• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let’s look at gaming’s most ancient, epic revenge story.

Shirokun

That was amazing. Having played the games with so much time in between, I always only ever had a vague sense of the events of the series and how they were connected. You definitely made me want to go back and revisit the series. Bravo!

Also, I really hope they remake Metroid II some time in the near future. I had fond memories of it being the most challenging and also having the darkest and most oppressive atmosphere of the games. Imagine Metroid, Dark Souls style. The potential there is huge!

Neiteio

Just took half an hour to read through this all. Amazing write up! I had no idea there was so much lore to Metroid.
There's a lot of lore (90 percent of it from Retro Studios, their efforts possibly retconned by Sakamoto), but virtually nothing in terms of meaningful character development or themes. It's a large part of why the series never really caught on in a major way -- it's sort of "empty" from a narrative standpoint. I love Metroid, though, and I'm not calling for them to try and make a grand story out of it. That's how you end up with Other M...

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I really, REALLY need to play the Primer series. I love Super Metroid, Fusion, and Zero Mission to death. But have never gotten around to play the others. :(

ibj4wBADtV4QED.GIF

Damn. Thank you Mama Robotnik for that enthralling read.

This has made me simultaneously want this — your own connections and extrapolations included — implemented into a future game and portrayed in show and a book.

I remember reading someone wanting a Metroid cartoon by Genndy Tartakovsky; having this backstory as the framework for it would do this interpretation of events justice.

JaseMath

Awesome work as always, Mama. Excellent read; I had no idea there was so much lore when looking at the series as a whole.

I really, REALLY need to play the Primer series. I love Super Metroid, Fusion, and Zero Mission to death. But have never gotten around to play the others. :(
Yes you do. Prime isn't just the best Metroid game, it's also the Citizen Kane of gaming.

Camwi

Good lord, Nintendo should give you a job, OP. What a beautiful read.

Also, I now hate you because the desire to replay the Metroid games is now killing me and my backlog is huge. :p

Toxi

Banned
The idea that SR388 is the main villain of the Metroid series seems ludicrous at first, yet as you think more about it, such a villain makes sense. Metroid isn't about fighting some cackling mustache twirling villain; it's about exploring and overcoming the environment. Therefore, only the environment itself can be the real foe. Metroid 2's earthquakes that lower the lava make a strange kind of sense with this theory.

It also makes the Prime trilogy more interconnected; just as the main villain of the Metroid series is SR388, the main villain of the Prime series is Phazon, and by extension Phaaze. Ridley, the Space Pirates, Emperor Ing, Metroid Prime, Dark Samus, they're all just pawns and abusers of a force that corrupts the world.

It's too bad that the manga and Other M waste so much of the potential the series had. The manga is just wretched and removes any of the Chozo's mystique, while Other M is a retread of Fusion that obliterates the main hero.

NewGame

Banned
Ooookay. That was an interesting read.

A few questions:
- Is the interpretation of what was seen by the Chozo based solely off the lore readings in Prime?
- Where did you find information in regards to the Chozo finding, arriving at and producing the Metroid while on Phase? Were not Metroids developed on SR388?
- Are you basing the idea that Phaze absorbed the dead Chozo and found the location of Tallon IV and Aether and then took the offensive with them? Why Aether? It wasn't a Chozo homeworld and if I recall correctly was totally uninhabitable until the Luminoth created artificial light to make up for the lack of a sun.

This thread reminds me that I need to play through the entire Metroid series again. Except of course for you know what.

Daingurse

Been browsing Metroid.wikia for a good while now. This fucking thread. Love to know what those Phaaze super predators were like, that made the engineering of the Metroids so necessary.

LMWanderer

Neo Member
Distilling all the disperate facts down to a perfectly reasonable narrative. Plain and simple. Now we just have to move past metroid fusion in the timeline when retro finishes any other projects they have in mind. They would be the only ones who could give the franchise justice it seems.

Toxi

Banned
- Where did you find information in regards to the Chozo finding, arriving at and producing the Metroid while on Phase? Were not Metroids developed on SR388?
That's according to the manga, which is pretty shitty and I don't care for it.

The games themselves only say that the Metroid DNA works as a vaccine because the Metroids were the main predators of the X. The entire part about them being developed on Phaaze to counter Phazon-mutated life is pure fanon that just works very well at pulling together loose ends (Namely, why are there Metroid Prime shells on Phaaze, where did the Tallon IV Metroid that became Prime come from). I don't agree with it, since I think Emperor Ing's final form is evidence that life mutated by Phazon just naturally turns out looking like that, but it is a nice theory.

BLCKATK

This thread is so beautifully done. After reading this it makes me want to revisit the entire series again. Nintendo really needs to continue this series, with the amount of attentions to detail it deserves!

Well done with the thread!

NewGame

Banned
That's according to the manga, which is pretty shitty and I don't care for it. It also might have been in the Fusion game manual, but if we're accepting game manuals as evidence then Samus is a hermaphrodite because the Metroid manual calls her a he.

The games themselves only say that the Metroid DNA works as a vaccine because the Metroids were the main predators of the X.

I remember hearing from All Your Histories Are Belong To Us that that team working on Metroid for the NES wrote 'he' on purpose to make the gender shock at the end all the more hard hitting.

Ooookay. That was an interesting read.

A few questions:
- Is the interpretation of what was seen by the Chozo based solely off the lore readings in Prime?

If you mean their visions of the future - its based on the prophetic lore in Prime, and the Murals of the future (Samus) as shown in Zero Mission. The Chozo - at least some of them - could see into the future. My speculation is how this would affect their society.

Where did you find information in regards to the Chozo finding, arriving at and producing the Metroid while on Phase? Were not Metroids developed on SR388?

Within the Leviathan that arrived on Tallon IV, was a single Metroid creature. The revised scan data from the PAL Metroid Prime Release/International Metroid Prime Trilogy release confirms that the Impact Crater forcefield was never breached - the Metroid Prime Creature came with the Leviathan from Phaaze.

The MP3 Lore confirms that the Chozo had used the Elysian Satellite Array to become aware of Phaaze. It doesn't say what they did next. My speculation is that the Chozo went to Phaaze and engineered some Metroids there - as I couldn't think of any other possible way to explain Metroid Prime's presense in the Leviathan.

Are you basing the idea that Phaze absorbed the dead Chozo and found the location of Tallon IV and Aether and then took the offensive with them? Why Aether? It wasn't a Chozo homeworld and if I recall correctly was totally uninhabitable until the Luminoth created artificial light to make up for the lack of a sun.

MP3 teaches us that Phaaze can interact with an organic brain - as per its interaction with the stolen Aurora Unit. Metroids were somehow engineered on Phaaze. It seems an unlikely coincidence that Phaaze's seed would just happen to hit the planet which hosted the bulk of the race that genetically engineered the Metroids, when it could have literally hit a billion billion other worlds.

The Luminoth were allies of the Chozo. The planet could have read the location from the absorbed brain, wondered if the Luminoth were a threat or not, and just decided to target its second seed there as, it was either there or a random other world.

Its speculation, as I said in the OP. I've probably made mistakes here and there, but I think the above fits. What do you think?

The entire part about them being developed on Phaaze to counter Phazon-mutated life is pure fanon that just works very well at pulling together loose ends.

That's fair. The Metroids somehow being engineered on Phaaze as well as SR388 is a bit of a big loose end though certainly!

Toxi

Banned
I remember hearing from All Your Histories Are Belong To Us that that team working on Metroid for the NES wrote 'he' on purpose to make the gender shock at the end all the more hard hitting.
Yeah, I edited out the part about manuals because it's stupid in hindsight.

I just don't like Fusion that much and my opinion is biased because of it.

Been browsing Metroid.wikia for a good while now. This fucking thread. Love to know what those Phaaze super predators were like, that made the engineering of the Metroids so necessary.

If the speculation is correct, then consider how powerful Metroid Prime was after its lifetime exposure to Phazon - it could survive atomisation, a planet collapsing around it, incredible damage levels. It could mind control a planet and summon walls of pure mutagenic Phazon.

Imagine a planet of evil, intelligent and ambitious creatures on that scale. Big threat.

Daingurse

If the speculation is correct, then consider how powerful Metroid Prime was after its lifetime exposure to Phazon - it could survive atomisation, a planet collapsing around it, incredible damage levels. It could mind control a planet and summon walls of pure mutagenic Phazon.

Imagine a planet of evil, intelligent and ambitious creatures on that scale. Big threat.

Big Ass threat hahaha. Sounds like prehistoric Krypton on steroids. Ugh all this thread is doing is reminding me that I need to play the Prime games. One of my gaming sins for sure, hell I only beat Super Metroid for the first time a month or so ago. This is the kind of stuff that makes me salty about growing up with Sega, because Metroid? That's quality right there.

And in this topic, illustrated fanfiction~

Second paragraph:

There will be references to the games, and a healthy amount of speculation to try and fill in unresolved story gaps – of which there are a lot of. You can consider the piece to be either a makeshift timeline illustrated with fanart, or just one fan’s attempt to reconcile the series continuity.

It says straight away what the thread is going to be: speculation, filling lots of unresolved story gaps, attempts to reconcile things.

So I struggle to see what your comment is saying, help me here.

NewGame

Banned
Its speculation, as I said in the OP. I've probably made mistakes here and there, but I think the above fits. What do you think?

It sounds great! I think you did a good job of putting together the overarching story considering how ambiguous and subtle the stuff in Metroid can be. I've played through all the Metroid games over and over and I always enjoy picking up the little hints here and there to the goings on outside what the game shows you.

I personally thought the Chozo were in fact semi-ascended beings simply by how they portray themselves a lot of the time. They seem to be the only race with a spiritual concept to them. From what I gathered in the games the Chozo were essentially ambassadors of knowledge and truth and revealed to many races such things through technology which is why random Chozo artifacts and equipment can be found on every planet Samus visits.

The Space Pirates contrast the Chozo entirely, they are completely materialistic and have a hedonistic view of everything. They move from planet to planet pillaging and destroying whatever they come across.

Thanks for answering my questions! :)

Velti

Neo Member
Second paragraph:

There will be references to the games, and a healthy amount of speculation to try and fill in unresolved story gaps – of which there are a lot of. You can consider the piece to be either a makeshift timeline illustrated with fanart, or just one fan’s attempt to reconcile the series continuity.

It says straight away what the thread is going to be: speculation, filling lots of unresolved story gaps, attempts to reconcile things.

So I struggle to see what your comment is saying, help me here.

What it's saying is that I'm a critical shrew who disagrees with your interpretation and whose jimmies unnecessarily rustle at the idea that someone would misinterpret them as canon in some fashion.
Because these things are so important.

I did enjoy the art, though.

RagnarokX

There's a lot of lore (90 percent of it from Retro Studios, their efforts possibly retconned by Sakamoto), but virtually nothing in terms of meaningful character development or themes. It's a large part of why the series never really caught on in a major way -- it's sort of "empty" from a narrative standpoint. I love Metroid, though, and I'm not calling for them to try and make a grand story out of it. That's how you end up with Other M...

Other M could have been good. Metroid could certainly use some character development. The problem was that the script was awful. I'll break down Other M since mentioning it would probably cause Mama Robotnik to break out into hives. The hoops you gotta jump through to make the Prime games fit with the other games but the small amount of stuff you gotta explain to make Other M fit is too much, lol.

Samus was born and raised for the first part of her life on a Colony called K-2L. One day when Samus was only 3 years old the Space Pirates invaded the peaceful planet. The leader of the Space Pirates, Ridley, murdered her parents. The Chozo found Samus as the only survivor and took her back to Zebes to train her to fight the Space Pirates and metroids.

Some time after training with the Chozo Samus left to join the Galactic Federation marines. Samus lacked social skills due to being raised by birds and didn't get along with most people, but her commander, Adam Malcovich, was someone that she looked up to and respected. During a mission to repair a civilian ship with 300 people on board, Adam's brother Ian is sent to repair it. Something goes wrong and the drive unit Ian is working on is about to explode. Adam orders the drive unit to be detached so that the 300 civilians can be saved, sacrificing his brother in the process. Samus disagrees with this decision and leaves the marines.

Other M begins with Samus recapping the events of Super Metroid. As far as she knows she has completed the her purpose in life. Her last mission saw the complete annihilation of the metroids, the Space Pirates, and Ridley. However she does not feel as fulfilled as she should be and has doubts about the road it took to get here. A distress signal from a mysterious ship disturbs her retrospection and she flies off to investigate it.

At the mysterious ship known as the Bottle Ship, Samus encounters Adam Malcovich and his team. Samus recalls her past with Adam and regrets leaving their relationship on bad terms and eagerly wishes to repair it. Despite being much more powerful than Adam's entire team combined, she disables functions of her suit until Adam can run diagnostics on its components to determine the safety of their use around his men in a flimsy excuse to have Samus upgrade her powers that has no real impact on the story except for Samus to sarcastically ask if Adam has any objection to her activating her powers without authorization later.

Samus and Adam's investigation of the Bottle Ship uncovers a secret cloning experiment that has cloned many creatures from Zebes from a DNA sample taken from Samus' suit after Super Metroid. A mysterious figure known as the Deleter is trying to cover up what has been going on on the Bottle Ship and is destroying evidence and killing members of Adam's team. The Deleter may be a member of Adam's team and Samus becomes suspicious of everyone.

Eventually Samus encounters a revived Ridley, who she thought she had finally seen the last of since she blew up the entire planet he was on. This causes her to have PTSD episode and she freezes while Ridley attacks her. Anthony Higgs, a friend of hers, snaps her out of it, but Anthony apparently dies. Samus fights Ridley with renewed vengeance and kicks his ass, but he escapes.

Eventually Samus discovers that whoever runs the Bottle Ship has cloned metroids and she heads to the sector where they are held. Adam ambushes her and knocks her out with a deus ex machina gun as she attempts to kill a baby metroid. Adam reveals that the metroids in that sector have been made immune to ice and are thus impervious to Samus weapons. The only way to destroy them is by blowing up that whole section of the ship, but the only way to do so is from within. Adam sacrifices himself to destroy the antifreeze metroids.

Samus then uncovers the mystery of what happened on the Bottle Ship. Due to the baby metroid from Metroid II and Super Metroid forming a bond with Samus, scientists decided to create a female human android with data collected on Mother Brain called MB to control the metroids. However, they treated her like a thing, she got too powerful, and when they tried to shut her down she went HAL on their asses. MB determines that humans need to be destroyed and she set the Bottle Ship on a collision course with the Galactic Federation capital. Samus tries to stop her, but before she can the Galactic Federation storms the ship and there is a Mexican standoff. Anthony Higgs arrives and reveals that he was the one that stopped the Bottle Ship's engines and blackmails the Federation commander into allowing himself and Samus to get out of there.

Samus never finds out who the Deleter was, but players can easily figure out who it was based on evidence Samus never sees. The identity isn't important, though.

The story itself isn't bad. It's told poorly. They wrote themselves into a corner with Adam Malcovich in Metroid Fusion and there wasn't much they could do for a story set between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, and so not much of note occurs. The game basically exists to explain Adam in Fusion, but the way they explained Adam's sacrifice was very disappointing. Samus having more character was refreshing, but the overly lengthy and poorly written monologues as well as well as a failure to explain elements of Samus' history gave people a bad impression. Despite having a mental disorder that impairs her for a few seconds in her encounter with Ridley, she's portrayed as being more badass than ever before.

Now yes, the Prime games and Other M are incompatible because Ridley isn't given the importance to Samus he should have given their history. There's no reason you can't enjoy 2 canons. Zelda fans have 3.

Toxi

Banned
Other M could have been good. Metroid could certainly use some character development. The problem was that the script was awful. I'll break down Other M since mentioning it would probably cause Mama Robotnik to break out into hives. The hoops you gotta jump through to make the Prime games fit with the other games but the small amount of stuff you gotta explain to make Other M fit is too much, lol.
How did the Space Pirates function after Mother Brain and Ridley were both killed? Why was Samus willing to work with the Galactic Federation's science team after their corruption led to the BOTTLE SHIP incident and her "best friend's" death? Why did Samus not mention the BOTTLE SHIP to Adam when everything on the BSL was reminiscent of the BOTTLE SHIP? Why was Samus surprised at the Galactic Federation cloning Metroids when she already saw it on the BOTTLE SHIP? Why did Samus grow in height between Other M and the intro to Fusion? PTSD is an element from the manga, but the game directly contradicts the manga's portrayal of Space Pirates.

All of this just piles on with the internal inconsistencies (Like Adam's nonsensical sacrifice and the lack of com chatter about a traitor in the group) to make Other M a really terrible fit anywhere.

Also, Other M couldn't have been good. Even with a decent script, the game was still an unambitious pile of modern dumbed-down mechanics with the Metroid name tacked on.

From the moment I posted, this has been the second paragraph:

I like to think its clear straight from the start, that I'm filling in gaps. For example, in the OP I try to assert the simplest possible explanation as to why there are Metroids native to Phaaze - that also fits in with the Metroid Prime III scan logs confirming that the Elysia Observatory had been used by the Chozo to find Phaaze. I hope it comes across as speculation - but speculation that fits the gaps and is informed by the many random story tidbits we know.
I understand your feelings, it's the thread title I have a problem with mostly. With your previous, very informative threads about this series, I'm betting many people will take your word as gospel. It seems that is indeed the case judging by some of the posts in this thread.

There is an actual explanation for the Phaaze-native Metroids: when the Pirates came there, led by Dark Samus, they brought some with them. This doesn't really explain the presence of multiple Metroid Prime corpses on Phaaze, that's a little element that's never quite sat right with me, but unless I've missed something major it's clear the Prime series isn't meant to be directly connected to the main plotline. It really is a side story in the end. I was a bit disappointed by this myself, but I believe that was the intent.

Tehalemi

My favorite character in gaming given the Robotnik treatment =

fECux39.gif

Now if anyone needs me, I'll be hibernating within this thread for the next few decades.

This is so wonderful. Believe it or not I've never played a Metroid game so I had not idea about its story. I just read the whole thing. Very interesting. Thank you Mama Robotnik.

RagnarokX

How did the Space Pirates function after Mother Brain and Ridley were both killed? Why was Samus willing to work with the Galactic Federation's science team after their corruption led to the BOTTLE SHIP incident and her "best friend's" death? Why did Samus not mention the BOTTLE SHIP to Adam when everything on the BSL was reminiscent of the BOTTLE SHIP? Why was Samus surprised at the Galactic Federation cloning Metroids when she already saw it on the BOTTLE SHIP? Why did Samus grow in height between Other M and the intro to Fusion?

Also, Other M couldn't have been good. Even with a decent script, the game was still an unambitious pile of modern dumbed-down mechanics with the Metroid name tacked on.
The Space Pirates didn't function after Mother Brain and Ridley were both killed. When Samus blew up Zebes she eradicated them. The Space Pirates that appear in Other M and Fusion are clones created from DNA samples taken from Samus. Even if there were still Space Pirates that weren't clones, having their leaders killed wouldn't mean they couldn't still operate.

When I said good I meant the plot could be presented better.

Other M leaves who was behind the Bottle Ship incident ambiguous to Samus. As far as Samus knows it was a rogue group of scientists, though the way that the marines she encounters at the end act makes her suspicious.

Samus shrunk?

IeOZcf5.jpg

She seems to be as tall as the other marines in her power suit. Anthony is taller, but he's almost 7' tall.

Toxi

Banned
The Space Pirates didn't function after Mother Brain and Ridley were both killed. When Samus blew up Zebes she eradicated them. The Space Pirates that appear in Other M and Fusion are clones created from DNA samples taken from Samus. Even if there were still Space Pirates that weren't clones, having their leaders killed wouldn't mean they couldn't still operate..
They functioned in Zero Mission, shooting down Samus's ship and performing some archeology.

"Oh but Ridley didn't die"

He exploded. Just because "he" came back doesn't mean anything; we saw that in Other M and Fusion.

That's also ignoring how mindless pirates contradict the manga, which is the only evidence for Samus breaking down and crying in front of Ridley.

Other M leaves who was behind the Bottle Ship incident ambiguous to Samus. As far as Samus knows it was a rogue group of scientists, though the way that the marines she encounters at the end act makes her suspicious.
"Rogue group of scientists"? They were Federation scientists on a Federation research station. No matter how corrupt they are in relation to the rest of the Federation, they're still part of the Federation. Samus saw Federation marines try to clean up the evidence. If she seriously can't put two and two together, she's brain-dead.

Samus shrunk?

She seems to be as tall as the other marines in her power suit. Anthony is taller, but he's almost 7' tall.
It was a joke in a sea of legitimate plot holes. She's shorter in Other M compared to the intro of Fusion where she stands taller than the Fed scientists in full atmosphere gear. It doesn't matter since Samus's height is the least important thing about Other M. She could be 8 feet tall or 4 feet tall and it really wouldn't matter.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
A good read. Now I don't have to play the games!

(Me and the Metroid series have a love-hate relationship.)

Jomjom

Banned
Wow I never knew Metroid had such a deep story behind it. Why can't Nintendo make more of Metroid games or new series with story??? They obviously have the capability.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Samus never finds out who the Deleter was, but players can easily figure out who it was based on evidence Samus never sees. The identity isn't important, though.

I haven't ever played, and will likely never play, Other M, but this bit completely pisses me off.

RagnarokX

They functioned in Zero Mission, shooting down Samus's ship and performing some archeology.

"Oh but Ridley didn't die"

He exploded. Just because "he" came back doesn't mean anything; we saw that in Other M and Fusion.

That's also ignoring how mindless pirates contradict the manga, which is the only evidence for Samus breaking down and crying in front of Ridley.

You asked how they functioned after Ridley and Mother Brain were killed. I said they were destroyed along with Ridley and Mother Brain in Super Metroid. They don't just keel over and die when they don't have a leader, but being on a planet when it explodes does the trick.

Ridley can regenerate from explosions. I'm just basing the idea that Samus thought he was really dead for good this time because Samus says she thought he was really dead for good this time. He did survive being blown up, but never having the whole planet he was on blow up. Samus says at the beginning of Other M that she believes that the metroids, Space Pirates, and Ridley are gone for good.

"Rogue group of scientists"? They were Federation scientists on a Federation research station. No matter how corrupt they are in relation to the rest of the Federation, they're still part of the Federation. Samus saw Federation marines try to clean up the evidence. If she seriously can't put two and two together, she's brain-dead.

Samus isn't given enough evidence to know how far the corruption goes. Even with what happened the Galactic Federation is still the best hope for a force of good and taking care of corruption can best be done from within. Why make it harder making the Galaxy her enemy? She neutralized the threat. In Fusion, she was put in a position where she had no choice but to become an outlaw.

It was a joke in a sea of legitimate plot holes. She's shorter in Other M compared to the intro of Fusion where she stands taller than the Fed scientists in full atmosphere gear. It doesn't matter since Samus's height is the least important thing about Other M. She could be 8 feet tall or 4 feet tall and it really wouldn't matter.

BwxQQzB.jpg

But she's the same height as these guys in Fusion... she's the same height as some of the guys in Other M...

Top Bottom