• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's cut the ******** What's your Top 3 choices for Next-Gen now?

_Angelus_

Banned
Everything at E3 turned out the way I suspected it would.

I'll be purchasing

X360 - a 2nd one for game parties.
Nintendo Wii
DreamCast2 - 2009 is closer than you think.

Kittonwy

Banned
1. PS3
2. PS3
3. PS3

One for each FFXIII title and of course I'll have one for MGS4.
bunny.gif

teepo

1. PS3
2. 360
3. WII

all of them are great if you ask me.

still not sold entirely on wii but mother fucking mario galaxy!!!

Iceman

Isn't it obvious?

Wii doesn't stand a chance. Nintendo is settling for a niche market. Microsoft is doing nothing to expand it's base. Sony is playing like they've already won the upcoming generation.

Clearly it'll be PS3, X360 a distant second and who knows what track Wii is racing on.

Tellaerin

The PS3's still the platform of choice for Japanese developers, Wii games seem to be focused on finding novel uses for the wand, and the X360 library is largely composed of Western-style games. I don't see any of those points changing in the foreseeable future, which means that my personal rankings are the same now as they were before E3: PS3, X360, then Wii. (Though this could all change if Coleco makes their big comeback... :p )

Shabaz

Neo Member
EnvoyDenali said:
wow, we've had this joke done before.. and if its not a joke, nobody asked what your "pre-e3" thoughts were.. so, you are dumb either way.

Ahhh did I hurt your feeling? You can always slit your wrist.

Pre-E3:

1) PS3
2) Wii
3) 360

Post-E3:

1) 360
2) Wii
3) PS3

The 360 has the best of both worlds here, a next-generation console and online service and compelling software to boot. I've been meaning to pick one up and been holding off simply on price drop alone. The wait will be over soon, especially after seeing what happened to my #1 pre-E3 choice.

The Wii is easily the most affordable current-gen plus platform. Super Mario Galaxy and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess look really great and if both are launch titles then we've got ourselves a winner. Red Steel proved to be super dissapointing.

My attitude shifted mostly based on cost alone. I don't forsee myself ever paying $500+ for a videogame console. Also, MGS4 is a 2007 title which softens the blow. Plus, WTF is up with no HDMI for Blu-ray?!? I'm willing to pay but only if the fucking console IS a fully-featured Blu-ray player and not half-assed.

Very excited about this Fall's software lineup across all platforms though. :)

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
pre pre:
ps3
revo

post pre:
wii
ps3

I'm too poor to rank it otherwise, right now it's MGS4 alone that has me interested in ps3, but that sucker generates alot of interest though

we'll see what the next few days bring

Bebpo

Banned
drohne said:
fans of japanese games are fucked if wii dribbles into the development void the horrendously overpriced ps3 will soon leave.

This is the biggest overlooming fear of the next five years because of the PS3 price announcement (well besides all PS3 games featuring stupid goddamn aerobics because of the wiggle). If Japan looooves the Wii but is hesitant about the PS3, Japanese game developers basically go on a 5-7 year standstill where graphics just STOP at todays visuals for all their best teams and franchises. Even if the PS3 fails in Japan, no one's going to develop for the X360, so everything becomes a Wii title with wiggling and crappy visuals.

If the PS3 fails, it's a Western-game-only future for the next 5-10 years...which is not a kind sight.

Chrono

Banned
Bebpo said:
This is the biggest overlooming fear of the next five years because of the PS3 price announcement (well besides all PS3 games featuring stupid goddamn aerobics because of the wiggle). If Japan looooves the Wii but is hesitant about the PS3, Japanese game developers basically go on a 5-7 year standstill where graphics just STOP at todays visuals for all their best teams and franchises. Even if the PS3 fails in Japan, no one's going to develop for the X360, so everything becomes a Wii title with wiggling and crappy visuals.

If the PS3 fails, it's a Western-game-only future for the next 5-10 years...which is not a kind sight.

This is just depressing and unfortunately might actually happen.

pilonv1

DCharlie said:
Damn, i don't want to have to spend $600 to justify my sony trolling - ah, but it'll be worth it i guess! I'd just spend it on hookers anyways. ;)

You bought a PSX, there was never any doubt ;)

Bebpo said:

Chrono said:
This is just depressing and unfortunately might actually happen.

Yeah, I'd hate to see developers stuck on improving gameplay rather than trying to one-up each other on graphics.

It would suck because some games just won't work on the remote and need standard controls, but I seriously wouldn't cry at all if Wii dominated next-gen in Japan and traditional games were still being released on PS2 for years to come.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Catchpenny said:
Yeah, I'd hate to see developers stuck on improving gameplay rather than trying to one-up each other on graphics.

yeah, all those artists and coders? just turn them into game designers, they'll fit right in. bad graphics lead directly to good gameplay.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Before E3 shit:

1. PS3
2. Xbox 360
3. Wii Wii

After the conferences:

1. PS3
2. Xbox 360
3. Wii Wii

Shitty conferences and crappy unveilings mean jack shit in the end. Despite the high price point and stupid decision to have a stripped-down PS3 model, I still think Sony is going to remain on top, because they have the right GAMES.

I get the feeling that Xbox Live is going to remain the best online service, and the jury's still out on Nintendo; to me they are trying to replicate the success of the DS on a console system, with cheaper priced hardware and games(?), and the controller. Thing is, on consoles, graphics (sadly) matter, they are behind Microsoft and Sony this time, and their controller ideas can be taken and used by the other two companies in some form or another. But to me it's all about games, and as I'm not at E3 to try anything out, I have no real idea right now.

All I know is that I'll likely own all three consoles again, but to be perfectly honest, I'm not very excited about the Wii, the Xbox 360 doesn't seem to have anything big coming out for a while, and the PS3 is at the end of the year, it's expensive, and if it doesn't have the right launch games, I'll be waiting to buy a new console for the first time in more than 15 years.

drohne said:
ps3 has the games i'm most excited about, but the fact that it's SIX HUNDRED FUCKING DOLLARS makes me doubt it'll have any long-term success.

The price will drop over time. I remember people getting into an uproar over the Saturn and Playstation launch prices, too. This is nothing new; same thing every generation.

Although it does make you wonder if the pricing will bite Sony in the ass initially, causing either the Xbox 360 or the Wii to gain more popularity, larger userbases, and get more developers onboard in the process.

"What if...Xbox 360 got Final Fantasy XIII, Dragon Quest IX, Virtua Fighter 5, and Metal Gear Solid 4?"

Gallagher

Banned
1.Wii
2. PS 3
3. Xbox 360

Games:

1. Zelda - Twilight Princess (looks beautiful like a xbox 360 game)
2. FF 13 - Iam again a fan of square :D
3. MGS 4 - Looks awesome.

X360 - I won this, but E3 has cemented my view that this is the console to back in the next-gen, I am very happy to own one.

Wii - Interesting interface but I'm not sold on it yet, low price point is great though. GC-like graphics ftl however.

PS3 - Not paying $500-600 for a system that is slightly better than X360 + Blu-Ray. No thanks. Most of the games I want will be on X360 and while I'll miss stuff like MGS4, no system is worth buying for one game.

Oh and before E3 it was 1) X360/PS3 disntant 2nd) Wii

drohne said:
yeah, all those artists and coders? just put them on game design. bad graphics lead directly to good gameplay.

Okami, Super Paper Mario and Zelda are three of the best looking games coming out this year, and they're on last-gen consoles. The artists and coders on those games seem up to the challenge. If the best western talent hadn't already moved onto next-gen, I'm sure we would have more forthcoming examples.

Eastern developers seem to be having a difficult time with next-gen anyhow. Other than FFXIII and MGS4, I'm not seeing a lot to be impressed with...hell, look at how badly Namco is struggling. PS2 + Wii could mean shorter development times, more games and more emphasis on unique art and gameplay. Or it could be a total clusterfuck of ugly games, who knows. But I'll bet game sales would be about the same for PS2 + Wii in Japan as they will be for PS3 + Wii.

Nick

1) 360
2) PS3 (unfortunately)
3) Wii

I reeeeally want the Wii to do well, but the 360... you just can't beat it right now.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
drohne said:
yeah, all those artists and coders? just turn them into game designers, they'll fit right in. bad graphics lead directly to good gameplay.

seems to be the fanboy matra of the week doesnt it. I made one comment about how sub-GC some Wii games looked, and that was disappointing, and I got punched on by salivating Nbots calling me a troll, a graphics whore, "who cares if the graphics look like a DS game" etc. Is it too much to ask that just because Wii isn't following suit with major hardware upgrades that people actually try to exploit the power that is there? People were saying that because Wii had architecture like a GC that devs could attain high quality graphics right from the word go, and the launch titles would look good at GC 1.5 level. That hasn't happened so far, and some of the games would look out of place on the GC.

Couple that with a distinct lack of "omg, wiimote changes everything, these titles are totally original, the kind of stuff you've never dreamed off" etc coming from journos there, and my wii hype has degraded. I hope those "omg" titles make there way into the press before launch.

In contrast, im sold on the DSL. The games look brilliant. And Paper Mario will make a fantastic finale for my GC

Ruas

Banned
xbox360 i already own one and strong showing at e3
ps3 if not only for the rpgs
wii dissapointed in mario galaxy

Pre:

1: 360
2: Wii
3: PS3

1: 360
2: Wii
3: PS3

...however, my Post list mearly looks exactly the same as my Pre list on the surface. In reality, my Pre list is all "gut feeling" while my Post list is backed by countless and highly enlightened trains of thought, thusly showing an evolution in my choices and absolving me of any accusations of bias.

Zaptruder

Banned
PS3, Wii, 360

PS3, Wii, 360

I'm working now; The money I scrounged for the PS2 was much more difficult to come by then the money I'll be spending on the PS3 premium.

I have a 360 already... so I guess this makes me a platform agnostic owner this gen.

Top Bottom