• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let’s look at gaming’s most ancient, epic revenge story.

The Chozo Lore is why I would love a Metroid RPG explaining their history in more detail. :)
I want a game set on Bryyo during their civil war. Wouldn't care if it were an RPG, RTS, or mech game.

But if I had my choice I'd like the Metroid 5 galactic fugitive game. She would be such a polorizing figure that her fall from grace with the Galactic Federation could plunge the galaxy into conflict. The remnants of the Chozo could surface to protect their savior. The Luminoth having been saved by Samus and reawoken from their cryopods would owe her their allegiance. Not to mention the humans within the Federation who learn about the experiments and the truth behind the events in fusion. The Aurora unit on Skytown has been augmented into the Chozo AI, it and its citizens owe Samus quite a lot. It could be a true epic.

Edit: Imagine mission based multiplayer similar to Battlefront in which you choose a faction and various classes. Hell, even the races of the other bounty hunters in Corruption and Hunters could be involved. After all, for a Galactic Federation, they seem quite Xenophobic based on the only race ever shown in their uniform. Considering their experiments and the fact that they brought Samus back after her ship crashed the be their wrapon, they are what Cerberus in Mass Effect would have been had they won.

Taruranto

gthWUpT.jpg

Is that... the triforce? Could it be Metroid is part of the Zelda timeline!?

Brofield

BRB buying every single Metroid game there is or ever will be.

Seriously, no amount of mass marketing from Nintendo could convince me like this did. I still don't know how this doesn't sell well in Japan.

I've been a Metroid fan since the beginning- my parents even took away my Metroid cartridge because I couldn't stop looking for hidden areas that nobody else knew about and that I would discover. I was obsessed.

I totally see the series in a new light now. Incredible OP.

MR, awesome thread but quick question for ya.

At the end of Metroid fusion, I thought when Samus absorbed the SA-X and regains the Varia suit/hyper beam to fight the omega Metroid, I always presumed that she also regains her humanity. Is there any canon regarding either way?

Again, great job!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Man oh man, what an awesome OP. Great thread man. Well done. I've played through maybe 5 Metroid games in my time, and I knew next to nothing of this collectively. Just major plot points and vague connectivity between. This is deep and powerful and well done, sir. Makes me want to play more! Or at least, read a graphic novel or something.

Hats off to you (again) mama, you SHOULD BE MAKING MILLIONS and Helping the indsutry being better,

Thanks (and thanks for the nice comments from everyone, its very encouraging!)

At the end of Metroid fusion, I thought when Samus absorbed the SA-X and regains the Varia suit/hyper beam to fight the omega Metroid, I always presumed that she also regains her humanity. Is there any canon regarding either way?

Again, great job!

If you accept post credits sequence as canon - when Samus is shown outside of her suit if you get a decent speed / percentage of secrets, then she seems to be restored.

I always saw those sequences as a nod to the gamer's skill and not actually part of the story though. It depends on your interpretation.

My interpretation is that Samus is on the run, disfigured and in a state of genetic flux due to the combination of human/Chozo/Metroid/X DNA inside her, and that in her solitude she will find a great destiny. Perhaps her unique physiology gives her a strength that no one else has, to save the universe from a yet-unseen threat - or brave a hostile planet so horrible that everyone else would die from exposure?

I hope that the series builds on what happened to Samus in Fusion, and doesn't just dismiss it.

Toxi

Banned
Love that Mario crossover image.

In an interview, Yoshio Sakamoto said that she becomes 100% human because the SA-X had her original genetic plan. Since he directed and wrote the game, that's probably the truth. I'm a bit disappointed about it, since Samus having the Metroid DNA in her body could have made for an easy Metroid 5 plot with her on the run from the GF who want that DNA to make new Metroids.

She also seemed to lose any scars; at the beginning of Fusion, the armor was surgically removed, "drastically altering" her appearance. At the end, she looks pretty normal.

Love that Mario crossover image.

In an interview, Yoshio Sakamoto said that she becomes 100% human because the SA-X had her original genetic plan. Since he directed and wrote the game, that's probably the truth. I'm a bit disappointed about it, since Samus having the Metroid DNA in her body could have made for an easy Metroid 5 plot with her on the run from the GF who want that DNA to make new Metroids.

She also seemed to lose any scars; at the beginning of Fusion, the armor was surgically removed, "drastically altering" her appearance. At the end, she looks pretty normal.

Thanks (and thanks for the nice comments from everyone, its very encouraging!)

If you accept post credits sequence as canon - when Samus is shown outside of her suit if you get a decent speed / percentage of secrets, then she seems to be restored.

I always saw those sequences as a nod to the gamer's skill and not actually part of the story though. It depends on your interpretation.

My interpretation is that Samus is on the run, disfigured and in a state of genetic flux due to the combination of human/Chozo/Metroid/X DNA inside her, and that in her solitude she will find a great destiny. Perhaps her unique physiology gives her a strength that no one else has, to save the universe from a yet-unseen threat - or brave a hostile planet so horrible that everyone else would die from exposure?

I hope that the series builds on what happened to Samus in Fusion, and doesn't just dismiss it.

Yeah, that was my thought exactly with all the various endings showing her without the armor. I don't see why they still can't have a bit of Metroid DNA in her...

Thanks though for the quick answer!

PK Gaming

That was quite the read, thank you mama robotnik.

I wish this somehow made it into metroid canon, the fleshed out backstory on the chozos and the living planet concept were freaking cool.

X parasite needs to make a return in the next Metroid game.

HYDE

Banned
Thanks for reinvigorating our desire to get Metroid: Dread. Man I have always wanted to know what happens with the planet since she has destroyed all Metroids and then all X parasites. Metroids kept X at bay and since they were all terminated X flourished. I think the planet survived, and was just damaged by the colliding space station. Is Samus now considered a parasite to a Metroid, since she's infused with X? I want to find a last frontier-like planet populated with living Chozo and their inventions...all while enjoying some new abilities never before obtained by Aran.
Maybe space pirates captured the X parasite and are using it to cause problems like creating X Prime or SA-X Ridley, Kraid, etc...

Well, even if you dismiss the post credits sequence, you still see her normal human-looking body anytime you get a game over. Her armor flies off exactly like in Super Metroid and you don't even see a hint of disfigurement.

Actually, if anything, the intro of the game only mentions the surgery (which they did to remove the infected parts of her suit while she was unconscious) altering her physical appearance.
(Maybe they had to cut off her hand to remove the arm cannon etc.) <-edit: Toxi and iirate make good points why this did not happen.

Even so, her being a Metroid mutation hybrid in the literal sense is most definitely not what the game implied, at least not to me. I'm not saying your interpretation is wrong, or that mine is right, I just feel like that image in your summary (among those other images being 1:1 recreations of actual game screens) is misrepresenting your view as a fact given by the game.

Toxi

Banned
Actually, if anything, the intro of the game only mentions the surgery (which they did to remove the infected parts of her suit while she was unconscious) altering her physical appearance. (Maybe they had to cut off her hand to remove the arm cannon etc.)
I was thinking of the game over animation, but I'm pretty sure she has both hands in the animation too.

"Large portions of my suit had to be surgically removed, dramatically altering my physical appearance."

Either her sprite is too small to show said changes to appearance, or the right hand wasn't talking to the left.

Zampano

This thread am holy shit. Makes me think I should actually power through my copy of Prime Trilogy (Super Metroid is one of my favourite games ever but something about playing in first person had always turned me off).

iirate

I just assumed the Fusion intro meant a lot of physical scarring, particularly where they removed the pieces surgically. She's well covered throughout the game, and I assume that anywhere the armor is still intact, she isn't disfigured(so her face should still be fine, etc.).

Also, I like the Metroid DNA not significantly messing with her appearance. I mean, it's not like the Chozo DNA seemed to do much in that department, either.

NaviLink

Great thread as usual.

I'd like to ask, how much of this is actual info from the games and other official sources, and how much is your own input based on those sources?

I've always been under the impression that the background of the Metroid franchise was quite sparse, at least until the Prime trilogy where the lore was more developped. That feeling of knowing very few elements was part of the appeal of those games, combined with being thrown in unknown environments you have to explore.

Nymphae

Banned
That was an awesome read, amazing work. I've always liked Metroid but have never went over everything like that, really makes me want to play through all the games again. Damn you!

spekkeh

Banned
Damn, never finished Metroid Fusion cause I thought it was boring (I don't like games where you get strung along). Mind well and truly blown at reading about the ending.

Mikeside

This was a fantastic read.
I've always been a huge Super Metroid fan, but never really knew a lot of the backstory or anything.

I want a series of novels covering all this in great depth. Stat!

NewGame

Banned

This was the best reveal of Samus face for a bunch of reasons.

- The first and most honest 3D viewing of Samus' face.
- Very grounded look.
- Somewhat Celtic/European looking, which is what I'd imagine considering her name.

I really hate the new 'anime' look Samus has like she's some sort of space barbie doll.

I didnt read the thread, Is there spoilers for MP Triology? Still havent played them, but are planning to soon.

Yes, it contains spoilers for all Metroid games (except Other M) because it's basically a summary of all those games, but it also contains lots of story bits that are not in any game or other official source to tie the games closer together.

It may even contradict the games in one instance, or at the very least present a very debatable viewpoint, see above for details (contains spoilers for Metroid Fusion).

Consider it a creative retelling of all the games with a heavy personal spin on it.

Vargavinter

Yes, it contains spoilers for all Metroid games (except Other M) because it's basically a summary of all those games, but it also contains lots of story bits that are not in any game or other official source to tie the games closer together.

It may even contradict the games in one instance, or at the very least present a very debatable viewpoint, see above for details (contains spoilers for Metroid Fusion).

Consider it a creative retelling of all the games with a heavy personal spin on it.
Thanks, gonna bookmark the page so i can read it when done with Prime. :)

explodet

Hope I'm not old with this.

So I was taking a brief break from work, and a link to this pops into my twitter feed.

The Spectacular Story Of Metroid, One Of Gaming's Richest Universes
The Spectacular Story Of Metroid, Part 2

I start reading, and thought to myself "Waaaait a minute, this looks familiar." It's content from this very thread! Images and all.
I scroll back up to check the byline, and thankfully it's properly credited to Mama Robotnik.

Mama Robotnik said:
My heartfelt appreciation to hundreds of my fellow NeoGAF members; over the years, their encouragement and feedback led me to become increasingly ambitious with my writing and research. Thanks to Kotaku for reaching out to me, and their support in publishing my first professional article.

Congrats to Mama Robotnik!
Best wishes for further success, it's well deserved.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

So I was taking a brief break from work, and a link to this pops into my twitter feed.

I start reading, and thought to myself "Waaaait a minute, this looks familiar." It's content from this very thread! Images and all.
I scroll back up to check the byline, and thankfully it's properly credited to Mama Robotnik.

Wow that's great!

le.phat

I love metroid! The one Nintendo series that could work in a mature re envisioning. Open world Fps adventure like the primes, spanning multiple planets, fully integrated hud ala deadspace, except because of the fp perspective, its all visible inside the helmet, albeit modeled. Full reflection of samus's face at al times, showing facial expressions and damage in accordance to the setting. Condence inside the helmet and outside. Lots of effects that impair the vision, so it becomes a minute and slowpaced adventure that has a dark souls pace. Make the wiiU pad an interface to control the suit's armosphere and abolites (regulating power for extra oxygen, health support, weight, shooting power, ect.)

Wow that's great!

Thanks guys! Its my first ever paid writing role, so its quite exciting!

The version of the article I rewrote for Kotaku is much much bigger in scope than the one in the OP, I also think it reads better too. Was fun to write!

In the new article, I received a really nice comment from Mike Wikan, the Senior Game Designer for all three Metroid Prime games:

Great stuff in this article! It's fun seeing it from an outside perspective when we spent so many years in Development working on the Prime series. Thanks for keeping the Torch lit! -Mike

I just thought it was awesome of him. I'll keep that torch lit.

CTLance

Finally got done with reading through the "revised edition" on kotaku. Just as awesome as I remember it.

Nicely done and congrats on your pro writing debut, Mama Robotnik.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
just read the revised Kotaku edition, and aside from a couple of annoying typos, it's fantastic

really gives you a much larger appreciation for the fact that Samus is maybe the biggest badass in video game history.

dmr87

Bumping so more people see this excellent piece, and to thank Mama for the hard work. That comment from Mike is awesome too, keep the fire going!

Top Bottom