• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lez talk mechanical keyboards

Shiina

Can you recommend me a keyboard for gaming?

There isn't really such a thing as a keyboard that is good for gaming. Unless you're buying highly unconventional switches such as greens or whites you're not going to run into any trouble while playing with a mechanical keyboard. Plenty of SC2 pros used to play with blue switches which some considered suboptimal for gaming but it's really not a big difference.

I hope you aren't joking, because this truly is an amazing keyboard. The layout, resistance, travel, and overall button size are all pretty much perfect. I type around 90 wpm on this keyboard, which is hard to do on all the chiclet keyboard garbage going around nowadays.

Model number? I need a good keyboard but don't have the cash for a mech. Some day. Bless u clickin fools! :)

dell_sk8115_keyboard.jpg

Is this a mechanical keyboard? If so, it is the greatest keyboard I've ever owned.

im using one right now, didnt know that a generic dell keyboard had such a good rep

dell_sk8115_keyboard.jpg

Is this a mechanical keyboard? If so, it is the greatest keyboard I've ever owned.

Been using that for about 10 years since it came with a Dell computer my family bought.

Edit: on another look i can see mine is a slightly older version, is just has a printed windows logo as opposed to the recessed button on the keyboard above.

Tadie

Depends what kind of layout you want but Ducky Shine, Kul ES-87, CoolerMaster Quickfire are solid. Filco is really good/solid too but they generally have less features.

I personally like TKL (no num pad) as the mouse is a lot closer to your home keys and I rarely used numpad much anyway although in some games this can present a problem (Diablo III's numpad "exploit" comes to mind). Recently I've actually switched to 60% keyboards (no arrow keys and no function keys) which I like even more. The F1-12 are accessed by hitting FN+number row and I've bound function to my capslock key so my hands don't have to travel that much to hit F1-F12. Without the arrow/home keys on the right my right hand is a lot closer to the homekeys and I can transition from typing to using mouse a lot faster as well. It's probably not for everybody though.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/mechanical_keyboard_overviews

This page has good info even if it is a bit outdated.

Thanks for the feedback.

I looked @ ebay and found CM Storm Quickfire XT Cherry Blue for just 50€.

Its slightly used ( November 2014 ).

But in good condition....so I bought it ;)

It's just a good rubber dome, not mechanical. This was my keyboard before I saw the light of Cherry MX Blue.

I'm having trouble identifying which version of the SK-8115 that is. Does the quality vary that much? Of course, they're hard to find at a decent price now...

Actually, is it the Dell L100 I'm looking at? Is there a difference?

Thanks for the feedback.

I looked @ ebay and found CM Storm Quickfire XT Cherry Blue for just 50€.

Its slightly used ( November 2014 ).

But in good condition....so I bought it ;)

I have a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with Reds. It's a solid keyboard despite having bought it used. I think you'll be satisfied when you get your hands on it. Here's some pics I took of it today:

Crappy photo quality because my camera had no charge so it's from a junky phone. The caps came from two cheap sets except for the novelty Eva key which is from HolyOOPS.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I'm thinking of getting one of these since my current keyboard is tapping out. I'l be going with either the brown or red, but I'm not sure. I mostly just type, but I do game sometimes.

I'm responding to the Poker II/Pok3r, this Varmilo, and a full Ducky Shine.

I also really like the Race II, but it's out of stock. :/

So many options.

I have a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with Reds. It's a solid keyboard despite having bought it used. I think you'll be satisfied when you get your hands on it. Here's some pics I took of it today:

Crappy photo quality because my camera had no charge so it's from a junky phone. The caps came from two cheap sets except for the novelty Eva key which is from HolyOOPS.

Didn't even need to see the rest of the post to know why that keyboard was green and purple. :)

SJRB

Gold Member
Received my Corsair K70 cherry blue a couple of hours ago.

I've been using my default HP wireless keyboard I received when I bought my desktop three years ago. It works kinda okay, but it's not until I've been using the K70 that I notice how huge the difference is in terms of key registration. It's so good.

Also, it's loud as fuck but also super satisfying haha. I'm not even sure why, but the clicking is just really nice.

Made a bit of a mistake though, thought I ordered the full RGB keyboard but it's red LED only. This kinda sucks since everything in my setup is blue, but on the other hand the ketboard now sticks out and that's actually pretty neat.

grkazan12

I think I just narrowed down my choices to the CM Quickfire XT or the Ducky Zero w/Backlight.

They both look great. I hate the font of the Quickfire, but I do love the braided and removable USB cord. The Ducky backlight is great, the Volume/Calculator hotkeys are excellent, but the decal on the spacebar is lame and it also doesn't have the removable/braided cord.

The Quickfire is $95.00 whereas the Ducky would be $129.00. Any info would be helpful?

"You have to be really careful of one thing, though: this is a gateway keyboard. You get it, you say, "oh, this feels nice." then you start doing research on other switches. Then you start drooling over all the custom 60%s and Plancks on /r/mechanicalkeyboards. Then before you know it you've dropped $70 on the Granite keyset massdrop and you're typing forum posts on your Pok3r which you have hooked up to your Surface 3, which you really only bought because it has a USB port which can be used to hook up mechanical keyboards."

Yeah, this is how I ended up with a Neutrino on order.

xezuru

I think I just narrowed down my choices to the CM Quickfire XT or the Ducky Zero w/Backlight.

They both look great. I hate the font of the Quickfire, but I do love the braided and removable USB cord. The Ducky backlight is great, the Volume/Calculator hotkeys are excellent, but the decal on the spacebar is lame and it also doesn't have the removable/braided cord.

The Quickfire is $95.00 whereas the Ducky would be $129.00. Any info would be helpful?

Can I ask where you lookin for for the Quickfire XT, I thought they were well out of print.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I always chuckle when I read this thread title as its kind of annoying to talk to someone when they are using a mechanical keyboard, they are loud!

I've got a bunch of them from the late 80's early 90's and I remember taking the transition away from them hard when I got my first real ass Windows 95 PC.

I've got a Corsair K70 with Red switches, and I absolutely love it. Hitting the keys with some force just feels right, especially when typing. The backlit component isn't too bad, either. Tired of low-profile keyboards, and I hope this one lasts me for a long, long time.

Chesskid1

Banned
picked up a steelseries 6gv2 (red) on a whim while buying pc parts on microcenter a few months ago.

fell in love with it and all the beautiful photos on /r/mech.

just ordered a ducky shine 3 TKL (blues) for $105 off ncixus. excited to try the blue, reds werent loud enough. wanted to get the K65 RGB TKL but seems it doesn't come in blues :(

already thinking about buying custom caps and maybe a poker soon and it hasnt even arrived yet.

damnit.

Been considering getting mechanical keyboard for a little while now, currently at work I have been given a crappy Logitech keyboard that frustrates me to no end, even my 10 year old dell keyboard is better. I have always wanted to take the plunge on a mechanical keyboard, but have never (knowingly) used one except for the razer keyboards but I hear those aren't the real thing.

Today i ordered a mechanical key sampler from ebay which should arrive in 2 to 3 weeks. I was just wondering from anyone who has tried one of these things and then purchased a full keyboard if they are a good representation of mechanical keys.

Tadie

BTW im really happy with my new mechanical keyboard!

Thanks a lot for the recommendations :)

Shiina

Been considering getting mechanical keyboard for a little while now, currently at work I have been given a crappy Logitech keyboard that frustrates me to no end, even my 10 year old dell keyboard is better. I have always wanted to take the plunge on a mechanical keyboard, but have never (knowingly) used one except for the razer keyboards but I hear those aren't the real thing.

Today i ordered a mechanical key sampler from ebay which should arrive in 2 to 3 weeks. I was just wondering from anyone who has tried one of these things and then purchased a full keyboard if they are a good representation of mechanical keys.

I wouldn't say so. I've posted about it before but I really enjoyed pressing down Topre switches, however typing on them was a different experience (they were tiring me out a bit because you can't not bottom them out). Pressing browns on the other hand is kind of meh because the tactile response isn't all that noticeable but typing on them feels much nicer because you don't have to bottom them out and typing becomes this 'gliding over the keyboard' kind of thing.
However the real reason why I didn't keep my Novatouch is because I find TKLs to be too big after getting used to 60%s.

Got my k70 yesterday. Fit and finish is top notch. Typing feels great on it. My accuracy immediately went up. The backlight is very clear per key. The audio controls are great along with the option to disable the windows key with a dedicated key. Really well though out.

Jimrpg

I know you got your keyboard already, but for anyone that was thinking about a Razer Blackwidow, I got one a couple of months ago and I really like it. The couple of reviews on it on the web (jayztwocents and linustechtips) recommend it as well. It doesn't get a good rap on GAF as most of the people here like Duckyshine and CM Quickfire, but i was able to get matching blue LEDS with the blackwidow keyboard and the deathadder mouse (which is also a really good mouse too). As with any mechanical keyboard owner, I really love coming home and just typing on the thing. It does use clone switches and not cherry mx ones, but if you've never used one before its hard to differentiate. Linustechtips can't tell either. The blackwidow also has five programmable keys on the side. For gaming anyone of these keyboards will do I imagine, I don't think its going to make too much of a difference.

Glad you're happy with it. I find CM Quickfires is the safest choice for any level of enthusiast, and even non-enthusiasts. They're also typically very easy to customize so if you ever get bored of the look you can toss some new caps and plastidip the case to match.

Tadie

Glad you're happy with it. I find CM Quickfires is the safest choice for any level of enthusiast, and even non-enthusiasts. They're also typically very easy to customize so if you ever get board of the look you can toss some new caps and plastidip the case to match.

Yeah and the build quality is awesome!

I just love the feel of the keyboad.

@ arbok

Thanks for the short feedback :)

MNC

Alright GAF,

Looking for a mechanical keyboard with blue switches (I prefer Green, but was told the extra click might give finger fatigue, so blue is fine too).

• Blue switches
  • Budget of €100 - €125
  • Great for work and gaming
  • Really simple aesthetics (no gamer settings or crazy lights, except for maybe a backlight/LEDS (white!)
  • Simple US International layout (That means separate arrow keys, separate numpad block, no crazy icons on the keyboard like Ducky)
  • Any extras like USB ports are welcome
  • Shipping to Europe, preferably just shipping within the Netherlands without too many extra costs

The CM Storm QuickFire XT is basically what I want, but maybe a bit more visually appealing and with backlight. Apparently the DAS keyboards are REALLY good, but they seem to be way out of my pricerange (€170 - €200)

Looking for all kinds of suggestions and looking to learn the world of mechanical keyboards as well! Brands, types, keys, what have you.

Edit: Damn, I see keyboards like this

large_764_IMG_2974.jpg

And it attracts me a lot, but it's also... a tad overdone. I have really mixed, yet positive feelings for a keyboard such as this. It's a shame white doesn't fit my Fractal Design R5 Black :(

I wouldn't say so. I've posted about it before but I really enjoyed pressing down Topre switches, however typing on them was a different experience (they were tiring me out a bit because you can't not bottom them out). Pressing browns on the other hand is kind of meh because the tactile response isn't all that noticeable but typing on them feels much nicer because you don't have to bottom them out and typing becomes this 'gliding over the keyboard' kind of thing.
However the real reason why I didn't keep my Novatouch is because I find TKLs to be too big after getting used to 60%s.

hmm ok, thank you for your reply! :)

Alright GAF,

The CM Storm QuickFire XT is basically what I want, but maybe a bit more visually appealing and with backlight. Apparently the DAS keyboards are REALLY good, but they seem to be way out of my pricerange (€170 - €200)

There is a quickfire keyboard with backlighting (Quickfire XTi) that was revealed at computex. One person on reddit posted pictures of his/her review sample yesterday. Don't know how much it is or when it is coming out, but I didn't do much searching.

finalflame

Gold Member
Really, really looking for a white TKL board with Greens or Clears and white LED. Anyone know of such a thing?

My NZXTxDucky Shine 3 is great except the F4 key has gone out and it has MX Reds. :/

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I searched the thread and got nothing about SteelSeries Apex M800 Mechanical Keyboard. so I'll ask then...

anyone here use the Apex M800 and can give me his impressions on the QS1 switches mechanical? (supposed it's designed for gaming first and not typing like the other mechanical keyboards)

Shiina

I searched the thread and got nothing about SteelSeries Apex M800 Mechanical Keyboard. so I'll ask then...

anyone here use the Apex M800 and can give me his impressions on the QS1 switches mechanical? (supposed it's designed for gaming first and not typing like the other mechanical keyboards)

Pretty sure they're just rebranded Kailh switches, so Chinese knock-off Cherries. Outlandish price tag, too.

Orayn

Pretty sure they're just rebranded Kailh switches, so Chinese knock-off Cherries. Outlandish price tag, too.

From what I can tell, the QS1 is a new switch made by Kailh. The internal design is probably another Cherry knockoff like Kailh's others, but the selling point on these seems to be that they have a shorter throw (3mm vs 4) and a shorter actuation distance. (1.5mm vs 2)

It's pretty similar to what Logitech has in their new high end mechanical, so demoing one of those might give you a general idea of how these feel.

My K70 review:

So I've probably put about 8 hours on this keyboard now. Coming from a Microsoft Sidewinder Keyboard

Pros:
- It feels good right away. There no "getting used to"
- My accuracy went up immediately for typing and my hands tend to wander less
- Dedicated volume wheel and mute switch placement is perfect. No accidents and easy to modulate volume with the wheel
- Backlighting is good but nothing earth shattering
- Playing moba's is better for me as my hands tend to find the keys easier. I have thick fingers so misclicking has always been an issues for me in games
- Dedicated disable windows key is nice
- Options for backlights is good but should allow customization on which keys you want backlit via software

Cons:
- the wrist pad has a nice feel but I think it need to be a big higher since the keys are high
- even with brown switches there is noise. No way I'd call it silent
- It's certainly not cheap at $120

Unknown:
- Won't know how easy it is to clean until I need do
- Don't know how the back light performance will hold up
- General feel and wear

Summary: highly recommended.

Shiina

really? oh wow. so false advertising? (since S1 switches been the big selling point of this keyboard)

Well they're still mechanical and all (though linear and low profile so they'll probably feel quite similar to rubberdomes). Afaik they're the same (or near the same) switches Razer has been using for their keyboards since 2014.
The drawing point of those QS1s seems to be that they're low profile* so that would technically reduce the travel speed, thus making them 'faster' but I can't see that as any more than a gimmick. You'll mostly be paying for brand name, RGB LEDs and macro keys instead product quality.
Another thing is that those switches seem to have non-standard stems so you'll never be able to replace the caps. And with the caps most likely being made out of ABS they'd probably need replacing in under a year.

The $200 price tag seems crazy when you could be getting a much higher build quality keyboard with PBT keys for far less. It's just strange seeing this 1337 gaming spaceship from them when the 7G and 6Gv2 were quite ahead of their time, back when there was Filco and not that much else on the mech keyboard market.

*oh apparently they also have shorter throw and actuation - I can see this keyboard feeling quite a bit different from a normal mechanical keyboard because of all of those factors. Not sure if that's a good thing, though.

Orayn

*oh apparently they also have shorter throw and actuation - I can see this keyboard feeling quite a bit different from a normal mechanical keyboard because of all of those factors. Not sure if that's a good thing, though.

Based on reviews of those new Logitech switches, which I've demo'd an which these sound fairly similar to, it'd probably feel MX Browns with o-rings or a really high quality rubber dome. With that in mind, the price is the main sticking point.

Chesskid1

Banned
my ducky shine 3 arrived today.

went with the TKL version and i must admit it feels more comfortable not having to spread my hands as much when gaming. TKL 4 lyfe from now on methinks. still reach over for the numpad sometimes though.

it also seems ducky stopped including the alternate spacebar. i think the original one was too flashy. i asked about it to NCIX and they said ducky stopped including them but they had extras since ppl were complaining and they'll mail one out to me. pretty nice of them.

also it's my first time using blue switches as my first board was red. i really love the tactile click, so much more satisfying. i dunno about gaming though, red seems a bit better since the tactile click is more suited to regular typing imo, but maybe it's because i'm still not used to it.

paid $105 for the ducky and i think i'll use it for forever.

Bastables

From what I can tell, the QS1 is a new switch made by Kailh. The internal design is probably another Cherry knockoff like Kailh's others, but the selling point on these seems to be that they have a shorter throw (3mm vs 4) and a shorter actuation distance. (1.5mm vs 2)

It's pretty similar to what Logitech has in their new high end mechanical, so demoing one of those might give you a general idea of how these feel.

The thing is the Chinese Kailh knock off have always had shorter actuation and travel than the German cherry's. Razer was the first to start marketing these different tolerances as "fur da gamerz" and even went so far as to rebrand kailh to hide their producer, when they could not secure enough cherry's at lower prices.

I'd be leery of assigning an actual r&d effort to make the switch's better and "responsive" and more a result of the different manufacturing tolerances between a factory in Germany vs one in China leading to slightly different operating specs, which marketing have picked up on and run around like headless chickens.

Cherry MX Browns are my favourite. Perfect middle ground between blacks and blues.

Logitech G710+ is a very good keyboard with cherry mx brown switches, I have 2 and I absolutely love them.

Small%20%282%20of%207%29.jpg

Comes with a wrist rest as well.

madmook

^ Well speak of the devil.

Just bought a Logitech G710+ from Fry's (it's on sale today for $69.99) and typing with it right now.

It's my first mechanical keyboard and I wanted to choose cherry mx browns anyways (chosen based on what I've read about the different switch types). It is pretty decent thusfar. Though I've been using the "membrane" keyboards so long that I don't really have any issues using those either. I've just always seen this thread pop up every so often and curiosity got the better of me.

My only complaint thusfar is the status indicator lights for numlock, capslock, etc. are a bit on the bright side. I keep numlock on all the time so that little led is already burning a hole in my retinas, and it isn't even dark yet.

Cooler Master Storm Quickfire TK Stealth w/ Brown switches only £50 here

http://www.ebuyer.com/584047-cooler...ical-gaming-keyboard-cherry-sgk-4021-gkcm1-uk

Are these going to be a lot louder than normal keys? I can deal with a bit more noise, but not too much as I type plenty at night.

Browns aren't super loud. I've used that keyboard and think it's fine. No where near as loud as my blue.
Oh, but so good! The loudness makes whatever you're typing feel 10x more awesome.

Typing on something other than blues makes me feel insecure

Giolon

Cooler Master Storm Quickfire TK Stealth w/ Brown switches only £50 here

http://www.ebuyer.com/584047-cooler...ical-gaming-keyboard-cherry-sgk-4021-gkcm1-uk

Are these going to be a lot louder than normal keys? I can deal with a bit more noise, but not too much as I type plenty at night.

They're a little louder certainly than shitty nipple/membrane or scissor keys in your average keyboard. It's not bad though. I've been using them for years in my old Razer Black Widow Stealth.

Top Bottom