• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let’s look at gaming’s most ancient, epic revenge story.

sonicmj1

There is an actual explanation for the Phaaze-native Metroids: when the Pirates came there, led by Dark Samus, they brought some with them. This doesn't really explain the presence of multiple Metroid Prime corpses on Phaaze, that's a little element that's never quite sat right with me, but unless I've missed something major it's clear the Prime series isn't meant to be directly connected to the main plotline. It really is a side story in the end. I was a bit disappointed by this myself, but I believe that was the intent.

I haven't played Prime 3, so there may be very good reasons why this would be impossible. But if I were a Space Pirate and I encountered something awesome that I did not and could not control (like Dark Samus/Metroid Prime), I would immediately be thinking about what horrific experiments I could do to make one for myself. Maybe those corpses are the result of failed experiments to produce another Metroid Prime?

Of course, the second thing I'd do is create a detailed log of my experiments so that other bounty hunters Space Pirates could learn from them, so the absence of such a log would be puzzling.

NewGame

Banned
Height of Samus according to Other M.

hd4v.png

r991.png

Once again, this is how she is shown in fusion:
454h.png

Here is the extremely dumb 'Thumbs Down' cutscene from Other M that shows without a doubt that Other M portrays Samus as a small, delicate little flower of a woman in a big mans world.

apana

Brilliant opening post, I'd give Mama Robotnik a NeoGAF award if I could. With that being said, I think Metroid needs a reboot. Kids should get to experience all this lore from the beginning. They need to understand the awesomeness of this character and this world. I have spent so many gaming hours on Prime 1 and Prime 2, such brilliant games.

RagnarokX

Height of Samus according to Other M.

hd4v.png

r991.png

Once again, this is how she is shown in fusion:
454h.png

Here is the extremely dumb 'Thumbs Down' cutscene from Other M that shows without a doubt that Other M portrays Samus as a small, delicate little flower of a woman in a big mans world.

Cutscene takes place in the past, how old is Samus in that scene?

Samus is wearing her powersuit in the Fusion scene. In this scene from Other M:

IeOZcf5.jpg

she is as tall as the other guys. Anthony is bigger, but he's almost 7' tall.

She is portrayed as easily the most powerful being in the game. Adam's team couldn't even open the front door.

Hedge

Holy crap this was amazing. I've never played a Metriod game (having little interest in the genre), but.. I kind of want to now.

GolazoDan

Why the hell are Nintendo not making more Metroid games?

I've never played one. Kinda wanna play the Prime Trilogy but it costs a bit nowadays.

relaxor

what?
Play the Metroid Prime games! ^ ^ find a way, the first one in particular is genius. The geometry of the levels is timeless stuff.

Eh, the story in the Metroid franchise is just as boring and unnecessary as it is in a lot of video games. The best entries in the series spend the least time on that stuff and focus on the moment-to-moment player experience.

Tizoc

This blew my fucking mind and I have very little knowledge of the Metroid series lore.
Great write-up MR!

Shafto

Incredible thread, that has gotten me really excited about a game franchise I love, but had very much put on the back-burner.

Ironically, it's made me want to go play the only entry I haven't - Other M. (And also Metroid II...).

Jezan

This is an awesome thread, a very good read, and now I wanna play Prime! :D
How did the Space Pirates function after Mother Brain and Ridley were both killed? Why was Samus willing to work with the Galactic Federation's science team after their corruption led to the BOTTLE SHIP incident and her "best friend's" death? Why did Samus not mention the BOTTLE SHIP to Adam when everything on the BSL was reminiscent of the BOTTLE SHIP? Why was Samus surprised at the Galactic Federation cloning Metroids when she already saw it on the BOTTLE SHIP? Why did Samus grow in height between Other M and the intro to Fusion? PTSD is an element from the manga, but the game directly contradicts the manga's portrayal of Space Pirates.

All of this just piles on with the internal inconsistencies (Like Adam's nonsensical sacrifice and the lack of com chatter about a traitor in the group) to make Other M a really terrible fit anywhere.

Also, Other M couldn't have been good. Even with a decent script, the game was still an unambitious pile of modern dumbed-down mechanics with the Metroid name tacked on.
Ouch I never thought about it, Other M messes Fusion too!

Also, who was the Deleter? I forgot about him just like the game did!

Excellent attempt at tying the whole plot together. It'll be interesting to see where a Metroid sequel will find itself. Will it be an isolated retread like Other M, or will it be something to move the plot forward like Fusion did (Metroid Dread?)

TheJCAbr

Banned
The biggest problem with Nintendo is that they don't give as much love to Metroid as they do to Mario or Zelda... it sucks.

NewGame

Banned
She is portrayed as easily the most powerful being in the game. Adam's team couldn't even open the front door.

Her height speaks more volumes than just feet.

How old do you think Samus is? Hold old is Remember Me Guy? What about Adam? They don't seem to age at all and for a good reason, to contrast Samus as a little whiny girl with an attitude problem which is what you'd expect from an orphan raised by a super intelligent bird race trained in self preservation and sanctity of life while being gifted with immense power. Right?

Through out the entire game Samus it's constantly lost in a drone of senseless self monologue about her daddy issues, her inability to prove herself and her PTSD with Ridley. Both past and present Samus is presented as a totally dependent self harming peon of Adam because she wuvs himz or some imbecilic reason.

Other M makes things up about Samus as it goes along. It's like reading some horrible fanfiction.net write up.

Flipyap

Her height speaks more volumes than just feet.

How old do you think Samus is? Hold old is Remember Me Guy? What about Adam? They don't seem to age at all and for a good reason, to contrast Samus as a little whiny girl with an attitude problem which is what you'd expect from an orphan raised by a super intelligent bird race trained in self preservation and sanctity of life while being gifted with immense power. Right?
I admit, I'm no expert when it comes to Metroid "lore", but were these mystical Big Birds supposed to be feeding her growth hormones?

I don't know, the characterization doesn't seem so out of place for the girl who passes her time in space by trying on her collection of swimsuits and hanging out around towns/in bars wearing hooker shorts, if the endings are to be believed.

Other M makes things up about Samus as it goes along.
That's true for most stories about fictional characters, especially ones who weren't characters before.

Excellent read!

Though now I must play Super Metroid.

Is other M worth playing if I've played everything else or should I still avoid it like the plague?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I understand your feelings, it's the thread title I have a problem with mostly. With your previous, very informative threads about this series, I'm betting many people will take your word as gospel. It seems that is indeed the case judging by some of the posts in this thread.

There is an actual explanation for the Phaaze-native Metroids: when the Pirates came there, led by Dark Samus, they brought some with them. This doesn't really explain the presence of multiple Metroid Prime corpses on Phaaze, that's a little element that's never quite sat right with me, but unless I've missed something major it's clear the Prime series isn't meant to be directly connected to the main plotline. It really is a side story in the end. I was a bit disappointed by this myself, but I believe that was the intent.

Pretty much what I was thinking, it was a good read, but as you said from posts in the topic so far some reading this will have taken it as gospel of Metroid lore rather than op filling in gaps from what information we have had through the series, even with the blurb at the beginning stating otherwise.

I think I would have preferred a Wikipedia like approach to where the information has come from, or some sort of note where factual information from the series meets fiction from the OP. I came in hoping for a detailed background of the series without the made up bits. I don't mean to put the OP down at all by saying this, because it is some fine work, but as a long time fan of the series by the end of it I was reading it more as fanfiction than an in depth breakdown of the lore, which is what I was expecting from a Mama Robtnik topic.

MrT-Tar

Another great Mama Robotnik thread. This has really opened my eyes and enhanced my wish for another 2d Metroid in the near future.

I really appreciate the artwork and the creativity put into filling the gaps of the overall story, but I have one question: Why is Samus depicted as a monstrous Metroid hybrid at the end of the write-up, a direct contradiction to the game? We even see Samus take off her armor at the end of Metroid Fusion, and she still looks like a human being.

Holy shit, this was good. The Metroid/Samus fusion artpiece was downright killer.

I agree, it looks really nice, it just seems strange to me that it's being used as a representative depiction of Fusion's events.
I could imagine a sequel to Fusion where we learn that the Metroid DNA had more side effects on Samus' physiology and where she slowly grows more and more Metroid-like.
As a what-if, it's a great piece of art, but as part of a series summary, it's just wrong, isn't it?

Kinhow

This topic is one of the most entertaining I've ever read. The artwork and storytelling is amazing! I never cared much for Metroid lore, I'm honestly surprised by how good it can be!

Windtrick

Awesome interpretation and a fitting lore for the expansive world of Metroid. You filled in the gaps quite convincingly, MR. Great job.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Mama delivers the goods, as per usual. And to think of it, this time thanks to an x parasite ; ) Get better soon, MR!

Eric_S

A wonderful writeup and timeline building MR!

There is a question about where phazon/Phaze comes from and if it's got a reproductive cycle, has it sent leviathans elsewhere? The latter opens up for more Metroid and the former is probably best left very very vague. So perhaps it isn't much of a problem.

A very enjoyable read, makes me yearn for a proper pathfinding Metroid, with some good thought put into the environments and logs.

Good OP..... the beginning was decent, more lore heavy input from Prime than anything else (which was half-assed and shortcutted through the art posts).

You did do a lot to make this thread, so I can understand the fuel burning out half way through.

Still I sat through and finished it, so good read.

Toa TAK

Banned
This thread is amazing. The art is killer and piecing the story as you did makes for a great read.

Ultimately, I'm very interested to see where a sequel will land if they put it after Fusion.

And thank you for excluding MOM.
I really appreciate the artwork and the creativity put into filling the gaps of the overall story, but I have one question: Why is Samus depicted as a monstrous Metroid hybrid at the end of the write-up, a direct contradiction to the game? We even see Samus take off her armor at the end of Metroid Fusion, and she still looks like a human being.
Metaphor and all that.

Nakayumi

Great read, thanks for taking the time to write out such a detailed description of the events in the series. That said being said, is Other M officially considered non-canon then? Not that the game was great, but I didn't think it was half as bad as some make it out to be.

I wonder where the series can go from here on out. With the prophecy fulfilled and Samus being something not quite entirely human anymore, will they still make a direct sequel or explore more of the universe's origins?

Great read, thanks for taking the time to write out such a detailed description of the events in the series. That said being said, is Other M officially considered non-canon then? Not that the game was great, but I didn't think it was half as bad as some make it out to be.

Other M is officially considered non-canon
by Mama Robotnik and many other Metroid fans :)

The problem with Other M is, that it directly contradicts the previous games but it's also a disappointing game, so I guess many fans prefer a timeline in which a trilogy of great games can be considered canon over the (currently) official timeline.

Top Bottom