• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

ruxtpin

Banned
The 10X Space Shuttle is glorious next to the Saturn. That's one set I regret not buying right as I came out of the dark ages.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Holllyyyyy shit.

XrbfkQV.gif

LEGO Pop-up Himeji Castle

Finally finished my UCS Snowspeeder. Added to the fleet of UCS edition ships

I feel like I need a glass cabinet or something for these. Half of me is impressed that I spend pretty much $1k on these ships and the other half is shamelessly embarrassed lolololol

Damn, give those ships some room to breathe ;) Glass cabinet indeed!

DBT85

I have decided, probably in error, to sub up lol.

I started playing with Lego at probably 5 or so, had the police stations and fire stations etc. Even had a train set from somewhere though I don;t recall the train ever working. My first Technic set was the 1989 model 8044 (not sure when I got it!). My dad and I built one of the models one day and I vividly remember him telling me not to try and make a different one until he was home from work. By the time he had come home I'd dismantled it and made one of the others.

Had several more technic sets as I grew older, though had to miss some as it was a birthday/xmas thing only and like all kids I also wanted bikes and other stuff! I issed out on any of the computerised stuff, the shuttle and some others.

I vividly remember building 1990s model 8064, working out that if I swapped the big pulley over with the pinion on the motor, it would go faster!! Of course having no idea why the damn thing would barely move once built.

My pride and joy and last big set was the awesome 1992 model 8868. I reckon that must have been around 1997 as I recall lusting after that, The Shuttle and the Super Car. I was just 12 :(

With a little one due in August, I'll soon have to go through the boxes and boxes of the stuff my mum stashed away and sort it all out.

Oh, and I never had one of those brick separator things. Sore thumbs and bleeding gums is the way to do it!

fuuuu

Plum

There's little more worrying than when you get to the end of a section and you've got two or three pieces that aren't obvious spares. Just finished bag 2 of Brick Bank and I've got two flat 1x2 pieces of different colours. I can't see anywhere they could go but I'm not sure if they're spares or not.

Also that pop-up castle is next level. How the hell is that even possible?

Experien

Ordered some Star Wars weapons off Amazon since battlepacks nowadays only come with those awkward stud shooters.

Do kids even like those things? Are they the new orange tool?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have decided, probably in error, to sub up lol.

I started playing with Lego at probably 5 or so, had the police stations and fire stations etc. Even had a train set from somewhere though I don;t recall the train ever working. My first Technic set was the 1989 model 8044 (not sure when I got it!). My dad and I built one of the models one day and I vividly remember him telling me not to try and make a different one until he was home from work. By the time he had come home I'd dismantled it and made one of the others.

Had several more technic sets as I grew older, though had to miss some as it was a birthday/xmas thing only and like all kids I also wanted bikes and other stuff! I issed out on any of the computerised stuff, the shuttle and some others.

I vividly remember building 1990s model 8064, working out that if I swapped the big pulley over with the pinion on the motor, it would go faster!! Of course having no idea why the damn thing would barely move once built.

My pride and joy and last big set was the awesome 1992 model 8868. I reckon that must have been around 1997 as I recall lusting after that, The Shuttle and the Super Car. I was just 12 :(

With a little one due in August, I'll soon have to go through the boxes and boxes of the stuff my mum stashed away and sort it all out.

Oh, and I never had one of those brick separator things. Sore thumbs and bleeding gums is the way to do it!

fuuuu

you old bastard. My pride and joy amongst the classic space sets, was 8086 technic chassis. Working suspension, working engine, adjustable seats, gearbox. Bloody amazing.

I was pissed though when I had kids and found out my father had given away all our lego years earlier. Had to start afresh. Now I have way too much and my son has grown out of it, but all the drawers are still in his room :)

Can't wait for Saturn V next week. Only thing I'm uncertain about is if I pick it up from lunch from the Leicester square store and then take it back to the office..

DBT85

you old bastard. My pride and joy amongst the classic space sets, was 8086 technic chassis. Working suspension, working engine, adjustable seats, gearbox. Bloody amazing.

I was pissed though when I had kids and found out my father had given away all our lego years earlier. Had to start afresh. Now I have way too much and my son has grown out of it, but all the drawers are still in his room :)

Can't wait for Saturn V next week. Only thing I'm uncertain about is if I pick it up from lunch from the Leicester square store and then take it back to the office..

Hey I'm only 32! I just LOVED Lego as a kid. It was a source of great pride for me building sets that said like 14+ when I was 10 or whatever. I made up for it by having no social skills until I was 27.

Some of the Lego my mum has in the loft was her sisters from when she was a kid some 45 years ago! You never get rid of Lego, too bloody expensive for a start!

If I bought that at lunch I'd be going home sick and blaming my lunch lol.

I'm working from home (luckily our office allows that) to hopefully receive the Carousel tomorrow. If I don't get it then, it won't be until Friday since there's a holiday on Thursday.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Amazon has completely removed the listings for all of the new Star Wars sets. Weird – maybe they weren't supposed to sell them early?

Haines

Banned
Couple noon questions.

Do they ever bring back retired sets or do they just make newer better versions to sell you?

Is technic loved by everyone or is there people who only enjoy the Lego side

iosefe

Couple noon questions.

Do they ever bring back retired sets or do they just make newer better versions to sell you?

Is technic loved by everyone or is there people who only enjoy the Lego side

retired means gone. some times a set gets retooled though

Boogiepop

Okay, so here's a crazy question: is there any trickery that could be used to bring down the price on a bricklinked Town Hall significantly, to like $250 or so? Right now doing a plain search for all the parts with the autofinder spits out about $380, and that's before even considering the shipping for all those places... Just trying to think if it'd be at all plausible to bring that down to an acceptable enough range using at least fairly reasonable (aka not terribly ugly) substitutions...

Related question: around what would it run to retool a Green Grocer similarly on bricklink. IIRC that's the one I've heard people going full on different colors for (aka a not-so-green Grocer).

Just trying to mentally figure out if I could ever justify going after those older modulars in any form...

Okay, so here's a crazy question: is there any trickery that could be used to bring down the price on a bricklinked Town Hall significantly, to like $250 or so? Right now doing a plain search for all the parts with the autofinder spits out about $380, and that's before even considering the shipping for all those places... Just trying to think if it'd be at all plausible to bring that down to an acceptable enough range using at least fairly reasonable (aka not terribly ugly) substitutions...

Really it's all about seeing what the most expensive parts are and then seeing if there's a substitution for that specific part. There's no real system beyond that! Leaving the minifigs out could save a bit if you haven't done that already and consider it an option.

Fowler

I can't even begin to wrap my head around how you think of building something like this.

Like... I can barely imagine how some of you guys build your MOCs. I'm in awe of the stuff I see in this thread. If that guy just built a "normal" Himeji Castle, I'd already be saying "whoa."

But the pop-up mechanism... the pop-up mechanism for something that size... and making something that beautiful at the end of it... damn. Daaaaaamn.

Wow...great sets you had as kid! I could only ogle at those sets from afar. I had the 6080 King's Castle set back when I was 9. Play with it tons and was later passed on to my nephews. Now my kids are 8 and 4 years old, I inherited back that set and built it together with my kids.

Man, Lego really are evergreen. Great way to connect with the kids.
I have more Lego sets for myself than my kids have...

Also, that Himeji Castle set is awesome. I recall seeing it before last year. Lego really is limited only by one's imagination.

Related question: around what would it run to retool a Green Grocer similarly on bricklink. IIRC that's the one I've heard people going full on different colors for (aka a not-so-green Grocer).

Just trying to mentally figure out if I could ever justify going after those older modulars in any form...

I haven't checked Town Hall since I actually got that at retail, but the main problem should be that it's big and uses the uncommon dark orange. There really isn't many other sources for (big quantities of) those parts.

I guess some of the huge white plates could also get expensive, and the printed parts. At least the clock comes in other sets.

mclem

(Not really responding to you, but using your images - and a few from elsewhere - as a jumping-off point for discussion:)

And from the standalone Saturn 5 thread:

And from a while back:
bnVDXmE.jpg

And one I remember vividly from when I was a kid:
0jvS3KK.png

Is it possible to pinpoint an approximate time when Lego designs went heavily in the direction of lowering the amount of exposed studs on the finished model? When you compare early sets to modern sets, it's one of the things that's always struck me as particularly jarring.

I assume it's at some point after the introduction of the various flat tile options.

On a similar-ish note, there's also a point - possibly around the same point, for that matter - where detail became a focus; just looking at those early Lego sets and how in many ways they're... I guess I'd describe them as like an outline of the intended vehicle, with more modern models 'filling in the gaps'. Any idea when that was?

I've got a hunch you might be able to trace it down to when Lego Star Wars blew up - and suddenly Lego had a more significant vested interest in making models that looked right, rather than just fun - but I'm curious if it might actually be a little earlier than that.

Is there a YouTube channel of people throwing huge lego sets down a flight of stairs or from their roof tops?

It's time to see if Benny's Space ship can fly 😈😈😈😈😈

Markus

I heard Costco (US) has LBM sets at some really deep discounts to clear them out:

70905 The Batmobile: $29.99, 50% off retail

70901 Mr. Freeze Ice Attack: $6.99, 70% off retail

70902 The Catwoman Catcycle Chase: $6.99, 70% off retail

kaiju

Amazon has completely removed the listings for all of the new Star Wars sets. Weird – maybe they weren't supposed to sell them early?

Huh you're right they're gone. I ordered 75183 but when I try to view the item it says the page no longer exists. It's out for delivery today!

Looks like the sets can still be ordered @ TRU also.

First two sets of bags done of the Carousel. First bags are the base, which reminds me of the Ferris Wheel. Very little built up (except the center pillar which has a similar layout as the Saturn V), but a solid foundation. Like that one, it also can't be placed directly on a baseplate since there are gears that reach to ground level.

Second bags are quite repetitive as you build the floor. It's rather floppy until you have all sections attached to the cog wheel and enclose them with hinges. The center raised section attaches in a crazy way but somehow is solid. After that, the instructions call for a function check (turning the lever should rotate the entire thing) before step 3.

DonShula

Haha those videos were great, thanks

I saw Kylos command ship for $59 at wal mart just now, maybe I should have bought it 🤔

I have the same conundrum. Don't know that I really want it, but price is so low. Someone else in this thread mentioned that since the ship survived the Episode VII, we may see it remade later with the correct color scheme.

Edit: and looking at pictures of it just now, it honestly isn't a great model. The ship in the movie is so much sleeker than the model that a revision would probably go a long way.

I have the same conundrum. Don't know that I really want it, but price is so low. Someone else in this thread mentioned that since the ship survived the Episode VII, we may see it remade later with the correct color scheme.

Edit: and looking at pictures of it just now, it honestly isn't a great model. The ship in the movie is so much sleeker than the model that a revision would probably go a long way.

And they can have the wings open up properly as well.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Kylo's shuttle is okay. There are easy mods to fix the wing issue but I didn't bother since I can't display it that way anyhow. I think it's worth the cost, though.

He apparently has a new starfighter in TLJ so I'd expect that too be a new set eventually.

I like Krennic's shuttle a lot more; the way it opens up is really cool, if unrealistic.

DBT85

Is it possible to pinpoint an approximate time when Lego designs went heavily in the direction of lowering the amount of exposed studs on the finished model? When you compare early sets to modern sets, it's one of the things that's always struck me as particularly jarring.

I assume it's at some point after the introduction of the various flat tile options.

On a similar-ish note, there's also a point - possibly around the same point, for that matter - where detail became a focus; just looking at those early Lego sets and how in many ways they're... I guess I'd describe them as like an outline of the intended vehicle, with more modern models 'filling in the gaps'. Any idea when that was?

I've got a hunch you might be able to trace it down to when Lego Star Wars blew up - and suddenly Lego had a more significant vested interest in making models that looked right, rather than just fun - but I'm curious if it might actually be a little earlier than that.

No idea for me as its been so long since I was actively buying LEGO, but, certainly when looking at the Technic stuff, I actually prefer the older style over the all panels filled in type stuff. The orange Porsche does nothing for me for example, while the old black Super Car still looks like something I'd like. Maybe its because it was out when I was still buying it 17 odd years ago.

Crispy75

For Technic it was a gradual thing, but the studs started dying out around 1996. The Technic shuttle that year was one of the first sets with the now-standard studless beams.

Yk4xhYO.png

1998 was a halfway point. The main structural chassis of a model would be studded beams, with the sculptural and moving parts in studless.

5CZFIGm.png

Even the sleek-looking Silver Champion F1 car still had a chunky studded chassis that could have come right out of one of the classic early nineties sets.

tWvyvmn.png

2001's only new releases were the Off-roaders, which had a hybrid chassis. The front steering here is entirely studless

ZbXTjSW.png

By 2002 the transition was complete. The flagship set was this back hoe, entirely studless.

yX29GpF.png

Modern technic has more panels, but the construction techniques are broadly the same

EAjlVac.png

I'll let someone else do the same exercise for the themed "regular" lego :)

otapnam

I heard Costco (US) has LBM sets at some really deep discounts to clear them out:

70905 The Batmobile: $29.99, 50% off retail

70901 Mr. Freeze Ice Attack: $6.99, 70% off retail

70902 The Catwoman Catcycle Chase: $6.99, 70% off retail

God i hope my Costco still has em. Was planning to go today anyways

Top Bottom