• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lez talk mechanical keyboards

wit3tyg3r

The #1 reason why I don't think I could use another keyboard is that the wrist rest is beyond perfection on it.

I went from a standard K65 to K65 RGB. Previous broads include lots of Rosewills, Leopolds, a Ducky, and a Razer. The wrist rest makes typing on it feel sooooooooo much better.

I also really love the wrist rest on my Corsair KB (I have the K70 RGB). I love it more than the Grifiti wrist rest I got for my KB at work.

Browny

Banned
So Newegg (UK) have a couple of K70s available - Brown at £85 and Blue at £72. I've been keeping my eye on prices, and these seem to be cheaper than normal. I did note that they don't have Vengeance in the title...

Is it too good to be true, and would Blue's drive me mad?

Does the K65 keyboard light up when the pc is turned off?

The keyboard I have (not a K65) lights up all the time, even when the computer is powered off.

My Ducky Mini SHOULD be coming today, but the tracking info is of course behind like hell so who knows. Blues, with O Rings, hopefully I can find out what all the O ring bit is about.

dcx4610

Anyone found a good mechanical keyboard with a volume control? I know the Logitech Orion has one but that board gets mixed reviews. Any alternatives?

fwpx

I love my Blackwidow...except I hate that it doesn't have a volume knob. Does a standalone volume knob exist out there? I mapped VOL+ and - to the Macro keys, but its just not the same.

Of course it seems that I won't be getting my keyboard today. "We do not have an estimated time of delivery" does not sound like a good sign. Hopefully it didn't fall off the back of a truck.

Shiina

My Ducky Mini SHOULD be coming today, but the tracking info is of course behind like hell so who knows. Blues, with O Rings, hopefully I can find out what all the O ring bit is about.

O-rings can make the keys feel a bit wobbly. Consider putting shelf liner under the keyboard. For me it had the same effect as o-rings but without the change to how the keys feel.

O-rings can make the keys feel a bit wobbly. Consider putting shelf liner under the keyboard. For me it had the same effect as o-rings but without the change to how the keys feel.

Doesn't matter because apparently Fedex lost my damn package. Hopefully they figure out where it's at pretty quick.

J-Rzez

So I was all ready to get a rgb k70 but it was going to be over a week for it to come in so got a black widow chroma. Have to say I like it's feel. Colors are fantastic on it. Simple to set up lighting as well. Didn't know if I was going to like razers keys but they feel and sound good. Razer green keys btw. Dunno, really like it and got it for a great price.

I think I'm going to order the Das 4 Professional. Media keys aren't the biggest with me but it looks so sexy. Opting in the MX Blue for that insane clicky sound and feel.

Need to up my coding game and this should do the trick from my shit Logitech 510 I've had for years :(

I will miss backlit keys but there's no replacement for the feel or sound. I do use gaming peripherals like a G13, will upgrade to a mechanical keypad eventually but it works perfect for now.

Price seems just right if I shop around a bit. I'll be coding entire scripts before debugging awwww jerrrr.

Edit: JUST ORDERED
Edit 2: Should be here tomorrow!

Ryne

Got my RGB K70 Browns today, it feels absolutely great. Nice and loud too, not sure how my girlfriend will like that when she is sleeping in on the weekend.

I will also echo what others have said about the wrist rest, it is really good.

Shiina

Got my RGB K70 Browns today, it feels absolutely great. Nice and loud too, not sure how my girlfriend will like that when she is sleeping in on the weekend.

Try the shelf liner trick. I have some inside the keyboard, as well as under it and it's only about half as loud as it used to be.

Does it feel like the rows of keys are a tad too close together though?

Ryne

Try the shelf liner trick. I have some inside the keyboard, as well as under it and it's only about half as loud as it used to be.

I will definitely go and buy some within the next few days to see if it helps. I love the sound, but I'm not sure how she will handle the tap tap tapping for hours. I'll concede a bit haha.

Does it feel like the rows of keys are a tad too close together though?

I keep flipping between my old rubberdone keyboard (Logitech K350) and this one, I agree that the keys feel tighter, they do feel closer together. I think with some time I will get used to it though.

Edit: It didn't even take a full day, I am already used to the keyboard. It is really nice to use, and the clacks are so satisfying, it is amazing. Found a nice theme I like that I am using right now. I don't think I will attempt to make my own even though I am already fiddling with the software.

And for those people who said that the software sucks, you are completely correct. I have used it for a few hours now and the learning curve is pretty large. It pays to read the manual, it helps somewhat.

kiyomi

So Newegg (UK) have a couple of K70s available - Brown at £85 and Blue at £72. I've been keeping my eye on prices, and these seem to be cheaper than normal. I did note that they don't have Vengeance in the title...

Is it too good to be true, and would Blue's drive me mad?

Newegg don't ship from within the UK. Shipping alone is £24, plus another £21 of tax. The K70 Browns would cost you £133. Everything costs so much here.

Dammit. Keyboard delayed due to an accident yesterday. UPS handed it off to the post office so no telling when I will get it. Supposed to be here yesterday :(

Well if anyone was interested in getting a G910, it is now available to order on Amazon UK, with Flubit getting it to £128. I'm holding out as I'm hoping we get one at work to get a staff discount on it.

chualie

Are Das Keyboards good? Was planning on getting the Das Keyboard 4 Professional but just wanted GAFs opinion before I drop $150.

Leaning towards Brown switches. Not sure if I want to commit to a tenkeyless yet but we'll see.

Also considering Cooler Masters.

Älg

Does anyone know if there are any tenkeyless keyboards that has the same thin rim as a 60% layout keyboard? It looks sooooo good but 60% is just isn't my thing.

mkenyon

Banned
Älg;155792581 said:
Does anyone know if there are any tenkeyless keyboards that has the same thin rim as a 60% layout keyboard? It looks sooooo good but 60% is just isn't my thing.
There's the Vortex Race, which has most of the keys that a TKL has.

kbt-race-2-front.jpg

Finally got my Das 4 Pro in today. Loving it so far. Will take a bit to adjust since this is my first mechanical but I am loving the sound and the feel of the keys although I do wish the space bar was inverted as the edge is a bit too high for my liking. I will probably wind up flipping it around. Other than that very easy to type on. Should work wonders for my coding :D

Just ordered a Switch Sampler to really inform my deciscion. I'm planning a new big "go big or go home" build for this fall once we get skylake and the new AMD/newer NVIDIA (whatevers better).

Been looking at the Shine 4, anyone have that yet or the 3?

Ryne

Just ordered a Switch Sampler to really inform my deciscion. I'm planning a new big "go big or go home" build for this fall once we get skylake and the new AMD/newer NVIDIA (whatevers better).

Been looking at the Shine 4, anyone have that yet or the 3?

The Ducky Shine 3 is a beloved keyboard by many, I wanted one but went with the K70 because I couldn't find the shine 3 with my desired combination.

clav

Anyone here type on Cherry MX Greens?

Wondering if it'll be more satisfying to type on than Cherry MX Blues as the higher actuation force mimics the buckling springs found on old Model M keyboards.

Been using Cherry MX Blues for the past four years.

Debating whether I should buy another keyboard either in Red or Green.

I'm looking for a good, cheap (sub $50 if possible) fullsize (need that numberpad yo) mechanical keyboard for my parents computer.

Used mainly for web surfing, playing Hearts and Scrabble. Doesn't have to be fancy, doesn't need anything special.

Needs to be pretty easy to clean, basically pull keycaps, clean with compressed air can/vacuum hose brush attachment and your good to go.

Any recommendations, I can't find much in a search so I might be looking for something that doesn't exist.

clav

I'm looking for a good, cheap (sub $50 if possible) fullsize (need that numberpad yo) mechanical keyboard for my parents computer.

Used mainly for web surfing, playing Hearts and Scabble. Doesn't have to be fancy, doesn't need anything special.

Needs to be pretty easy to clean, basically pull keycaps, clean with compressed air can/vacuum hose brush attachment and your good to go.

Any recommendations?

You're going to have spend a bit more than that for a reliable keyboard.

Are Das Keyboards good? Was planning on getting the Das Keyboard 4 Professional but just wanted GAFs opinion before I drop $150.

Leaning towards Brown switches. Not sure if I want to commit to a tenkeyless yet but we'll see.

Also considering Cooler Masters.

Been using one for the past 4 years.

I would choose blue over brown switches unless noise is a factor. If noise is a factor, then I would say look at reds before brown.

Opinions aside, see if you can try out the switch first. If not, then decide for yourself.

Cooler Master keyboards are decent for their price range if you don't need the numpad.

You're going to have spend a bit more than that for a reliable keyboard.

That's what I was afraid of. I want something that will last them a while and is very easy for them to clean. They use to have a mechanical keyboard that they liked, now they are using my old Logitech G15.

It's a pain to clean and it's starting to wear out.

So what is the procedure for removing and flipping the space bar on a Das 4 Pro? I know there are guides on the sides I don't want to break. The front bezel on it is wreaking havoc on my thumb how angled in it is. Flipping it will help methinks.

I just recently bought a new ducky. My old was mx blue, new one is mx red.
I really like the red one, but now im also curious how the brown feels.

Welp, after a night with my Das I'm not thrilled as much. I miss my macro keys and light show. Space bar is pretty not good and the way the key rows are angled don't work so well for me which makes the space bar 10x worse. I have pretty big hands and this just feels awkward to me. I love the sound and feel of the press but this one is going back.

I really liked the Razer Chroma when I tried it so I might pick that up. Which is odd because I hate Razer stuff but their keyboard actually feels great to use. /shrug

Zabojnik

Are there any (good) mechanical natural / ergonomic keyboards out there? I'd like to upgrade from my old Microsoft Natural keyboard to a mechanical one, but I simply can't go back to a 'normal' keyboard. I love my wrists too much.

xezuru

Has there been any suitable replacements for Quickfire XTs?
The reason I'm saying this one specifically is because my top criteria is:
Full-Keyset / Build Quality / trying to get around same price range of 80ish

Prefer Cherry browns.

Shiina

So this just went up on Massdrop... Anyone have any experience with the Topre clones this seems to be using? The font and backlight are both eyesores, but I'm somewhat interested in the switches and price.

The POM ones might be worth trying out. It's ugly as sin but very, very cheap considering the switches. Topre is certainly interesting. They feel very nice to bottom out. Great for short typing bursts but maybe not ideal for long typing sessions (essays or the like). Typing on them tired me out a little but maybe that's because I wasn't used to them.

I'm going to keep my Das. Brought home a Chroma and nope. Side by side the DAS just feels much better overall to type on. The Chroma is nice but something bugs me about the switches a little bit and the space bar is angled about the same.

I made a makeshift wrist rest for the time being and it has worked wonders for me and the edge of the space bar.

I'm still looking to see if anyone has flipped the space bar on their 4 Pro so I can do it, too. I tried peeking underneath but the guides look different on this one than other mechanicals I have seen. I don't mind the way the keys are angled but the space bar edge just rubs my thumb the wrong way the way it sits angled towards the top of the keyboard. I wish it was sloped down my way.

I played with some mechanicals at the store today to try prying off the space bar - the k65 and k70s are nice and easy - seconds to swap and make a world of difference on the spot but I haven't seen any good videos for a Das 4 Pro space bar flip. I want to say if it has the same metal guides as other models then it will be easy but slowly lifting up on the bar I can't see any metal guides - only plastic underneath so I am afraid to lift up on it and break it. Don't want to be left with my squishy old garbage :(

Edit: Picked up a nice wrist rest and man what a difference now. I can get on top of the spacebar much nicer than before and am relearning how to type on a mechanical. So much different. Unlearning bad habits will take a while but i am confident I can get to it in a few weeks. Typing feels so good on the MX Blues.

Edit: Flipped the spacebar. I guess the new Das do not have the metal bar for the guides. It just pulls straight off like the Corsair. Took it nice and slow but that is miles better now that it isn't digging into my hand. Much better.

baphomet

Just got the last piece of my new PC I put together which was a Rosewill RK9000v2 with MX blues in it. I was seriously tempted to just buy an IBM Model M, but ended up going with this instead. I swapped all the letters, esp, enter, arrows, and key pad numbers with blank red key caps. I really like the way it looks and feels. Even more I love the way it sounds.

Super happy with it thus far. I'll probably buy a DAS in the future, but for as often as I even use a keyboard, this one is really enjoyable so far.

Water

Well mechanical keyboards arent really just for games
I would go further and say mechanical keyswitches mostly matter for typing comfort.

I can't be sure if they do anything for high end competitive gamers, but a regular gamer isn't going to see improved performance out of them. Something like Topre variable weight that is at the very top in price and typing feel is actually worse in terms of gaming performance than a run-of-the-mill scissor key board. A bit ironic considering that most mech keyboard marketing is towards gamers.

(Still I recommend getting high quality boards, and in the current market, you always get mechanical switches with them whether you specifically want that or not.)

Got my first mechanical keyboard a week ago with my new PC, MX cherry blue switches.
Love it for playing and typing, I hate my keyboard at work now because of it.

It's pretty loud but I don't mind too much, my dog don't mind either so it's all fine !

vato_loco

And here was little ol' me, thinking about buying a mechanical keyboard without any background check.

So I'm guessing it's Cherry Blue for me.

Top Bottom