• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let’s look at gaming’s most ancient, epic revenge story.

Metaphor and all that.

I see. Well, the figurative nature of this one image is not really made clear by the accompanying text and it's also among lots of pretty accurate depictions of actual game scenes, so I thought readers unfamiliar with the games might be left a bit confused about that.

RagnarokX

Her height speaks more volumes than just feet.

How old do you think Samus is? Hold old is Remember Me Guy? What about Adam? They don't seem to age at all and for a good reason, to contrast Samus as a little whiny girl with an attitude problem which is what you'd expect from an orphan raised by a super intelligent bird race trained in self preservation and sanctity of life while being gifted with immense power. Right?

Through out the entire game Samus it's constantly lost in a drone of senseless self monologue about her daddy issues, her inability to prove herself and her PTSD with Ridley. Both past and present Samus is presented as a totally dependent self harming peon of Adam because she wuvs himz or some imbecilic reason.

Other M makes things up about Samus as it goes along. It's like reading some horrible fanfiction.net write up.
I'm going to guess you're being ironic since the OP made more fanfiction about the Prime saga to fit them in than the small amount info you have to add from the official manga to make Other M work better. Plus you keep ignoring the screenshot where she's the same size as the other soldiers.

Nakayumi

Other M is officially considered non-canon
by Mama Robotnik and many other Metroid fans :)

The problem with Other M is, that it directly contradicts the previous games but it's also a disappointing game, so I guess many fans prefer a timeline in which a trilogy of great games can be considered canon over the (currently) official timeline.

Understandable, and in the light of the amazing Prime series, I guess it is indeed better to regard Other M as something separate from the rest of the series. I would love it if Nintendo would release an official artbook/history like they did with the Hyrule Historia. Game has an amazing amount of depth which really should be given more attention.

Neff

It's stuff like this that makes me glad that Miyamoto opposes lore and series continuity.

I preferred Metroid when Samus was just some chick who hunted dangerous aliens, the idea of her being Space Link does nothing for me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Honestly I kind of like the idea that Chozo prophecy is actually just a propensity for hallucinations in the species and by building their culture around it and believing in the "visions" they embark on crusades that result in the creation of their own worst enemies.

CBTech

I didn't realize that Metroid's backstory was this complex. I certainly missed (or at the very least forgotten) about the living planet aspect of Phaaze.

Nintendo is really good about greating interesting lore for games and never expanding on it. Zelda and Metroid are full of rich backstory and lore.

Now I want to play some Metroid games.

Great topic is great. I certainly hope we get some more Metroid games in the future - it's been quite a while since the last one, Prime 3, came out. An HD re-release of the Prime series would also be spectacular.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Great topic is great. I certainly hope we get some more Metroid games in the future - it's been quite a while since the last one, Prime 3, came out. An HD re-release of the Prime series would also be spectacular.

Honestly I'm replaying Prime 1 literally right now and about all it needs is the resolution bump, the texture work and geometry is still fantastic.

Great read, I really enjoyed it. The fall of Bryyo was an epic planetary civil war between religious zealots and those who accepted the Chozo technology. The end game of that war scorched the planet and the few survivors were relegated to caveman(lizard) status.

789shadow

Banned
I sort of like how your story could basically be the tale of an ancient race cursed with foresight, and therefore doomed to initiate their own self-fulfilling prophecy.

PBalfredo

How did the Space Pirates function after Mother Brain and Ridley were both killed? Why was Samus willing to work with the Galactic Federation's science team after their corruption led to the BOTTLE SHIP incident and her "best friend's" death? Why did Samus not mention the BOTTLE SHIP to Adam when everything on the BSL was reminiscent of the BOTTLE SHIP? Why was Samus surprised at the Galactic Federation cloning Metroids when she already saw it on the BOTTLE SHIP? Why did Samus grow in height between Other M and the intro to Fusion? PTSD is an element from the manga, but the game directly contradicts the manga's portrayal of Space Pirates.

All of this just piles on with the internal inconsistencies (Like Adam's nonsensical sacrifice and the lack of com chatter about a traitor in the group) to make Other M a really terrible fit anywhere.

Also, Other M couldn't have been good. Even with a decent script, the game was still an unambitious pile of modern dumbed-down mechanics with the Metroid name tacked on.

Other M's placement in the series messes a lot of things up. Most noticeably it messes with Fusion by eating its lunch and taking place before, retroactively making everyone look ridiculous in Fusion. But more than anything else, the more I think about it the more I realize that Other M wanted to be an origin story, but wasn't. Other M would have been much more better served as being a Metroid Zer Metroid Negative One.

If Other M was showing Samus' early days of freelance bounty hunting after recently leaving the Federation, than her adherence to Adam makes a lot more sense than for her to fall back in line under him after years of being independent. Then by the end where she no longer relies on Adam would be seen as character growth rather than the thing she should have been doing from the very start. The Ridley PTSD scene also would play much, much better for it being the very first time she see him since he murdered her family, rather than the fifth time she's had to kill him dead.

Of course much of the rest of the plot would have to be reworked, like the whole Metroid clone program and MB (though if that means it's no longer cribbing Fusion's story, that's yet another plus). Plus Other M still has its own internal problem to sort out, like the undercooked Deleter subplot, etc.

Great thread, as are all of Mama's Metroid threads. Like many others have said, I now have the urge to replay the whole series for the billionth time.

It does make me sad though how many in this thread have admitted to never getting into the Metroid series. And then that got me thinking about sales, and how a single Call of Duty game has outsold the entire Metroid franchise. Such a travesty.

Ugh, we really need another great Metroid game. I liked Other M somewhat, but "like" is not good enough for me when it comes to Metroid. C'mon Nintendo, I know you have it in you. Make it happen!

Wow. That is fantastic. Your post has more depth, effort and care than all of Nintendo's Metroid games combined (Retro cares). Amazing work to pull all of their haphazard work into a coherant whole

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
This thread further solidifies that Metroid is by far Nintendo's most interesting universe, you can really appreciate the amount of effort put into the backstory of the series over the years since it's inception.

I haven't played Prime 3, so there may be very good reasons why this would be impossible. But if I were a Space Pirate and I encountered something awesome that I did not and could not control (like Dark Samus/Metroid Prime), I would immediately be thinking about what horrific experiments I could do to make one for myself. Maybe those corpses are the result of failed experiments to produce another Metroid Prime?

Of course, the second thing I'd do is create a detailed log of my experiments so that other bounty hunters Space Pirates could learn from them, so the absence of such a log would be puzzling.

This seems unlikely to me. I went back and looked, they're in the room just before the final battle, where you destroy an infant Leviathan. They're high up, on the walls of the chamber. Their scans just say that they're husks, implying that their essences have separated, and that they're identical to the original. I guess it's not a big stretch to say that other Metroids could have mutated the same way as Prime, it's just an unresolved detail. I'm imagining a bigger final battle with multiple Primes as well as Dark Samus now. Maybe they could have even fused and stuff.

Anyway, my main point is that the central plot hole the speculation plugs doesn't really exist. It's not outright explained in the game, but there's a better explanation than the one given in the OP.

I'm glad I didn't miss this thread, it was an enjoyable read that pieces together the various bits of lore in a believable way, in turn i'm now thinking that I never paid enough attention to some of this stuff in Metroid.

NewGame

Banned
I'm going to guess you're being ironic since the OP made more fanfiction about the Prime saga to fit them in than the small amount info you have to add from the official manga to make Other M work better. Plus you keep ignoring the screenshot where she's the same size as the other soldiers.

Fan fiction is making stuff up usually involving Samus dressing up as a cat and joining Galactic Federation Spice Girls team. Mama Robotnic is organizing the original story in a more coheriant form.

I'm not ignoring the screen shot, I'm focusing on what the game is outright telling you about Samus in it's exposition. Do you not see how terribly misrepresented she is? The issue with her height is a symptom of a far larger issue of betrayal of character.

mantidor

I'll be honest, I've never like Ridley, he's such a dumb nemesis, a sentient dragon, that is evil? he's a terrible character.

On the other hand Mother Brain, the Chozo lore and Samus are quite amazing. You can completely remove Ridley from the Lore and just leave it as a "revenge against the space pirates" story and nothing of importance would be lost.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
It's stuff like this that makes me glad that Miyamoto opposes lore and series continuity.

I preferred Metroid when Samus was just some chick who hunted dangerous aliens, the idea of her being Space Link does nothing for me.

Really? It's better when her run ins with metroids are pure co-incidence? Like Space Die Hard 7. How can the same shit happen to the same chick eleventeen times?

CorvoSol

About Samus' altered humanity in the Fusion game, while Samus says she's no longer human, her body consisting of human, metroid and X DNA, when her armor explodes she still looks completely human in that game, and the post-credits reward pictures all make her look human.

So I always figured Samus' inhumanity was on like, a genetic level and not something visible to the naked eye?

Neff

Really? It's better when her run ins with metroids are pure co-incidence? Like Space Die Hard 7. How can the same shit happen to the same chick eleventeen times?

Games can totally get away with it, imo. You suspend disbelief because you want to go searching cool planets and ancient temples, not because you liked the plot of the last game in the series.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I agree with those saying Other M would have made much more sense as an origin story. How hard would it be to try and think up a slightly different continuity where Zero Mission, Metroid II, and Super all took place in a short amount of time, one right after the other? Say, within a couple months for the entire story arc of those 3 games.

Then, say a couple years pass, during which Samus goes on routine missions that haven't appeared in any of the games. And after that, Other M takes place, suddenly bringing up and forcing Samus to confront events from her repressed past, and directly leading to Fusion and her confrontation with the Galactic Republic?

Following this, Samus becomes an outlaw, operating on her own, in secrecy, only to eventually have her ties with the Republic renewed years later, when the Republic is facing an even greater threat, in the form of invasions of Leviathans from Phaaze?

Obviously this would require some changes, such as the opening log in Prime 1, but since I don't remember the extent to which external events were referenced in the Prime trilogy, could someone more knowledgeable chime in on how much would need to be changed for this to make sense?

Thanks again for all the positive feedback, and constructive comments too. The thread got a tweet from one of the Metroid Prime series designers, which was very nice too.

Honestly I kind of like the idea that Chozo prophecy is actually just a propensity for hallucinations in the species and by building their culture around it and believing in the "visions" they embark on crusades that result in the creation of their own worst enemies.

That's a really cool idea - a delusion of divinity that led to their own destruction. The real contradictions are the specificness of the Tallon IV prophecies, and the murals of Samus Aran made with a clarity of her appearance, possibly centuries or millennia before her birth.

Great read, I really enjoyed it. The fall of Bryyo was an epic planetary civil war between religious zealots and those who accepted the Chozo technology. The end game of that war scorched the planet and the few survivors were relegated to caveman(lizard) status.

You know, I forgot most of that. I'm tempted to go back into the OP at some point and - if the character limit allows - add the Bryo Wars, the Aether cataclysm, and the Albymic ascension. I really wanted to focus on events directly connected to the Chozo, but there is a lot to look at still.

I sort of like how your story could basically be the tale of an ancient race cursed with foresight, and therefore doomed to initiate their own self-fulfilling prophecy.

That is my favourite interpretation! A race that can see its own doom, resists it at every turn. The resistance leads them directly to the doom they saw. Free will is nothing.

Themes of predestiny and the illusion of Free Will in Metroid. Wow!

iirate

Themes of predestiny and the illusion of Free Will in Metroid. Wow!

Those same themes repeat in Samus's character. She loses her family to the pirates, then is taken by the Chozo who see her as a savior figure and raise her from a very young age as a weapon. By the time she's an adult, her whole life has centered around prophecies made long before she was born and avenging a family that was taken from her before she even really knew them. Even assuming success, what then? Her first two families are long gone and she personally severed ties with her third(her surviving friends in the Federation).

Samus's story is an incredibly tragic one.

-KRS-

I was going to subscribe to the thread to read it later, but I started reading a little and then I couldn't stop so I read it all immediately. Amazing!

Amazing fucking thread. If they ever make another Metroid game, they need to this thread for story ideas.

Unless they make an Alien 5 we probably won't see what happens after Fusion. Metroid games borrow heavily from the Alien franchise. Fusion was basically Alien Resurrection. Ripley became a Xenomorph hybrid, Samus became a Metroid hybrid. The Galactic Federation became Weyland Yutani.

I think you are reading too hard into Metroid's Alien connection. Could you show me the parallels between M2/Aliens and SM/A3?

We can either go for the canon that includes Other M, or we can go for the canon that doesn't.

I don't think its a choice, really.

In my personal canon, Other M is basically an in-universe movie "based on a true story" (Fusion) that takes horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE liberties with said story.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
shouldn't Donkey Kong Jr. be gaming's most ancient revenge story?

My first thought upon reading the thread title was Pacman, to be honest.

Those same themes repeat in Samus's character. She loses her family to the pirates, then is taken by the Chozo who see her as a savior figure and raise her from a very young age as a weapon. By the time she's an adult, her whole life has centered around prophecies made long before she was born and avenging a family that was taken from her before she even really knew them. Even assuming success, what then? Her first two families are long gone and she personally severed ties with her third(her surviving friends in the Federation).

This has basically been my personal interpretation for why it makes sense for Samus to be so messed up emotionally, and so socially inept.

CorvoSol

That's true for most stories about fictional characters, especially ones who weren't characters before.

Did Metroid Fusion suddenly not come out eight years before Other M? 'Cuz I mean, game lays out Samus' character pretty clearly, so it should be no surprise why people would have a coherent idea of how she was supposed to be at the time Other M came out when the game that spelled her character out was 8 years old by the time it did.

televator

The OP got me thinking about Samus and how Nintendo has really wasted her character.

Think about it. She was groomed by the most advanced species in the universe, she wields their technology, and no other race has been able to replicate said technology... Who maintains it? Samus. She knows. She was taught. She is physically perfect and imposing, and probably at genius level in her intelligence... She's the mother fucking Batman IN SPAAAAAACE.

Other M Samus is bizarro derpy Samus.

This has basically been my personal interpretation for why it makes sense for Samus to be so messed up emotionally, and so socially inept.

Yes, Samus is a dark character. She is the lone survivor from the murders of her two families. She kills without hesitation, and often. She has little free will, and goes where the prophecies predicted she would.

She watched her parents die as a child. As a teenager, she had no human presence around her. As an adult, she dived into Zebes - her former home - and saw it desecrated. She survives a crash landing, is hunted across a planet with no armour, is blasted into a bulkhead aboard the Orpheon, jumps into the radioactive sludge beneath Tallon IV, has her identity stolen by Metroid Prime, just barely survives being eaten to death by the terrifying Ing, is forced into a duel at the end of a dying universe, and is poisoned with a Phazon infection and suffers a painful assault on her body and mind until her body is over half-consumed. Her Bounty Hunter friends are all poisoned and mentally controlled by the Metroid creature that she herself set free, and she is forced to euthanise them.

Samus survives the Phazon War and dives into SR388, a place that people should never, ever go. She returns to her childhood home Zebes, murders another army of Pirates, and blows the planet up. She then sustains a second deadly infection, the X, and is taken to the very edge of death. She comes back from this no longer human, and finds that her greatest ally - the Galactic Federation - has been lying to her, has used her, and cares little whether she lives or dies. She is hunted down by her own armour, destroys another world, and lives the rest of her life on the run.

The Zero suit design does her such a disservice. Before Sakamoto mandated his vision of her, Retro had her looking like this:

bwd4epi.jpg

But my favourite is this incredibly cold, world-weary interpretation:

5M6IvwI.jpg

(I don't know the artist, I found it here).

Toxi

Banned
I don't mind the current face of Samus. Just because she experiences hardship doesn't mean her face has to be hardened. She still enjoyed herself at a bar in Fusion after being hunted, disfigured, partially absorbed by parasites, fused with Metroid DNA, suffering betrayal, and finding
her respected mentor reduced to a computer

I'm still disappointed they didn't go with the Prime face, though; it has more character.

Top Bottom