• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lez talk mechanical keyboards

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
My Ducky 2 Cherry Brown is starting to spaz out and not work. At least I think the keyboard is going bad but it might be the sub ports on my computer. I'll have to text them out. If I have to buy a new keyboard, I'm not sure what to get.

Shiina

Pok3r is great other than no media buttons. I had two Poker2s. Got a 3 and ended up buying a second 3 because I like how solid it feels. It's really sturdy and since it's so heavy it doesn't slide around. The only downside is that there aren't media buttons but that's coming in a firmware update supposedly.

As for clears.. idk. I thought I'd like them because I like browns a lot but they're way too stiff for me. Ended up feeling a lot of fatigue. I do enjoy typing on them but I can't type for too long because it gets tiring. Hard to bottom out at least.

Yeah I'm on a Poker II right now. I'll keep that thing about the clears in mind. Maybe I'll have the same experience because I found topre switches to be fatiguing to type on as well.

dell_sk8115_keyboard.jpg

Is this a mechanical keyboard? If so, it is the greatest keyboard I've ever owned.

MaxiLive

My Logitech G910 broke a few weeks back :( The "B" key came loose while I was playing LoL and one of the small blue tabs had snapped along with part of the plastic to lock the key in place so it was impossible to reattach.

Looks like Logitech has just dispatched a replacement, such great support as always!

theeraser

Hi guys. I'm about to start grad school for computer science, so I'll be doing a LOT of typing -- are there any other programmers who might be able to recommend a great mechanical keyboard for tons of typing? I'm not concerned about gaming functionality; I usually use a gamepad with my PC.

I saw the recommendation for Cherry MX Blue in the OP, but the linked keyboard is sold-out and the post is three years old anyway.

Thanks!

maeh2k

Hi guys. I'm about to start grad school for computer science, so I'll be doing a LOT of typing -- are there any other programmers who might be able to recommend a great mechanical keyboard for tons of typing? I'm not concerned about gaming functionality; I usually use a gamepad with my PC.

I saw the recommendation for Cherry MX Blue in the OP, but the linked keyboard is sold-out and the post is three years old anyway.

Thanks!

Check out http://www.overclock.net/t/1369214/recommended-mechanical-keyboards

Most would do. Decide on form factor, price, features like backlit keys. If you would like to be able to replace the keycaps, you might want to get a keyboard with standard size keys.

Koren

I'm surprised that keyboards like the Happy Hacking Keyboard (HHKB) isn't in the list, considering how much praise it gets, but there's a post that recommand it just below. Should I want a staggered 60%, I'd really consider it, it's a nice keyboard.

There's also a complete lack of ergonomic keyboards, as far as I can tell? (anything from Maltron to Ergodox, µTron, Truly ergonomic, Kinesis...)

Shiina

I'm surprised that keyboards like the Happy Hacking Keyboard (HHKB) isn't in the list, considering how much praise it gets, but there's a post that recommand it just below. Should I want a staggered 60%, I'd really consider it, it's a nice keyboard.

There's also a complete lack of ergonomic keyboards, as far as I can tell? (anything from Maltron to Ergodox, µTron, Truly ergonomic, Kinesis...)

If only they weren't so absurdly overpriced and actually available in Europe I would get one. I can't use non 60%s anymore and I want to give Topre another try but fuck importing a keyboard for 300€+.

Bastables

So most mechanical keyboards just work with regular USB cables right?

I ask because if I ever get one I need it to probably have a 16ft cable. Right now I'm working with a 9ft cable and even that doesn't give me a lot of slack. I'm basically talking couch gaming distances here. I'm still disappointed I haven't really heard of a wireless one yet.

I guess what I really need is that new Corsair lapboard coming out. That has a splitter built-in right?

Filco, Matthais and a couple of other's make bluetooth mechanicals.
http://www.diatec.co.jp/en/det.php?prod_c=1874

VICI0US

I picked up a refurbished corsair K70 (red switches) about a month ago off newegg for $77 and I absolutely love it.

came in the original packaging and honestly looked like it'd never been used.

Didn't even think to check if GAF had a Mechanical Keyboard thread. I have a collection of about 8 Mechs. Right now I'm at work typing on one of my favorites. It's a Leading Edge DC-2214, which has blue alps switches. I love this keyboard:

Sorry for the crummy quality, it's taken from an older iPad. I found this keyboard in a corner of an old classroom and did what I could to refurbish it. Still a bit yellow but I might get some retrobright to clean that up. Maybe I'll post some of my others sometime.

Piggus

I just got a Steelseries G6 CherryMX Reds for at home and it's awesome so far. Also found a great deal on a Das Keyboard Model S Profesional with Cherry MX Blues that I'll use for work, which should arrive today. Man, the difference between these and typical rubber dome keyboards is huge.

mvtn

Didn't even think to check if GAF had a Mechanical Keyboard thread. I have a collection of about 8 Mechs. Right now I'm at work typing on one of my favorites. It's a Leading Edge DC-2214, which has blue alps switches.

Nice catch! Those are pretty rare, how did you get yours?

I just got a Steelseries G6 CherryMX Reds for at home and it's awesome so far. Also found a great deal on a Das Keyboard Model S Profesional with Cherry MX Blues that I'll use for work, which should arrive today. Man, the difference between these and typical rubber dome keyboards is huge.

I have a Das S Pro as well, but it's with Reds. I don't really like reds it seems so it doesn't get much use. Otherwise it's a pretty decent keyboard and can be found somewhat regularly on Woot.com for sale. I've read though that some newer models of Das (4C?) are using Greentech switches. Haven't used them myself so I can't speak for their quality.

Nice catch! Those are pretty rare, how did you get yours?

Found it at work in some corner of a derelict classroom.

How do you guys clean your keyboards? I have an electric duster that I just to blow some of the loose crap off but what do you guys use to clean the keys?

Hey, I didn't know there was a thread for mech' keyboards here too.

This beauty arrived this morning :

My first mech' keyboard :

More shots here : http://imgur.com/a/xJrfv

Those are purdy. I need to pick up a Leopold someday.

How do you guys clean your keyboards? I have an electric duster that I just to blow some of the loose crap off but what do you guys use to clean the keys?

I change my keycaps too often to really get them dirty enough to clean. But you can use dental/denture cleaning tabs in warm water. Make sure it's not too hot as some thinner keys warp when soaking in it.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
So I just received my FUNC KB-460 with blues. It's my first mecha keyboard, I've been wanting to buy one for a long time but there's always been something bothering me and not make the jump, whether it was the price, color of the leds, switches, design or availability.

I'll make it simple : if you want a gorgeously clean and simple matte finish, backlit and top build quality keyboard just around the 100 euros, look no more. It's simply perfect.

It's not just because of the huge difference and "shock" it makes going to a mecha keyboard, it's simply because there's really nothing to hold against this particular keyboard. Will have to see and report back after some time, but right now I'm in love.

Anony

anyone have suggestions for wireless mechanical full keyboards

all the ones i've searched and seen seem plain and overpriced

Koren

If only they weren't so absurdly overpriced and actually available in Europe I would get one. I can't use non 60%s anymore and I want to give Topre another try but fuck importing a keyboard for 300€+.
I fully understand (and feel the same). But I think that when you list good keyboards, the price shouldn't be a reason to let a good one out. Each person can feel different about the price.

(in fact, I could seem myself put 300 in a perfect keyboard, although not in a 60% staggered one... Give me a tentable, with adjustable thumb-cluster, programmable RGB-backlit ergodox keyboard with a couple additional keys, lot of memory, topre switches and custom labelling and my 300+$ are yours ;) )

anyone have suggestions for wireless mechanical full keyboards

all the ones i've searched and seen seem plain and overpriced

'Overpriced' is subjective, as it 'plain', so I can't help you. What price range are you looking for and what does 'plain' mean to you? Also wireless mechs are more difficult to find because they mostly seem a niche item these days among enthusiasts who prefer wired connections. That goes doubly so for full style keyboards that are wireless. My wireless mech for the living room is both pricey and not full.

Anony

'Overpriced' is subjective, as it 'plain', so I can't help you. What price range are you looking for and what does 'plain' mean to you? Also wireless mechs are more difficult to find because they mostly seem a niche item these days among enthusiasts who prefer wired connections. That goes doubly so for full style keyboards that are wireless. My wireless mech for the living room is both pricey and not full.

plain as in, i would like at least some media keys: vol +/-, forward/back, play
and again, full number pad

i guess you thought plain as in design/style, i worded it bad

and, hoping for ~150 or less, but seem impossible

REDSLATE

What type of keyboards are generally used on laptops? I love the one in my DV8T. It's quick, doesn't require much force, and comfortable for extended durations.

plain as in, i would like at least some media keys: vol +/-, forward/back, play and again, full number pad

i guess you thought plain as in design/style, i worded it bad

and, hoping for ~150 or less, but seem impossible

Ah, yeah you're going to have trouble finding one that meets those requirements. I've not seen a wireless full size with media keys, let alone one for $150 or under. If I see one I'll try to remember to let you know. I spend a lot of time looking around sales sites.

What type of keyboards are generally used on laptops?

Scissor or chiclets. I personally can't stand either for very long.

Figured this would be the thread to ask, has anyone ever used the CM Storm QuickFire XT (Brown)?

I use the a CM storm TKL (so basically that sans numpad). Bought it used but it still works great. Nothing really to complain about except it has two LEDs on caps and scroll lock which I wasn't a fan of. Easy fix to remove though.

If you're looking to get a mech for gaming, I think the CM Storm boards are the perfect things to start with. My first mech was a CM Storm QFR with red switches.

You have to be really careful of one thing, though: this is a gateway keyboard. You get it, you say, "oh, this feels nice." then you start doing research on other switches. Then you start drooling over all the custom 60%s and Plancks on /r/mechanicalkeyboards. Then before you know it you've dropped $70 on the Granite keyset massdrop and you're typing forum posts on your Pok3r which you have hooked up to your Surface 3, which you really only bought because it has a USB port which can be used to hook up mechanical keyboards.

Jimrpg

Well i got the Razer Blackwidow Classic keyboard recently, and I rather like it, despite the vocal critics out there. The new mechanical keys are fine and I like the blue light. Even LinusTechTips had no problems with the KB.

But last week the cleaner threw out the plastic keyboard cover that came with the keyboard. I was so mad... I have no idea where to even get another one, I guess I'll write an email to Razer and ask for another nicely...

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
dell_sk8115_keyboard.jpg

Is this a mechanical keyboard? If so, it is the greatest keyboard I've ever owned.

I hope you aren't joking, because this truly is an amazing keyboard. The layout, resistance, travel, and overall button size are all pretty much perfect. I type around 90 wpm on this keyboard, which is hard to do on all the chiclet keyboard garbage going around nowadays.

Tadie

What do you guys think of the Razer Black Widow?

In the near future I warnt to buy a mechanical keyboard. Most of the time I play shooters like Battlefield.

You see Jukebox on Massdrop? What'd you think? It's certainly unique, and I kind of like it, but I feel like it won't actually look good on a keyboard.

Yep, it's one I've committed to. I love the retro-futurism look.

Any SA/DSA keyset ? I'm waiting for a good one in PBT.

Currently I know of the following three group buys for SA/DSA sets:
Jukebox - SA profile (image)
Galaxy Class - DSA profile (image)
Modern-Selectric - SA profile (image)

Of these three I believe only Galaxy Class is PBT. Jukebox is ABS, and I don't know about Modern Selectric but it's doubleshot so probably not PBT. I also included links to the images in case you don't have a massdrop account yet.

In the near future I warnt to buy a mechanical keyboard. Most of the time I play shooters like Battlefield.

I'm not a fan of the aesthetics of Razer products so I haven't used one myself, and in the mech community they draw a lot of hate, however I have heard they are good for what they're made for, which is gaming.

AsianOni

Currently I know of the following three group buys for SA/DSA sets:
Jukebox - SA profile (image)
Galaxy Class - DSA profile (image)
Modern-Selectric - SA profile (image)

Of these three I believe only Galaxy Class is PBT. Jukebox is ABS, and I don't know about Modern Selectric but it's doubleshot so probably not PBT. I also included links to the images in case you don't have a massdrop account yet.
Yeah, DoubleShot PBT is still too complex for Signature Plastic at the moment.

eek5

It isn't worth the price IMO. Razer uses kailh switches which are cherry MX clones. I've read a lot of reports of inconsistent actuation forces, sticky switches, etc. on top of Razer overpricing for their brand name. Kailh seems to just have bad QA in general so I'd personally avoid it especially at that price point.

Tadie

It isn't worth the price IMO. Razer uses kailh switches which are cherry MX clones. I've read a lot of reports of inconsistent actuation forces, sticky switches, etc. on top of Razer overpricing for their brand name. Kailh seems to just have bad QA in general so I'd personally avoid it especially at that price point.

Can you recommend me a keyboard for gaming?

Man since i made the step from shitty laptop keyboards to mechanical keyboard life is much better given most of my time is spent typing.

At home i use a DasKeyboard Pro 4 for gaming and programming and at work i have a
cheaper CoolerMaster Firestorm(keys which make minimal sounds but do have the key
feedback). Two of the better purchases i made in my life :p

eek5

Can you recommend me a keyboard for gaming?

Depends what kind of layout you want but Ducky Shine, Kul ES-87, CoolerMaster Quickfire are solid. Filco is really good/solid too but they generally have less features.

I personally like TKL (no num pad) as the mouse is a lot closer to your home keys and I rarely used numpad much anyway although in some games this can present a problem (Diablo III's numpad "exploit" comes to mind). Recently I've actually switched to 60% keyboards (no arrow keys and no function keys) which I like even more. The F1-12 are accessed by hitting FN+number row and I've bound function to my capslock key so my hands don't have to travel that much to hit F1-F12. Without the arrow/home keys on the right my right hand is a lot closer to the homekeys and I can transition from typing to using mouse a lot faster as well. It's probably not for everybody though.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/mechanical_keyboard_overviews

This page has good info even if it is a bit outdated.

Top Bottom