• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

ghostmind

Ninjago City and the Assembly Square:

NDtRWt7.jpg

Taisaijin

AS was always closer to the smaller "new scale" modular than GG, FB and TH.

It still looks out of scale with the larger modulars, though.

Ninjago City looks like it would be a really fun build (INCREDIBLY fun even, there's just so much detail in every aspect of it and not a lot of repeated stuff from what I can tell), but it just looks kinda messy as a whole which is putting me off more than anything for buying it.

Maybe if it gets a big discount someday (like 25-40% or something crazy) I'd get it. At the very least it looks like it includes a huge variety of pieces and colors.

The Kree

Banned
I've never owned a Lego set but I'm thinking about buying one for myself. I know they're not complicated, but should I just pick something randomly that looks cool or would anyone recommend a specific place to start?

Osahi

Finished Destiny's Bounty today. Praise can not be sung high enough for this set. It's not only an amazing build that often makes you think it's actually a creator expert set (though it is a tad simpler maybe), it looks absolutely amazing too. And it is great for kids to play with in top of that.

My wife allowed it to be displayed in our living room, and that's an honor obly the Modulars and Wall-E have gotten so far.

(Also, I thought the ship would be smaller then imagined after the first few bags. But in the end it really grows and becomes imposing and grand)

I've never owned a Lego set but I'm thinking about buying one for myself. I know they're not complicated, but should I just pick something randomly that looks cool or would anyone recommend a specific place to start?

All of them :p

Check out the lego site, there's tons of sets that are cool, Slave 1 is best set 😎

Do something that you think looks cool and make sure you have room to put it somewhere in your house.

Aside from that, knock yourself out. :)

mclem

WOW --- big bad wolf-proof but needs a door

Not seen it before? James May - he from Top Gear - did a series of mini-documentaries about various classic toys, structured around some sort of large-scale project using each toy. Hence this Lego house. Also in the series: A giant full-size Spitfire made as an 'Airfix' kit, a plasticine garden entered into the Chelsea Flower Show, a full-size Scalextric racetrack at Brooklands (Scalextric = slot cars for non-Americans), a Meccano (read: Erector set) full-size bascule bridge...

It's a great series.

Brickset.com is a great place to discover sets. You can search by themes / tags. You can view a lot of sets in 3D, right in your browser. Once you start actually buying, you can keep track of your collection and set up a wishlist.

Jimbro72

So, how do 10179 owners feel about this?

If they make the set different enough and an improvement over 10179 (which should be the case given what seems like a sizable piece count increase), I'll happily buy the new one. If it was another Death Star situation where it's 99% the same set, then I'd be happy knowing I'll be saving myself about $800 this fall.

Since I'm going with the assumption that it will be different enough, the question now is, where the hell to display both models. I have a space I could put the new one but then it means relocating 3-4 other UCS models and that I'm not sure I have the space for currently.

Ponn

Banned

The OP of this thread is actually really well done for suggestions and those getting into Lego. My personal suggestion is to always go with something that really interests you first. For instance a lot of people jumped in recently with the Saturn V rocket. If you are into comic books or the MCU then those respective Super Hero sets are great. I can't recommend DCU movie sets at all, but the regular Batman stuff and Lego Batman Movie sets are top notch generally. Most $20 sets from Lego, Creator, Super Hero, Ninjago, etc are generally great pick ups and a good place to start price range wise. Creator sets are going to be your basic just building something neat out of Lego sets with occasional mini figs.

Also that small theme called Star Wars. I don't know, something about moons, aliens and kettle runs or something. They have a UCS Millennium Falcon coming out, that would be a great starting point :)

I think it was already discussed here, but which is the best way to take pictures from Lego sets, specially Modulars? A Lightbox would not be big enought in such cases, right?

I'm working on my first custom modular building and want y'alls feedback and criticisms. Here's what I have in LDD so far, haven't gotten far on interior detail. Its supposed to be an apocalypse goods store set... during the apocalypse. When I actually buy the bricks I'll have a bunch of smiling mini figures getting their gear. And the signs will have custom stickers.

I'm working on my first custom modular building and want y'alls feedback and criticisms. Here's what I have in LDD so far, haven't gotten far on interior detail. Its supposed to be an apocalypse goods store set... during the apocalypse. When I actually buy the bricks I'll have a bunch of smiling mini figures getting their gear. And the signs will have custom stickers.

I love it. Particularly the spaceship.

ghostmind

Of course LEGO's VIP system is down for "upgrades" and won't recognize your VIP status so that you can order Ninjago City.

Once again LEGO is amateur hour when it comes to e-commerce.

leng jai

If you don't mind spending a bit I would buy the Parisian Cafe modular. Great build, great interior and amazing display.

My suggestion would be 70618 Destiny's Bounty. Great build, and ships always look nice as a display imho.

For a "first set", I would recommend something that can stand on its own. Parisian Restaurant is probably the best set available, but I would go for the VW Beetle. It's a very cool build, has good value for money and it isn't immediately recognizable as Lego. That or the Saturn V are perfect entry points, before committing to a life of Lego :).

Osahi

My suggestion would be 70618 Destiny's Bounty. Great build, and ships always look nice as a display imho.

For a "first set", I would recommend something that can stand on its own. Parisian Restaurant is probably the best set available, but I would go for the VW Beetle. It's a very cool build, has good value for money and it isn't immediately recognizable as Lego. That or the Saturn V are perfect entry points, before committing to a life of Lego :).

I can support these recommendations. They are more expensive sets, but so worth it and they'll bite you with the Lego bug so hard.

leng jai

I'd probably prefer the T1 Camper Van over The Beetle.

mclem

Pondering how much to offer for a Green Grocer complete but without box. All that sand green makes it a PITA to bricklink unless you're willing to change the colour scheme, but I don't wanna go nuts!

Edit: On a similarish note, how bad is Town Hall to Bricklink? It's not one I hear as being as tricky as the rest - but that may simply mean people don't talk about it as much.

Jimrpg

That is a really weird question, because there are so many sets out there.

How much do you want to spend? Do you like the licensed stuff like Batman, Star Wars?

The creator 3 in 1 sets are good value, because they give you three builds with the one set.

These are <$100

Vacation Getaways 3 in 1 - RV, Home, Boat is a popular one.

If you're after a car -

These are >$200

Lego Expert Porsche

If you're after a building - Assembly Square -

But really you should pick whatever you (and your wallet) like. There's really no wrong place to start. One thing I keep in mind though, I like to know the price per piece to see if the set is decent value.

I've also kinda just started collecting one or two themes, because there's just way too many out there to get all of them. Ninjago City is dragging me deep into getting that theme. Argggghh!

Ninjago City and the Assembly Square:

NDtRWt7.jpg

Perfect top of the page post. I'm not sure I can resist. That just looks too damn good. But can I really spend another $400 on a set? Jeeeesus.

leng jai

I'm itching to buy a set actually. Haven't bought one in a while, last one was Wall E and the one before that was the Parisian Cafe. Used to buy every modular that came out but haven't been too impressed with the last few. Was excited about the UCS Snowspeeder but never got around to buying it at launch.

Jimrpg

I think it was already discussed here, but which is the best way to take pictures from Lego sets, specially Modulars? A Lightbox would not be big enought in such cases, right?

You mean against a white background like this?

I just use a big piece of A1/A0 white paper, stick it on a wall. I've got a photo lighting kit a bit like this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MBVOIJU/?tag=neogaf0e-20) but I only have the left and right lights (with 4 bulbs each).

But you could try what you have at home first or go with something cheaper. As long as you can shine as much white natural light (5500k) at your object as you can, you'll be good. I've seen some youtubers do a decent job with just two desk lamps from either side and a white piece of paper for the background. I'm not no pro, so its just my own setup that I've deduced based on my research online and buying random lights.

A lightbox would also work well I'd imagine, but for smaller sets.

I've always wondered how Jang does it with his rotating turntable and a white background. It's like magic! I've seen some youtubers try to do the same with a manual cake turntable, but it looks rather amatuerish compared to Jang.

Jimrpg

I love the look of it but £260 and all of the stickers leaves a sour taste.

Yeah its yet another expensive set, don't want to go on about the price too much, but it needs a little bit of budgeting for me. So many things to get, and not enough time or money. I'm literally choosing between this and an Oculus Rift.

I don't mind about the stickers as long as its not like that half Palace Cinema sign sticker. I prefer printed of course.

It's 5000 pieces. The price is pretty amazing actually.

And 16 mini figs! They look rather cool.

Now Ninjago City VIP access works, but ut says it is backordered for 30 days!

Edited: it says available now when you look at it in your cart. Lego store is really messed up....

You mean against a white background like this?

I just use a big piece of A1/A0 white paper, stick it on a wall. I've got a photo lighting kit a bit like this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MBVOIJU/?tag=neogaf0e-20) but I only have the left and right lights (with 4 bulbs each).

But you could try what you have at home first or go with something cheaper. As long as you can shine as much white natural light (5500k) at your object as you can, you'll be good. I've seen some youtubers do a decent job with just two desk lamps from either side and a white piece of paper for the background. I'm not no pro, so its just my own setup that I've deduced based on my research online and buying random lights.

A lightbox would also work well I'd imagine, but for smaller sets.

I've always wondered how Jang does it with his rotating turntable and a white background. It's like magic! I've seen some youtubers try to do the same with a manual cake turntable, but it looks rather amatuerish compared to Jang.

Thanks for the tips. I think I will try something cheap before investing in a good setup.

Anyone else looking forward to the old fishing store? I really like the look of it.

Me. I think I will leave Ninjago City for later and get OFS.

Why Lego Company does not improve their online store? There is always trouble at any major release. I cannot start to imagine the day Falcon is released...

Ninjago City is now out for VIPs.

Before I pull the trigger immediately and go back in LEGO debt, does anyone know if double VIP point days are coming up anytime soon?

Top Bottom