• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level 5's Guild01 eShop Games Sale from April 18 Through May 30

zroid

Banned
Just bought Crimson Shroud. Man, I missed Matsuno's writing and setting/lore. Still so refreshing. Please Matsuno, make a new fully fledged game.

That's funny because from what I hear, the Japanese version had horrible writing and was the main reason a lot of the import/J-GAF crowd didn't like the game. Localization was superb, apparently.

Camjo-Z

I stayed away from Liberation Maiden when it came out due to mediocre reviews but those reviewers were nuts, this game is awesome. Got even better once I realized the unlockable gallery stuff gives even more reasons to replay it.

Didn't like Aero Porter as much, but it's still good. Gets difficult REALLY fast though. You'd think sorting luggage wouldn't be that hard!

Wasn't going to get Crimson Shroud but my brother told me to pick it up for him anyways so I will try that later. As someone who generally stays away from RPGs that are any more complex than Dragon Quest I probably won't like it that much but who knows! Maybe it will surprise me.

Codeblue

That's funny because from what I hear, the Japanese version had horrible writing and was the main reason a lot of the import/J-GAF crowd didn't like the game. Localization was superb, apparently.

That would make all sorts of sense. I noticed everyone being pretty down on it when it first came out but impressions doing a 180 when the eShop release rolled around.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Already bought and played Liberation Maiden before the sell. Really enjoyed it. Just bought Crimson Shroud. Dunno if I want Aero Porter.

I wasn't planning to, but I purchased both Aero Porter and Liberation Maiden in the sale to go along with my previously purchased Crimson Shroud. (Which was totally worth it at full price FYI.)

Neither of them are really the type of game I usually go for, but I love the Guild concept so much and I wanted to support it. I'm so glad that after the rough start the series got in Japan from the retail release, the series has been able to bounce back and find new life on the eShop.

Bring on Guild 02.

big youth

decided to pass on Porter, but I'm downloading Liberation Maiden and Crimson Shroud now. will give the latter a spin tonight

Took a chance on Liberation Maiden and was thoroughly unimpressed. It's a bargain store version of Zone of the Enders with almost no strategy required in the gameplay. It fails to even prove as a vessel for more Suda craziness and the ending only encapsulates the half-baked feel.

Pass on it.

Shoyz

Liberation Maiden is pretty good, it's just -ungodly- short. Like an hour to beat it.
The cliffhanger ending really pissed me off as well

Crimson Shroud is a must-buy though.

duckroll

Sounds like nonsense to me. The Japanese text is available in the US release as well. It's certainly not "horrible" at all. Maybe you shouldn't assume things you don't know about? :p

Liberation Maiden is pretty good, it's just -ungodly- short. Like an hour to beat it.

Well, it's getting a sequel now, so at least it will continue.

That's another reason why I bought it besides supporting the Guild series. I like adventure games much more, so I'm totally down for the change in genre.

Glass Rebel

Well, it's getting a sequel now, so at least it will continue.

That's another reason why I bought it besides supporting the Guild series. I like adventure games much more, so I'm totally down for the change in genre.

Thanks for mentioning this. The sequel being a PS3 game that will probably never be localized makes Liberation Maiden a no-buy from me.

Who is them? It's a 5pb visual novel adventure targeted squarely at the Japanese audience. It's not getting released in the US. :p
Stranger things have happened. I'm not betting the bank on it, but Level-5 is starting to take some chances on games that wouldn't usually make it over, so maybe they'll give SIN a shot too.

Lots of people didn't think we'd get Friday Monsters.

duckroll

Stranger things have happened. I'm not betting the bank on it, but Level-5 is starting to take some chances on games that wouldn't usually make it over, so maybe they'll give SIN a shot too.

Lots of people didn't think we'd get Friday Monsters.

The game isn't published by Level5.

And wait, when did Level5 announce any of the Guild02 titles in English officially? Did I miss something?

beje

Banned
I'm really really liking Crimson Shroud. It actually feels like a narrated tabletop RPG with its miniatures and all and I think that's something probably no other JRPG has tried before. It feels a little bit slow (though I don't really mind) but I guess is in part due to still being stuck to tutorial screens everywhere.

duckroll

They were announced on the recent Nintendo Direct. That's the whole reason the Guild01 games are on sale to begin with.

Was there a thread on this? Are there news articles? Seems to have totally fallen under the radar. I didn't even see it in the Nintendo Direct OP.

daxy

Basically broken. After two hours, it's impossible to proceed if you're not able enough (that means playing flawlessly).

Two hours? The game broke my soul in its first thirty minutes.
Aero Porter is crazy. I wish I had the patience and skill to play it. Kinda.

Maybe not.

zroid

Banned
Sounds like nonsense to me. The Japanese text is available in the US release as well. It's certainly not "horrible" at all. Maybe you shouldn't assume things you don't know about? :p

Well, I wasn't "assuming" anything, per se. That's just what I've heard from the people who played the Japanese version. Even some who played the game in both languages commented on how far improved the writing/story is. :S

I certainly acknowledge the possibility that they were wrong. :p

Berordn

So for someone who can only get one (and already has Aero Porter), what should I jump on? Both of them looked interesting.

Just bought CS.

And here's something important about Guild 01 x Guild 02, not sure if posted:

The Starship Damrey
Bonus linked content for players who have downloaded any of the previously released titles includes a special scenario providing deeper insight into the events that unfold aboard the ship that will be unlocked at the end of the player’s journey.

Bugs vs. Tanks!
Bonus linked content for players who have downloaded any of the previously released titles includes an exclusive Gold Tank.

Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale
Bonus linked content for players who have downloaded any of the previously released titles includes a Space Defense Department Junior Member Notebook containing concept art and illustrations from the game.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/17/all-three-of-level-5s-guild-02-titles-are-coming-to-the-west/

Camjo-Z

So for someone who can only get one (and already has Aero Porter), what should I jump on? Both of them looked interesting.

If you want a short, action focused 3D shoot 'em up, get Liberation Maiden. If you want an old-school RPG that harkens back to pen and paper tabletop games, then Crimson Shroud is the way to go. Personally I reccomend LM over CS, but I seem to hold a minority opinion.

And here's something important about Guild 01 x Guild 02, not sure if posted: (Bonus linked content)

Sweet, even more reason to get the other games!

big youth

I started CS last night, played the first mission. Other than some shoddy translation I'm really enjoying the game. Love the D&D gameplay with dice rolling, detailed text describing the world, and such.

duckroll

Aero Porter is worth 3 bucks I think, it's one of those games that requires crazy focus, kinda like Art Style Digidrive. Enjoying it so far.

The main problem with the game is that there are no playability options. It's a single save which is ongoing without any options at all to casually play earlier easier modes while retaining your play stats and progress so you can try the more challenging stuff again later. It makes it incredibly unfun once you get to the point where its too hard to play.

CS, Chapter 2.

This game is amazing, I was expecting a dumb dice board game or whatever, but this is a full JRPG with turn-combats, great exploration, forgery, etc.

I already want a sequel.

zroid

Banned
Just started Crimson Shroud. Really enjoying it so far. It definitely gives off "budget" vibes, but not really in a bad way. It adds to the premise and atmosphere. I'm most surprised by just how far they've taken the board game angle. I knew what I was getting into, but seeing the story narrated to me by a sort of Dungeon Master is all kinds of cool.

There seem to be a couple playability quirks like on the new skill select screen, I don't think you can refer to your existing skills or stats? Also, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to compare weapon stats on the loot screen. Minor complaints, though.

khaaan

Just purchased Liberation Maiden this morning and completed the first level. It seems pretty fun though the controls can be a bit frustrating, it would have also been nice if your default movement was faster and the controls let you move Left/Right rather than having your character rotate Left/Right. My issues are partially fixed by strafing but it still hasn't clicked with me. Based on the reactions here, I'm afraid of purchasing Aero Porter now.

@MUWANdo

Banned
My only problem with Crimson Shroud is that it's only in english >.<
Will buy it though to support them.

Are you sure about that? I have the English version and there's an ENG/JP toggle on the title screen. (Maybe it's just VA... does this game even have VA? I forget.)

Top Bottom