• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lez talk mechanical keyboards

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.

Seanspeed

Banned
I use browns at work and nobody's ever mentioned the sound, people don't notice until they come over and see that I'm not using a membrane keyboard from work.
Work would be one thing. I'm just thinking of typing at nighttime at home. Ya know, where everything is quieter and any sounds made get kind of amplified? I don't want my typing to be a nuisance.

If you're looking for quiet typing, mechanical switches are the wrong technology for you.
I'm not looking for 'quiet' typing necessarily, just not excessively loud.

Bastables

Work would be one thing. I'm just thinking of typing at nighttime at home. Ya know, where everything is quieter and any sounds made get kind of amplified? I don't want my typing to be a nuisance.

I'm not looking for 'quiet' typing necessarily, just not excessively loud.

Yeah you're pushing down on actual switch's generally mounted on metal plate mounted boards, when they bottom out reds/blacks/browns/blues/greens they all clack. Typing quietly at night is not a check in the box for mechanicals.

Various mountings/manufactures have issues like pinging, audible scratchs etc. You are pressing down on moving parts that have resistances that operate by having metal clips ping/click and/or slide off moving plastic. Quiet mech's are just not a thing even with o-rings, lube ect.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah you're pushing down on actual switch's generally mounted on metal plate mounted boards, when they bottom out reds/blacks/browns/blues/greens they all clack. Typing quietly at night is not a check in the box for mechanicals.

Various mountings/manufactures have issues like pinging, audible scratchs etc. You are pressing down on moving parts that have resistances that operate by having metal clips ping/click and/or slide off moving plastic. Quiet mech's are just not a thing even with o-rings, lube ect.
Again man, not looking for quiet typing, just not something excessively loud.

I'll skip on it anyways. Nobody is saying anything reassuring here at all. lol

derExperte

Bought a Corsair K70 Brown two weeks ago, I won't ever talk bad about my old Logitech Illuminated but it's been a good upgrade and I love the overall design of that thing, very compact and the wrist rest is perfect for me.

Browns (just like Reds) do not make a clicking sound, they aren't silent because of the friction noises and the spring snapping back but if you only press them down so far that they activate they aren't much louder than your typical non-mechanical keyboard. What can be loud is you hitting them full speed and them then hitting the bottom of the keyboard. If that's annoying there's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6zXSFEWThU

Bastables

Again wrong tech for "quiet typing at night."

Browns vs reds : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w_Guz-3bAY

blues vs membrane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwl-iGVWheI

Membranes have a lower pitched bottoming out clack as there is no extra noise from the movement of the stem and stem also bottoming out on the switchs case (even in linear switches like blacks and reds).

I would suggest you look into cherry mx red switches. Knowing you are a gamer, mx reds are fantastic for gaming, it was really a revelation when I got my Corsair K70.

Reds can be loud at first because you will probably bottom out every key press. There is no audible click because reds are just a straight up and down actuation, but they actuate about halfway down. So once you learn to not bottom out each key press they can be rather quiet to type on.

You can also get rubber 0-rings to dampen the bottoming out, but I didn't like the feel.

On the plus side, reds are SO GOOD for gaming IMO. Playing battlefield with mx reds is really something else. My movement definitely improved.

Seanspeed

Banned
Again wrong tech for "quiet typing at night."
I'm not looking for quiet typing at night. Why are you wilfully ignoring where I keep repeating that? If quiet typing was my top priority, I'd be shopping for a quiet-type keyboard, wouldn't I?

I realize mechanical keyboards are louder. I'm trying to see if the Brown switches will be excessively loud for typing at night. Think in degrees here man.

Browns won't. The main noise in their case will be the sound of the keycap bottoming out, which if you do you're already making a pretty similar amount of noise on a normal membrane keyboard.

Browns (just like Reds) do not make a clicking sound, they aren't silent because of the friction noises and the spring snapping back but if you only press them down so far that they activate they aren't much louder than your typical non-mechanical keyboard. What can be loud is you hitting them full speed and them then hitting the bottom of the keyboard. If that's annoying there's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6zXSFEWThU
Thanks. The dampening might be an option if I think they're too loud I guess.

Do you really have to kind of relearn how to type, in terms of the pressure involved? I'm probably not a light touch typer as it is.

I would suggest you look into cherry mx red switches. Knowing you are a gamer, mx reds are fantastic for gaming, it was really a revelation when I got my Corsair K70.

Reds can be loud at first because you will probably bottom out every key press. There is no audible click because reds are just a straight up and down actuation, but they actuate about halfway down. So once you learn to not bottom out each key press they can be rather quiet to type on.

You can also get rubber 0-rings to dampen the bottoming out, but I didn't like the feel.

On the plus side, reds are SO GOOD for gaming IMO. Playing battlefield with mx reds is really something else. My movement definitely improved.
Sounds great, but the deal I've found only comes with the Browns. I'll keep that in mind if I don't go with this, though.

derExperte

Do you really have to kind of relearn how to type, in terms of the pressure involved? I'm probably not a light touch typer as it is.

I made more typing errors in the first week but I think that was mainly because I was used to very flat keys from my Logi Illu, it's different but not hard to adjust. Regarding the switches, browns aren't much different than reds, the pressure needed is the same but you'll feel a slight bump with the browns when they activate which imo is a) very *hmmm* satisfying? and b) helped me adjust. It also prevents some accidental presses. In general the browns seem to be the best compromise if you game and type equally while the reds are more geared towards gamers but as I said, the differences aren't that big and you gotta start somewhere.

Seanspeed

Banned
I made more typing errors in the first week but I think that was mainly because I was used to very flat keys from my Logi Illu, it's different but not hard to adjust. Regarding the switches, brown aren't much different than red, the pressure needed is the same but you'll feel a slight bump with the browns when they activate which imo is a) very *hmmm* satisfying? and b) helped me adjust. It also prevents some accidental presses. In general the browns seem to be the best compromise if you game and type equally while the reds are more geared towards gamers but as I said, the differences aren't that big and you gotta start somewhere.
Yea, I do plenty of typing, plus gaming, so it seemed to be a good option.

I think I'll go for it. £50 looks like too good a price to pass up.

Thanks.

Bastables

I'm not looking for quiet typing at night. Why are you wilfully ignoring where I keep repeating that? If quiet typing was my top priority, I'd be shopping for a quiet-type keyboard, wouldn't I?

I realize mechanical keyboards are louder. I'm trying to see if the Brown switches will be excessively loud for typing at night. Think in degrees here man.

When do you realize that noting by their design and function all mechanical keyboards generate noise that looking for a non "noisy" "quieter" "non annoying" typing in the dead of night is a fools errand.

It's as inane as asking which COD would be a good start but then qualifying you don't really like fps as they make you slightly motion sick. Then modifying your parameter" which one will make me least motion sick."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/242037/mechanical_keyboard_faq_pick_the_right_switch.html

Our testing process started out in the PCWorld video studios, where PCWorld Senior Editor Jason Cross and I took turns typing a sample paragraph and recording peak volume levels for each keyboard. Our video studio had an ambient sound level of 34.5 decibels (dB). here are the results for each keyboard we tested, from loudest to softest, including two sample membrane keyboards for comparison:
KEYBOARD MODEL Switch type Peak sound level (dB)
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth Edition Brown 59.3
Rosewill RK-9000 Blue 57.7
Adesso MKB-135B Blue 57.3
Das Keyboard Model S Professional Blue 57.0
Diatec Filco Majestouch 2 Camouflage Blue 57.0
Diatec Filco Majestouch Ninja Black 55.6
Thermaltake Meka/Meka G1 Black 54.6
Logitech membrane keyboard n/a 54.2
SteelSeries 6Gv2/7G Black 54.1
Microsoft Digital Media 3000 membrane keyboard n/a 47.4

Rolfgang

I got my Corsair K70 RGB Brown now for two weeks and wow... Why haven't I tried a mechanical keyboard before? Cherry MX Brown is amazing for both typing and gaming. We're getting married next week.

Seanspeed

Banned
When do you realize that noting by their design and function all mechanical keyboards generate noise that looking for a non "noisy" "quieter" "non annoying" typing in the dead of night is a fools errand.

It's as inane as asking which COD would be a good start but then qualifying you don't really like fps as they make you slightly motion sick. Then modifying your parameter" which one will make me least motion sick."
I don't know how many times I've gotta say that I'm not looking for quiet typing. Jesus christ. Was hoping to get some input from others who may have some experience with the Brown switches and see if they felt their keyboards were too loud to use at night. Not if they're loud, but too loud. If you wanna help with that, feel free, but this constant misrepresentation of what I'm asking, like I'm looking for a silent keyboard or something, is just wasting my time and yours as well.

Willectro

Banned
I don't know how many times I've gotta say that I'm not looking for quiet typing. Jesus christ. Was hoping to get some input from others who may have some experience with the Brown switches and see if they felt their keyboards were too loud to use at night. Not if they're loud, but too loud. If you wanna help with that, feel free, but this constant misrepresentation of what I'm asking, like I'm looking for a silent keyboard or something, is just wasting my time and yours as well.

Just get o-ring dampeners. They reduce the sound and feel pretty good IMO. I had to put red ones on my work keyboard (Ducky Shine 2 TKL, cherry reds), and a few keys by preference on my home (gaming) keyboard (Ducky Shine 3 TKL). This is a huge personal preference as it definitely changes the feel of the keys and I'm sure some purists would deem this blasphemy.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-accessories/cherry-mx-rubber-o-ring-switch-dampeners-125pcs.html

Seanspeed

Banned
Just get o-ring dampeners. They reduce the sound and feel pretty good IMO. I had to put red ones on my work keyboard (Ducky Shine 2 TKL, cherry reds), and a few keys by preference on my home (gaming) keyboard (Ducky Shine 3 TKL). This is a huge personal preference as it definitely changes the feel of the keys and I'm sure some purists would deem this blasphemy.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-accessories/cherry-mx-rubber-o-ring-switch-dampeners-125pcs.html
I'll definitely get these if I think its too much.

I'm gonna try and see if I cant get used to a softer typing style first, so I can at least tone it down at night if needed. I think that'll go a long way, especially going by that video there.

Keyboard is ordered, though!

Willectro

Banned
I'll definitely get these if I think its too much.

I'm gonna try and see if I cant get used to a softer typing style first, so I can at least tone it down at night if needed. I think that'll go a long way, especially going by that video there.

Keyboard is ordered, though!

I've tried them on browns as well, and they worked ok. I'm sure if you shop around you can find the o-rings cheaper, or there may be a better solution. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that higher quality keycaps (PBT, for example) may yield even better dampening results. There's some on massdrop right now that I'm tempted to order. Not a huge fan of the stock ducky keycaps, but they do the job.

I don't punch the keys or anything, but I find the soft typing to be difficult. O-rings on the WASD keys has been a big improvement for me.

Hey, did you know mechanical keyboards aren't quiet? Just messing. I haven't used browns myself but I believe they're a 'middle ground' switch that sacrifices some feeling for less noise. So they're not going to be too loud. But then again I use Alps blues, so most switches are less noisy.

AsianOni

I've tried them on browns as well, and they worked ok. I'm sure if you shop around you can find the o-rings cheaper, or there may be a better solution. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that higher quality keycaps (PBT, for example) may yield even better dampening results. There's some on massdrop right now that I'm tempted to order. Not a huge fan of the stock ducky keycaps, but they do the job.

I don't punch the keys or anything, but I find the soft typing to be difficult. O-rings on the WASD keys has been a big improvement for me.

Soft typing should be easier on linear switches (red/black/grey), but I've never tried tactile ones.

Cooler Master Storm Quickfire TK Stealth w/ Brown switches only £50 here

http://www.ebuyer.com/584047-cooler...ical-gaming-keyboard-cherry-sgk-4021-gkcm1-uk

Are these going to be a lot louder than normal keys? I can deal with a bit more noise, but not too much as I type plenty at night.
So I've been waiting for this keyboard to be sold in NA again for the past couple months. It's still no where to be found except on Mass Drop every once and awhile but the last time it had green switches when I wanted brown. Last night I caved in and bought one in supposedly great condition on eBay.

I really love the stealth look because it still has labels unlike the Das Keyboard Ultimates. Right now I'm using a Microsoft Sculpt which I actually love but for gaming it sucks because the RF wireless is wonky and will often keep holding a key down after I pressed it.

As for switches I'm in the same boat. I don't want something excessively loud, but it doesn't need to be dead quiet either (reread if Bastables) and brown seems like a good compromise. I think I'm going to order one of those testers too that is a small PCB with all the switch types.

I can't wait to hear your impressions!

Seanspeed

Banned
So I've been waiting for this keyboard to be sold in NA again for the past couple months. It's still no where to be found except on Mass Drop every once and awhile but the last time it had green switches when I wanted brown. Last night I caved in and bought one in supposedly great condition on eBay.

I really love the stealth look because it still has labels unlike the Das Keyboard Ultimates. Right now I'm using a Microsoft Sculpt which I actually love but for gaming it sucks because the RF wireless is wonky and will often keep holding a key down after I pressed it.

As for switches I'm in the same boat. I don't want something excessively loud, but it doesn't need to be dead quiet either (reread if Bastables) and brown seems like a good compromise. I think I'm going to order one of those testers too that is a small PCB with all the switch types.

Yea, I can deal without the labels on the tops of the keys, but not zero labels at all like some others. Having them on the sides seems like a pretty awesome solution. Reminds me a bit of how I don't need inlays in the middle of my fretboards for my guitars, but I do appreciate at least a little indicator on the side as a guide.

I'll definitely let you know as soon as I get it. I'm already trying to keep my key noise down with my existing keyboard just practicing, and while I have to press down fully and it means some mistakes typing softly, I think I'm gonna do alright, especially if I can lighten up my touch and still have keys register. I don't sit on top of my keyboard or anything, so it should be pretty comfortable to touch type.

Wallach

Yea, I can deal without the labels on the tops of the keys, but not zero labels at all like some others. Having them on the sides seems like a pretty awesome solution. Reminds me a bit of how I don't need inlays in the middle of my fretboards for my guitars, but I do appreciate at least a little indicator on the side as a guide.

I'll definitely let you know as soon as I get it. I'm already trying to keep my key noise down with my existing keyboard just practicing, and while I have to press down fully and it means some mistakes typing softly, I think I'm gonna do alright, especially if I can lighten up my touch and still have keys register. I don't sit on top of my keyboard or anything, so it should be pretty comfortable to touch type.

You'll be fine, it is actually quite a bit easier to type softly on something with browns than it is a membrane keyboard. Make sure to report back here once you have it to let us know how it isn't nearly as loud as some folks might have suggested.

Anyone here able to let me know if the Macro functionality on the Corsair K95 is at least on par with the functionality from Logitech on the G19?

I use the macro's daily on my G19 but I'm thinking of going to a K95 and need to make sure I'll still have the same level of functionality.

Just saw a comment on reddit by a seller that RGB pok3rs are supposedly gonna hit around the holidays this year.

i'm not gonna be able to resist that. at all. should I go for clears again or try a new switch type?!

MNC

I'm torn between a K70 RGB and a Das Keyboard 4 Professional. I mostly do programming with a bit of gaming. I think the balance is quite even how much I do each of these activities. MX Brown.

I prefer having backlight because I might do some work/gaming in the dark and I often find myself looking for a certain key if I have to press it (F keys and whatnot) with my current, horrible keyboard.
Rationally I would go for a K70RGB, but the Das looks so good plus it's a bit of a "being premium" kind of thing. I don't like the whole "gamer gear" thing some hardware's got going on.
It doesn't help both keyboards are fucking expensive.

I dunno, I guess I'm looking for a concrete answer which keyboard I should get, or an alternative that might fulfill my needs of a backlit, premium quality, full (non TKL) keyboard.

Edit: Ducky Shine 5 looks really good. Shame it hasn't been released yet.

Calabi

I'm torn between a K70 RGB and a Das Keyboard 4 Professional. I mostly do programming with a bit of gaming. I think the balance is quite even how much I do each of these activities. MX Brown.

I prefer having backlight because I might do some work/gaming in the dark and I often find myself looking for a certain key if I have to press it (F keys and whatnot) with my current, horrible keyboard.
Rationally I would go for a K70RGB, but the Das looks so good plus it's a bit of a "being premium" kind of thing. I don't like the whole "gamer gear" thing some hardware's got going on.
It doesn't help both keyboards are fucking expensive.

I dunno, I guess I'm looking for a concrete answer which keyboard I should get, or an alternative that might fulfill my needs of a backlit, premium quality, full (non TKL) keyboard.

Edit: Ducky Shine 5 looks really good. Shame it hasn't been released yet.

I was going back and forth basically with the same two choices. I went with the K70 because its smaller, width wise, (cheaper on deal) and it comes with a keyboard rest, thats the only reason. I'm not concerned with all the frills rgb lights and 1000 millisecond polling shit(I didnt know slow keyboards was such a concern).

I'll let you know in a few days if its any good.

I use the razor blackwidow ultimate. I got it from best buy on a sale and I love it. The keys are clicky and I kinda of have this knowing of when I hit the keys properly. I play Starcraft 2 a lot with those keyboard as well as some shooters and it's helpful. I also do some web design on this so typing on it is a joy.

Seanspeed

Banned

You'll be fine, it is actually quite a bit easier to type softly on something with browns than it is a membrane keyboard. Make sure to report back here once you have it to let us know how it isn't nearly as loud as some folks might have suggested.
Literally typing on it right now for the first time. Its not that loud. Its clackety. A *different* sort of sound for sure.

And it feels like I have to press harder on keys than I was used to, mainly because my previous keyboard(the old Logitech K120) has super shallow keys. Its thicker than I'm used to as well, which affects my hand position, but I don't think its terribly awkward or straining.

Feels good so far. Not super amazed with the typing feel, but I can see how this feeling becomes...not addicting, but a new standard, lets say.

I think I'll need a few days with it to really get a better feel for it. Already though, I can see that its not nearly as crazy loud as I was potentially expecting.

Looks awesome, though. And its narrower than my old keyboard, which makes my right hand mouse position feel more comfortable since I can bring it a bit closer.

EDIT: I can already type pretty quietly, I think. Its not silent by any means, but its not WHACK WHACK WHACK WHACK like I've seen people type on them in videos. People that obviously have a much heavier touch.

DesuNe

How do people feel about the Apex M800? I saw they were doing a Dota 2 version so wondered how it compared. Do the custom switches make people sick?

Blitzhex

I bought one of these off Massdrop, Varmilo VB87M Bluetooth /w gateron browns. Hope the bluetooth doesn't randomly cut out or repeat keys :D Anyone have any suggestions on high quality bluetooth dongles?
Love the mint caps and the case (as thin as a k70/95). Reviews say the case is very heavy and sturdy as well, which is a huge plus.

HTB1G9CjGXXXXXb8apXXq6xXFXXXx.jpg

I bought one of these off Massdrop, Varmilo VB87M Bluetooth /w gateron browns. Hope the bluetooth doesn't randomly cut out or repeat keys :D Anyone have any suggestions on high quality bluetooth dongles?
Love the mint caps and the case (as thin as a k70/95). Reviews say the case is very heavy and sturdy as well, which is a huge plus.

HTB1G9CjGXXXXXb8apXXq6xXFXXXx.jpg
I've never had issues with that stuff over bluetooth. In my experience its RF that has bullshit problems like that. You should be good.

Typing on my first DSA set, Granite round 3 FINALLY got here. I've been waiting since April.

It definitely feels weird at first, but I like it a lot. The fact that they're much thinner PBT than the Pok3r's default keycaps definitely helps me feel the bump from my clears a little more.

Literally typing on it right now for the first time. Its not that loud. Its clackety. A *different* sort of sound for sure.

And it feels like I have to press harder on keys than I was used to, mainly because my previous keyboard(the old Logitech K120) has super shallow keys. Its thicker than I'm used to as well, which affects my hand position, but I don't think its terribly awkward or straining.

Feels good so far. Not super amazed with the typing feel, but I can see how this feeling becomes...not addicting, but a new standard, lets say.

I think I'll need a few days with it to really get a better feel for it. Already though, I can see that its not nearly as crazy loud as I was potentially expecting.

Looks awesome, though. And its narrower than my old keyboard, which makes my right hand mouse position feel more comfortable since I can bring it a bit closer.

EDIT: I can already type pretty quietly, I think. Its not silent by any means, but its not WHACK WHACK WHACK WHACK like I've seen people type on them in videos. People that obviously have a much heavier touch.
Yeah, I've been using mine for 2 weeks and have a similar opinion. It looks great, wired vs. RF performance is awesome, but otherwise... it's fine?

Just ordered a CM quickfire XT stealth brown switch for the work office for 113 AUD delivered from SkyComp.
image_671.jpg

Ended up with this one as I didn't really like the font on the normal XT otherwise I would have probably got that instead. I know its the same font on the stealth but I think as its printed on the front side of the key cap its not as... offensive, also i think the stealth look is kinda fun :p.

I kinda wanted white LEDs but the CM ultimate is just not aesthetically pleasing to me, also it has the aforementioned font issue and I also do not like the extra labeling for media keys.

I would have waited for the XTi which fixed everything and if it had white LEDs.

I was also considering the Ducky Zero Shine with white LEDs but again disliked the extra printing on the F10 winlock and f12 nkey roll over function keys. Also was not really fond of the ducky branding of the command and space bar keys. Otherwise I would have gotten this probably.

My ideal keyboard for this situation would probably be something like the WASD code, but after the price conversion and delivering it to Australia would cost around 240 AUD which is just over twice what I am paying for the CMQFXTS including delivery. I could get a DAS 4 pro delivered for that kind of money which has superior build quality to the code keyboard.

The Deck Hassium Pro looks ok apart from the terrible font. The vortex don't really illuminate the numbers in the top row well and they have a branded space bar.

I am excited to receive my first mechanical keyboard!

Anony

found the keyboard i want, has media controls, full keyboard, and a usb 3.0 hub
(i wanted wireless, but i thought if i needed a hub, which needs wires anyways, i could get both with a keyboard)

the problem is.. it's 190 CAD, plus tax, it's going to be like, 230$
don't think there's any other alternative
i'm hoping one day, it will be on sale or something for 150, then i might get it

found the keyboard i want, has media controls, full keyboard, and a usb 3.0 hub
(i wanted wireless, but i thought if i needed a hub, which needs wires anyways, i could get both with a keyboard)

the problem is.. it's 190 CAD, plus tax, it's going to be like, 230$
don't think there's any other alternative
i'm hoping one day, it will be on sale or something for 150, then i might get it

If you can live without having dedicated media keys and instead have FN media keys then there quite a few wired options that would be in your price range. One such option is the old Das Model S keyboard which has two usb ports (not powered ports). You should be able to find this one for cheaper than the DAS 4.

Edit: I read some of your previous posts and saw that you were looking for a plain keyboard, and the one I suggested is in some ways is less plain then the DAS 4.

Anony

If you can live without having dedicated media keys and instead have FN media keys then there quite a few wired options that would be in your price range. One such option is the old Das Model S keyboard which has two usb ports (not powered ports). You should be able to find this one for cheaper than the DAS 4.

Edit: I read some of your previous posts and saw that you were looking for a plain keyboard, and the one I suggested is in some ways is less plain then the DAS 4.

that, imo, is NOT a good keyboard mainly due to the fact that the surface is glossy
who the hell thought that was a good idea
also, rather get usb 3.0

Seanspeed

Banned
Yeah, I've been using mine for 2 weeks and have a similar opinion. It looks great, wired vs. RF performance is awesome, but otherwise... it's fine?
Yea, it's fine. Was definitely over-worried about the noise levels, too.

After more use, I'm really enjoying the typing feel more and more. I actually look forward to opportunities to use it. :)

I think my one complaint is related to this:

Just ordered a CM quickfire XT stealth brown switch for the work office for 113 AUD delivered from SkyComp.

Ended up with this one as I didn't really like the font on the normal XT otherwise I would have probably got that instead. I know its the same font on the stealth but I think as its printed on the front side of the key cap its not as... offensive, also i think the stealth look is kinda fun :p.
I love the look of the Stealth keys, but in a dark room, it makes some of the special function keys hard to identify, since I don't have it all memorized, especially on a UK layout.

I think I'd also have liked a backlight for the WASD keys. Not just for gaming, but just so, again, in a dark environment, I can quickly get a reference for where my hands go to type. Looking from the screen down to the keyboard in the dark, it takes a second for my eyes to adjust to the black keys, so I cant just throw my hand up on the keyboard instantly and have em right where I want em. WASD being backlit would have helped that.

Just minor nitpicks, though. Love it, otherwise.

So somehow, thanks to a blown fuse, half of my Logitech G910 doesn't light up anymore. Luckily, Amazon is refunding it.

I'll get one again soon, I justbwish I could find a fix to get Winamp to take control of the hotkeys!

AsianOni

Yea, it's fine. Was definitely over-worried about the noise levels, too.

After more use, I'm really enjoying the typing feel more and more. I actually look forward to opportunities to use it. :)

I think my one complaint is related to this:

I love the look of the Stealth keys, but in a dark room, it makes some of the special function keys hard to identify, since I don't have it all memorized, especially on a UK layout.

I think I'd also have liked a backlight for the WASD keys. Not just for gaming, but just so, again, in a dark environment, I can quickly get a reference for where my hands go to type. Looking from the screen down to the keyboard in the dark, it takes a second for my eyes to adjust to the black keys, so I cant just throw my hand up on the keyboard instantly and have em right where I want em. WASD being backlit would have helped that.

Just minor nitpicks, though. Love it, otherwise.

You can use the F and J keys to help you placing your hands.

xezuru

What are the best bang for buck models for mechanical keyboards?
Main Personal Priorities:
1) Build Quality / Lasting Power
2) Full keyboard preferred, at least a Num Pad.
3) MX Browns preferred, with an N-Key Rollover option

Normally, I was looking at the Quickfire XT as it's Costar-made to last, but the original is out of print, and I have no idea if the XTi will be in a semi-simular price range and build quality.

I know Filco, Ducky, and Leopold, I think are pretty renouned for their build quality which is my #1 priority, I don't care about LEDs and such, but I have no idea model wise to look out for, I wish there was a sub<$100 bang for buck option like the original XT, but I doubt it, models around that area would be nice though.

durandal_ultimate.png

I finally cracked and got a Tesoro Durandal Ultimate keyboard with MX Browns.

First time even trying a mechanical keyboard, I was expecting the keys to provide much more resistance, they are extremely easy to press. I'm really glad I got it though, it just feels mich better than my previous painfuly average membrane keyboard. Now I want to try one with MX Blues, I am really curious about switches with an additional accent. I fear I may become crazy and own like 4 mechanical keyboards, so I'm probably not going to do that :)

Thanks for your opinions here everybody, helped me a lot

Top Bottom