• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens |OT| May the Ports be with you.

Playing PS4 version. Nothing special compared to the other LEGO games, but still very enjoyable.

It's nothing new but I like that it feels a bit more streamlined. I played Lego Batman 3 earlier this year and that felt more tedious/bloated than this. Things like teleporting you back to quest giver after finishing, easy map legend and good in-game collectible tracking.

Roque Squadron flying levels are easy but fun. On-ground speeder bike controls are a bit finicky for my taste but it works.

Pick this up if you like LEGO and Star Wars (as expected).

Still have much respect for TT-games, they can produce these at a high rate and sell really good. Wonder how good this one will do for them. Taking out difficulty in these games and focusing more on exploration and replayability seems like a golden bet for the player-base that they are catering towards.

I'll try and 100% it next week. On PS4 I've heard people mentioning corrupting savegames, so make sure to backup your save regularly just to be safe.

Playing PS4 version. Nothing special compared to the other LEGO games, but still very enjoyable.

It's nothing new but I like that it feels a bit more streamlined. I played Lego Batman 3 earlier this year and that felt more tedious/bloated than this. Things like teleporting you back to quest giver after finishing, easy map legend and good in-game collectible tracking.

The LEGO Batman games have such boring level design, especially 2 and 3. They're dark, constrictive, dull and full of bland puzzles.

geordiemp

Not played a lego game since they stopped online coop.

We have 2 consoles, we dont want to share a screen thanks.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
How's the PC version? Debating on which version to get, maybe not now but eventually.

CamHostage

Also curious. Just went ahead and ordered the Vita version.

Performance-wise, Vita version has few problems. There's NPC fade-in on the open-world stages (and a few hiccups in the storytelling transitions between cutscene and in-game ... don't know why games constantly break that illusion) but otherwise it runs just fine and looks clean. Apparently the levels are similar to if not the same as the consoles. Has the cover-shooting, the different ships, the side-missions, five of the extra story missions (played Endor and the rescue mission so far,) and the voice acting.

1P only, and no support of the DLC. Also, I'm not sure how good the PS4 version looks, but the Vita version (and I assume 3DS and iOS/And versions) clearly is well below what's in the CG cutscenes, which is fine for most areas but then things like forests suffer from transitioning in quality of trees. (Haven't finished the Story mode to see how the ending holds up, it looks great in stills on console.)

I have no qualms with the portable version myself. But I haven't played the home version to compare.

Also thinking grabbing the cheap 3ds version.

Anyone have any impressions? I know it's not gonna be like the console versions especially on the PS4 and Bone, but I don't mind.

I tried a Lego Xbox 360 game and liked it, but Lego Star Wars TFA 3DS had me confused so far. Graphics look ok, but I don't really get how to play yet. I got stuck looking for a third objective as Poe/BB8.

CHC

I know it would take a lot more work but I'd be so much more into the Lego games if the backgrounds were ALL Lego rather than generic environmental assets. The Lego movie was beautiful in this regard.

ascii42

I know it would take a lot more work but I'd be so much more into the Lego games if the backgrounds were ALL Lego rather than generic environmental assets. The Lego movie was beautiful in this regard.

Part of the reason is so you can easily tell what you are able to interact with.

CamHostage

I tried a Lego Xbox 360 game and liked it, but Lego Star Wars TFA 3DS had me confused so far. Graphics look ok, but I don't really get how to play yet. I got stuck looking for a third objective as Poe/BB8.

Yes, I'm not sure if this is specific to the portable game, but control explanation is really bad in this game. It doesn't explain the blue radar locale icon, it doesn't explain that for some reason shooting in ships is NOT on Circle like for every other gun action in the game, it has a hard time explaining when to use the binoculars or other character abilities, it never explains with the 2X combo meter leading to a lightning bolt is supposed to do, it doesn't explain how you "earn" characters in stages (I assume that's what the blue Lego pieces are, or are those just extra points still?) and there's a red brick bonus that says something about unlocking unlimited character special moves but I just finished the game and I'm not sure I ever used a character special? Enjoyed what the game did, frustrated by what the game did not do.

Not being able to play as
Ep VII Luke
is some serious bullshit, i was planning on spending nearly all of my post game as him.

Totally. There might be a reason that we won't find out until 2018.

I also assumed maybe that's what all those green LEGO pieces around the stages were supposed to be for, but so far I'm still confused on that.

Totally. There might be a reason that we won't find out until 2018.

I also assumed maybe that's what all those green LEGO pieces around the stages were supposed to be for, but so far I'm still confused on that.
I hope they don't end up locking him behind DLC, that would be pretty poor.

I should probably finish this tonight. I have five missions left.

I just hope the final five are good and don't drag on with tedious tasks like some LEGO game levels (I'm looking at you, LEGO Batman 2 and 3) do.

I hope they don't end up locking him behind DLC, that would be pretty poor.

The DLC character lists have been out for a while, and no, he won't be included.

And I didn't realize he wasn't playable. :( Just finished the epilogue today and was wondering how to unlock him... Guessing it was a Lucasfilm decision. Interesting that Snoke isn't in either, despite having an in-game design, but I assume that's just because he doesn't have a confirmed ability set.

I should probably finish this tonight. I have five missions left.

I just hope the final five are good and don't drag on with tedious tasks like some LEGO game levels (I'm looking at you, LEGO Batman 2 and 3) do.

I couldn't even finish Lego Batman 3, and I found Lego Force Awakens to be the least obtuse and tedious lego game I've played. I'm on the last stage, and I've enjoyed every stage and found the pacing pretty good, and I enjoy how they are doing such a good job of telling the full story of the movie. And Harrison Ford said "Wookie Cookies" tee hee

Never really been into the Lego games, but this one is an absolute blast so far. They really nailed it IMO. I found Jurassic World's layout to be a little confusing for some reason, but this seems to be structured with more focus.

I couldn't even finish Lego Batman 3, and I found Lego Force Awakens to be the least obtuse and tedious lego game I've played.

Yeah I believe this sums up how I feel. I've never felt like I've just been wandering around aimlessly like in Jurassic World.

I couldn't even finish Lego Batman 3, and I found Lego Force Awakens to be the least obtuse and tedious lego game I've played. I'm on the last stage, and I've enjoyed every stage and found the pacing pretty good, and I enjoy how they are doing such a good job of telling the full story of the movie. And Harrison Ford said "Wookie Cookies" tee hee

Ford put in more effort than I ever expected. I mean, it's not amazing, but it's also not super phoned in like many performances from Hollywood actors in games, which is what I expected/feared going in. This is his first time voicing in a videogame too, isn't it?

And Kylo/Adam Driver's line when he's trying to pick up the lightsaber with the Force is gold, lol.

Mit-

Might be the first Lego game I ever purchase, because I really love TFA.

However when are these games going to change their shaders on these characters and bricks to look more like, say, The LEGO Movie, instead of this glossy mirror-like reflective shit? Ugh. No longer excusable with current generation hardware.

Might be the first Lego game I ever purchase, because I really love TFA.

However when are these games going to change their shaders on these characters and bricks to look more like, say, The LEGO Movie, instead of this glossy mirror-like reflective shit? Ugh. No longer excusable with current generation hardware.

They're still being built with last gen in mind, so that could be part of it. Maybe they'll step it up once they drop support for 360/PS3/Wii U.

So far, I'm finding the same thing. LEGO Marvel Superheroes was also quite good, although it had some tedium.

It's hard for me to love anything that uses this tired old formula, but I am enjoying the game more than most LEGO titles. It's a good game thus far.

I forced myself to finish LEGO Batman 2 and 3, Jurassic World, The Hobbit, and Marvel's Avengers.

Never really been into the Lego games, but this one is an absolute blast so far. They really nailed it IMO. I found Jurassic World's layout to be a little confusing for some reason, but this seems to be structured with more focus.

Yeah I believe this sums up how I feel. I've never felt like I've just been wandering around aimlessly like in Jurassic World.

Good to hear. I decided I'll just wait until tomorrow to play it. I'm too tired.

I hope to be able to finish it in another sitting, because I only have it until Tuesday.

Ford put in more effort than I ever expected. I mean, it's not amazing, but it's also not super phoned in like many performances from Hollywood actors in games, which is what I expected/feared going in. This is his first time voicing in a videogame too, isn't it?

And Kylo/Adam Driver's line when he's trying to pick up the lightsaber with the Force is gold, lol.

The problem I have with the voice work is that, what's been taken from the film is so low and sometimes hard to hear. The dialogue volume fluctuates.

Osahi

Finished the movie storyline on friday, and mopped up the extra story levels yesterday.

Great Lego game overall. There is some obvious padding in the movie storyline (Maz Castle is a pretty boring level for instance), but most levels are pretty great. The flight sequences and blaster battles help the pacing a lot too, and the whole thing oozes with charm and childish but often quite witty humor (with some nice nods to older fans too). The difference in quality with Lego Avengers, which I didn't find exciting at all is huge.

Most of the extra levels are gold btw. It really pays of to get the necessairy gold bricks. It doesn't take all that much time. It's so easy to get a True Jedi on most of the levels as you can unlock the stud magnet red brick so soon, so almost every level nets you 2 Goldies on the first run. And further I just fooled around for an hour or so on D'Qar to get enough bricks to unlock all levels (apart from the final bonus level, which isn't part of the extra story bits)

Apart from one lackluster one (the old man on Jakku bit), I loved them all. And I think my favourite flight level is even in these bonus ones (the one were you play with
Kylo Ren or Phasma on a beautiful planet with seemingly floating islands
. You don't have to play them for the stories though, as there aren't really any big revelations or gaps that get truly stopped.

So, great game. I'm probably not going to 100% it as doing that last year with Lego JW just bummed me out in the end, making it become a chore to get the final percents. Buy I have the season pass, so I'll jump back in when the story levels arrive.

Finished the movie storyline on friday, and mopped up the extra story levels yesterday.

Great Lego game overall. There is some obvious padding in the movie storyline (Maz Castle is a pretty boring level for instance), but most levels are pretty great. The flight sequences and blaster battles help the pacing a lot too, and the whole thing oozes with charm and childish but often quite witty humor (with some nice nods to older fans too). The difference in quality with Lego Avengers, which I didn't find exciting at all is huge.

Most of the extra levels are gold btw. It really pays of to get the necessairy gold bricks. It doesn't take all that much time. It's so easy to get a True Jedi on most of the levels as you can unlock the stud magnet red brick so soon, so almost every level nets you 2 Goldies on the first run. And further I just fooled around for an hour or so on D'Qar to get enough bricks to unlock all levels (apart from the final bonus level, which isn't part of the extra story bits)

Apart from one lackluster one (the old man on Jakku bit), I loved them all. And I think my favourite flight level is even in these bonus ones (the one were you play with
Kylo Ren or Phasma on a beautiful planet with seemingly floating islands
. You don't have to play them for the stories though, as there aren't really any big revelations or gaps that get truly stopped.

So, great game. I'm probably not going to 100% it as doing that last year with Lego JW just bummed me out in the end, making it become a chore to get the final percents. Buy I have the season pass, so I'll jump back in when the story levels arrive.

Agrees. The Rathtar hunting level was awesome too, lovely scenery. And I loved The Crimson Corsair, would love to see more of those characters

Osahi

How do you buy red bricks and create your own characters?

You hold triangle and select the red brick icon. Need to find the brick first offcourse. Or on D'Qar their is a store in the main hangar.

Character creator is on D'Qar hub. In one of the hangars it looks like a couple of screens in the back. That's the creator. Same room lets you exchange carbonite bricks for new characters.

You hold triangle and select the red brick icon. Need to find the brick first offcourse. Or on D'Qar their is a store in the main hangar.

Character creator is on D'Qar hub. In one of the hangars it looks like a couple of screens in the back. That's the creator. Same room lets you exchange carbonite bricks for new characters.

Thanks

I know I accidentally brought up the red brick menu once, but forgot how I did it. I've found one or two, but I've never been someone to go for all of the collectibles in these games (they're so overwhelming) so I don't really even know how to use them all, lol.

I'm not sure if I've made it to D'Qar yet, but will look when I get there.

Thanks

I know I accidentally brought up the red brick menu once, but forgot how I did it. I've found one or two, but I've never been someone to go for all of the collectibles in these games (they're so overwhelming) so I don't really even know how to use them all, lol.

I'm not sure if I've made it to D'Qar yet, but will look when I get there.

D'Qar is the home of the Resistance base, so you've definitely been there. :p

I love this but it's definitely the buggiest Lego game I've played
Doesn't seem any worse than usual, at least for me on Xbox One. So far only a crash and a couple small/non-serious issues that are just minor annoyances. I've definitely had much worse. One of the Lego Harry Potter games lost my save file.

Billfisto

Grrrrr. Game keeps crashing on me on PS4, and then I need to sit through all the unskippable studio logos and like two minutes of loading. Not that pleased so far.

Doesn't seem any worse than usual, at least for me on Xbox One. So far only a crash and a couple small/non-serious issues that are just minor annoyances. I've definitely had much worse. One of the Lego Harry Potter games lost my save file.

People always say these games are buggy but the only two i played (Marvel and Jurassic) were entirely glitch free for me. Maybe just got lucky

This one on PS4 has given me

-Complete crashes to dashboard
-Had a sound glitch where the sound effects volume became stuck at 204/10 and nearly destroyed my speakers. I had to completely reinstall the game and delete/recopy my save file to fix it
-Game locking up hard (requiring reset)
-Game freezing during cutscenes
-Awful framerate and screen tearing at the Resistance base hub
-Has a blaster battle where the second character didn't move up to trigger an advance, had to start that checkpoint over
-Falling through world a couple of times
-Weird glitches with icons on the map
-A few times talking to a quest giver would not give any dialogue or subtitle describing a mission but you'd still get a prompt to accept
-Sometimes after completing a quest they will say the same lines two times over completely before giving the gold brick

Those are just the ones off the top of my head. But yeah, none of them are really game breaking except the sound one which I was able to fix. Just small annoyances in an otherwise great game

I'm getting screen tearing and sluggishness at the base.

Also, the level you unlock for getting forty gold bricks has randomly unlocked. It did so after mission five or six.

I'm getting screen tearing and sluggishness at the base.

Also, the level you unlock for getting forty gold bricks has randomly unlocked. It did so after mission five or six.

These are apparently due to the amount of collectibles.

As soon as you can, do a free play there and clear up as many as possible. Should fix that issue

Hedge

How does the local coop work in this game? Split screen and shared progress? Never played a lego game before. :p

How does the local coop work in this game? Split screen and shared progress? Never played a lego game before. :p

They use a dynamic splitscreen system, where the screens merge when players are in close proximity, and the split depends on the location of each player (i.e. the left-most character is on the left, right-most on the right). It's drop in/drop out, and the save/progress is "owned" by player one. On systems with achievements, player 2 can get all level completion and player action achievements, though the rest (collect all characters, complete all missions, achieve 100%, etc.) are player one only.

Hedge

They use a dynamic splitscreen system, where the screens merge when players are in close proximity, and the split depends on the location of each player (i.e. the left-most character is on the left, right-most on the right). It's drop in/drop out, and the save/progress is "owned" by player one. On systems with achievements, player 2 can get all level completion and player action achievements, though the rest (collect all characters, complete all missions, achieve 100%, etc.) are player one only.

Ooh I see. Thank you for the clarification!

Rated-G

Just picked this up earlier, wife and I play a lot of these LEGO games, I think the Batman ones and the Hobbit are the only ones we skipped.

We keep encountering a hard crash though, at the start of Chapter 2, during the cutscene while Poe Dameron is being tortured, the game freezes for half a second, closes down and boots us back to the OS. Jurassic World had a crash or two for us in the hub world, but never one we could reproduce consistently like this, and we can't skip the cutscene to try and pass over the problem area because the press triangle to skip option doesn't become available before the game crashes. Has anyone else run into this? We bought the game physically and I'm not sure if it's an issue that can be patched or something actually wrong with our copy... But for now we can't play anything other than the first hub world, the prologue and the first level.

Okay so, after a few dozen attempts to get past that cutscene, we FINALLY got a prompt to skip during th text crawl at the start of Chapter 2. Skipping the text crawl still takes you to the cutscene that was crashing for us, but if you skip the text crawl the scene plays out fine and we were ultimately able to continue...

Looks like there's an indicator saying a gold brick should be there but there's nothing showing.

Presume that it isn't triggered by doing something elsewhere and this is just where it appears after you've completed whatever it is you need to do?

Oh my god I feel like a complete idiot because that is EXACTLY what had to be done.

I was so confused by the characters, the couch, and the hologram thing vanishing that it wasn't until I watched a Youtube video did I realise you needed to shoot three bird things to restore the signal to the hologram TV, something that I had done many hours previously in the game but obviously wasn't paying attention to the gold brick appearing. I'm confused why everything was vanishing when I got to that area though.

I feel like a complete fool but at least I can get the platinum I was suppose to get days ago (and there goes my "Lego platinum in under 5 days" goal)

Osahi

People always say these games are buggy but the only two i played (Marvel and Jurassic) were entirely glitch free for me. Maybe just got lucky

This one on PS4 has given me

-Complete crashes to dashboard
-Had a sound glitch where the sound effects volume became stuck at 204/10 and nearly destroyed my speakers. I had to completely reinstall the game and delete/recopy my save file to fix it
-Game locking up hard (requiring reset)
-Game freezing during cutscenes
-Awful framerate and screen tearing at the Resistance base hub
-Has a blaster battle where the second character didn't move up to trigger an advance, had to start that checkpoint over
-Falling through world a couple of times
-Weird glitches with icons on the map
-A few times talking to a quest giver would not give any dialogue or subtitle describing a mission but you'd still get a prompt to accept
-Sometimes after completing a quest they will say the same lines two times over completely before giving the gold brick

Those are just the ones off the top of my head. But yeah, none of them are really game breaking except the sound one which I was able to fix. Just small annoyances in an otherwise great game

I didn't have that much troubles, but the game did crash two times on me (PS4 version), both during cutscènes were it froze and booted back to OS. I also have framerate issues in the D'Qar base.

Additionally, the Wii U versions of Lego game typically give Player 2 the full tv while Player 1 uses the gamepad screen.

Wait, really? Not the other way around? I would hate that. I like being player one and I like playing my console games on my HDTV, not a 480p tablet.

On PS4, how does the season pass appear once it's been redeemed? I'm guessing it worked, but nothing in my add-on content (in the XMB) mentions a season pass.

Edit: You still can't pause cutscenes in these games? -_-

netguy503

Enjoy DSP's rant about the glitch he found (two of them)in this game and the recent Batman 3 game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YrBEn0CXyU&feature=youtu.be&a

Here's his Lego Star Wars TFA glitches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abqmaVSpu_4&index=12&list=PL_QtSMEGimbwlML69LoaPYzEJabvgApof (begins at 13:28, but you should really watch the whole video as it shows what a vile person this guy really is at times. I was disgusted throughout this video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATmRvsOfG_Q&list=PL_QtSMEGimbwlML69LoaPYzEJabvgApof&index=16 (begins at 21:30)

And his lego batman 3 game bug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC3bopa4dnQ&list=PL_QtSMEGimby_YgY2KoyrrYE3g5686cDJ&index=10 (just leaving it all here with no timestamp as you should really watch the whole video. He went at it for like 45 minutes)

Both games he bought full price for his channel and not his own enjoyment. Both games will now never have a completed playthrough on his channel. Not only is that frustrating for fans of his but he's losing money not only buying the games full price but not completing them and making money off the videos. That's how much these Lego games frustrate him.

Thought you all might get a kick out of these videos like I did.

Top Bottom