• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

So uhh... how does it make any sense that R2 has been to Degobah before and on this magical quest of immortality with Yoda and Liam Neeson? And R2 never mentions to Luke "beep boop, I've been here before, beep beep" on their semi-long flight to Degobah in Luke's ship where R2 has a text console to directly chat with Luke.
This is the same R2 who didn't mention anything about knowing Mom and Dad to Luke. Keeping his trap shut seems to be how he rolls.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That thread is tiring. I mean, Lego can improve in some areas, but to blindly say "lower price now pls" is ignoring so much and suggesting so little.

What I'd do if I were making decisions at TLG:
- Invest in simple themes such as Western, Space, Castles, etc; maybe bring back the "System" branding for them to get dem nostalgia dollars
- Lower the amount of $150+ sets released each year to around 2 or 3 as, even for who they're aimed at, it can get overwhelming
- Ring Reggie, licence some Nintendo franchises, proceed to make bank

Oh, how I want the "Castles" series to come back. I gave my kids the King's Castle for Christmas years ago and they eventually broke it down and used the pieces for other things :/

DonShula

Wasn't Castle just back like two years ago? Or was that just Pirates? Either way I should have jumped on some of those sets. I figured I'd get around to them and then they were gone.

DBT85

I was just sick in my mouth a little... you monster.
It is the only way. Got Saturn V and Slave 1 sitting here to do, and then Speeder/trooper, deathstar, snowspeeder and MF. Mwhhahahha.

TinqJts.gif

Castle had a really short run like 5 years ago or so. Pirates was 2 years ago with a handful of sets.

Of course, Space is what REALLY needs to come back.

DonShula

I'm sitting here with a half built Benny's Spaceship on my kitchen table because my crone of a weekend mail carrier just decided not to deliver anything yesterday, and the extra parts I needed aren't here yet. Thanks USPS. I guess "out for delivery" sometimes means "when we get around to it."

DonShula

Castle had a really short run like 5 years ago or so. Pirates was 2 years ago with a handful of sets.

Agree. I almost bought some old Space sets on eBay when I got back into Lego. I had a bunch of those as a kid, including the magnet set that you could build from several smaller sets. Much nostalgia.

ghostmind

This is the downside of licensed themes, in that LEGO has been avoiding releasing new sets in their classic themes (space, pirates, castle, old west, etc), as it would compete with licensed product.

I would really like to see LEGO put some serious effort behind a return to the classics, and not the mediocre recent attempts that we saw with castle and pirates.

ghostmind

Christ, I am banging my head against a wall about that other thread. Just walk away...just walk away...

I keep going back to look at it, even though I know I shouldn't, like some sort of horrific accident.

Unfortunately some people are just going to believe their own narrative, no matter the facts.

It does make me appreciate our LEGO-GAF community that we have here even more.

Wasn't Castle just back like two years ago? Or was that just Pirates? Either way I should have jumped on some of those sets. I figured I'd get around to them and then they were gone.

Pirates were released in 2015, including a large ship. However none of that sets came my country. Castle was 2013, and sets could be seen here until last year, those I foolished ignore them, since I was just coming from my dark ages.

It appears that Lego follows a four years pattern in some themes, so maybe we can see some Castle sets in 2018 but it will not happen if Nexo Knights is still around.

Space is and odd theme. A Classic one is long gone, but we had Galaxy Squad ans Alien Invasion themes that fit it and Lego seems to believe that adding more "colour" helps to sell the theme. Actually, outside of die hard fans, I don't see a classic space theme bring a success. But they will be smart to release an archicteture like line based on realistic space ships/rockets/probes based on the Saturn V success. Partner with NASA for a win.

With the success of Saturn V, I would hope they are looking at a NASA line. Just do one vehicle a year and be done with it.

Hell, give me a big scale LEM or landing pod.

This is the downside of licensed themes, in that LEGO has been avoiding releasing new sets in their classic themes (space, pirates, castle, old west, etc), as it would compete with licensed product.

I would really like to see LEGO put some serious effort behind a return to the classics, and not the mediocre recent attempts that we saw with castle and pirates.

Yes, there is something that ressonates on me in those classic themes. Castle, Vikings, Pirates, Old West. Maybe is my love for building dioramas and scenarios. I would buy a ton of them. Ninjago, Nexo Knights, Chima, they do nothing for me.

I keep going back to look at it, even though I know I shouldn't, like some sort of horrific accident.

Unfortunately some people are just going to believe their own narrative, no matter the facts.

It does make me appreciate our LEGO-GAF community that we have here even more.

I lost hope to try to explain even the simplest fact, they won't listen. Well, as you say at least we have sizeabled fine community.

It's the whole "I am fine with this illegal activity and not these others. What's the big deal?" stuff that irks me so bad. And people don't grasp that they are saying as much. Or did I misread everything?

It's the whole "I am fine with this illegal activity and not these others. What's the big deal?" stuff that irks me so bad. And people don't grasp that they are saying as much. Or did I misread everything?

People are just partial. They simple won't see it as a big deal, even if it is.

DBT85

With the success of Saturn V, I would hope they are looking at a NASA line. Just do one vehicle a year and be done with it.

Hell, give me a big scale LEM or landing pod.

I think LEGO need to be careful with an NASA line, Saturn V is popular among older generations and younger generations, it's the only vehicle to take people to another celestial body. Even a new shuttle wouldn't get the kind of attention that the Saturn V is getting and shuttle's easily going to be the second most popular thing that they can make a set of.

Just give me 1701, Serenity, Galactica and Daedalus lol.

I think LEGO need to be careful with an NASA line, Saturn V is popular among older generations and younger generations, it's the only vehicle to take people to another celestial body. Even a new shuttle wouldn't get the kind of attention that the Saturn V is getting and shuttle's easily going to be the second most popular thing that they can make a set of.

Just give me 1701, Serenity, Galactica and Daedalus lol.

That Viper MOC was sick, I would buy something like that in a heartbeat. I mean, I don't do SW, but Battlestar, Babylon 5 or The Expanse stuff? Right on.

Edited:

35167313200_f4a457e7d4_z.jpg

e79bc4b834be8d928ac80569fab956a3.jpg

Battlestar_Galactica_05.jpg

legos.jpg

ericb!

Neo Member
Good day. I've noticed that prices for set 40139 - Gingerbread House have increased dramatically on Bricklink and Ebay. Does anyone have a logical explanation as to why there's a sudden demand for this set?

https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Gingerbread-House-40139?p=40139

The number of sealed copies available may be somewhat low, but it still doesn't explain the recent phenomenon. According to Brickink, total average price for the 277 pieces is less than $40 USD.

otapnam

Good day. I've noticed that prices for set 40139 - Gingerbread House have increased dramatically on Bricklink and Ebay. Does anyone have a logical explanation as to why there's a sudden demand for this set?

The number of sealed copies available may be somewhat low, but it still doesn't explain the recent phenomenon. According to Brickink, total average price for the 277 pieces is less than $40 USD.

Your link says it all. Retired product

ghostmind

$200!?!

I mean it is the best Christmas promo set, but I'm baffled as why it is commanding these prices.

Supply and demand - I guess that sealed sets are that rare.

Yeah, for such a tiny set it should be really easy to bricklink, unless some of the piece colors are rare, but it wouldn't be hard to just swap any rare colors for some more common ones.

$200!?!

I mean it is the best Christmas promo set, but I'm baffled as why it is commanding these prices.

Supply and demand - I guess that sealed sets are that rare.

It is nice set but it would be really that hard to bricklink it? I don't see the point of having a sealed set.

Koren

Isn't it mentioned at the end of Revenge of the Sith that C-3PO and R2-D2 are getting erased for their new owner? Which is still bullshit, but hey.
Well, in the EU, navigational droids like R2 do go through a factory reset on a regular basis, to avoid glitchy behavior. Doesn't seems unrealistic to me, from a CS point of view, when neural networks are involved. Luke never did it for Artoo because he liked it this way, but mechanics have trouble servicing the droid and the XWing.

I don't think that's the reset that doesn't make sense.

Even more so when an infant Leia has no reason to want its personality preserved, and a Bail Organa that has ALL the reasons to think a reset is the best way to protect Leia, even if the reset wasn't standard practice.

It's the whole idea that they had to link Artoo and Threepio with Anakin to begin with. Especially Threepio, I'd say.

I think the Gingerbread house used 1x4 bricks with the brick like facade. I don't think they are especially common, so that might also be contributing to the price.

Nope that's not it.

Well, in the EU, navigational droids like R2 do go through a factory reset on a regular basis, to avoid glitchy behavior. Doesn't seems unrealistic to me, from a CS point of view, when neural networks are involved. Luke never did it for Artoo because he liked it this way, but mechanics have trouble servicing the droid and the XWing.

I don't think that's the reset that doesn't make sense.

Even more so when an infant Leia has no reason to want its personality preserved, and a Bail Organa that has ALL the reasons to think a reset is the best way to protect Leia, even if the reset wasn't standard practice.

It's the whole idea that they had to link Artoo and Threepio with Anakin to begin with. Especially Threepio, I'd say.

Part of the reason R2 needed to go into hibernation pre-FA, was because he had too many memories built up over the years due to never having his memory wiped. He needed to hibernate to process them all into storage. And he also had depression from Luke leaving. There's two different canon answers to this from my googling.

The idea the series seems to put out there is that R2 is so good at being an astro-mech droid, that nobody really notices or cares that he's never been memory wiped. Nobody notices because he's good at hiding it. But by the FA it was making him run poorly and he was aging pretty badly.

For several years now R2-D2 has not been operating at his peak capacity. His celebrated role in the Rebellion has afforded him semi-retirement rather than the standard recycling the resource-strapped Resistance would normally employ.

On most days, R2-D2 is kept underneath a tarp to prevent the D'Qar humidity from damaging his systems.

As R2-D2 recuperates in his self-imposed low power mode, his diagnostic systems are attempting to organise the vast trove of information in his databanks from over seven decades of uninterrupted operation. The defragmenting of millions of exanodes within his memory is causing R2-D2 to "dream" many of his greatest adventures.

Though R2-D2 remains unresponsive, C-3P0 still regularly talks to him, fusses over him and even finds ways to argue with him.

He is the only character in the series to have knowledge of every major event in the series.

Dang. I sold mine for under well $40. I hope I have another one sitting around. Great set, but I figured I could MOC a similar one up for myself so sold it.

It's just some unfounded perception of rarity. I don't believe any of the parts are rare or unique for that set.

It's not uncommon for people (especially on eBay) to put outrageous prices to see who bites. Listed sale doesn't mean it sells for that price. Bricklink tends to be more realistic, but $100+ on Bricklink is crazy. I want to see confirmed sales on eBay or Bricklink for anything over $100.

That Viper MOC was sick, I would buy something like that in a heartbeat. I mean, I don't do SW, but Battlestar, Babylon 5 or The Expanse stuff? Right on.

Once your collection gets big enough, just a few Pick a Brick/Bricks and Pieces or Bricklink orders (if available to you) and you can make MOCs like those yourself.

ghostmind

Dang. I sold mine for under well $40. I hope I have another one sitting around. Great set, but I figured I could MOC a similar one up for myself so sold it.

It's just some unfounded perception of rarity. I don't believe any of the parts are rare or unique for that set.

It's not uncommon for people (especially on eBay) to put outrageous prices to see who bites. Listed sale doesn't mean it sells for that price. Bricklink tends to be more realistic, but $100+ on Bricklink is crazy. I want to see confirmed sales on eBay or Bricklink for anything over $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Holiday-Gingerbread-House-40139-New-and-Sealed-/162665716200?epid=219540149&hash=item25dfa1d9e8:g:G7IAAOSw9YNZsx-W

Three sold for $190 each.

That's crazy. Now I feel like I should save selling promos items for at least 1 year before selling.

Anyone that is feeling entrepreneurial can Bricklink all the matching parts and make a nice profit selling the set as used without original box and instructions.

EDIT:

With crazy prices like that in the aftermarket, it's no wonder LEGO can command high retail prices.

Can buy TWO of these and some CMFs for the same price:

20687425431_98cf368dfa.jpg

LEGO Creator Expert 10249 - Winter Toy Shop by THE BRICK TIME Team, on Flickr

EDIT 2:

I wonder if some of those insanely high prices are setup. A person that the buyer knows buys it for the high price, does a refund thingy or something behind the scenes to avoid fees. Now there is "legit" interest in something for high price. If I were a seller and I saw prices going for that high, I'd raise my price. Viola, artificial insanely high price.

Ryuuroden

Jesus, I don't trust selling on eBay anymore, I have been planning on posting stuff on bricklink. I have a couple shopping bags of promos. The main reason I've been putting it off is I've been procrastinating on writing store terms and figuring out shipping. Its probably easy to do too. I do only plan on selling minifigs and promos on it for the most part. I don't know how easy it would be to ship some of my extra modular sets so I'm trying those on more local sites for now.

Maengun1

Opened up the Old Fishing Store, didn’t realize how many bags this was gonna be. Desk is a mess right now so gotta make room.

Same, my first reaction was that the pictures didn't prepare me for how BIG it is for some reason. It's basically a full sized modular building.

Going to place my first bricklink order. Trying to find the best combination of stores using the watchlist and easy buy options (still varies a lot from the filters I selected).

So my question is: is it relevant if the pieces are new or not? I mean which is the quality of the used bricks, any concern?

There is a 15% different in my total price if I select only new pieces.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My Gingerbread House is opened, but I still have the box. Maybe I shouldn't keep it in a drawer at work waiting for Christmas.

Mine is open and a great addition to our Christmas Winter Village. I love it and wouldn't sell it.

I wish they would do a much larger version as the main Winter Village piece one year.

Going to place my first bricklink order. Trying to find the best combination of stores using the watchlist and easy buy options (still varies a lot from the filters I selected).

So my question is: is it relevant if the pieces are new or not? I mean which is the quality of the used bricks, any concern?

There is a 15% different in my total price if I select only new pieces.

It depends. I know not very helpful, but it really depends on the each store owner. Quality of used items is very subjective to both the seller and buyer.

You can contact the store to inquire on their standards for used parts. Also, if a store has a lot of orders, deals a lot with used parts, and has a great rating, chances are their used parts are in decent condition. If used and is in poor condition, most stores with good ratings will put comments on the poor condition of parts in their listings.

I mostly buy new, but have occasionally bought used parts. Haven't had issues with used parts I got, but as I mentioned, I don't buy a lot of used parts.

eBay on the other hand, I've bought minifig parts listed as new from one seller. I highly questioned their condition that were listed as new. Wasn't worth my time to complain, but I never bought from them again. This was before I became a Bricklink buyer.

Top Bottom