• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's convince Nintendo to go region-free!

AFAIK, importing has only had positive effects; we got Elite Beat Agents, Rhythm Heaven GBA generated a lot of buzz so we got the DS one...
But both EBA and RH were massive flops in the West. Still that does not explain a region lock or if it does then it is a petty line of reasoning "you bought Ouendan and liked it, we made it more American for you. Introducing Elite Beat Agents. What do you mean you don't want it? Thats it we're region locking you so you can't play the next thing like Ouendan and trick us..."

also

Banned
But both EBA and RH were massive flops in the West. Still that does not explain a region lock or if it does then it is a petty line of reasoning "you bought Ouendan and liked it, we made it more American for you. Introducing Elite Beat Agents. What do you mean you don't want it? Thats it we're region locking you so you can't play the next thing like Ouendan and trick us..."

I don't know about Europe, but EBA was not a massive flop in NA. Sure, it didn't meet their expectations but 179k seems decent for what EBA was.
Rhythm Heaven is unfortunate, though they still brought the Wii version over, so it must not have done that terribly. I mean, they even went through the trouble of replacing a Japanese centric minigame in the Wii version instead of just removing it. Maybe if the localization wasn't so sub par and if the game used buttons the DS version could have done better... Yeah, the Wii version had both of those, but the Wii was pretty much dead when it released.

And at the end of the day, they still only lose sales and generate negative word of mouth by region locking their consoles ''to spite the importers that tricked them''. I sure hope they provide us a more reasonable explanation.

RedSwirl

Yeah, no. Persona 4 Arena was a special case because the Western release also featured Japanese voices and text, so it was basically the same as the Japanese one. Not many games are like that so the market for reverse importing is tiny.
Also, the difference in price wasn't nearly that big (60$ Vs 7329¥ ~ 74$) and when you factor in shipping cost, the price is pretty much the same. You would probably have more luck finding a second hand or discounted copy in Japan than waiting for the US copy to arrive.

People always say how region free will destroy local publishers,discourage localization or whatever, but I have yet to see a single story about actual negative effects of region free gaming. AFAIK, importing has only had positive effects; we got Elite Beat Agents, Rhythm Heaven GBA generated a lot of buzz so we got the DS one...

Yeah, but tell that to companies like Index.

...and Atlus USA even noted the price difference and similarity of language content as being the main factor. It's probably also why the US Persona 4 anime Blu-Ray is dub-only. Even if that reasoning is bullshit, it's what Index believes.

Good morning. In less than an hour, gamers from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest fan-driven campaign in this history of mankind.

Mankind -- that word should have new meaning for all of us today.

We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore.

We will be united in our common interests.

Perhaps its fate that this week is the 4th of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution -- but from anti-consumerism.

We're fighting for our right to import, and to play.

And should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice:

We will not go quietly into the night!

We will not vanish without a fight!

We're going to game on!

We're going to import and play what we like!

This week, we celebrate our Independence Day!

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAAD4UV51-cUUCA

Good morning. In less than an hour, gamers from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest fan-driven campaign in this history of mankind.

Mankind -- that word should have new meaning for all of us today.

We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore.

We will be united in our common interests.

Perhaps its fate that this week is the 4th of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution -- but from anti-consumerism.

We're fighting for our right to import, and to play.

And should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice:

We will not go quietly into the night!

We will not vanish without a fight!

We're going to game on!

We're going to import and play what we like!

This week, we celebrate our Independence Day!
I picked a hell of a day to quit drinking.

HEAR HEAR!

Mokaman51

Neo Member
This thread needs to be noticed at all hours (as it seems to be slowly put back a few pages on NeoGAF)... only a little more than 1000 on the petition to go.

also

Banned

...and Atlus USA even noted the price difference and similarity of language content as being the main factor. It's probably also why the US Persona 4 anime Blu-Ray is dub-only. Even if that reasoning is bullshit, it's what Index believes.

Well, last I checked the anime prices are exorbitant in Japan, so the market for reverse importing would be much greater.

Durante

Well, good thing Index won't be a problem much longer!

LAA

I'm definitely all for ending Region locks wherever they may be!
However, I dont think Nintendo seem to really listen to their customers, I think its pretty disgusting they havent even responded to it, I guess they want to ignore it and brush it under the carpet.
In fact, I believe that Operation Rainfall that wanted the 3 Wii JRPGS in the US, Nintendo denied that its because of Operation Rainfall's efforts that the games will be coming to the US, like it was a bad thing...

I still love nintendo for their games and innovation, but as a company... they're too stuck in their own ways.
I'd love achievements, messaging and "True accounts" for Wii U as well, but even if me and a lot of consumers want it, Nintendo dont really care I guess, starting to become more of a company that doesnt make products/services for the people, just for themselves.

People.

Nintendo just posted this on their Wii U facebook page:

Happy Social Media Day! You can share your Miiverse posts and drawings on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Google+. Celebrate with us by using #Miiverse #SMDay when you share.

Now is our time.

I missed out on a 120 quid 3DS XL deal because I want to import SMT4 next month and not wait a year. Now I have to pay double for the handheld, thanks Nintendo.

With their fantastic social media focus (probably more than any other in gaming), I'm surprised people still whine that Nintendo doesn't understand online. I mean, just because some games don't support all the online options you want doesn't mean they don't GET online. Hell, we got a sequel to Sin and Punishment because of the internet (VC sales) and Earthbound on VC because of social media (when we were told repeatedly a digital release would NEVER happen).

I'm interested to see where this goes. Is it something you can just do in a firmware update though?

With their fantastic social media focus (probably more than any other in gaming), I'm surprised people still whine that Nintendo doesn't understand online. I mean, just because some games don't support all the online options you want doesn't mean they don't GET online. Hell, we got a sequel to Sin and Punishment because of the internet (VC sales) and Earthbound on VC because of social media (when we were told repeatedly a digital release would NEVER happen).

I'm interested to see where this goes. Is it something you can just do in a firmware update though?

That's the assumption. We just need as much support as possible to push Nintendo to do it.

Doczu

I'm a bit worried that there is no official response from Nintendo at this point. I hope they are not trying to wait this over, hoping it will die a natural death if they keep silent.

mclem

Can 3DS and Wii U region lock be fixed with a patch?

The technical limitation should be removable, but it's worth bearing in mind that contracts may have been signed depending on the inclusion of region locking; there may well be legal hurdles.

For now, I think the most likely prospect is that publishers get the option to release future games as region-free, with Nintendo passing the buck onto them.

Taker666

The technical limitation should be removable, but it's worth bearing in mind that contracts may have been signed depending on the inclusion of region locking; there may well be legal hurdles.

For now, I think the most likely prospect is that publishers get the option to release future games as region-free, with Nintendo passing the buck onto them.

With the eshop there's no actual reason why region lock should be a barrier anyway.

I mean Capcom are allowed to release Phoenix Wright in English only in Europe....so it would appear that any company could do that worldwide with any game if they wanted to. I'd imagine a Japanese dev could release a Japanese language version worldwide on the eshop if they wished.

Shoyz

Yes but of course imports cost more.

Not really..my all-white LL cost a few bucks more than $180 + $20 fedex shipping. It was less than buying an XL here in the states, after tax. Price gouging can make it cost more, but that would apply to LEs even here post-release.

also

Banned
With the eshop there's no actual reason why region lock should be a barrier anyway.

I mean Capcom are allowed to release Phoenix Wright in English only in Europe....so it would appear that any company could do that worldwide with any game if they wanted to. I'd imagine a Japanese dev could release a Japanese language version worldwide on the eshop if they wished.

If you officially release the game in another region, you must also rate that game. You may also need to renegotiate contracts with voice actors, musicians... That's not a process everyone is willing to go through.

Up to this point, it's been centered on the Nintendo @ E3 2013 Community, but since it's temporary, I recommend using the YouTube Community.

OK, thank you. Posting now.

Edit:

And here it is:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYIHAAABAADRUV6fjq6Fjw
Nintendo, I am not pleased that your DRM is now the worst out of every console manufacturer. Please end region locking so I can buy your games. Really, here's my money, just let me buy them.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAADOUV51_ULCSw
zlCfzRCPypcgEnk3go

I just heard a PAL 3DS isn't able to go online in Japan at all. Is that true or just a misinterpretation on my part?

Geachte heer/mevrouw,

Een PAL Nintendo 3DS XL kan niet online in Japan. Deze kan dus helaas geen verbinding maken met een Nintendo Zone in Japan.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Nintendo Benelux B.V.

>>> --Someone, somewhere -- 29-6-2013 17:15 >>>
Online Support Form

Dropdown1: Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection

Dropdown2: Nintendo 3DS

Ik heb een PAL 3DS(XL). Verbindt deze automatisch dan wel handmatig met een Nintendo Zone hotspot in Japan?

Dear sir/madam,

A PAL 3DS cannot go online in Japan. It therefore can't connect to a Nintendo Zone in Japan.

Yours sincerely,
Nintendo Benelux B.V.

>>> --Someone, somewhere -- 29-6-2013 17:15 >>>
Online Support Form

Dropdown1: Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection

Dropdown2: Nintendo 3DS

I own a PAL 3DS(XL). Does it automatically or manually connect to a Nintendo Zone hotspot in Japan?

If this is true (and if it is even possible), that is rather sad. Even more reason to want to end region locking.

Top Bottom