• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Design a Wii U Console Revision

Converse

Banned
Looking at the gamepad, there is a bit of overkill that could do with being pared back to something a bit more minimalist. For one, there's too much text explaining the buttons - the home button has 'Home' written underneath it, the TV button has 'control', power button has 'power', all in addition to a unique icon for each on the buttons themselves. Same with + 'start' and - 'select', which could just be + and - and be referred to solely as such in manuals.

wanders said:
Unnecessary labels is just a pet peeve of mine :) Let me explain clearly. Wii U Game Pad (to me) has unessary logos/labels such as the TV button which already is labeled TV or the obvious power button that's labeled power. That's redudant to me.

I agree with this. In my rough concept, I took out the "Start," "Select," "Control," "Power" and "Home" text (it really is overkill when you write it out like that). Forgot to mention that I'd relocate the power and TV buttons the top bevel of the GamePad (you can see them on the right-hand side if you enlarge the pic). My draft could potentially lose the "Battery" and "Mic" text, depending on how much faith we have in the consumer to figure out simple shit or read the instructions.

To Mithos and Tempy, it would be interesting to see a move toward a more "gamey" -- for lack of a better word -- GamePad. The current model says "tablet," as does my mockup. Although I like the tablet style, a more controller-like form factor would be comfortable, and it aligns well with Nintendo's game-centric company philosophy. I also wonder why exactly the GameCube controller's design innovations were lost to time. The "Stream" one is particularly nice, though it could perhaps be more streamlined (HAR).

Converse

Banned
Great job on the minimalistic game pad, Converse :)

Thanks, I appreciate it. And thanks for actually contributing to the design talk -- the idea was to kind of put ourselves in the shoes of a bunch of designers at a roundtable, throwing out potential revision concepts. You and FryHole make great points about there being too much unneeded text -- it's too busy.

MY CONCEPT: So here's my Wii U revision concept.
The console:
The GamePad: Some bullet points

--Reduce the screen size from 6.2" to ~5.0" inches. As an added benefit, this gives us better pixel density.
--While we don't necessarily need a 720p screen, I'd like to see an improvement in image quality. Specifically, correct the compression artifacts. Something proprietary is alright, but let's put resources from reducing screen size into improving picture quality.
--Keep the touchscreen resistive. It's incredibly responsive and it's essential for Miiverse drawing, a huge positive of the Wii U experience. With the presence of buttons, there's really no need for a more expensive capacitive screen.
--Remove the sensor bar. I've never seen this used, outside of a very small contingent of people playing Wii Mode on the GamePad.
--Replace analog sticks with circle pads, like the E3 2011 model, if it saves a significant amount of money. If it doesn't, simply reduce the size of the sticks and add a GameCube-style grip texture.
--Given these changes, trim and tuck the form factor as much as possible. Make it slimmer, smaller. This improves appearance and comfort and saves on manufacturing costs. The basic shape is fine though -- at most, I'd curve it subtly.
--This becomes the standard battery, or at least a middle ground between this and the standard battery (a mid-ground would give us 6 hours, which is fine).
--Do anything we can to improve the range.
--Relocate TV and Power buttons to the top-right bevel of the controller. Strike a bunch of unnecessary text.
--Just for more interesting aesthetics, make the face buttons (and maybe shoulder buttons) transparent. This calls back to the Wii Remote's transparent "A" button, which looks stellar. Transparent shoulder buttons would create a look similar to the original 3DS' bevel. Let's throw in the telescoping metal stylus from the original 3DS since we're already manufacturing them. Just a few things to up that aesthetic quality.
--Loose the gloss in favor of a matte finish, if feasible.

That was a long-assed post. What do you folks have in mind? Would love to see some more concepts from talented Gaffers.

Some interesting ideas you have there :)

I personally like the design of the physical console that the Wii U currently is, but I get where you are coming from as far as (a revision) giving it more "identity".

Certain changes like adding a physical Ethernet port are totally necessary, and I'd assume could be costed into the console unit (as it seems the manufacturing cost is going down for Nintendo).

Besides that, a consistent 'smooth' factor should stay the standard, even if using the U shape you have come up with.

As far as the Gamepad, your bullet points cover most of what I would imagine would be the logical approach to a revision. Besides the Circle pads replacing the sticks, which might hit limitations on a heap of "Home console" focused titles.

The mock up though, reminds me too much of the PS Vita, and as such wouldn't be comfortable/usable for extended periods or with game/apps that require a lot of movement.

More specifically the overall shape/curvature and the L/R buttons. The current Gamepad, rounded/smooth overall shape could be majorly trimmed down instead, whilst still maintaining the other improvements you had mentioned.

Converse

Banned
Some interesting ideas you have there :)

I personally like the design of the physical console that the Wii U currently is, but I get where you are coming from as far as (a revision) giving it more "identity".

The mock up though, reminds me too much of the PS Vita, and as such wouldn't be comfortable/usable for extended periods or with game/apps that require a lot of movement.

More specifically the overall shape/curvature and the L/R buttons. The current Gamepad, rounded/smooth overall shape could be majorly trimmed down instead, whilst still maintaining the other improvements you had mentioned.

Thanks, man. I actually enjoy the current design as well, I'm just having some fun toying with things.

I agree about the GamePad shape. I used the Vita as an aesthetic template (literally, much of that image is Frankensteined together from Vita parts), but I would in no way want the Wii U's GamePad to lose its curvature, particularly on its underside. I didn't do such a good job portraying that in the mockup.

Before I turn in, here's Rev. 2 of a console redesign mockup, based on some Gaffer observations about the thickness/Wii-ness (Gaf loves them thick ol' Wiis) of the first revision and the dislike for the NES throwback vent. I'm keeping the vent, dammit, but I did tone it down a bit -- I don't have the skills to make it look like it's actually molded nicely into the black plastic.

consolerevisionver2g0k9g.png

NeoGAF loves nothing more than to tell Nintendo what it should do,

First of all, no tablet, no added gimmick that drives up the cost of the console, period. The time of motion controls is over and nothing will bring back the casuals that flocked over to mobiles no matter how good the new tech is. Off tv functionality should be done with the 3DS or its successor.

The revision should not include the gamepad anymore but the Pro controller. Not a lot of games actually use the gamepad.

Converse

Banned
First of all, no tablet, no added gimmick that drives up the cost of the console, period. The time of motion controls is over and nothing will bring back the casuals that flocked over to mobiles no matter how good the new tech is. Off tv functionality should be done with the 3DS or its successor.

The revision should not include the gamepad anymore but the Pro controller. Not a lot of games actually use the gamepad.

I like reading stuff. Do you like reading stuff?

EDIT: Actually, I can't tell if you are serious of if that's just good satire. If it's the latter, good on you and good night.

Sapiens

This is the kind of thread I would imagine a someone would create as a parody of a Nintendo fan. Terrible.

They need to lower the price on the console itself first of all. Secondly. The gamepad feels cheap as hell (although I like it it certainly doesn't reek of quality). It feels quite nice to hold for a little while, but it quickly becomes uncomfortable thanks to the edges. The touch screen has a bad view angle and only single touch features. What else? Not even the pro controller has analogue triggers! How's that for pissing on a very big slice of the gaming market (everything related to driving). So yeah. Honestly there's nothing in terms of hardware that justifies the price of the console. I just got myself a premium one used at a low price and great condition with ZombiU, Mass Effect 3, a couple of Wii titles and I love ZombiU. I like the console as a whole, but I'm so glad I did not buy a completely new one because it really isn't worth the price. The weak CPU, cheap gamepad parts, absent analogue triggers (just why aren't they using those?)

No wonder it's doing so bad. Give us analogue triggers and lower the price and it's a pleasant little machine. It's also not as quiet as I thought it would be. The fans are very quiet, but the disc drive is not. That said it's not headache inducing.

Really wish you could turn off automatic downloads of both software and system updates. Most of all I wish you could turn off that horrible OS sound effects and background music.

Devil

Nice ideas. But I don't think your new gamepad would be more comfortable than the actual one. Everything you need to reach is too close to the edges, which is one of the problems why many handhelds are uncomfortable to some. Most thums aren't that short and I dont think the gamepad is even uncomfortable at all - it just looks as if it would be.

Converse

Banned
This is the kind of thread I would imagine a someone would create as a parody of a Nintendo fan. Terrible.

Yeah, playing around with product designs. Immensely, fanboyishly offensive. I am shamed.

That Wont Fit In There said:
I love that promo pic. You should have her as an adult in Marios eyes though.

Yeah, as it is it is kinda... creepy.
You should work in marketing though OP.

Thanks, but I can't take credit (or creepo blame) for making it -- Nintendo did. They put it in their 2013 Annual Report, which is wonderfully designed. Kind of an amazing disconnect between the quality shown here and the quality of their marketing.

And, thanks, SquiddyCracker. I've done a little bit of freelance design/marketing here and there (just logos, pamphlets and posters, that sort of thing). It's an interesting arena. Was hoping to see some more concepts from Gaffers, but the thread devolved into a parade of "Nintendo should do this to win" posts. Not sure if GAF is capable of having a Wii U discussion that doesn't turn into that.

G0523

How about a new advertising campaign in the same vein of what Nintendo is doing now for the 2DS. Think about it:

"The Wii U can play ALL of your old Wii games and brand new Wii U games in full 1080p!"

Honestly, a redesign with the machine just called Nintendo, that looks a bit more sleek and is marketed right at a good price point and that modular controller design would be killer.
So that's your Nintendo Home and a Nintendo Go is the portable that can play all the same games.

Tobor

Wii U redesign? Easy.

Throw away the console connected to the TV.

Leave the Gamepad design as is, but make It an actual standalone tablet. Dump resistive for a proper capacitive screen.

Market it as a cheap tablet for kids that plays games. Done.

I'll repost my wii revision seeing as Nintendo were stupid enough not to use it.
mPyJM.png

Really though I think a revision wouldn't play discs
because no place wants to stock them any more.

kirby_fox

Banned
Hey OP, did you take out the NFC on the controller too? That'd likely be a huge misstep seeing as they're going to be using it for some games shortly.

Only revisions I'd see to the controller is extending the range, increasing battery life a ton, and potentially removing the TV controller button/aspect (and moving away from trying to create an all-in-one console and focus back on gaming).

The console itself changes to a matte finish and adding the U logos. on top for more branding. Depending on cost, they could alter the internals to work more effectively with OS loading times but not necessarily with games- and not effectively creating new hardware.

Marketing wise I've always said I'd like to see them go the route of using the Nintendo Ninjas joke as "real" and MIB-esque in the world of Nintendo for at least a NA/Euro approach.

Hesemonni

Banned
Nothing inherently wrong with the design I guess. Proper account system and get rid of the region locking and I'm golden.

Solidsoul

Banned
Great ideas and great thread, Converse.

I think a lot of the ideas you mentioned could be helpful to the wii u's success.

Converse

Banned
Hey OP, did you take out the NFC on the controller too? That'd likely be a huge misstep seeing as they're going to be using it for some games shortly.

Only revisions I'd see to the controller is extending the range, increasing battery life a ton, and potentially removing the TV controller button/aspect (and moving away from trying to create an all-in-one console and focus back on gaming).

The console itself changes to a matte finish and adding the U logos. on top for more branding. Depending on cost, they could alter the internals to work more effectively with OS loading times but not necessarily with games- and not effectively creating new hardware.

Yep, like Horse said, it's still there. I could see all of these as effective revision designs, except for removing the TV function (only because it's one of those "we already spent the money to create and implement it, might as well use it" things). If the OS idea is technically feasible, it would be a great idea.

Solidsoul said:
Great ideas and great thread, Converse.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Doesn't the whole concept fall apart when you're celebrating a console design that never existed in Japan? It's one thing to release a special paint job like they did with the SP but to design a system with the intention of a special paint job that isn't even universal is quite another.

clav

Wii U redesign? Easy.

Throw away the console connected to the TV.

Leave the Gamepad design as is, but make It an actual standalone tablet. Dump resistive for a proper capacitive screen.

Market it as a cheap tablet for kids that plays games. Done.

No more disks, too, right? The game download sizes aren't really that large.

That description sounds like a 3DS successor.

All games to embrace the Nintendo eshop whenever that matures.

Converse

Banned
CwghYmP.png

Something like this I guess?

measurements are 19x9cm

Nicely done. I'd miss the NFC and TV options, but I like the industrial slant, it looks good in a matte finish (which is the one thing that everybody seems to agree on) and it seems it would pair very nicely with the 3DS XL, aesthetically.

It's easy for me:
- powerful console
- no gamepad (love it, but it's not getting utilised)
- people can use Wiimote+ and procontroller
- WiiU backwards compatible.

Darmik

I'm crappy with visual stuff so I'll skip that. I'd love for them to revamp the entire OS and rebrand it as the Nintendo Channel. Which will carry over to future Nintendo devices. Existing Wii U's would be patched and the system would be rebranded and marketed at retail.

The Nintendo Channel would have a major focus on Nintendo's history. You can easily browse through each of their consoles which have a variety of games from their library along with bonus content such as developer videos and soundtracks. You have the option to purchase these games separately or subscribe to the Nintendo Channel subscription which gives you access to the majority of the titles and bonus content for a monthly fee.

You can buy the Wii U without the Gamepad but you won't be able to play Wii games without a Wiimote or Wii U games that need the Gamepad. But you have access to the rest of the library with a traditional controller.

Wii U titles and eShop titles will also have their own sections along with a Multimedia section selling third party media apps that would be similar to what you find on android devices. The long term goal would be to carry over all of your content to future devices as long as you have the correct accessories.

This is my dream anyway. But with this method they could build a future foundation for their consoles without sacrificing development for the current generation.

Business

A PREFACE (ON FEASIBILITY):
Originally, I thought we might see such a thing at E3 2014, but Iwata's recent statements that Nintendo won't show new hardware at E3 potentially shoot this notion down. I'm no economist, but I reckon it's likely that not revising the Wii U saves Nintendo more money at this point. Which brings me to...

Just like when Miyamoto said "I really feel like I'm satisfied with the 3DS hardware as it is. I feel like it's the best for this generation," What we're thinking about right now is probably going to be for a future generation of handheld." and 10 days later they announced the 3DS XL. He almost fooled me then... almost.

For the people saying "they should have called it the Wii 2", consider this...

Do you really think that all of those 100m people who came out of the woodwork to buy the original Wii (the grandparents, the parents, the parents with young children, all the workplaces that decided they need to have a Wii, all the pubs, clubs, everywhere that decided there was finally a console that was for them) are going to use that purchase as a launching point for their gaming career? Or is there a chance that it was a one off purchase, and that the Wii has now been sitting gathering dust since the novelty of virtual-bowling wore off?

If anything they need to get rid of the name. Although to be honest the Nintendo badge would probably be doing just as much damage. Just my opinion, love my Wii, love my 3DS, would love to jump on to the Wii U but there's just zero appeal.

Do you really think that all of those 100m people who came out of the woodwork to buy the original Wii (the grandparents, the parents, the parents with young children, all the workplaces that decided they need to have a Wii, all the pubs, clubs, everywhere that decided there was finally a console that was for them) are going to use that purchase as a launching point for their gaming career? Or is there a chance that it was a one off purchase, and that the Wii has now been sitting gathering dust since the novelty of virtual-bowling wore off?

If anything they need to get rid of the name. Although to be honest the Nintendo badge would probably be doing just as much damage. Just my opinion, love my Wii, love my 3DS, would love to jump on to the Wii U but there's just zero appeal.
It could have been called the Wii2 if it WAS a Wii2. Same controllers but far more powerful machine.
Convenience of same controllers and graphics up to PS4 levels. People would know it was the second console in the Wii line and they could decide for themselves whether the huge powerupgrade was worth it for them. Less confusion. Easy advertising.
Would buy for 400$ even if i have a WiiU.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.

I think it would have been an actual message to make an upgrade. What would have killed it after that is if it had a new Wii Sports worth upgrading for.

Converse

Banned
Somewhere Converse's head is exploding.

Haha, nice. Part of it is my fault for prefacing my thread with my thought process behind creating the thread but...hot damn, it could hardly have turned out more opposite to my intentions. Ah, well; maybe the moral of the story is "stop wasting time on internet message boards, Converse."

Tabasco

They should have just made a controller like the Wii U Pro controller except with a small screen in the middle.

Whenever I hold the gamepad, it's awkward because my hands are so far apart.

Top Bottom