• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's cut the ******** What's your Top 3 choices for Next-Gen now?

Cubsfan23

Banned
yeah yeah, the games haven't been played yet, but the damage has been done. Post your top 3 Pre-E3, and your current choices.

Pre-E3:

TIE: Xbox/ps3
distant 3rd: Wii

Current position:

1. Xbox
2. Wii
3. Ps3

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
i dunno, the 360s conference was good, but i still dont feel like its that great. the software for me just isnt quite there yet.

but the price puts it over the ps3 defacto.

so i guess wii 360 and then ps3.

Maridia

sp0rsk said:
i dunno, the 360s conference was good, but i still dont feel like its that great. the software for me just isnt quite there yet.

but the price puts it over the ps3 defacto.

so i guess wii 360 and then ps3.

Pretty much.

sprsk

i knew i had answered a question similar to this today, man i need ot get some sleep

Bebpo

Banned
Before Conferences:
1. PS3
2. X360
3. Wii

After Conferences:
1. PS3
2. X360
3. Wii

After actually playing the games tomorrow?
1. ???
2. ???
3. ???

I am a Nintendo nut so I'll but Wii regardless, but the 360 and PS3 conferences impressed me to the point where I really can't see Wii being my stand-alone console for long.

Cyris just looks so fuckin' amazing.

Wii had really piss graphics all around (nothing very impressive other than Mario).

it all looks good, but in a few days, I'll be playing New Super Mario Bros..

And that's what really matters.

Oh and for the record, Wii for the Wiin.

And i might consider a 360, since I forsee it getting many exclusives in the not-so-distant future.

firex

360, wii, ps3

the only way I'll buy a ps3 is when they have a fire sale at like $300 for the premium pack after it bombs harder than 3DO.

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
it all looks good, but in a few days, I'll be playing New Super Mario Bros..

And that's what really matters.

And Moto GP 06!

DS + 360 will keep me busy until we really know about Wii and PS3 in November.

Edit...Not to mention this holiday... 16 more 360 games, or a PS3... same price :O Or A Wii, 3 games, and 10 or so 360 games for the same ~$750 (PS3 + two games IF you can get one with some crazy bundle!!)

I will definitely buy a PS3. But not until I can do so for roughly $200-250 Cdn, so likely in 7 years (which sucks).

Wii will be mine day and date of launch, likely along with many of the currently announced launch games (if they all make it).

Xbox360, like the Xbox, still has a lot to prove to my particular gaming taste before I'm willing to shell out the cash for one.

DS alone keeps my budget pretty tied up.

Pre-conference

Wii
PS3

Post-conference

Wii
PS3

And no, I'm not a Nintendo fanboi. I didn't even own a Nintendo console until the Gamecube. Price is a big consideration for me...especially given that Sony isn't exactly known for making rock solid, no-fail hardware...or getting behind playback techonology that lasts and lasts (UMD lol?) And what I've seen from the Wii so far looks neat and fresh.

I love my PS2 and I loved my PS1. I will not pay $600 for a console. Ever. I will not settle for a ($500!) tard-pack, either.

dlow-

1. Wii
2. PS3
3. Xbox

Both the PS3 and Xbox are so overpriced IMO that I likely won't get either. I really want to play VF5 and whatever else AM2 puts out but can't justify a console priced that high just for Virtua Fighter, especially considering no one else I know really enjoys the VF series. Maybe eventually the price will drop low enough or I can use eBay to my advantage early on.

Gek54

Cubsfan23 said:
yeah yeah, the games haven't been played yet, but the damage has been done. Post your top 3 Pre-E3, and your current choices.

Pre-E3:

TIE: Xbox/ps3
distant 3rd: Wii

Current position:

1. Xbox
2. Wii
3. Ps3

same

Phoenix

My situation hasn't changed

PS3/X360
Wii

At the moment all of the have the same derivative content that they've evolved over the gens so I don't really see a major shift in things. The PS3 will survive this, they will still have some exclusives that will drive people to them. If Sony is smart they will only launch with the high-end SKU and subsidize costs with bundle subsidies to the retailers and a free BluRay movie or two. Hell they own the IP, would cost them next to nothing to do it. Then after milking the early adopters and getting a lot of the $600 systems out there, price drop and recoup through software sales. Sony right now has an image problem that I'm sure they can market their way out of (especially when Microsoft announces the price for their HD/DVD addon... and I'm sure SOny was expecting it... but now they must roast in their own juices like a rotisserie chicken). They have to convince people that the console is worth the extra money and that will mean sucking it up and giving a lot of shit to the third party devs even if it means they produce titles that outshine your own. They have to stop looking like thieves: robing Microsoft, Nintendo, and well - gamers. The PS3 is being rushed to market and everthing about Sony's launch feels shoddy and incomplete. I wouldn't touch a launch unit without buying some form of 5 year warranty for it :)

Microsoft is in a different boat. They aren't really in the commanding position many GAF folks think. While I'm sure Sony just helped Microsoft to an extra 5 million consoles over the next 12 months, they've got to tighten up that content pipeline. Too much complete crap is making its way to the X360 and too many of the good games are known to still be coming for the PS3. As such many people will still grudgingly put down the extra money for the PS3 with the expectation (however correct or incorrect it may be) of a more diverse content tree. Especially since Japan has still been treating the 360 like a used condom. Microsoft is really in the sweet spot. They are priced competitively in their skus to the point where they won't have to lower their prices and they are moving forward with their online plans and building a lot of good will in the development and gaming communities.

Nintendo has a real chance IMO if they can come in with a low price and some must buy games. What the space lacks right now isn't graphics - its gameplay innovation and apparently most of the devs out there are more concerned with getting more shader effects running smoothly than coming up with a compelling and enriching gaming experience. Nintendo can certainly exploit this, particularly with the casual gamer, and regain a lot of lost ground. Nintendo's problem is that the market has them squarely as an 'also ran'. Unless they could get large numbers behind their platform, its all but certain that any content of worth for the Wii will end up on the PS3.

All that said, I just don't see any real reasons to purchase any of them right now. SOmeonebody build something new, innovative, and cool that I haven't seen before and I'll be there.

Kuroyume

Banned
1. 360
2. PS3
3. Wii

Sorry, but the Wii controller looks lame. It didn't impress me at all. I'm happy that Mario looks nice, but everything else looked worse than some of the GC's best. There's no reason why RS amd MP3 should look worse than other FPS games released back in Fall '04.

Btw, so far I'm only really excited about MGS 4 for the PS3. None of the other games looked that interesting. Nomura is back to back to making emo JPOP FF bullshit so that series is dead to me. Fuck you cosplayers and anime freaks for that -_- Was Nomura responsible for FF8? I just want that again... PLEASE Enough with the girly men dressed in leather with long black hair over their eyes.

I'm getting them in this order:

1. 360
2. Wii
3. PS3

There's no way I'm going to lay down $500 or $600 for a first generation Sony console! If that thing breaks down in the first few months as I expect it to (since it's not from Nintendo,) I would lose my fucking mind.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
all three are good and bad in different ways , the catch now is whether people have the cash to own all three.

To cover all the bases is becoming a more and more a challenge.

Damn, i don't want to have to spend $600 to justify my sony trolling - ah, but it'll be worth it i guess! I'd just spend it on hookers anyways. ;)

MaddenNFL64

Wii
X360
PS3

BTW, i am just getting a Wii & X360 for now. The PS3 can wait a few years, since I'll get most of it's games anyway.

MGS4 will be ported. Believe it.

Nothing against Sony, just that $600 price tag. Screw that.

sprsk

DCharlie said:
all three are good and bad in different ways , the catch now is whether people have the cash to own all three.

To cover all the bases is becoming a more and more a challenge.

Damn, i don't want to have to spend $600 to justify my sony trolling - ah, but it'll be worth it i guess! I'd just spend it on hookers anyways. ;)

could you buy me one too

Chrono

Banned
Before conferences: Wii/PS3.

After conferences: Wii/PS3... I just won't get them this year.

Screw 'next-gen' and the hype. Sony's price is BS. All the games were prettier versions of stuff we've had. What happened to the 'plays next gen lol lol ;) ;) ;) ' comments on Heavenly Sword? Now it looks awesome but it's still your average action game.

And nintendo didn't deliver any 'new experiences' with Wii. Any moron could've predicted a tennis game would work well with the controller. The problem is that it's only a TENNIS GAME. Where are all those new concepts that only work with the revmote? It was all on Nintendo to legitimize the controller and all they have is a tennis game and accurate arrow shooting Zelda? Not a single innovative/fresh game displayed.

Unbelievable. This is EAD we're talking about. These guys made the controller, they had it the longest. Shiggy said Mario 128 will have the freshness that Sunshine didn't have, so they must've been working on something original, right? I guess they'll make a bunch of good traditional games with some motion control added in the next few years and yeah they'll be good. There should be more than usual, dev costs are pretty cheap for a console like Wii. I still can't get over it though. I hope there's more, but I'm not expecting much. This'll be a nightmare if Wii takes over jpn and all the big developers there make it their primary console and we're stuck with gamecube + now-proven-barely-useful gimmick for the next generation. Sheesh.

White Man

My impressions so far:

Wii:

SuperTards.jpg

Sony:

richie_rich.jpg

Microsoft:

pla.jpg

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
ps3 has the games i'm most excited about, but the fact that it's SIX HUNDRED FUCKING DOLLARS makes me doubt it'll have any long-term success. i don't give a tinker's dam about sony's fortunes, but i can't get excited about a console that'll have trouble drawing games a couple years from now. and i loathe the waggle shock

no big surprises from 360, but it's here now, it's the likely market leader, and there are several really strong games on the way, HALO FUCKING THREE foremost among them. i expect good things down the line.

wii wasn't on my radar and hasn't done anything to get there. sad graphics, no third party support, nothing very interesting happening with the controller. fans of japanese games are fucked if wii dribbles into the development void the horrendously overpriced ps3 will soon leave.

there are two gamecube games i want, shockingly -- that puts it roughly on par with ps2. psp and ds libraries look strong: mgs, makaimura, silent hill, loco roco, killzone, new smb, mario vs. dk, megaman zx, castlevania, YOSHI'S FUCKING ISLAND 2.

1. xbox 360 (need to have for halo3 and most other "big games" that i am interested in)
2. wii (DS has been fun, so probably pickup one of these at some point)
3. ps3 (dont expect to get one ever, but maybe will down the line as a cheap Blu-ray player)

Wollan

1. PS3
2. Wii
3. 360

The PS3 still got all the big guns and awesome launch lineup. It's a high entry fee but it's where I will find the most awesome games aswell. Zelda & Mario on Wii will be awesome and Halo 3 aswell as A.Wake on X360.

Top Bottom