• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's be honest guys, FFXIII is a solid 7.5/10 (RTTP)

Jawmuncher

If I had to rate 13 and 13-2 I would go

13 - 7.0
13-2 - 6.5

This is using the scale the right way and not that ridiculous way we always see.

ZenTzen

It wasn't good then, and it's still not good now.

-largely unremarkable cast with terrible and forgettable "antagonists"
-complete mess of a story filled with plot holes and inconsistent nonsense, including a betrayal that wasn't at all foreshadowed, yet Lightning somehow predicted in spite of not observing anything that would've led her to expect it either
-a world that's nothing more than pretty wallpaper rather than anything properly realized that actually makes you care about saving it (yeah, there's more of a point to towns than the ridiculously reductionist notion that they only serve as places to restock)
-completely railroaded progression and exploration leaving with absolutely nothing to do but fight, as much of a tube as it's been derided for being
-treats you like such an idiot that it won't even let you choose your own party until Ch. 9 out of 13
-Eidolon battles with illogical solutions, with the arrivals of said Eidolons making even less sense within the context of the story
-the point in Ch. 11 where the game supposedly "gets good" is just more of the same, minus the tube, taking 20+ hours to introduce an area that had an equivalent (down to the same initials) that was more competently realized and introduced in less than five in Xenoblade
-constantly directing players to a bloated database for the context and exposition that the game's narrative was too rushed and lazy to weave in properly, with the summary for the start of Ch. 12 being completely at odds with what was actually shown to you
-ADHD-addled combat system that starts out as something not too bad, then gets dull and repetitive as it revolves around getting enemies to stagger as quickly as possible while toggling between paradigms without any real sense of control of the party as you're basically just "coaching" them, all with the completely preposterous condition of Game Over upon death of the leader that's at no point rationalized, said combat system faring even worse thanks to sticking you with only two party members for more than half of the game when it was clearly designed for three
-terrible final boss that relies on not getting one-shot by a lucky instant death attack if you don't want to start it all over again, which you can't protect your leader from fully anyway

There was decent music, but the OST overall wasn't something that left the same impression on me as Uematsu's work, all while continuing the trend of Toriyama being allergic to including the FF victory fanfare in anything he directs (something that the equally unconventional yet actually good FFXII and even a side-game like Type-0 managed to get right). It was pretty, yes, but what of it? As said, it was wallpaper rather than anything that gave the impression of a world that lived and breathed. The best section of the game for me in respect to atmosphere and implementation was (late game spoilers)
the ruins of Oerba
, which also had what I considered one of the best tracks in the game accompanying it.

It was not a game that removed the "padding" of an RPG (especially not if you're actually playing it for its combat, which means you're going to be doing a lot of grinding anyway before it opens up), it was a game that removed the substance expected to be in one. In every way the antithesis of FFXII.

great post, completely agree with this

Steroyd

Was probably the worst Final Fantasy I've played... until I played Lightning Returns, at least I can claim I completed XIII and strived to get ultimate weapons, I'll be amazed if I ever completed that sack of turd that is Lightning dress up simulator.

sublimit

Banned
You know.. you can make fun of the man's work and whatnot but this is clearly crossing a line. Anyone ever teach you a thing about respect?

I agree.
I mean i hate FFXIII too but judging someone's work based on his appearance is the lowest of the low.

(And i actually think he looks fine it's just that particular photo that doesn't flater him.)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It was disappointing but I still really liked it, had the best combat system in any RPG I have played. I hated the changes they made to it in FFXIII-2, never bothered with the 3rd one. I'd give it a 7.5 or an 8

Zemm

Terrible game summed up by the shitty Leona Lewis song that was plastered on every advert break here for about 2 months. I can't even imagine how bad the rest of the trilogy must be if they're actually worse. FF15 has a chance to redeem the franchise but I'd be surprised if it ends up being good.

Flakster99

-complete mess of a story filled with plot holes and inconsistent nonsense, including a betrayal that wasn't at all foreshadowed, yet Lightning somehow predicted in spite of not observing anything that would've led her to expect it either
-a world that's nothing more than pretty wallpaper rather than anything properly realized that actually makes you care about saving it (yeah, there's more of a point to towns than the ridiculously reductionist notion that they only serve as places to restock)
-completely railroaded progression and exploration leaving you with absolutely nothing to do but fight, as much of a tube as it's been derided for being
-treats you like such an idiot that it won't even let you choose your own party until Ch. 9 out of 13
-Eidolon battles with illogical solutions, with the arrivals of said Eidolons making even less sense within the context of the story
-the point in Ch. 11 where the game supposedly "gets good" is just more of the same, minus the tube, taking 20+ hours to introduce an area that had an equivalent (down to the same initials) that was more competently realized and introduced in less than five in Xenoblade
-constantly directing players to a bloated database for the context and exposition that the game's narrative was too rushed and lazy to weave in properly, with the summary for the start of Ch. 12 being completely at odds with what was actually shown to you
-ADHD-addled combat system that starts out as something not too bad, then gets dull and repetitive as it revolves around getting enemies to stagger as quickly as possible while toggling between paradigms without any real sense of control of the party as you're basically just "coaching" them, all with the completely preposterous condition of Game Over upon death of the leader that's at no point rationalized, said combat system faring even worse thanks to sticking you with only two party members for more than half of the game when it was clearly designed for three
-terrible final boss that relies on not getting one-shot by a lucky instant death attack if you don't want to start it all over again, which you can't protect your leader from fully anyway

There was decent music, but the OST overall wasn't something that left the same impression on me as Uematsu's work, all while continuing the trend of Toriyama being allergic to including the FF victory fanfare in anything he directs (something that the equally unconventional yet actually good FFXII and even a side-game like Type-0 managed to get right). It was pretty, yes, but what of it? As said, it was wallpaper rather than anything that gave the impression of a world that lived and breathed. The best section of the game for me in respect to atmosphere and implementation was (late game spoilers)
the ruins of Oerba
, which also had what I considered one of the best tracks in the game accompanying it.

It was not a game that removed the "padding" of an RPG (especially not if you're actually playing it for its combat, which means you're going to be doing a lot of grinding anyway before it opens up), it was a game that removed the substance expected to be in one. In every way the antithesis of FFXII.

I'm going to comp out and not type out my response and instead state that I share this persons opinion. Outside of the graphics, from top to bottom, the game was a disaster.

And if I had to score the game I would without hesitation label Final Fantasy XIII a 3/10 experience, a prettied up piece of shit.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I was always a bit confused by people who said that this game was absolutely gorgeous. I mean it's not completely ugly, but there are some wonky backgrounds, character designs, and color choices. Plus, the scaling on the PS3 was really strange.

Overall, I didn't really like FFXIII. It was definitely, a game that forced you to keep going if you wanted to keep going. There was nothing exciting about it until you got to pulse, and then after that, if you got some good pointers (from GAF) you could do a few of the side-missions, upgrade your weapon of choice, and then finish the game in 45 hours or so. Note that 20 hours of that is completely linear and scripted, so you never "max" your character.

It was a really disappointing game.

HeelPower

Look at the guy, he looks like a dirty old man. This disfigured ogre must be slain by the CEO, but his fetish of Lightning is too strong and apparently there must be some contractual issues to prevent his destruction.
Motomu_Toriyama_Mugshot.jpg

unacceptable, pathetic post.

This post is a solid 1/10 in my book.

So instead of providing your own, you decide your contribution to the thread is gonna be hating on someone else's opinion? How much do you need to know that it's a bad game? The graphics were average, it came out right around the time of Heavy Rain and GoWIII, it was nothing special, as was the backgrounds and world. The story was nonsensical and forgettable, the characters were annoying, the dialogue was awful, the combat system was shit (should've been ARPG if they wanted to capture the feel of fast cinematic action), the music was terrible (I can't think of a single song that stood out yet I can sum up and hum the entire OST of VI). All in all it's the most unmemorable game I've ever played.

These high scores you people give this actually upsets me. You are the reason games like FFVI and FFIX will never happen again. Its a shame.

I liked 6 (although I prefer 4 because it's not as campy and it has better music, characters, story, etc.), but I couldn't stand 9. In every Final Fantasy game I've played, I could usually find a few characters I liked and there were ones I disliked, but I wanted all of them dead after 10 or so hours and gave up on it. Yes, even Vivi.

That's one reason I like Final Fantasy though. It doesn't always do things the same. Sure, I like Final Fantasy IV and wouldn't mind more like that, but for those that didn't like IV, one was enough. And for those who didn't like XIII, XV could be a breath of fresh air (or XIV). I think XIII gets so much hate because it consumed a whole generation, although we really can't blame XIII or its developers because XIII VS's developers couldn't get their shit together.

You know.. you can make fun of the man's work and whatnot but this is clearly crossing a line. Anyone ever teach you a thing about respect?

You know I was joking about him being an ogre right? Also, I do know what respect is and this man deserves none of mine.

For years, Square has give this man a few of some of their most famous IP's. Final Fantasy, Parasite Eve, Front Mission, and do you know how well the story in those game fared compared to their prequels.

Horribly, Parasite Eve might as well be dead because of the shitty mess of a story he created. Do you know what happened when they told him he could make his own IP, aka, MindJack? That was an atrocity and the godawful story did not help as well.

This man has fucked up so many times that you think that Square would demote or fire the guy but nope, they still keep him and let him write D grade material. I usually can stand bad stories but man, there is something pretentious the way he tells them that makes me pull my hair out.

Yeah, it's mean to make fun of his appearances but I don't know why you are getting so offended of me joking about him not to mention it's not like he goes online and reads this stuff. Even if he did, he probably wouldn't care at all and go back to writing his next fan fiction starring Lightning's new adventure.

Riposte

You know I was joking about him being an ogre right? Also, I do know what respect is and this man deserves none of mine.

For years, Square has give this man a few of some of their most famous IP's. Final Fantasy, Parasite Eve, Front Mission, and do you know how well the story in those game fared compared to their prequels.

Horribly, Parasite Eve might as well be dead because of the shitty mess of a story he created. Do you know what happened when they told him he could make his own IP, aka, MindJack? That was an atrocity and the godawful story did not help as well.

This man has fucked up so many times that you think that Square would demote or fire the guy but nope, they still keep him and let him write D grade material. I usually can stand bad stories but man, there is something pretentious the way he tells them that makes me pull my hair out.

Yeah, it's mean to make fun of his appearances but I don't know why you are getting so offended of me joking about him not to mention it's not like he goes online and reads this stuff. Even if he did, he probably wouldn't care at all and go back to writing his next fan fiction starring Lightning's new adventure.

Look how mad this dude is at videogames.

Kumo

Yup, 7-8 out of 10 is where this game stands for me, which means it's a good game. It's just that a 7-8 out of 10 is a disappointing score for a mainline FF game.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

He's not offended, he is pointing out that your being childish. And childish posts often lead to bans, which are permanent for junior members.

He's not offended, he is pointing out that your being childish. And childish posts often lead to bans, which are permanent for junior members.

Alright, I admit, I am being a bit childish and I do have a hatred for Toriyama and I do go on a bit when there is a thread about him and get out of control. I'll just leave the thread for good and you guys to continue your discussion on this topic.

Daft_Cat

7.5 sounds fair to me. Enjoyed the game when I played it, but it didn't make nearly as strong an impact as other games in the franchise. Aesthetically, everything was up to snuff... but the whole experience was hollow.

You're so bitter over how he handled your precious JRPG stories that you'd reduce yourself to attacking the way he looks? Get a fucking life, junior.

Canucked

The game was okay. Fun at points. I really liked hunting monsters but you really didn't get into that until far too late.

Lightning is probably the most bland character ever. I didn't care for most of the cast but I won't even touch the game that has her as the only party member.

7/10

A game is a culmination of all it's parts and most of the important parts are unfortunately shit in FF XIII. Combat is awful. The story is also bad. Characters are bad. Good, but not great presentation isn't enough to carry the game.

Bad/10.

edotlee

It gets a 6.5/10 for me. It's a decent game that had potential, but in the end it isn't all that memorable. It's the only FF that I finished and didn't want to play over again.

The gameplay had so much potential (which doesn't get realized until the sequels), but it takes too long to get the training wheels off of it. And when you finally get full reigns of it, the battles are too easy, so all you have to do is "Auto Battle". It's a shame since it really does get fun when the enemies are difficult.

Graphics were good for its time. I don't think many could argue against this. Very vibrant, maybe the art direction wasn't the best but no complaints here.

The story... what can I say? If you're going to make a corridor RPG, the story better hit on all cylinders and it doesn't. Some of the best parts are thrown in the data logs. Unfortunate to say the least.

The characters on the most part were okay. The dialogue and voice acting kind of killed it for some though (ugh, Vanille). Again, she could've been a great character with the back story she has but she's so damn annoying.

Great potential, but terrible execution. That pretty much sums up the game for me.

Ric Flair

Banned
The story never drew me in and I lost interest about 1/3 the way into the game. Also didn't like the battle system much, too simplified. I remember really liking the graphics though, beautiful game

Nimby

Banned
Masashi Hamauzu is a god, Don't understand the hate for the soundtrack, maybe some people just like to blindly hate, I dunno.

You don't need to respect him as a video game director, but you should at least respect him as a person.

Fjordson

Way too generous of a score to me. I remember it looking nice, but that's about it. Just an unmitigated disaster of a game. That goes for the whole trilogy really.

I enjoyed the gameplay and graphics but the story was just very forgettable. I clearly remember FF7,FF8,FF9FF10 and FF12 because they all had some interesting characters and story, but FF13 even though it's the newest of them nothing really stuck from FF13 it was very forgettable it's basically a C level version of what FFX did. but the characters were all boring and flat. Sazh was good comedy relief but that's it.

IMO, the biggest flaws were the confusing story telling, dramatic lame dialogues, and the lack of open space (hallways).
If they could've just explained the story a bit better and in a none dramatic confusing way, I think the rest could be more forgiving.

Battle system though was good. Although I wish they had some sort of "limit break" rather than a max bar skill. I also wished there was use of that anti gravity thing.

Those who disliked the battle system or thought it was simple, have you tried juggling a long GUI throughout the battle? It's quite fun.

13 was one my fav FFs. Only one I didn't really like was FF2

mrlion

I give the game an 8 out of 10.

Its really not as bad as people say it is. Yes it has flaws and I don't like the rather apparent linearity but the combat is fantastic and makes me want to get back to it again. No...you guys don't really know what a bad game is.

MormaPope

Banned

-completely railroaded progression and exploration leaving you with absolutely nothing to do but fight, as much of a tube as it's been derided for being

the ruins of Oerba

All of this, agreed agreed agreed.

TheContact

I liked 13's graphics and battle system, despite some flaws with them both. The story is easily the worst thing I've ever encountered in my entire life. It's beyond terrible. It's uncomfortably bad and awkward. It really made me realize that the Final Fantasy brand died for me back in 2006 with the release of FF12.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I haven't beaten it yet, because my PS3 died on me when I was about 36 hours into the game, and I haven't had the heart to go back to it, but I liked it.

I thought the story and characters were interesting compared to the standard kept template, graphics were great. Battle system was interesting and strategic, especially later on, and I didn't mind the more linear structure. I think that if the game was going by any other name but "Final Fantasy," not as many people would have been so hard on it.

Mechanically, it did a lot of really nice things that I wish more traditional he pgs would look to, such as being able to shop for items, potions, and armor at save points, as well as being able to retry failed battles, so you aren't re-traversing an entire dungeon just to get back to that one battle again.

It was incredibly polished, with a great musical score. It's not my favorite rpg, but it was certainly enjoyable up until my PS3 gave up the ghost while my wife was playing Fallout 3.

Kssio_Aug

Yeah, I'm ok giving it a 7~7.5. Not more then this though!
Its the worst Final Fantasy game I have ever played (and I've played every main Final Fantasy, except for XI - neither XIII-2 or XIII-3). The charactes, except for Lightning, are really bad, their "performance" is pretty horrible (can't forget that Hope's mom scene, and neither his reaction after it > none), and the world was reduced to corridors until Gran Pulse.

I would not give it lower score though because the combat system is pretty damn good! Also Gran Pulse is quite nice. And even with that rushed gameplay (like, you barely can come back at any area), there were some pretty nice encounters.

Not a good Final Fantasy at all. But a decent game!

jptrey06

It's not a bad game at all. If it wasn't a final fantasy game I'm pretty sure most people won't complain that much about it. Sure the story is a little boring, but I actually enjoyed the game. Can't say the same to xiii-2 though.

Gotta agree with 7.5.
For Xiii-2: 5/10

MormaPope

Banned
Something I'll never get are the FFX deflections. Yeah, FFX is linear, extremely linear, but the illusion of a real world existing was so much stronger in FFX. FFXIII is so goddamn lonely, and the only company you get are stiff, grumpy, hopelessly simple characters that feel like caricatures of emotion. Not to mention the main cast of FFXIII are immediately labelled and fated to become monsters or crystals. The game is so confined in design, story, characters, pacing. Your brain begins to suffocate mentally because everything is so one note.

In FFX the main character is a teen dude that resents his father, likes to chase girls, and loves to play sports. That shit is simple, we might not relate to Tidus on a personal level, but we can relate to him as a human being. His main goal when thrown into Spira is to return home, but he eventually realizes that he's never going home, that he has to live in this world.

Wakka is a veteran sports dude who lost his brother to Sin, he's highly religious but a bro. Lulu is a cynical, but thoughtful person that lost her partner to Sin. Yuna is a naive but goodwilled person that feels honored to live a life that her father lived. Kimahri is a lonely beastman that feels comforted by Yuna. Auron is a wise and chiseled warrior that acts as a guardian to the entire party. Rikku is a goofy but goodhearted teen. Jecht was a poor father, but a great friend and comrade.

The main goal of Yuna is to defeat Sin and to bring peace to the world, all of the characters being connected to Yuna somehow makes that universal party goal seem believable. Sin is Jecht, Jecht brought Tidus to this world, can he take him home? How did he become Sin? What is Sin?

People may not like the story or characters, but its cohesive at all times when it comes to motivations and characterization. I honestly don't know if FFXIII is cohesive because a large part of the game takes place with two people at a time, discussing things randomly, and running into shit randomly. The pacing is absolutely abysmal. Good plots have rhythm, FFXIII has absolutely no rhythm.

When it comes to combat, FFX is better at general pacing and strategy forming. Its rock paper scissors, really easy to understand and there isn't a whole to master when it comes to normal confrontations. Boss fights are when it takes good planning and on the fly thinking. There are a ton of viable strategies against multiple bosses. In FFXIII you get a penalty rating for setting the combat speed to slow, essentially slapping the player on the wrist for not wanting to use auto attack in the first 10 chapters.

I've only played about 2 hours of this game and have never beaten a Final Fantasy game, but are you telling me this game has no towns? I'm just curious. I don't know how far I am, but I'm still near the beginning when you're in some futuristic cathedral thing(?) I don't know. This game didn't grab me when I first tried it, but I was hoping I could go back and find something to love about it. No towns though? That's what makes JRPGs feel like living worlds.

MilesTeg

Banned
The problem with the FFX connection between FFXIII is self explanatory. Neither is that great of a game. FFX is highly overrated and frankly can't compare to the quality of FFIV-FFIX. FFX is hugely overrated, it sold well because it was the first FF on next gen hardware and it released in the west just before Christmas which boosted sales significantly. Game was a huge disappointment and contemplating why it sold well vs other FF games is a waste of time, and implementing it's gameplay aspects is an exercise in futility because it offers nothing truly worth replicating in future games.

Was FFX better than XIII? Yes. Was it THAT much better? No.

MormaPope

Banned
I've only played about 2 hours of this game and have never beaten a Final Fantasy game, but are you telling me this game has no towns? I'm just curious. I don't know how far I am, but I'm still near the beginning when you're in some futuristic cathedral thing(?) I don't know. This game didn't grab me when I first tried it, but I was hoping I could go back and find something to love about it. No towns though? That's what makes JRPGs feel like living worlds.

No towns. Eventually the game opens up after 15 or so hours, you can then customize your party fully.

The problem with the FFX connection between FFXIII is self explanatory. Neither is that great of a game. FFX is highly overrated and frankly can't compare to the quality of FFIV-FFIX. FFX is hugely overrated, it sold well because it was the first FF on next gen hardware and it released in the west just before Christmas which boosted sales significantly. Game was a huge disappointment and contemplating why it sold well vs other FF games is a waste of time, and implementing it's gameplay aspects is an exercise in futility because it offers nothing truly worth replicating in future games.

Was FFX better than XIII? Yes. Was it THAT much better? No.

"All the Final Fantasy's I like aren't overrated, the Final Fantasy's I don't like are" is essentially a canned response at this point. You didn't even list any criticism.

No towns. Eventually the game opens up after 15 or so hours, you can then customize your party fully.

Eh, that's kind of lame. As a JRPG outsider, I've always been drawn to the interesting worlds that Final Fantasy games offer. The only problem is, I haven't been pulled in by a single one.

FFX: I got to that really awkward laughing scene, and gave up. That was a few years ago, so maybe I'll go back...

FFIX: I'm currently stuck in the ice cave unable to beat that boss(?) Right after my party falls asleep or something. Cant beat him. Can't say I'm finding it all that interesting. Maybe I need to give it more time.

FFVII: played it when I was 8 and had no idea what was going on. I would give it another try, but I already know that that person dies, so I feel like I wouldn't care

I realize this is totally a personal rant, and I apologize if it's slightly off topic.

Top Bottom