup. You would almost think that Lego was an American conpany.

That T-Rex for 70 dollar is a steal, but in my country it is 90 euro, which translates to 97 dollar. So a markup of 27 dollar. Sometimes it takes the fun out of it.

Yeah it is crazy. Now the dollar is again close in value to the euro it is still crazy, but a while back it was a lot worse. And I live in Belgium, were prices compared to other countries are even more inflated (Brick Bank is 170 euro's here, in France 160, in Germany 150!)

I blame it on taxes, but maybe also on the fact that American bricks are made in Mexico, and European in Czech and Denmark, which probably means higher production costs

wetwired

Sorry about your wallet :p

I got a couple of issues of bricks early on but it wasn't for me, I've heard it's gotten much better though so maybe I should try again

Rootbeer

Banned
Target corrected the pricing error on the Takodana set and the Jestro set. Congrats to anyone who snagged one (like me!)

Discounted TIE Advanced Prototype back in stock for shipping. Use your RED Card!

http://www.target.com/p/lego-star-wars-tie-advanced-prototype-75082/-/A-16752353

Also, this was not listed for sale on the site earlier but now it is. $10 off MSRP

Nexo Knights Jestro's Evil Mobile 70316 - $49.99

If you want to get the Battle of Takodana for $10 off, keep your eyes on this link or find one in stores:
http://www.target.com/p/lego-star-wars-battle-on-takodana-75139/-/A-49119147

Ryuuroden

Finished the brick bank. It is a great set with lots of neat little details. There are no really ground breaking techniques but it is packed with different facade decoration ideas just like the detective office. It is absolutely full of useful pieces which I will be looking to bricklink to get more of as well as planning on buying the usual 2nd set. Honestly though I have not felt the need to buy a 2nd set or more since the set prior to Parisian restaurant which just shows how complete the last 3 sets are.

I still would rank the brick bank below both the detective office and Parisian restaurant, with the detective office being the most fun build that really never had a unninteresting build section.

For me, I most appreciate the new parts, prints, and colors in the bank. The best thing the bank brings besides that is lots of facade building ideas for your own mocs and some furniture ideas in the 2nd floor. I really liked the outdoor corner clock.

While not mind blowing, it continues the string of great modulars and is definitely a must buy addition to any modular collection. I think we have been spoiled a bit by how amazing the last 2 sets have been that even a set comparable to them almost can feel like a letdown.

Story: 10/10
techniques: 7/10
Facade ideas: 9/10
Interior: 8.5/10
Enjoyment of build: 8/10
New pieces and old pieces in New colors: 10/10
Usefulness for parts: the usual 10/10

For some comparison my new rankings for enjoyment of build is now:

1.Detective office
2.Parisian Restaurant
3.Brick Bank
4.Pet shop
5.Green Grocer
6.Fire Brigade
7.Grand Emporium
8.Town Hall
9.Palace Theater

Don't own:
Corner cafe
Market street

Osahi

Got the Lego Star Wars: Small Scenes from a Galaxy photo book today.

Love it. Now I have the itch to start with some basic Lego photography myself, but I'll never be able to get stuff as awesome as this (don't have the material for it to start with, let alone the talent)

teeny

Love it. Now I have the itch to start with some basic Lego photography myself, but I'll never be able to get stuff as awesome as this (don't have the material for it to start with, let alone the talent)

Start with what you have and build up from there :) You can get a decentish body and lens relatively cheaply nowadays and if you don't have the cash or requirement for a true macro lens, there are other methods you can employ (magnifying rings, filters, etc) until you decide you want to take the step. Also, take lots of photos and experiment with lighting - it's the only way to develop (pardon the pun). You may think you don't have talent but as you train your eyes, you will naturally pick up compositions. If you need help, just look at other people's work, take inspiration from it. Reading books on composition helps, too. Post lots of photos to an online community and take constructive criticism gratefully in order to learn from it.

Of course, I say this as a "photographer" who hasn't taken any photos in a long long time, but I think it's sound advice :p

Osahi

Start with what you have and build up from there :) You can get a decentish body and lens relatively cheaply nowadays and if you don't have the cash or requirement for a true macro lens, there are other methods you can employ (magnifying rings, filters, etc) until you decide you want to take the step. Also, take lots of photos and experiment with lighting - it's the only way to develop (pardon the pun). You may think you don't have talent but as you train your eyes, you will naturally pick up compositions. If you need help, just look at other people's work, take inspiration from it. Reading books on composition helps, too. Post lots of photos to an online community and take constructive criticism gratefully in order to learn from it.

Of course, I say this as a "photographer" who hasn't taken any photos in a long long time, but I think it's sound advice :p

Haha, thanks. I have a pretty good kit from a few years back, and bought a smaller camera with a fish eye adapter more recently (which gives great scaling to small stuff, but makes it harder to have a blurry background). I don't have any lightning rigs or anything like that though, and when I see the set ups in the book. Boy...

I did film school, so I learned the basics of composition and lens usage (I graduated in the screenwriting department, so I never got further then the basics), and I love to photograph when I am on holiday.

Maybe I should just have a go at it once I cleaned out my playroom and set up my new sets. :)

Finished the brick bank. It is a great set with lots of neat little details. There are no really ground breaking techniques but it is packed with different facade decoration ideas just like the detective office. It is absolutely full of useful pieces which I will be looking to bricklink to get more of as well as planning on buying the usual 2nd set. Honestly though I have not felt the need to buy a 2nd set or more since the set prior to Parisian restaurant which just shows how complete the last 3 sets are.

I still would rank the brick bank below both the detective office and Parisian restaurant, with the detective office being the most fun build that really never had a unninteresting build section.

For me, I most appreciate the new parts, prints, and colors in the bank. The best thing the bank brings besides that is lots of facade building ideas for your own mocs and some furniture ideas in the 2nd floor. I really liked the outdoor corner clock.

While not mind blowing, it continues the string of great modulars and is definitely a must buy addition to any modular collection. I think we have been spoiled a bit by how amazing the last 2 sets have been that even a set comparable to them almost can feel like a letdown.

1.Detective office
2.Parisian Restaurant
3.Brick Bank
4.Pet shop
5.Green Grocer
6.Fire Brigade
7.Grand Emporium
8.Town Hall
9.Palace Theater

Don't own:
Corner cafe
Market street

Pretty much what I expect once mine arrives. I agree that the last two have set a new standard and every modular moving forward will be competing with them.

I'm ready for a police station next.

teeny

Haha, thanks. I have a pretty good kit from a few years back, and bought a smaller camera with a fish eye adapter more recently (which gives great scaling to small stuff, but makes it harder to have a blurry background). I don't have any lightning rigs or anything like that though, and when I see the set ups in the book. Boy...

I did film school, so I learned the basics of composition and lens usage (I graduated in the screenwriting department, so I never got further then the basics), and I love to photograph when I am on holiday.

Maybe I should just have a go at it once I cleaned out my playroom and set up my new sets. :)

Ah right, well, in that case I say go for it - you have nothing to lose!

I always had issues with the entry cost for professional lighting, so ended up making do with natural light and reflectors. I'm not sure that would really work for Lego, however... Maybe I'll give it a punt too :p

It really is a cool book. I love how he described pulling some shots off, like submerging them in water while powdered sugar floats down to look like snow.

Bigfoot

1.Detective office
2.Parisian Restaurant
3.Brick Bank
4.Pet shop
5.Green Grocer
6.Fire Brigade
7.Grand Emporium
8.Town Hall
9.Palace Theater

Don't own:
Corner cafe
Market street
Thanks for the rankings. I've been thinking about picking up a modular.

If one was to only get a single modular as a standalone display piece (I don't have room to make a street or city), which one would you recommend?

If one was to only get a single modular as a standalone display piece (I don't have room to make a street or city), which one would you recommend?

If you only get 1, I would honestly lean towards the Palace Cinema because it is a corner and it would display much better on its own (turned corner side out). I have not put the bank together yet though.

Also, no one ever buys one modular. Ever. Keep that in mind when headed down this dark path.

boltz

So I was looking around for info on how to remove stickers from Lego boxes and came upon some threads about the whole opening-the-seal-taking-minifigs-and-sealing-box-backup scams. Now I am totally paranoid about this and was looking at the seals for a Jedi Scout Starfighter (75051) that I picked up at Target for $42 a few days ago. I am 80% sure the box has been opened, but I don't want to open it (I might just do it though) to find out.

Let me present this scenario to you guys - if you had this set and knew that the minifigs were missing, would you return it? Basically it would be like paying $42 for the vehicle/box/instructions in sealed bags. It is a retired set, so that's not a bad deal.

Have you guys experienced sets with stolen minifigs? It seems like a simple solution to this would be for Lego use security seals that indicate when the seal has been lifted. I actually tried lifting up some seals on an opened box carefully and if done right, can be pretty hard to tell that if a seal has been lifted.

I buy resealed sets via warehouse and I try to build them right away to see if anything is missing. So far I haven't had anything but I don't want to find out years later and not be able to return it.

But in your scenario specifically, the minifigs would be one reason I'd buy that set. On the other hand, it's still an ok price just for the pieces.

Why don't you want to build it? I see it as a good excuse to move sets up in the rotation.

Ryuuroden

Honestly I would have to say Parisian restaurant. Yes, it's not a corner set so it doesn't display on adjacent sides but you do have a nice looking backside and one of the sides has a upper cafe. It has much more detail than the cinema and more wow factor to it on inside and outside which makes it a nice discussion piece. It has a lower profile than the rest of the modulars and actually stands alone quite well. You can also build it on a less deep base if you use a half base plate and 2 eighth size baseplates which allows you more display options such as on a shallower mantle over a fireplace. You will also have a much more enjoyable build as it is pretty much the best modular.

So I was looking around for info on how to remove stickers from Lego boxes and came upon some threads about the whole opening-the-seal-taking-minifigs-and-sealing-box-backup scams. Now I am totally paranoid about this and was looking at the seals for a Jedi Scout Starfighter (75051) that I picked up at Target for $42 a few days ago. I am 80% sure the box has been opened, but I don't want to open it (I might just do it though) to find out.

Let me present this scenario to you guys - if you had this set and knew that the minifigs were missing, would you return it? Basically it would be like paying $42 for the vehicle/box/instructions in sealed bags. It is a retired set, so that's not a bad deal.

Have you guys experienced sets with stolen minifigs? It seems like a simple solution to this would be for Lego use security seals that indicate when the seal has been lifted. I actually tried lifting up some seals on an opened box carefully and if done right, can be pretty hard to tell that if a seal has been lifted.

Hmmm...now I'm interested how they do that. The seals are designed to rip part of the box. I can think of two possible ways off the top of my head. Heat it to soften/melt the adhesive seems most likely. Removing the seal and let it pull of part of the box printing then stick it back the exact same position so the tears aren't easily visible.

I rarely buy aftermarket sealed boxes, but I do sell them. It would suck if I sold one of those expertly resealed boxes. Buyer would be pissed and so would I since I wasn't the scammer and it hurts my reputation.

Are the techniques that good it's really hard to tell?

Stopped at a Walmart in another town. I got excited when I saw a clearance price tag for Jokerland. And then I saw the "clearance" price was $119

YKEkuy2.gif

Ponn

Banned

I didn't have the room either. I ended up putting shelves specifically to display a modular street.

Lego finds a way.

boltz

I buy resealed sets via warehouse and I try to build them right away to see if anything is missing. So far I haven't had anything but I don't want to find out years later and not be able to return it.

But in your scenario specifically, the minifigs would be one reason I'd buy that set. On the other hand, it's still an ok price just for the pieces.

Why don't you want to build it? I see it as a good excuse to move sets up in the rotation.

I might just open it for peace of mind; if the figs are missing I still have the option of returning it to Target.

Hmmm...now I'm interested how they do that. The seals are designed to rip part of the box. I can think of two possible ways off the top of my head. Heat it to soften/melt the adhesive seems most likely. Removing the seal and let it pull of part of the box printing then stick it back the exact same position so the tears aren't easily visible.

I rarely buy aftermarket sealed boxes, but I do sell them. It would suck if I sold one of those expertly resealed boxes. Buyer would be pissed and so would I since I wasn't the scammer and it hurts my reputation.

Are the techniques that good it's really hard to tell?

If you go slowly, you can get the seal off with no tearing. I tried it out on my bike shop and Cafe set and in one case, it was obvious the seal was lifted. On the next seal which I modified my pulling, I put the seal back down and it looked like it had not been lifted at all. I did this with cut seals, but I imagine you do the same with an intact seal by sticking small tweezers under the seal where the flap gap is.

The only way to truly tell is to open the box and verify the contents. But that isn't feasible if you are selling a sealed set.

Speaking of TRU, Ultra Agents are on sale this week for 30% off. Finally grabbed Anti Matter Portal and the helicopter set. Also grabbed Infernox to finish off Nexo Knights that I want. Not going for Merlock Library. Oh, and there was one Hulk poly on the shelf too. Very good visit!

Speaking of TRU, Ultra Agents are on sale this week for 30% off. Finally grabbed Anti Matter Portal and the helicopter set. Also grabbed Infernox to finish off Nexo Knights that I want. Not going for Merlock Library. Oh, and there was one Hulk poly on the shelf too. Very good visit!

You don't mess around. Nexo Knights is barely hitting the shelves and you grabbed all the sets you want. Like many, I love the bad guys in Nexo Knights. Baddies in next wave look even better! The good guys aren't too bad either. It's a bit like Ultra Agents where the bad guys were the better minifigs. However, I don't think the bad guys overshadow the good guys as much in Nexo Knights.

Slowly coming around on my opinion of Nexo Knights from all the impressions, reviews and pics... I will for sure grab a bunch of sets but only once they are discounted... i don't have the money to buy stuff day 1 unfortunately :( (well i would if i didn't buy so damn MUCH all the time across all hobbies that is)

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just built the firetruck mech from the Rescue Reinforcements set. Good stuff.

Stopped at a Walmart in another town. I got excited when I saw a clearance price tag for Jokerland. And then I saw the "clearance" price was $119

It's on clearance at my Walmart as well, except I believe it was priced at $91 if I remember correctly. The only thing about that set that somewhat interests me is the Batmobile though, so I still passed on it.

Target in store has Avenjet priced at $50 regular. Obviously a mistake. Hope it stays that way until Friday when I have more money.

And all new SW sets are priced wrong too. Like below $.10pc wrong. They also had almost all the Jurassic World stuff on the shelf.

Markus

I might just open it for peace of mind; if the figs are missing I still have the option of returning it to Target.

If you go slowly, you can get the seal off with no tearing. I tried it out on my bike shop and Cafe set and in one case, it was obvious the seal was lifted. On the next seal which I modified my pulling, I put the seal back down and it looked like it had not been lifted at all. I did this with cut seals, but I imagine you do the same with an intact seal by sticking small tweezers under the seal where the flap gap is.

The only way to truly tell is to open the box and verify the contents. But that isn't feasible if you are selling a sealed set.

I've removed seals from boxes on a couple of occasions to verify the contents of sealed sets which I purchased from eBay. It's really not that hard to do with some patience and the right tools. A hair dryer to warm and soften the glue, and a sharp razor blade to gently lift the sticker - you want to slip the razor under the sticker and lift up, rather than peeling back which may distort the plastic seal. To reseal you warm the sticker back up and the gently reapply it (similar to installing a cell phone screen protector), under good light to ensure correct placement. And you only need to remove half the seal and leave the other half attached to the box.

I practiced on a few city I sets I had not opened (but planned to in the near future) and found that if you're not careful you would find dust or fingerprints under the seal. You may also notice the seal is slightly off coloured or dull from being over-heated. The numbers sometimes printed on the seals in black ink may rub off during the re-application process. Also the sticker may not be set in the exact same location and if held to the light you would see glue residue on the box, not covered fully by the sticker and probably showing dust and lint that it picked up. There's also Rosonol lighter fluid which essentially neutralized the sticky-ness of the glue and allows it to slip right off. Once it evaporates, the glue becomes sticky again. This could cause water-like damage to the cardboard box if not done correctly.

Hope this helps you determine if seals have been tampered with. Though I've found on occasion that factory sealed boxes sometimes have shitty seals that look suspect but are in fact untampered.

hmmblah

YKEkuy2.gif

My local wal-mart has been doing this a lot the last few months. Knocking off a buck or two so they can use a red label. I don't think anyone falls for it though as the sets have been sitting there forever. Oh, how I miss the clearance sales the winter I came out of the dark ages. 50% off was pretty regular.

I went to buy UCS Slave 1 yesterday and checked Amazon before ordering from S@H. Got a little chuckle out of their pricing:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NHQHX8G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

In case it gets updated, it says:

List Price: $199.99
Price: $199.95
You Save: $0.04

Amazon charges Tax now in my area so getting the VIP points on S@H made that deal a tad bit sweeter.

3N16MA

Banned
I grabbed the Mos Eisley Cantina at Walmart for $52. The tag said $70 but it rang up $20 less. Last one too

One of those sets I never got around to. I wish it was bigger and more detailed (I would take a UCS set with a boat load of exclusive minifigs). However it's a nice set for a good price. I can still find it but only at MSRP.

ghostmind

YKEkuy2.gif

I don't know what it is, but I just can't get excited about Jokerland.

I'm not much of a DC fan, but I do like the Batman sets, and I really like 6857 Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape, but something about Jokerland leaves me cold. Maybe its the lack of connectivity between the individual builds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom